Skip to content

What about sleeping in a Bag of holding

SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
Calling all experts! I have a super-serious question that need urgent answers! :D

So if I would go of adventuring in the forgotten realms, what would happen according to rules and lore if I brought a bag of holding and used it to sleep in? If I got in, would I find myself out or would I be stuck in there for ever because I have been magically miniaturized and my tiny, tiny hands can't open the bag and climb out?
ShikaoMontresor_SPJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrNonnahswriterAedan[Deleted User]

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @Grond0; what if I only crawled down up until my neck, having my head outside of the bag or pulled it around my head like a hoodie only sticking out my nose?

@Gusinda; regarding the size of the opening, considering I have no issues stuffing full platemails in there, I think I could crawl myself in as well if I take one leg at a time and then gently pull it upwards over my waist and onwards.

If there's no air in there I could just stick out a straw through the opening and breath through it. Also, even though not in BG, I believe I have read about a FR spell that let's mages cast spells that let them breath underwater. So one of those, one invisibility and I'm of to dreamland.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Skatan said:

@Grond0; what if I only crawled down up until my neck, having my head outside of the bag or pulled it around my head like a hoodie only sticking out my nose?

But presumably there's a reason you want to sleep in the bag of holding in the first place. I would have thought reasons could be:
    1) Because the bag of holding is really a pocket dimension and you want to relax in a 4 poster bed with a bottle of wine - not terribly feasible with your head sticking out.
    2) Because you're trying to sleep somewhere that resting is not normally allowed - seems unlikely that would be changed for an apparently disembodied head.
    3) Because you want to rest without being disturbed by enemies - again seems unlikely they would be scared off by a strangely shaped bag.
    Skatan[Deleted User]Proont
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Note that breathing underwater is not the same as not breathing. Now I don't know hat happens if you fill your bag of holding with water (because quite frankly who does that) but supposedly you'd end up depleting the oxygen in the water too, and there's really no reason to assume it'd last you any longer.

Although that makes me want to give my players a portable hole full of water and see what they do with it.
    mf2112[Deleted User]Proont
    @Gusinda; NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! COME BACK!

(FYI, I am a dwarf! But a lean, agile one)
    Aerakar
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Just don't bring your bag into the mansion.... >:)
    Anduin[Deleted User]
    Anduin said:

However this spell, with its gardens to produce air could... Will allow you to live in your own portal...

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Magnificent Mansion#content

However... Sleep in your... Bag, if you must.

I see now why all parties roaming around would want a good mage with them! Every night you sit down with 100 servants serving you a banquet for 100 persons! That sure beats the five goodberries I have stuffed in my sleeping bag bag of holding.
    [Deleted User]Anduin
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I love the above post but...

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Bag of Holding#content

You just have to think about the item to retrieve it... And if you don't know what is in the bag you just tip it upside down.

Also... 10 minutes of air. I honestly think some oxygen cannisters or something capable of producing air without portalling it on and you could sleep in one... Or even smuggle a small army past the gate...
    SkatanBGLoverZaghoul
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Anduin said:
    My DM was a lying &!*!£)*%!

He had us paying 500gp a month to the BOHRB, for each bag of holding!

And they lost my elephant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm mad.

SkatanProont
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    If any of my players tried to do that, I'd allow it just for how creative and hilarious that idea is.
    SkatanBGLoverThacoBell
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Why don't we just ask Hexxat what it is like to sleep in a BoH?
    SkatanProont
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Tresset said:

Why don't we just ask Hexxat what it is like to sleep in a BoH?

No pulse - no opinion!
    ArtonaProont
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited September 2017
    Anduin said:

I love the above post but...

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Bag of Holding#content

You just have to think about the item to retrieve it... And if you don't know what is in the bag you just tip it upside down.

Also... 10 minutes of air. I honestly think some oxygen cannisters or something capable of producing air without portalling it on and you could sleep in one... Or even smuggle a small army past the gate...

You'd think a mage could make an oxygen producing/recycling spell, I mean we had the ol water breathing items n such. ;)

Post edited by Zaghoul on