Skip to content

Favorite *minor* NPCs?

My favorite thing about BG1 is the number on small, pointless, brilliant interactions with random NPCs, whether accidentally talking a nobleman out of suicide, or encountering a vengeful Xvart with a pet bear, or talking with a *very* strange priestess of Leira, etc. Thinking about little moments like those continue to make me smile.

I was wondering which non-joinable side characters you folks remember the most? (And, y'know, why?)
ArctodusPermidion_Starktbone1ThacoBell

Comments

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    How about Calahan in Ulgoth's Beard ? Answering to him in an Irish/sailor tone always cracks me up, I don't know why.
    UnderstandMouseMagicvreishtbone1Aerakar
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    That drunken lich guy near Beregost temple. Still make me smile after all these years
    vreishPermidion_StarkBelgarathMTHAerakar
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Cabal82 said:

That drunken lich guy near Beregost temple. Still make me smile after all these years

The one who falls over? And then sleeps peacefully with all the wolves, worgs, hobgoblins, vampiric wolves, ect. ect. who are on that map. They do say the Gods look after drunks.

Even better though is the drunken priest in the cemetary in Athkatla. It's added by a mod, Unfinished Business I think, possibly Extended Banters?
    Don't know who did the voice acting but that's one of the best I've ever heard for a drunk.
    vreishZaghoul
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Drizzt

those goodies be too good to pass up :)
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    My favourite is Hafiz - the astrologer, mage, scientist and seer you meet in the wilderness east of the Nashkel mines. The main reason I like meeting him is because you get to call him a "geezer gnome", which is a phrase you don't get to use often enough in real life.
    SkatanAerakar
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    vreish said:

My favorite thing about BG1 is the number on small, pointless, brilliant interactions with random NPCs, whether accidentally talking a nobleman out of suicide, or encountering a vengeful Xvart with a pet bear, or talking with a *very* strange priestess of Leira, etc. Thinking about little moments like those continue to make me smile.

I was wondering which non-joinable side characters you folks remember the most? (And, y'know, why?)

a *very* strange priestess of Leira
    If you mean the one in BG1 near Sorcerous Sundries, that one is a quest giver from NTotSC mod. If you chose the right dialogue options, she gives you a large quest to find "The Great Book of Unknowing".
    In my last playthrough I used the Sandrah mod and found that quite a large number of those mentioned already + many more now had an additional line or two that suddenly made them more relevant to the proceedings. I found the idea was really refreshing and I started once again to talk to more of those NPCs just to see if they had something new to say, and many had.
    Bleriot
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    For years I always liked Tenya and the little quest that went with it, thinking there could have been so much more here. I wanted to meet up with the Talos folks the fishermen talked of, or have Tenya join me. Now she is an NPC. :) I think those types of NPC conversions make the best, especially for the memorable ones being mentioned here. I remember the first time she went on to say something other than her usual lines and could join as a playable NPC. Great stuff.

Many of those mentioned already could make awesome playable NPC's.

Additional:
    The crawling green flesh dude in the BG sewers, the one blessed by Schlumpsha. I remember thinkin that while playing as an oozemaster, that would be an interesting group to join ( Schlumpsha and his roving band of sewerites.

Lately, while playing as an ogre, Larze. Cause dang, that dude can hit hard. Id turn him to my side, not to hard after turning him OFF me.
    tbone1ThacoBell
    edited October 2017
    Zaghoul said:

For years I always liked Tenya and the little quest that went with it, thinking there could have been so much more here. I wanted to meet up with the Talos folks the fishermen talked of, or have Tenya join me. Now she is an NPC. :) I think those types of NPC conversions make the best, especially for the memorable ones being mentioned here. I remember the first time she went on to say something other than her usual lines and could join as a playable NPC. Great stuff.

Many of those mentioned already could make awesome playable NPC's.

Additional:
    The crawling green flesh dude in the BG sewers, the one blessed by Schlumpsha. I remember thinkin that while playing as an oozemaster, that would be an interesting group to join ( Schlumpsha and his roving band of sewerites.

Lately, while playing as an ogre, Larze. Cause dang, that dude can hit hard. Id turn him to my side, not to hard after turning him OFF me.

Adding some to your new list
    Minor NPCs enhanced by mods to become joinable NPCs
    - Tenya (as mentioned already)
    - Angelo (returns in BG2 to join you)
    - Melicamp (can join you in EET Return to Faerun)
    - Solaufein (covered by two mods already)
    - Drizzt (BG1 Drizzt Saga and BG2 Region of Terror)
    - special case - Djinni companion mod - I think it is inspired by those djinni NPCs in the game but I can't remember anymore if its one of those or a new one
    - maybe more?
    ZaghoulAerakarverlaine
    Another category:
    Enemies turned to joinable NPCs
    - Sarevok
    - Irenicus per *Longer Road* mod
    - Caelar...rumours that mods providing her are under construction
    - Melissan? - only a mod that covers the time after ToB could provide that. I played the only one I know of, EET Return to Faerun, but she's not there or I missed it.
    Zaghoulverlaine
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

"Hi, I'm Well-Adjusted Al, and my prices are sensible. I used to be called Crazy Al, but therapy has convinced me that selling plate armour for 3 gold pieces and a small duck was no way to get ahead in business."

I think I found my new favorite minor NPC today.
    Crazy Al was never really that crazy. That plate armour was really expensive. I mean d'you know how hard it is to find a small duck on the Sword Coast? You could offer the guy a chicken instead - because that's close to a duck, right? - but it was no dice, has to be a duck.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    If we're counting BG2, then Mook should be considered. She is rather unimpressed with CHARNAME, which I find appealing.
    Permidion_StarkZaghoulThacoBellverlaine
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    In BG1 Narlen. He's the sole reason I don't obliterate the Thieves Guild when Alatos speaks out of turn.

In BG2/ToB I'm fond of Madulf and his gang. Imagine that, an ogre, minotaur and hobgoblin group that don't attack you on sight!
    tbone1ZaghoulThacoBellUnderstandMouseMagic
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Kurona said:

In BG1 Narlen. He's the sole reason I don't obliterate the Thieves Guild when Alatos speaks out of turn.

In BG2/ToB I'm fond of Madulf and his gang. Imagine that, an ogre, minotaur and hobgoblin group that don't attack you on sight!

I was surprised to meet Narlen in SoD. His quests in BG1 make the thieves guild almost seem like a stronghold of sorts.
    Shar-Teel for SoD mod by @elminster :)

Madulf, yup. If restartitis does not get me, my ogre PC will be looking forward to that meeting.
    elminsterverlaine
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Mr. Shade! Or how some guy stole my pantaloons and my heart at the same time.
    Xavioria
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

"Hi, I'm Well-Adjusted Al, and my prices are sensible. I used to be called Crazy Al, but therapy has convinced me that selling plate armour for 3 gold pieces and a small duck was no way to get ahead in business."

I think I found my new favorite minor NPC today.
    Crazy Al was never really that crazy. That plate armour was really expensive. I mean d'you know how hard it is to find a small duck on the Sword Coast? You could offer the guy a chicken instead - because that's close to a duck, right? - but it was no dice, has to be a duck.
    Could try offering Dynaheir. She's a witch, therefore weighs the same as a duck.
    KuronaPermidion_StarkBalrog99Aerakar
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Black Lilly! Best in-game voice and lots of personality. Join the Black Lilly fan club today.
    ZaghoulPermidion_StarkAerakarverlaine
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    No mention of Portalbendarwinden?
    tbone1

Cabal82 said:

The one who falls over? And then sleeps peacefully with all the wolves, worgs, hobgoblins, vampiric wolves, ect. ect. who are on that map. They do say the Gods look after drunks.

Even better though is the drunken priest in the cemetary in Athkatla. It's added by a mod, Unfinished Business I think, possibly Extended Banters?
    Don't know who did the voice acting but that's one of the best I've ever heard for a drunk.
    Yes, that one! He is a Lich you know, so all foul beasts nearby tremble in fear! Just love his corn line.
    How can I forget! Mad Arcand and his ring! Great moment to find him there - always raining in that location.
    ThacoBelltbone1Elendar
    Cabal82 said:

Cabal82 said:

Yes, that one! He is a Lich you know, so all foul beasts nearby tremble in fear! Just love his corn line.
    The *I'm a Lich* mini-quest is an addon from a mod, therefore not everybody may have seen this.
    Bleriot

Cabal82 said:

Cabal82 said:

The *I'm a Lich* mini-quest is an addon from a mod, therefore not everybody may have seen this.
    I always play BG without any mods. So he is REAL lich with miniquest in some mod?
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Cabal82 said:

How can I forget! Mad Arcand and his ring! Great moment to find him there - always raining in that location.

I was going to post that this is my favorite random NPC...

"I like you, yes I do (wertle, wertle, wertle, wooo...) and I know of a way to make you like me too (wertle, wertle, wertle-wooooo...). Down by the ocean, down by the sea, there's a pirate ship waiting for you and for me. Bring me what's in it, but don't ever wear it, or sure enough, soon enough, you'll wertle too..."