Skip to content

How to Report Bugs

Comments

• rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited June 2017
    I found a bug in BG1-2 (absent in IWD e SoD). I've never reported a bug before. @JuliusBorisov Must I open two tickets for both the game?

1) Enables More Confirmation Prompts (in Feedback Screen from Gameplay Options)
    2) Change language
    3) Return to opening screen and clic Quit Game [It shows string 20186]
    4) Clic CANCEL

Therefore: nothing happens. Both the games don't abort Quit and you are stuck.
    Post edited by rede9 on
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    @rede9 It's a known problem so no need to report again.
    JuliusBorisovrede9[Deleted User]
    edited June 2017
    Sorry. I searched LANGUAGE among the tickets without results. I could have been more accurate.
  • awwwdratawwwdrat Member Posts: 2
    Well, hoping to get my bug fixed. If anyone knows anything about the sleep wand problem in BGEE, please let me know. Trying the Redmine thing. We'll see.
  • awwwdratawwwdrat Member Posts: 2
    Well, well, well! Redmine worked. They got back to me within 24 hours and told me it was a non-issue; the sleep spell doesn't affect creatures, it affects enemies, which is a change to the core rules. While I disagree with this rules change, they did get back to me very timely. Worth the half hour figuring out how to report the bug.
    JuliusBorisovGreenWarlock
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    awwwdrat said:

..it was a non-issue; the sleep spell doesn't affect creatures, it affects enemies, which is a change to the core rules. While I disagree with this rules change, they did get back to me very timely.

It's always been enemy-only. If you want it to affect neutrals just attack them so their hostile and it will.
    Your out of luck if you want it to affect party members though, unless they've been charmed by enemies.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    An important update:

Planning has started on the next round of patches for the Enhanced Edition games on all platforms. We're currently going through all the reports on Redmine and evaluating each bug and feature.

For a better end result, our developers comment on Redmine if they need more information from bug reporters. In cases where we have had no reply to requests for follow up, the appropriate reports may be closed.

Players still encountering the issue are recommended to file a new bug, following the steps located here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs.
    Doubledimas[Deleted User]
  • FaalagornFaalagorn Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2017
    Encouraged by the recent beamblog post and other announcements such as from @JuliusBorisov above about purging the existing bugs in games, BG:EE especially, and with me starting a first playthrough on EE (yea, I'm late to the party :P ), I decided to help reporting the bugs I encounter during the game.

So far most of thing is clear enough, kudos to @Cerevant for assembling the detailed bug report guideline back in 2016, as this is what I was following reporting my bugs – would be nice if that guidelines was posted somewhere directly in the Redmine, so it would be more accessibly directly from Redmine without the need of searching through forums/Google and could be easily edited (as I think there's wiki system in Redmine?), but that's only a minor issue :)

However there's one thing that bothers me – there are currently two types of statuses that are confusing me, namely "New" and "Submitted". New is pretty straightforward actually, as it's a newly submitted bug that was not seen by any reviewers yet. However, there's also the "Submitted" status, that based on some prior issue reports and loose forum info would indicate that the issue was acknowledged, but not yet fixed. However, there are two issues with "Submitted" status.
    1. It seems that I can change the status of "Submitted" issues back to "New", even for the issues that are not mine.
    2. The "Submitted" issues do not show as open issues.
    The latter is especially confusing, as I don't know whether or not should I treat the submitted issues as something that will eventually get patched or should these issues be brought back to light again? (there's a few issues I encountered that already had "Submitted" state, but no target version set, such as 21331 meta-issue with 23591 dupe where I put a comment linking back to the original which strikes-through 21331 as if it would be closed. Others I encountered would be 22342, 22570, 23708, 24330 and 30839, but there are more obviously.

The biggest gripe I think is that the bugs do not show as open, so it's easy to mistake the issues as not reported, and also when linking back to the issue in comment, the strike-through suggests as if it would be fixed already (which I think is not the case) – and of course the thing that I can change the submitted bugs back to New. If it's working as intended, then guess I'll just have to get used for it, but just in case it's not, I thought I'll report back :)

Let me also bring other minor issues while at it:
    1. it seems that it is possible to edit the attachment names and description of other people, not sure if that's intended,
    2. clicking names of an issue reporter brings to 404 page, due to no permission – which may be due to privacy issues, but I would expect it show all the issues reported by the person at least.
    Also I can't seem to find the way to show all my watched (starred) issues? That would be handy, but I didn't find the option for it anywhere in Redmine UI yet.

Other than that, hopefully I can help a little with the Redmine issues in the meantime :) Keep up the good work and I'll be awaiting the next updates eagerly!

EDIT: It seems that for some bug reports I can actually make the opposite – i.e. change everything other than the status, namely Bug/Feature state, subject, description and the version found (with the latter actually being handy if someone would like to bump an old version bug report to still being in the newest one). I noticed it at Feature #27558
    JuliusBorisov
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Faalagorn said:

Let me also bring other minor issues while at it:

1. it seems that it is possible to edit the attachment names and description of other people, not sure if that's intended,
    2. clicking names of an issue reporter brings to 404 page, due to no permission – which may be due to privacy issues, but I would expect it show all the issues reported by the person at least.
    Clicking non-staff members returns the 404. Not even the search filters will allow you to sort by non-staff authors.
    Clicking a staff member however does pull up a profile page with a list of projects and issues.
    Faalagorn said:

Also I can't seem to find the way to show all my watched (starred) issues? That would be handy, but I didn't find the option for it anywhere in Redmine UI yet.

Projects -> View all Issues -> Add Filter -> Watcher -> is -> <<me>>
    or try this link once logged in.
    FaalagornJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
    kjeron said:

Clicking non-staff members returns the 404. Not even the search filters will allow you to sort by non-staff authors.
    Clicking a staff member however does pull up a profile page with a list of projects and issues.

That's good to know, though it's still worth noting that it is possible to group the search of all issues by submitter, though it may be due to the fact the user page shows more than that.
    kjeron said:

Projects -> View all Issues -> Add Filter -> Watcher -> is -> <<me>>
    or try this link once logged in.

Thanks! Didn't thought of looking for the watcher status on filters :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited August 2017
    Seeing the question about the "Submitted" status popping up several times, I've asked the QA team for some clarification.

"Submitted" means it has been sent to the internal tracker. If we publish a fix for it, we update it to "Closed - Fixed."

I have to note, though, that there's no guarantee that any particular bug is going to be fixed soon, as bugs on the internal tracker have to be prioritized. The most serious ones come first.
    Faalagorn[Deleted User]

Seeing the question about the "Submitted" status popping up several times, I've asked the QA team for some clarification.

"Submitted" means it has been sent to the internal tracker. If we publish a fix for it, we update it to "Closed - Fixed."

I have to note, though, that there's no guarantee that any particular bug is going to be fixed soon, as bugs on the internal tracker have to be prioritized. The most serious ones come first.

Thanks for clarification! I was suspecting the ones marked "Submitted" are indeed the one send to higher ups, especially since I saw mention of internal tracker several time in the public section of redmine/forums – that kinda also explains why they they don't show as open, though I guess this means that I could still comment on those if I spot something new related to that bug, I guess?

Anyway, seems the main issue that remains is that I think I shouldn't change the status of the bug, unless it have some functional reasoning - for example re-opening it for verification, but I doubt it should work that way?

And about the priority, this doesn't concern me :) I perfectly know that things should be prioritized, which is good! I'm just happy when I see the bugs I submitted are going through verification :).
    [Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
    It is worth adding information to a Submitted bug if it helps to better describe the problem, how to reproduce it, etc. There will be notifications, depending on the circumstances. Anyone who has edited the bug, for example will see the update. We also link the public bug to an internal bug, so anyone working on the internal bug can easily view the public bug for more information.

As for the fact people can change a bug from Submitted to, say, New, we'll look into it. We haven't had a lot of that happen at this point.
    Faalagorn

As for the fact people can change a bug from Submitted to, say, New, we'll look into it. We haven't had a lot of that happen at this point.

Thanks :) Actually, I found it more confusing rather than problematic per se, as I initially thought that the "Submitted" was a left placeholder as for some reason I thought I can change between the two other way around (later turned out I can only "downgrade" bugs, so that's a relief ;).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    FaalagornJuliusBorisov
    Reading @typo_tilly post (with which I agree BTW, but I hope it's all in good standing and closing the reports was just a required mainteneance and no old bugs are "lost"), since it's linked there, why the redmine.beamdog.com redirects to support.baldursgate.com? It's kinda weird, especially for Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment players to be redirected to Baldur's Gate support – also, I'd rather expect the support.baldursgate.com to point to beamdog.zendesk.com, but ideally the redmine should be accessible somewhere easily at the zendesk - after all, reporting bugs is a part of the support :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • samorysamory Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I have a LG G PAD V-500.
    of the first seconds of the game. When the skull approaches the character, the game crashes and returns to the home page of the device. I have no mod and the device has never been modified.
    I have already installed the game several times and I can not find a solution.
    someone can help me?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    @samory You can try the following:

Alter Senses -> Graphics. Disable Sprite Outlines, Linear Scaling. Done -> Back -> Close & restart the game to check
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]

@samory You can try the following:

Alter Senses -> Graphics. Disable Sprite Outlines, Linear Scaling. Done -> Back -> Close & restart the game to check

If that doesn't help, please, contact our support: support@beamdog.com
    [Deleted User]
    Heya!

For your comfort, now the instructions on the bug reporting process can be found on Redmine itself:

https://support.baldursgate.com/projects/external-bugs/wiki
    Faalagorn
    Hello everyone!

We are going through our bug database and addressing a number of bugs and requests filed by the community as we prepare the next set of patches. Frequent bug reporters may see a mix of pre-prepared statements informing next steps as their bugs and requests are closed. If your bug hasn't been recently commented on or closed, we haven't got to it yet.

We appreciate your reports as they help make our games better.
    [Deleted User]
    edited October 2017
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/33044
    Is everything correct? Will I get the badge automatically or must the bug be confirmed?
    @JuliusBorisov @Cerevant
    Post edited by rede9 on
    Thanks for filing the bug.
    Which badge are you talking about, in particular?

Thanks for filing the bug.
    Which badge are you talking about, in particular?

Road-Tested

@rede9 The Road-Tested badge was only for those testers who participated in the Road to 2.0 event.
    edited October 2017

@rede9 The Road-Tested badge was only for those testers who participated in the Road to 2.0 event.

Oh, therefore the description is deceptive: "You created a bug report on Redmine, and it was submitted to the dev team!".
    My apologies.
    JuliusBorisov
    I've updated the badge description, so it's you who should be thanked here. Anyway, thanks to some forum magic, you've managed to get the Combo Breaker badge :)

And keep up reporting bugs! It helps greatly.
    edited October 2017
    By the way bug reporting (De-bug) would be a good badge with De-buff spells (Breach; Spellstrike...).
    JuliusBorisov
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Is there a way to filter out NWN:EE on Readmine from the Public Bug Reports section? Since I currently don't own NWN:EE, I'm not interested seeing bug reports for it by default.

Thanks in advance for help.
This discussion has been closed.