Skip to content

Candlekeep Inn - Roadhouse?

I have just started a new game of Baldur's Gate and I am standing outside Candlekeep Inn and it has suddenly occurred to me that I am about to go into the tavern to buy a sword. What kind of establishment is Winthrop running? I've been into a few rough places in my time but I have never yet been into a pub where they sell weapons at the door.
TressetThacoBellZaghoul[Deleted User]Aerakar

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Lol, that never occurred to me before! Isn't Candlekeep supposed to be relatively isolated and peaceful compared to the rest of the area? Feldpost's Inn also sells weapons, but they are described as trophy items.
    Permidion_Stark
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

I have just started a new game of Baldur's Gate and I am standing outside Candlekeep Inn and it has suddenly occurred to me that I am about to go into the tavern to buy a sword. What kind of establishment is Winthrop running? I've been into a few rough places in my time but I have never yet been into a pub where they sell weapons at the door.

It's the only place in the realms where the weapons are as clean as an even arse!
    Permidion_StarkArctodusAerakar
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    He's really Patrick Swayze in disguise.
    Permidion_StarkBalrog99Aerakar
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    That's just Baldur's Gate Logic to you =P
    tbone1
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    It's not just an inn though is it?
    No other shops, isolated location, one business established for all the locals' needs.

Years and years ago a local pub I knew in the countryside had an attached shop. It had an "off licence" for alcohol but it also sold milk, sweets, food stuffs, household goods, ect. It made good business sense. You had to ring a bell or go to the bar to get one of the staff to serve you in the shop.
    ZaghoulThacoBelltbone1Aerakar
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    The best explanation I can come up with is somebody used the weapons to pay their bar tab, and that's how he accumulated an arsenal over the years. ;)
    tbone1ThacoBellPermidion_StarkAerakar
    tbone1 said:

Aha! Hey @UnderstandMouseMagic I think we have it! Remember when you were asking why Imoen would become a thief? It's because Winthrop is a fence!

Man, is this game's plot thorough and well thought out.

Of course Winthrop is a fence. I usually play as thief (at least at the start, why do you think I'm so antagonistic towards Imoen, she's muscling in on my turf). It's how he gets away with, (every single time), buying the star sapphire which you nick from his guests.

He has contacts...say no more....unless you want a visit from the "boys"....or want to wake up cuddling Nessie's head....or want to find out how to type with no fingers........
    Candlekeep Inn is a veritable den of iniquity.
    Winthorp is the big man on campus, cross him at your peril.
    You think he's joking.........how little do they know
    Permidion_Starktbone1ZaghoulAerakar
    edited September 2017
    He also played the lead in several naughty French postcards. *tips hat to the late Spike Milligan*
    Aerakar
    tbone1 said:

He also played the lead in several naughty French postcards. *tips hat to the late Spike Milligan*

How clean was his ar......no I can't go there. o:)
    Aerakar

tbone1 said:

How clean was his ar......no I can't go there. o:)
    Ah, but you did, Eccles, you did. (Sorry, been listening to old Goon Shows lately and enjoying them immensely.)

Aerakar