Skip to content

Your Signature Character Class

Everyone has a unique playstyle, both in terms of the classes they play and the items and spells they rely on to survive. What class best represents the way you play the game?

For me, it's a highly defensive gnomish cleric/illusionist who always memorizes rescue options like Teleport Field and Invisibility 10' Radius, and always buffs with Chaotic Commands and Death Ward to block Chaos spells or instant death effects that could otherwise bring an end to a no-reload run.
JuliusBorisovArctodusOrlonKronsteenAerakarStummvonBordwehrEnuhalGusindadunbarMantis37ZaghoulGrumNoobacca[Deleted User]EmpyriallolienBladeDancerProontHarpagornisAlesia_BH

Comments

• kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    I used to do Halforc barbarian but the Dwarven Defender is my go to class, then Dwarven barbarian. But I am always the in your face type.
    JuliusBorisovtbone1
  • Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2017
    Cavalier as Daevelon said or the mage (generalist). I just need to colect ALL that spells!
    JuliusBorisovthelovebatBaptor
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    I prefer versatility. I like a fighter/mage or a Thief/mage. lots of options and I like HLA selection for both.
    JuliusBorisovkanisathaProont
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Blackguards and Undead Hunters are my thing, now. I much prefer striking things to inflicting damage with magic (to me, magic is for defensive purposes, stripping enemy defenses and softening up targets for my fighters). I prefer to mete out the pain on the front lines, and the variety of weapons and armour and such that fighters can acquire really help keep the game interesting to me. I love the immunities and special abilities both classes get. My favourite is the immunity to level drain. Having this as an innate ability allows you to give items that prevent level drain to other members of your party, and doesn't force your fighter to use the mace of disruption when you'd really rather be using a flail or two-handed sword.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited October 2017

Human or half-elf thief

I always play the complete game, BGT in old days, EET now. For consistency I always make Imoen a mage by either mod or Near Infinity right from the beginning. I find thief useful in early game but also in many other situation and it gives me most flexibility for my ever-changing company. I rely very much on my NPCs contributing to success, thus my protagonist is rarely the strongest, best equipped, most important character in the party. My (most of the time female) thief fills out the gaps in my party, she's the girl for everything the others can't do. And at the ToB levels later, thief is as good to win the game as any other class.

In addition, for roleplay it gives me the freedom to act up to my own rules. I can steal and lie a bit without being outright evil, I do good deeds when it suits me, I follow no deity. I'm the Robin Hood type of thief.

I tried various bard kits for change but mostly come back to thief.

Almost forgot the most important advantage of a female thief - the male paladins don't try romance me!
    tbone1Kusel
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201

This question has turned out to be difficult for me. In order to find an answer, I've opened up the EE-Keeper to see all the characters I have started playing with in BG:EE since 2012 (single-player):

- an elf archer
    - a gnome illusionist/thief
    - a half-elf avenger
    - a human shadowdancer
    - an elf bounty-hunter
    - an elf fighter/thief (the character I finished BG:EE with in a no-reload no rest run)
    - an elf mage/thief
    - an elf assassin
    - a human wild mage
    - a human sorcerer
    - an elf sorcerer
    - a half-elf totemic druid (yes, that one)
    - a half-elf fighter/mage/thief
    - a dwarf wizard slayer
    - a half-elf cleric/mage
    - a half-elf jester
    - a gnome cleric/illusionist
    - a dwarf figher/thief
    - a half-orc assassin
    - a gnome cleric/illusionist
    - an elf fighter/thief
    - a gnome cleric/thief (also the character I finished SoD for the first time)
    - a dwarf fighter/cleric
    - an elf figher/mage/thief (the character I finished BG:EE with in a no-reload run)

All of the above were male characters.
    - a female dark moon monk (the character I finished BG:EE with in a no-reload run as a duo with Rasaad)

- a half-elf fighter/mage/cleric
    - a dwarf kensai
    - a human jester (called Phillip)
    - a gnome dragon disciple
    - an elf sorcerer
    - a human wizard slayer
    - a dwarf bounty-hunter

- a female human undead hunter (in the party of paladins and rangers only)

- a gnome illusionist/thief
    - a human skald
    - a half-orc shadowdancer
    - a half-elc cleric/mage
    - a half-elf sorcerer (the current character for a party LoB no-reload run with SCS)

I think this list might seem relatively small (no joke, I'm sure the folks here have a lot of characters). There were also BG2-only characters (although I usually play with only those characters who start in the Candlekeep), one of them is a female avenger druid with whom I finished BG2:EE for the first time (romancing Hexxat).

I also have to include a half-elf avenger (who died in the MP no-reload run with other forumites), a dwarf fighter/cleric (who also died in another MP no-reload run), an elf fighter/mage/thief (who died on the Werewolf iceland during the MP no-reload run but he wasn't a protagonist, thankfully) and a female halfling barbarian (who is currently in SoD in the MP no-reload run).

There are many partly thief characters in this list, most of them are backstabbers in the first place. But of course the biggest impressions are from the runs that in one way or another became important: a totemic druid who couldn't defeat the final ToB boss, an avenger druid who died in the first attempt of a MP no-reload run, a figher/cleric who followed the avenger's fate, a figher/mage/thief who turned to be the most powerful of characters I've ever tried, a cleric/thief with whom I finished SoD for the first time).

I also often use arcane casters, as all those sorcerers and illusionists show.

So, to answer the question about a signature character... even while I adore backstabbing thieves I would still choose a druid because of those memories both from the no-reload solo run and no-reload failed MP attempt. They had different kits, however (totemic druid vs avenger). For the good memories about our MP run, I would go with an avenger druid.

An impressive list.
    I'm not one to keep records or preserve savegames from all the playthroughs I've done ever since the original game was released.
    I may have tried most of them and many more kits and variations.

Over time, I have come back to ignore all that and reduce it to basics. Very often I abandoned PC's that looked promising and special bacause I found after a few chapters that I felt like playing someone else's game. I tried to figure out what that class or kit was supposed to mean and do and so on. After a while this got boring though and distracted me from the actual plot that interested me.

Such are the different types of players - some can spend hours to design and equip their PC while others like me just hastily click through character creation and just jump into it. Later in game pick up a few items/weapons/armour and concentrate on the adventures.

Some people do quests and journeys in a specific order to gain items and weapons they think they need, while others just take it as it comes their way and try to do with what they find. I'm that second type.

But most likely this comes with playing the game more often and finding that it's more fun to do it differently each time around. The good thing still is that there is no *right way* to win the game but a chance for almost any character with any choice of companions to make it into ToB's final battle.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Sorcerer. I love the ability to go completely nuclear... smashing trash mobs apart with AoE goodness.
    Wise_GrimwaldOrlonKronsteenAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    That would definitely be a healer multiclass.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I would say my signature BG series character is a gnomish Cleric/Thief, providing magical and non-magical support as only that class combo is capable of.

My signature D&D class though, has turn out to be bard. I love bards, I love playing bards. Bards are awesome. I should totally mod the BG series and make something like a dwarf bard. 'Cause reasons.
    ArctodusWise_GrimwaldAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Given that I like to play the long game by starting my character build in BG but always with the ToB endgame in mind I invariably play multi (or more recently, dual) class characters.
    Also, whenever I take one of those 'What class are you?' thingies I always (and I mean always) end up being classed as an alchemist - so a mage is as close as I can get as part of my character build.

My signature character though has to be a dual-wielding assassin, dual-classed to mage (great fun to solo with).
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    if I have to lock it down then my heart is Druid... a gnome shapeshifter or avenger (solo) with 'detect illusion |Invisibility' as an inate
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovArctodusAlesia_BH
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Only one is a tough choice but my top 3 are:

Human Enchanter

Human Thief -> Wizard Slayer

Half-Orc Thug (from Might and Guile)
    JuliusBorisovAerakarArctodus
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Mage/Thief

Not necessarily gnomes, race is pretty much irrelevant tbh. I tend to favor the multiclass over the various duals but I do like them too.

Generally in video games I have a strong dislike for fighter classes or characters, regardless of their actual power or lack thereof. Meleeheads are just insanely boring to me and in BG the Mage/Thief just combines what I like best.
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovAerakar
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Cavalier, sometimes a Shadowdancer dualed to a mage. I’m pretty open to anything, though, except druids. I just cannot get into a Druid run.
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovAerakarthelovebat
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Used to be half-elven unkitted Bard or Blade for a long time. But now I'd probably say half-drow Mage/Assassin.
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovAerakartbone1
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    tbone1 said:

Cavalier, sometimes a Shadowdancer dualed to a mage. I’m pretty open to anything, though, except druids. I just cannot get into a Druid run.

I can't get into druids either. I think it's their ethos that bothers me.