Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited October 2017
    Grond0 said:

I wouldn't take liches too casually. You would need a spell save of -5 or below to ensure the avoidance of status effects you're not immune to - are your basic saves really that low?

Not without buffs.

My spell save sits at -2, going to -6 with Improved Invisibility (I keep the Air ring for emergencies and have Imoen cast it on me regularly whenever a spellcaster is nearby). I also gulped a Potion of Invulnerability the handful of times I was hit with Malison.

I may skip the Twisted Rune in this run. (I don't like closed spaces with spell casters and beholders. I lost a run there sometime ago, I think.)

Pondering if I should attempt Kangaxx though....
    lolien
    Side question: are there extra Strength boost items in ToB?

So far, I am choosing not to assemble Crom Faeyr as Jaheira, Viconia, and Minsc all use Strength items. (In Viconia's case this also means the freedom to use Full Plate and Large Shield.)

Not sure if I should grab this hammer before I move on or not.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Ygramul: These are the STR-boosting stuff you can find in ToB:

1. Angurvadal: 22 STR (temporarily at first, then while equipped after upgrading it)
    2. Girdle of Fire Giant Strength: 22 STR
    3. Wish: 25 STR (four rounds only, relies on random Wish options)
    4. Machine of Lum the Mad: +1 STR, permanent

I'm not a big fan of Crom Faeyr, but mathematically, it's usually a good investment. Crom Faeyr's 25 STR grants +7 to hit and +14 to damage, while the gauntlets and girdle grant +3/+6 and +4/+9, respectively.
    StummvonBordwehrYgramulJuliusBorisovAerakar

@Ygramul: These are the STR-boosting stuff you can find in ToB:

1. Angurvadal: 22 STR (temporarily at first, then while equipped after upgrading it)
    2. Girdle of Fire Giant Strength: 22 STR
    3. Wish: 25 STR (four rounds only, relies on random Wish options)
    4. Machine of Lum the Mad: +1 STR, permanent

I'm not a big fan of Crom Faeyr, but mathematically, it's usually a good investment. Crom Faeyr's 25 STR grants +7 to hit and +14 to damage, while the gauntlets and girdle grant +3/+6 and +4/+9, respectively.

Thank you. Good points to consider.

I am torn between metagaming these future items or ignoring this hammer for the moment.

--

Similarly torn about the decision of which jewelry to wear for my Cavalier:

Do I wear Kangaxx + Kazgaroth OR Kangaxx + Fire Control?

(I really like being Fire-immune as per second option since it means I can carpet-bomb atop my Cavalier with Incendiary Clouds and Fire Storms without worrying about dispelled protections. But the first option has much better saves.)

I hoped to dump Kazgaroth near endgame, but without it my Spell save (unbuffed) is stuck at -1 which is not scot-free from danger.
    Wise_Grimwald

Two thoughts:

1. Fire resistance is easier to switch out. Dragonscale helm and shield offer 50% and if a Dragon's Breath spell is on the horizon, you can always switch Gaxx for Ring of Fire Control. It will require a reaction on your party to block the damage, but fire damage is less likely to be instantly fatal than a failed save. Fire resistance potions are also easier to come by than save-boosting potions.
    2. Kazgaroth can grant guaranteed saves without using aura, but cannot be unequipped without Remove Curse. That will limit your options either way.

I don't like that -1 save vs. spell. An Ulitharid's Psionic Blast is -4, a Symbol, Stun spell is -4, Finger of Death is -2, and Remove Magic and Greater Malison are everywhere. Ascension Melissan imposes save penalties on hit, which only makes things that much worse.

It also depends on your save vs. death. Kazgaroth's +4 save penalty seems really dangerous in ToB, too. You can always equip the Spear of the Unicorn for +3 to saves vs. death, but Fallen Planetars have a vorpal strike effect with a -2 save vs. death in SCS, 25% chance of triggering per hit, and since the dispel effect occurs before the vorpal strike, I'm reasonably certain that Potions of Invulnerability will not keep you safe if the unthinkable happens.

Your unbuffed save vs. death needs to be -1 to guarantee a successful save against that vorpal strike. That should require the Helm of Balduran, Gaxx, Amulet of the Seldarine, Hell save bonuses, and Cloak of Protection +2 if you're also wearing Kazgaroth, unless paladin save bonuses also apply to saves vs. death.

A lot to think about.
    Thanks particularly for the Vorpal save breakdown. I was worried about that.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Grond0 Hard luck. I don't think that she has ever brought my runs to an end in the last few years. My usual tactic for neutral parties is to do her quest for the experience and then kill her.

Good parties wouldn't do that, though of course they would fight back in the case of a failed pickpocket.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    I believe the technical term is opps but soory for your loss @Grond0
    JuliusBorisov
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    So it's probably a good thing Grant Pix died to Khark, because he's also dying to the battle at the top of the Iron Throne tower. Mostly because I still don't have my zerks back.
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    Quick note about Corthief XIII the human thief:
    Traveling with: Shar-Teel, Viconia, Khalid, Imoen

The run is still going but ran into a problem that I would never get in EasyTutu. Namely, I turned in Melicamp to Thalantyr, but we can't find any skeletons to kill (think we killed them already without looting the skull). I tried resting, but they don't appear to be respawning. And when I talk to Thalantyr, there is no option to buy anything, he just reminds you to find a skull, which we can't do.

So not only did the Melicamp quest fail, we apparently can't get the robe of the good arch magi for Imoen either.

But will keep at it. This never happens in EasyTutu as the skeletons spawn forever. I gotta remember these quirks of EE.
    EnuhalWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    edited October 2017
    @StummvonBordwehr Congrats over Sarevok's defeat! Something you should know is that Sanctuary provides no damage resistances, but rather that no enemy can target you directly with attacks or spells. Area damage and traps will still have full effect.
    @Corey_Russell Skeletons respawn in the EE: if you wander around in the night, you'll get a group eventually.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrArctodus

@Ygramul If you feel SoA is not challenging, compensate it by installing the Tactics component for the final SoA fight.

Considering this for a future run. Thank you.

But I have yet to complete a trilogy run -- and made it into ToB rarely enough that I want to try to base game first (+ SCS AI, of course).
    JuliusBorisovAerakarWise_Grimwald
    JuliusBorisov said...

@Corey_Russell To get new respawns just go from one side of the map to another - the spawns happen when you cross certain markers, not when you rest.

I canvassed the entire map - all edges of map and interior - no spawns.

Neverused said...

@Corey_Russell Skeletons respawn in the EE: if you wander around in the night, you'll get a group eventually.

I'll try that, thanks!
    Wise_Grimwald
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited October 2017

@Grond0 At least, it wasn't due to chunking this time. But to tell the truth, I'd feel gutted to lose because of Nemphre, who is at about 0.1% of being important during the run.

That end's not surprising (or particularly annoying) to me. In a completionist run there are so many opportunities for problems that unless you take a more risk-averse approach than I tend to do the odds have a way of catching up with you eventually :p.

@Corey_Russell To get new respawns just go from one side of the map to another - the spawns happen when you cross certain markers, not when you rest.
    You do get spawns when you rest, although they're not particularly common. However, given that resting only takes a second it's vastly quicker to rest half a dozen or so times until an ambush occurs than to hunt all across the map for a respawn.

You don't have to wander all over the map Corey - each time you come into sight of an encounter spot there's a chance of respawning. Thus you can just go backwards and forwards over the same encounter spot until one appears (resting is quicker for the skeletons, but the above is the general situation if you want to do something like farming XP for instance).
    JuliusBorisovWise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehr
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks for mentioning me in that list :) And that is an interesting idea. I think that deserves a separate thread, so that people maybe could even share not only classes/kits but also character concepts (like favourite spells used, restricted spells, restricted actions/items etc), or portraits.

That thread could also help in order not to miss anyone, like @Serg_BlackStrider (don't blame me for mentioning this), for example ;)
    semiticgoddessWise_GrimwaldSerg_BlackStrider
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I just created the thread, "Your Signature Character Class."
    lolien
    edited October 2017
    See above thread for my post.
    semiticgoddess
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858

What character class would best represent you?

I'd say Bard/Cleric but it's Baldur's Gate so that's invalid.
    Wise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehr