Skip to content

Regarding modding SoD NPCs for BG2:EE

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
Attention, modders and players!

There have been several discussions on whether Beamdog considers adding SoD NPCs to BG2:EE, or not.

I've asked around.

In regards to modders wanting to work with SoD NPCs, we tell you: "Go nuts!". Go and add them to BG2:EE, create stories for them.

While Beamdog would like to perhaps explore the idea in the future, we have no plans to pursue that project any time soon.
DJKajuruAstroBryGuyThacoBellGenderNihilismGirdleMirandelCrevsDaakelminsterFina92StummvonBordwehrRaduzielProontlolien

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550

While Beamdog would like to perhaps explore the idea in the future, we have no plans to pursue that project any time soon.

That means no for the rest of the time in my language. Sigh :(
    GenderNihilismGirdleRaduzielRAM021
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    :'(
    RAM021
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Guess this means my
    Caelar

mod is safe for the near future as well. Which is good because with the work I have planned I don't see it being remotely close to done for a very long time.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Guess this means my

Caelar

mod is safe for the near future as well. Which is good because with the work I have planned I don't see it being remotely close to done for a very long time.
    Aaaaand I have confirmation that I should not postpone my next bg2 run until its done haha.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

Guess this means my

mod is safe for the near future as well.

I am most confident this one would be safe regardless.
    elminsterRaduziellolien
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    watch everyone making glint and M'Khiin mods and poor cowin is left with nothing.
    Raduziel
    I dunno, Corwin is still pretty popular.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    not a modder but since the NPCs like corwin or even caelar exist wouldnt it be easy to implement through BG series?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    In a G3 discussion some while ago there was mentioning of a plan for a *Rescue Caelar* quest triggered by her uncle petitioning the ToB party. However, that was in the context of IWD-in-EET, so another long term project, if it ever comes.
    But since *Rescue Caelar* was proposed by the maker of the Sandrah Saga, it may be done anyway, she's known to add such easter eggs without much abvertisement into her mods, just like her Skie restoration quest in BG2.
    I can't find that discussion anymore, so I'm not sure if Caelar was planned to become joinable NPC after her rescue or not.
    brunardo
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    think I read about that too, I may just do a caelar run as cavalier or inquisitor if the mod doesnt come out
    One day... one day...
    JuliusBorisovmegamike15ThacoBell
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    edited October 2017
    I would like for them to add Baeloth to BG2SoA/ToB. I mean to be honest! We are NEVER! EVER! Going to see a Black Pits 3. Just not enough demand for it. Instead of making it, its own series should been make as a mini expansion

Somehow make BlackPits 2 take place after Throne of Bhaal?

And SoD Secret NPC i would like a quest option to recruit
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2017
    I haven't finished SoD yet, so I don't know what is their role in the story, but if I had been Beamdog,
    I would have made them die.... Think of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: all the main characters die and this makes perfect sense since they're not present in the episodes IV, V and VI......
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Luke93
    Why should they die?
    They do not have to be dead for being absent in BG2. They have their own lives and they can go back to their business.
    Killing every character = bad writing
    ThacoBell
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2017
    Aedan said:

They do not have to be dead for being absent in BG2.

Yes, sure, that was just my two cents.......
    Aedan said:

Killing every character = bad writing

I'm sorry, but you can't state: Rogue One = bad writing....
    Raduziel
    edited October 2017
    Vasculio said:

I would like for them to add Baeloth to BG2SoA/ToB. I mean to be honest! We are NEVER! EVER! Going to see a Black Pits 3. Just not enough demand for it. Instead of making it, its own series should been make as a mini expansion

Somehow make BlackPits 2 take place after Throne of Bhaal?

And SoD Secret NPC i would like a quest option to recruit

I found the entrance to the first part of the Black Pits 1 a few days back.
    It is added to EET by a mod already. A shady dwarf (probably a disguised duergar) opens a backdoor of his pub in Waterdeep. If you step inside, Baeloth welcomes you. Of course the extension only works if B. is not in your party at that time. You must fight your way through until you defeat your capturer and the djinn helps you to get out again.
    Waterdeep in EET becomes available halfway through the BG1 part of the game. You need to consider your visit to the Pits well, since once you're in, you can't get out by any other way than winning the final battle.
    Another thing is that the XPs you gain in the pits are lost again when you get out, but you keep the levels and abilities you gained. It took my party just slightly longer afterwards to reach the next level. This apparently is part of EET's balancing not to get too high level into SoD or BG2 part.

I'm still in my BG1 part of the EET playthrough, so no idea if Black Pits 2 will also appear in the game. But I think no - I saw no mention in any of the forums about it yet.
    JuliusBorisovverlaineVasculio
  • Saber83Saber83 Member Posts: 94
    Anyone know if someone is working on a Corwin NPC mod for BG2EE? Haven't actually played SOD, but from what I have read, she seems an interesting character.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Saber83 well, there is a mod in the works by Roxanne from SHS, called Corwin EET, but I don't now anything more about it yet. One thing is certain, knowing Roxanne it will probably be strictly tailored for EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) mod.
    @Cahir thanks for the reply. If there is nothing else I'll give it a try when it becomes available, but I don't really play EET.
    edited December 2017
    Cahir said:

@Saber83 well, there is a mod in the works by Roxanne from SHS, called Corwin EET, but I don't now anything more about it yet. One thing is certain, knowing Roxanne it will probably be strictly tailored for EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) mod.

I'm beta testing that mod, and yes, it's EET only. This is technical issue as far as I understand, because the special thing about the mod is that Corwin doesn't appear in SoA but in BG1 as soon as you talk to Scar on the bridge. The mod adds Corwin to the Flaming Fist vs Iron Throne context and lets the Captain appear in the circumstances where she belongs, namely in her hometown.
    This way you know her already when her SoD part starts and your friendship/romance continues seamlessly from your previous working together. Of course, such a concept works only with EET, so that's why.
    And I agree with Roxanne, Corwin fits far better into her hometown setting than trying to force her into Amn.
    Saber83verlaineKuselRAM021

Cahir said:

I'm beta testing that mod, and yes, it's EET only. This is technical issue as far as I understand, because the special thing about the mod is that Corwin doesn't appear in SoA but in BG1 as soon as you talk to Scar on the bridge. The mod adds Corwin to the Flaming Fist vs Iron Throne context and lets the Captain appear in the circumstances where she belongs, namely in her hometown.
    This way you know her already when her SoD part starts and your friendship/romance continues seamlessly from your previous working together. Of course, such a concept works only with EET, so that's why.
    And I agree with Roxanne, Corwin fits far better into her hometown setting than trying to force her into Amn.
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but this is actually convincing me to do an EET install and get this mod. The question is: is it available to the public or still being tested?
    edited December 2017
    Saber83 said:

Cahir said:

Can't believe I'm saying this, but this is actually convincing me to do an EET install and get this mod. The question is: is it available to the public or still being tested?
    It's not yet public. But with Roxanne it never takes too long once she's tested the basic concept until it's released. At the moment I think there's a couple of people who are testing it. It's all via PM and maybe I'm not even supposed to leak this yet.
    Saber83verlaineKusel
    Yeah, Corwin (as mush as I enjoy her character) makes no sense being in Amn. I WOULD love to see M'Khiin in SoA though.
    KuselRaduziel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KuselKusel Member Posts: 50
    ThacoBell said:

Yeah, Corwin (as mush as I enjoy her character) makes no sense being in Amn. I WOULD love to see M'Khiin in SoA though.

The mod is released now. @Cahir was right, it's an EET mod. No problem for me since I play EET. It says it's EET because the Corwin from BG1 goes to be the same in SoD and yes, she was when I tried it. She knew all about our time against Sarevok and such.
    Just jumped around a bit to see if it's worth playing. Decided to use her in my game this time.
    Kusel said:

ThacoBell said:

The mod is released now. @Cahir was right, it's an EET mod. No problem for me since I play EET. It says it's EET because the Corwin from BG1 goes to be the same in SoD and yes, she was when I tried it. She knew all about our time against Sarevok and such.
    Just jumped around a bit to see if it's worth playing. Decided to use her in my game this time.
    You forgot to say that the mod is here http://www.shsforums.net/topic/59648-mod-corwin-npc-for-eet/
    It sounds interesting from the readme, too bad my playthrough's already past the point where I could've met Corwin in the BG1. I understand without the prelude, there's not really some change visible in the SoD. When I looked at the code, I see all the new globals that trigger new stuff are first set in BG1 and just carry over to SoD.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

In a G3 discussion some while ago there was mentioning of a plan for a *Rescue Caelar* quest triggered by her uncle petitioning the ToB party. However, that was in the context of IWD-in-EET, so another long term project, if it ever comes.
    But since *Rescue Caelar* was proposed by the maker of the Sandrah Saga, it may be done anyway, she's known to add such easter eggs without much abvertisement into her mods, just like her Skie restoration quest in BG2.
    I can't find that discussion anymore, so I'm not sure if Caelar was planned to become joinable NPC after her rescue or not.

Wait, there is a Skie restoration quest? Where??
    edited January 2018
    Raduziel said:

Wait, there is a Skie restoration quest? Where??
    There is one in EET provided by the Sandrah Saga. It is mainly in that mod I guess to make Baldurs Gate City (which is closed to you in EET after you fled there in SoD) available again.
    You will receive the soultaker dagger from Valen, the Bodhi messenger, as a teaser to join her side. You can use the dagger in a temple to restore Skie. She will go home to her father to clarify the murder case. The Sandrah mod doesn't provide any further Skie contents (yet?).
    RaduzielJuliusBorisov
    Its a real shame that these neat little character extensions and quest resolutions are tied down with balance destroying EET megamods.
    ThacoBell said:

Its a real shame that these neat little character extensions and quest resolutions are tied down with balancestory and character destroying EET megamods.

ftfy