Skip to content

Gorions ward is dead!!! Where did he die?

Hi all,

The name of the game is as the title reads.

But, to unnecissarily repeat myself (for clarity), this is the premise; unfortunately, Gorions ward did NOT manage to defeat Sarevok / Joneleth / Melissan.

The answer to the question thus becomes; "How far did he make it?"

This thread is about realism - or at least whichever realism is realistic in a world filled with supernatural events and monstrous beasts - which is why I elect Gorions ward to be a human male fighter mage, but if you disagree, go ahead and chose whichever class and gender you feel makes more sense.

Why?
I always imagined Gorions Ward as a he for several arbitrary reasons, amongst which the top one is that his sister is a she, so for (at least in my mind) storytelling reasons he should be a he.

Further, I imagine that he is a fighter / wizard. Why? Becuase, obviously, as Gorions Ward Wizardry is what Gorion would have tried to pass on to his son, but, as is alleged to during chapter 0, Gorion is keen to have his ward practice fighting to better survive the future Gorion knows will come sooner or later in one form or another (though he failed to predict when and in what form).

Sorcerer I also think is fine, because while practising for wizard, if you have any dormant natural talent, that would probably flare up. So, do Gorions Ward have any magical blood in his lineage? Hmm, let's see, he is the son of a God, does that count?

But why human? Imoen is human, Sarevok is human. Thus, for equally arbitrary storytelling reasons, I also think Gorions ward should be human.

With that out of the way, this is where I think he would succumb: Shoal of Nereid (the kiss of death Siren).

Why?
Lets look at the obstacles (before Shoal of Nereid) that may present a problem for Gorions Ward*:

*I ignore all gibberlings etc, because RL "heroes", or perhaps "fated" people or whatever you wish to call them, like Harald Hardrada, Erwin Rommel and Alexander the Great, despite fighting several battles, tend to die only when a) fight a stronger foe in a duelish situation b) fight a weaker foe, but end up in a hopeless fight due to poor tactics c) fall to a plot or unexpected circumstance.

1. Carbos and Shank

While Gorions Ward have no sharp combat experience, Carbos and Shank are just two overconfident bullies, and Gorions Ward is by training experienced. Further, they can be expected to be in poor physical condition, since they are poor and lazy (remember, they are deadbeats, which is why they wanted some "easy" money by murdering some kid for blood money), whereas Gorions ward is well nourished and highly motivated (because Gorion made sure of that). While probably scary to fight for your life for the first time, Gorions Ward is undoubtly the better combatant.

2. Tarnesh

Tarnesh is actually a strong candidate for getting the better of Gorions Ward. Tarnesh is likely some manner of assasin with many lives on his consciousness, while Gorions Ward is still very unexperienced. However, Tarnesh is also overconfident. He starts a fight in the middle of the Friendly Arms Inn, not only attracting the attention of the guards, but also attacking a party of four (I imagine Gorions Ward would keep his sister around, and also befriend Xzar and Monty, due to safety in numbers). Even if Tarnesh were to kill Gorions Ward, he would still be killed, because he cannot hope to fight that many people. In fact, these people will swarm him, once he declares his intentions. Thus, I imagine that unless Tarnesh gets Gorions Ward with his first spell, he will be overwhelmed and defeated before he can cast a second, and thus Gorions Ward survives this encounter.

3. Mulahey

While strong, remember that Gorions ward does not fight alone. A more realistic Jaheiera and Khalid are actually not lvl 1, 2 or even 3, but seasoned veterans. In a one on one, Mulahey would likely win, but it is not one on one, and Mulaheys reinforcements of kobolds and skellies are rather weak compared to Gorions wards companions. In my mind, Mulahey is hopelessly outgunned in this fight, and does not stand the slimmest chance of winning.

4. Various Nashkel assasins

I consider the priest and rogue in Nashkel even stronger candidates than Tarnesh. However, again, I have to look at Gorions Wards party. I think that with teamwork they will foil the assasination attempts (albeit perhaps losing Xzar or Monty in the clash).

Ok, now to Shoal of Nereid.

Gorions Ward is a 20 year old virgin, approached by a gorgeous woman offering to kiss him. Now, I know that in the game you have no option but let whomever speaks to the seductive siren kiss her, but remember this thread is about realism. So, Gorions ward could, in theory, push her awar or stab her or somesuch. However, the kiss seems harmless enough, and even though the stories told by Gorion probably warned of such creatures, in the heat of the moment Gorions Ward probably won't have time to think it through before it is to late - sealing his fate.

Alternatively, if Gorions Ward did keep his wits about, or simply did not feel like exploring every inch of the coastline, I imagine that he would succumb in the fight with the assasins in front of the forest mine. They are strong, perhaps not individually any one of them is as strong as Jaheira, but ALL of them are strong, and they are a tightly knit unit that have perfected tactics, while Gorions party is a mixed bag without clear tactics other than "kill the others". I think Gorions Wards party would be defeated here.

So, to participate, 1) describe your Gorions Ward and 2) describe where he / she died. Include a reasons for why if you feel like it, and hide it in spoiler tags if it becomes very long.

Have fun!

Comments

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    elminster said:

Mine would be a generalist mage of course. I like to think that he'd die the night after facing his first wolf. For the first wolf he would successfully cast a sleep spell and then run away. But given the long journey to the Friendly Arm Inn he would eventually need to rest. That is when he would be ambushed by at least a few wild dogs (who would ultimately kill him).

Considering the weakness of low level mages, it's a very probable outcome.

Mine would be a human fighter, who would be quite good at what he does (because exceptional strength). He would kill a few critters like diseased gibberlings and wild dogs, giving him enough experience to get to level two. Then, he would become a bit too confident, and would engage a fetishist ogre. Crit = chunked to death.
  • SyndareeSyndaree Member Posts: 56
    Mine would be a sorcerer. I find it very likely he would die in the Undercellar of Baldur's Gate being back stabbed by Slythe. The fight would be on the enemy's turf and not charname's and Slythe was obviously powerful and cunning enough to assassinate a grand duke. With no stoneskin the charname would get oneshot and that's that.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @DrakeICN, why the assumption Gorion Ward is virgin?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Gorion didn't make it in time and the priesthood of Bhaal killed both Charname and Sarevok.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201

Think about it. You probably died to kobolds more than you did to any other critter in the game.

Or traps. Or friendly fire. A snakebite. Drowning in a river.
    It's not about how you lost the game, it should be a story about Gorion's ward. Nobody would know the guy or care about his end if he already died in the Nashkel mines. We should assume he survived the initial perils and was on a good way to become a great hero,,,until suddenly...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Think about it. You probably died to kobolds more than you did to any other critter in the game.

It's not about how you lost the game, it should be a story about Gorion's ward. Nobody would know the guy or care about his end if he already died in the Nashkel mines. We should assume he survived the initial perils and was on a good way to become a great hero,,,until suddenly...
    (well if it is in that case)

Nimbul. As soon as you leave the mines (back the way you came mind you). Explained your exploits to the mayor. With the traveling carnival in town, bards pick up your story (not to mention Volo) and excaudate it. Then off to the inn for a well deserve rest only to die a few feet away from the entrance.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited August 2017
    deltago said:

Nimbul. As soon as you leave the mines (back the way you came mind you). Explained your exploits to the mayor. With the traveling carnival in town, bards pick up your story (not to mention Volo) and excaudate it. Then off to the inn for a well deserve rest only to die a few feet away from the entrance.
    These assassins never made much sense to me, Yes, the first, while you were alone at Candlekeep. Maybe even Tarnesh to hinder you to meet Jaheira and Khalid.
    But thereafter? They must have known you were in strong company, a party of six. According to their letters they were not suicidal fanatics but did it for money - how did they think they could get away with their attacks? Nimbul, a single man aginst a party of six? Even if he killed the protagonist, how would he survive the others and get away to spend his 300(?) gold?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

deltago said:

These assassins never made much sense to me, Yes, the first, while you were alone at Candlekeep. Maybe even Tarnesh to hinder you to meet Jaheira and Khalid.
    But thereafter? They must have known you were in strong company, a party of six. According to their letters they were not suicidal fanatics but did it for money - how did they think they could get away with their attacks? Nimbul, a single man aginst a party of six? Even if he killed the protagonist, how would he survive the others and get away to spend his 300(?) gold?
    Casts fear at a low level party. Level 1-2? A magic missile or two will kill you quite easily. Probably saw it as being no different than Charname striding into a mine full of kobolds.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623

deltago said:

Gorions Ward hunts down bandits for 50 gold per scalp. Nimbul percieves Gorions ward, and his party, the same way Gorions Ward percieves bandits; eeeasy gold. Big mistake, as it turns out... but Nimbul did not realize that until it was to late.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

deltago said:

Maybe he figured he could get away. On account of him being so nimble.
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Well I'd go a step further and say the arrow(s) that you take trying to run away would likely outright kill you particularly if you're a squishy spellcaster, which I usually am.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @RVNS I always thought it was improbable that Sarevok would just up and leave after seeing Charname run off. Where's he/she going to hide in that area?

@Mush_Mush The combat info says you take damage from each arrow that hits you, enough to kill any mage. You at least end up with 1hp of damage in the original BG, but EE removed it.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Mush_Mush said:

Well I'd go a step further and say the arrow(s) that you take trying to run away would likely outright kill you particularly if you're a squishy spellcaster, which I usually am.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19698_7-deadly-things-you-wont-believe-most-people-survive.html

Getting shot have a 95% survival rate.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    DrakeICN said:

Mush_Mush said:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19698_7-deadly-things-you-wont-believe-most-people-survive.html

Getting shot have a 95% survival rate.
    To be fair, that's in the modern world, when you can usually get to a hospital in less than 30 minutes and be treated with advanced medicine, including anti-biotics, in a clean environment with lots of highly trained people around.

Get shot in the middle of the woods in the pre-modern world, and you just fall down and wait for the guy who shot you to run up and stab you in the neck.
    Chances are many low level charnames would die to ankhegs on the bloody main trade road as well.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2017
    If we are talking about realism, Gorions ward had to be dead in Candlekeep in his first fight against experienced assassine-BH (who managed to infiltrate the fortress, btw). If not the first one (that could somehow trip and fall on his own dagger), then the second one. No matter how much theory one had, Ward have not been in a real fight to the death to that point.

Or, to be precise, after the first attempt all gurds had to be on high alert and Ward locked up somewhere without a chance to go for any journey :)
    Balrog99 said:

Mirandel said:

If we are talking about realism, Gorions ward had to be dead in Candlekeep in his first fight against experienced assassine-BH (who managed to infiltrate the fortress, btw). If not the first one (that could somehow trip and fall on his own dagger), then the second one. No matter how much theory one had, Ward have not been in a real fight to the death to that point.

Or, to be precise, after the first attempt all gurds had to be on high alert and Ward locked up somewhere without a chance to go for any journey :)

Well to be totally realistic, Gorion would likely have made Charname and himself invisible to safely deliver his ward to Jaheira and Khalid. I guess Gorion's wisdom must be a 3 to try to stroll all the way to the Friendly Arm without the best camouflage magic has to offer.

If that precaution had been taken, I think those kobold commandos would likely have dispatched Charname in the mines though. Gorion's plan sure had a Hell of a lot of holes. Maybe he knew his ward had access to Power Word Reload...
    I like to headcanon that they were both invis and walked into a bubble of true sight
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Not sure how big a bubble of true sight is but I'd imagine they'd have to be extremely unlucky to walk through one just by chance. Even one of the BG area squares is pretty large compared to the size of two people.