Skip to content

Female Dwarf/Gnome Portrait!

StorytellerStoryteller Member Posts: 38
edited October 2016 in Fan Creations
So I'm looking to experience the game in new ways, with combinations of genders/races/classes that I've always kind of had a blind spot to, and I thought I'd begin with female dwarves. I'm curious if any of you out there have a cool character portrait or concept for a character that probably doesn't get played as much as it deserves. I thought I would begin with a portrait that I did some (minor) editing to. Original art goes to the very talented Carlos Ancot!

Moxie Stonehand!

I saw this picture and immediately envisioned a pint sized badass with loads of grit and all the sass, ready to challenge Sarevok to a fist fight and drink Minsc under the table! Probably a Fighter/Thief with a focus on trap building was my initial impression, although I'm sure Moxie could work just as well as a particularly stout lady gnome. Playing a character like this could be a real breath of fresh air as opposed to the uptight do-gooders and sturm und drang villains hungry to inherit Bhaal's power. A solid Chaotic Neutral, possibly Chaotic Good character, depending on your leanings. She perfectly fits the Female: Relaxed voice, so I'm really looking forward to a play through with this character.

Have you played a female dwarf or gnome in the past? Share her portrait and your story!
Post edited by Storyteller on
RavenslightKamigoroshiAerakarJuliusBorisovThacoBellRodriantbone1VallmyrShikaos0ulafeinAedanNonnahswriterAbby_Zerololien[Deleted User]SharGuidesMyHand

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Blackraven is known for choosing excellent portraits for female shorties:

Owanna, Gnome

Melody, Halfling

Nelsy, Halfling

And of course, Thani, Dwarf, a famous no-reload solo wizard slayer
    ThacoBellStorytellerlolien
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    That is an amazing portrait. Love it
    JuliusBorisovStoryteller
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    That wont work for a dwarf. Dwarves have beards.
    scriverPermidion_Stark
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Elendar said:

That wont work for a dwarf. Dwarves have beards.

I was just going to say!
  • StorytellerStoryteller Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2017
    Dwarven women don't have beards. If dwarves, as a race, are ever going to be taken seriously beyond a ridiculous stereotype where they're all a bunch of battle-hungry drunks with Scottish accents, they need to be addressed seriously. Women don't grow beards.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited October 2017
    Dwarven women do grow beards (at least in the Forgotten Realms). From “Dwarves Deep” (pg 5) by Ed Greenwood:

Most dwarven females dress,‚ walk, and fight as males do‚, and have similar low-pitched‚, gruff,‚ husky voices. Like males‚, they naturally grow beards‚, and only some shave.
    scriverThacoBelllolien
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Also in the 5th edition player's handbook on page 121.

". . . or a bearded female dwarf who hates being
    mistaken for a male."
    scriverThacoBell
    Lol @ "women don't grow beards this is srs biznis u guys"
    Sanctifer
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Women don't grow beards.

Really? Have you ever been to a [couple places I’ve visited but won’t mention by name out of politeness]?
    lolien
    It's okay, we all know it's Italy.
    Nnnnnnnooooooooooooo ......
    Well that depends on by "grow beards" you mean "are able to grow beards" or "choose to let their beards grow". As far as I know there's no official statement that a higher amount Gold Dwarf women can grow beards than Shield Dwarves, just that Shield Dwarf women cut theirs more often.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited October 2017
    @scriver Hold my beer.

Taken from "Races of Faerûn", a 3rd (or 3.5 not sure) edition Forgotten Realms campaign book:

Arctic Dwarves: All males grow beards.

Duergar: All males grow beards.

Gold Dwarves: All males and some females grow beards.

Shield Dwarves: All males and very few females grow beards.

And here from the main Forgotten Realms campaign book (3.5):

All dwarves can grow beards, some females can too but usually shave.

PS: From 2nd Edition AD&D "The Complete Book Of Dwarves" (not sure which edition that one is mainly about, but I am assuming it's either Greyhawk or more or less universal?):

All dwarves have beard growth. Most females clean shave, except for Deep Dwarves.
    Gully Dwarf women only have facial hair on their cheeks.

PPS: From the 2nd Edition AD&D Forgotten Realms campaign book:

All dwarves can grow beards, but females usually shave.

PPPS: In second edition all dwarves can grow beards, but female Gully Dwarves can only grow muttonchops. Most female dwarves shave, with the notable exception of Deep Dwarves (not to confuse with Duegar aka Grey Dwarves). In third edition all dwarves can grow beards, but among women the Gold Dwarves are the least likely too shave, but sometimes they don't point out in the books wether or not they are physically able to grow beards, just wether or not they do grow them or not.
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
    AerakarThacoBelllolien
    This all reminds me of the comment that Lord Flashheart made to Baldrick in Blackadder II:

Heya, bridesmaid! Love the beard. Gives me something to hang onto! Woof!
    lolien
    @Buttercheese - Did you take that as me disagreeing with you? Because I was agreeing, with the condition of which definition you used.

As for my own research I came up with this (although I do not have the book myself to show a picture of, so I'm second hand quoting): From page five kg Dwarves Deep, a second ed source book on dwarves in the Forgotten Realms written by Ed Greenwood himself: "Some female dwarves of Faerûn can grow beards, too, often passing as males among the nondwarves of the surface lands. Dwarven women may choose to shave their beards to match human-style expectations of beauty, while others glory in luxurious plaited beards that match their hair or wear sharply cut goatees."
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Well, you just mentioned "official sources" so I went and got official sources >.>
  • nrcgraynrcgray Member Posts: 2
    That portrait is insanely awesome.

The level of polish, and detail is phenomenal, it looks professional.

Her expression is great, it looks completely natural, and I like the way she's got a crazy expression and gnomish proportions but she still looks really pretty.

A lot of the time if you look at D&D art even good artists sometimes screw up gnomes and make them look really ugly and unnatural, but you hit it out of the park, she looks great!
    AerakarStoryteller
  • Abby_ZeroAbby_Zero Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2017
    Super rad. Good warrior demihumans are hard to find. I agree with the above—spot on.
    Fun fact: Gnomes smoke that funny green stuff in their cigars.
    Aerakar
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    I have found this wonderful portrait of a young dwarf female warrior.

pg7oqh618yuj.bmp

The artist is Akim Kaliberda.
    One more time this comes from Pathfinder.
    I have alread used a portrait from Pathfinder for my Halfling priest of Lathander Myrtle Leafbottom.

Well, when I saw this portrait, I thought that I would need to make a dwarf female character. I read @Grum thesis on why Charname should be a Dwarf. I think he is right, even if I think she could be as well a Halfling.
    Usually, I build my character according to a nice portrait that I found. I think this portrait fits well Gorion's ward, because she looks pretty young. But I cannot imagine her to be a DD, or a Berserker. I want her to be specialized in Crossbows, but as well to be abe to wear a full plate. SO let's go for a vaniila fighter !

Here comes Gunnloda Swiftbolt, fighter, learned to use the warhammer with Reevor and the crossbow with Fuller. Pretty smart as well, could have been a wizard in an other world (other D&D editions ...). Pretty stout, not that strong (like Yeslick or almost like Kagain), and pretty agile for a dwarf.
    F15 C 19 D 17 I 17 W 12 C 11
    She is nice, pretty easy-going but as well a bit awkward, and she suffered a bit in Candlekeep from being podgy. There is a lot of racism towards dwarfs in Faerun, and most Candlekeeps' inhabitants are not exempt of it. Hopefully Reevor and Arkanis were there, even if they were a bit rude with her because she was a girl, particularly Reevor. She is VERY close to Imoen, who always accepted her as she was. She is a bit mefiant of men, beause of harassment that she suffered in Candlekeep from some Watchers and particularly from some wealthy visitors. Apparently they thought that because she was a) a dwarf b) a girl they could allow themselves some rude behaviour towards her. She has not Shar-Teel's hate of men, but lets say that she would prefer woman companions. For the moment, perhaps this will change during the story...
    Alignement : Neutral Good
    Weapons: Crossbow ++ Warhammer ++
    Core rules

For the moment, she is about to enter the Nashel mines
    Level 4 53 HPs (was pretty lucky) Crossbow +++ Warhammer ++
    Plate armor Ashineeda Heavy Crossbow Medium Shield +1
    Companions: Imoen, Neera, Branwen.
    AerakarGusindas0ulafein