Skip to content

Solo Cavalier the easiest playthrough?

histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
I'm currently chapter 3 at SoA and I feel like I just murder everybody without a sweat. Using only EET with level cap removed and SCS difficulty. You can get Cavalier to 100MR and/or 93DR with the best Saving Throws. Of course you can tweak abilities here and there, but this is potentially the most powerful version I think:

Cavalier Base

18/00 STR (-3TH)
18 DEX (-4AC)
18 CON (+4HP)
17 THAC0
6 AC
14 HP
12/14/13/13/15 Saving Throws

Items

30MR Purifier +5 (ToB)
20DR 1AC Defender Of Easthaven (SoA)

10MR 1ST Amulet Of Seldarine (SoA)
10MR 2AC 2ST Ring Of Gaxx (SoA)
3AC 3ST The Warder's Signet (SoA)

1ACb Full Plate Mail (BG)
1AC 1ST 1TH 5HP Helm Of Balduran (BG)
22STRb Girdle Of Fire Giant Strenght (ToB)
10HP Paladin's Bracers (SoA)
7MR Star-Strewn Boots (SoD)
25MR 1ST Cloak Of Balduran (BG)

5MR Machine Of Lum The Mad (SoA)
10HP Deck Of Many Things (SoA)
10MR 2ST -1DEX -2HP Hell Trials (SoA)
2STR STR Tome, MoLTM (BG, SoA)
2CON CON Tome, MoLTM (BG, SoA)
2DEX DEX Tome, MoLTM (BG, SoA)

40DR Hardiness (lv18, lv20 10 rounds)
25DR Armor Of Faith (lv28, 31 rounds)

97 Magic Resistance
85 Damage Reduction
10 Saving Throws
22 STRb
1 DEX
2 CON
-6 THAC0
-6 AC
23 HP

Cavalier Potential Lv28

22 STR
19 DEX
20 CON
-11 THAC0
-10 AC
215HP (233HP lv34)
97 Magic Resistance
85 Damage Reduction
-9/-7/-8/-8/-6 Saving Throws

Only thing I can see being a problem is Imprisonment spells, which you can avoid directly with Protection From Magic-scrolls or Spell Turning from Book Of Infinite Spells. Every other danger there's an common item to use I think. Soloing you can use the best equipment, not bother with squishy companions or micro management, fly through the map with with Boots of Speed and Oil Of Speed, and you're almost always very well leveled to any baddie.

Are there more powerful characters?
Post edited by histamiini on

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited November 2017
    Cavalier with their beastly saving throws would be fairly high on the list. I'd put Ranger/Cleric and Blade as the top two easiest solos personally. Though people will probably fight me over the Blade choice ;)

*EDIT*

As to "Are there more powerful characters" Its depends on what you want. There are other classes that are better a different things. Paladins get some of the best saving throws, so its hard for them to hit with "save or else" abilities. Beserkers can just flat out ignore certain effects (dumbest, cheesest class in the game in my opinion". Wizards and Sorcerors can layer nigh impenetrable defenses while sowing mass debilitations, summons, and damage. Druids get arguably two of the cheesiest spells in the game. Bards can hit with basically any tactic according to what the situation calls for (super underrated). Thieves can set instakill traps as well as being the single best utility. etc.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I'd have to say a Berserker / Mage takes the cake.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited November 2017
    True it's probably matter of taste at some level. But if we are to think Charnames as a defender/attacker. Cavaliers can have flatout best potential (lv21) defense with 10Hit Dice, 100MR, 85DR and -6ST to spells, which can't be dispelled like mage defenses can mostly I think. On the other hand they are also one he best damage dealers with spamming Greater Whirlwinds with Carsomyr and Purifier etc.

If the series were to be played 100% through, I think Solo Cavalier would do it in shortest time, hence the easiest playthrough.
    A Dwarven Defender would have better defenses with innate damage reduction (able to reach 100% with items), higher hp and con (innate regen), able to get more proficiencies in weapons for better smackage as well.
    And lets not forget the most powerful class in the game, the BLADE. Able to layer spell protections on top of an innate that will hit the AC cap at high levels without even trying, best burst tanking in the game. Add in their offensive spin and they burst for damage comparable to a fighter as well. Did I mention that they get many many castings of these innates via level up? They can also pepper in some disabler spells while they are at it. Access to wands and scrolls, Blades can handle any situation the game throws at them.
    Elendar said:

I'd have to say a Berserker / Mage takes the cake.

My last playthrough was Berseker9/Mage, with party of 6 with same difficulty, and although knowledge of the mechanics make it easier, Solo Cavalier has been much easier.
    edited November 2017
    ThacoBell said:

A Dwarven Defender would have better defenses with innate damage reduction (able to reach 100% with items), higher hp and con (innate regen), able to get more proficiencies in weapons for better smackage as well.
    And lets not forget the most powerful class in the game, the BLADE. Able to layer spell protections on top of an innate that will hit the AC cap at high levels without even trying, best burst tanking in the game. Add in their offensive spin and they burst for damage comparable to a fighter as well. Did I mention that they get many many castings of these innates via level up? They can also pepper in some disabler spells while they are at it. Access to wands and scrolls, Blades can handle any situation the game throws at them.

DD would give up about 30MR, and 5DR if we don't count 30% chance Armor Of Faith from the cloak to Cavalier. Their defensive stance, which they need to match saving throws of Cavaliers, is only 1 round and doesn't stack with Hardiness.

Blade I have to look up.
    edited November 2017

The question is, whether it is easy for a Cavalier get all these items, whether it is easy for a Cavalier to survive in the Watcher's Keep and in SoA up to the Hell Trials?

Another question: what will happen without removing the level cap and without BG1 items in BG2, like the Cloak Of Balduran.

Getting items is of course one thing, but level cap and EET items affect mostly everyone, not just Cavalier. Level cap will make soloing harder of course, but can't imagine doing BG1 with level cap and wasting all the xp. There should be an upside on soloing, which uncapped level gives. Few BG1 items you get in BG2 with EET, is more than well balanced with SCS difficulty.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited November 2017
    A Berserker is probably easier for the average user because it has much stronger survivability in early BG1 and can easily shrug off the many disablers of the BG saga. A Cavalier won't have guaranteed saving throws until much later in the game.

Fighter/Illusionists will have even better saves and will have much more reliable physical defenses from mid-BG1 to ToB due to Mirror Image and Stoneskins, and will also be able to use Wands of Fire and Wands of Monster Summoning, which are enough to conquer vast swathes of BG1 and SoD.

Berserker/Mages are more or less the "optimal" powergaming class, but they're definitely not the easiest class to play because of the dual-class level gap.

Cavaliers are great, but there are other kits with even more advantages. A Cavalier gets immunity to fear and poison and 20% resistance to acid and fire, as well as +3 damage to demons and dragons. Dwarven Defenders get 50% damage resistance at level 1 and stronger saving throws than any other class, and Berserkers get comprehensive immunities and combat boosts at level 1.
    edited November 2017

A Berserker is probably easier for the average user because it has much stronger survivability in early BG1 and can easily shrug off the many disablers of the BG saga. A Cavalier won't have guaranteed saving throws until much later in the game.

Fighter/Illusionists will have even better saves and will have much more reliable physical defenses from mid-BG1 to ToB due to Mirror Image and Stoneskins, and will also be able to use Wands of Fire and Wands of Monster Summoning, which are enough to conquer vast swathes of BG1 and SoD.

Berserker/Mages are more or less the "optimal" powergaming class, but they're definitely not the easiest class to play because of the dual-class level gap.

Cavaliers are great, but there are other kits with even more advantages. A Cavalier gets immunity to fear and poison and 20% resistance to acid and fire, as well as +3 damage to demons and dragons. Dwarven Defenders get 50% damage resistance at level 1 and stronger saving throws than any other class, and Berserkers get comprehensive immunities and combat boosts at level 1.

Berseker 9/ Mage was my second playthrough after suffering mind attacks with normal fighter, so for the beginner I can see it being easiest to handle.

Can Fighter/Illusionist dual- or multiclass?

DD's defensive stance is only once per day, for 1 round, 1 additional with every 4 levels, which isn't really that great. Not using it Cavalier has better Saving Throws because of the passive -2 ability, and will end at least 30MR base and 5DR more. I don't see DD being as good.

"Fighter/Illusionist can't dual- or multiclass?" Gnomes.

Don't discount the use of abilities. I'd peg the DD and Blade beating the Cavalier in combat with comparable equipment.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    My own experience was that the fighter/mage/thief was easiest. After that was dwarven defender or cavalier.

I don’t solo much anymore, though.
    Personally, the easiest run I've ever had was with a Shadowdancer/Cleric where I used the Fire Seed trick to neutralize basically every mage in BG2, and the Scorcher Ammunition to disintegrate most everyone in ToB.
    edited November 2017

DD's defensive stance is only once per day, for 1 round, 1 additional with every 4 levels, which isn't really that great. Not using it Cavalier has better Saving Throws because of the passive -2 ability, and will end at least 30MR base and 5DR more. I don't see DD being as good.

Defensive Stance lasts 10 rounds; not one. A Dwarven Defender will essentially never run out of them; it's effectively a constant-effect 50% resistance to physical damage and +2 to saving throws. It's stronger than Hardiness and is available at level 1.
    Really? The wiki page at least says:

Advantages:

May use Defensive Stance once per day. Gains one use at level 1, one use at level 4, and an additional use every every 4 levels thereafter. For 1 turn, the Dwarven Defender gains +50% resistance to all forms of physical damage, a -2 bonus to Saving Throws, and a 50% movement rate penalty. Does not stack with Hardiness high level ability.

EDIT: mixed up turns and rounds.

Yeah that makes DD also very powerful.
    Too much so for my tastes, to be honest. DLC content in general tends to be overpowered because the developers want to make sure that the new stuff is competitive with the old stuff, or otherwise no one would bother trying it out. The result tends to be power creep, and the Dwarven Defender, with its almost complete lack of disadvantages (you're required to be one of the strongest races there is) and ludicrous advantage (HLA-grade abilities at level 1), is a prime example. It's a cool concept, but the implementation is excessive.

But now that it's there, it's part of the game, and people would be mighty upset if a patch changed it!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    More powerful solo characters with level cap off?

Just off the top of my head:

Fighter/Mage/Thief
    Fighter/Mage/Cleric
    Fighter/Illusionist
    Fighter/Mage
    Illusionist/Thief
    Illusionist/Cleric
    Mage/Cleric
    Mage/Thief
    Sorcerer
    Pretty Much Any Other Mage
    Cleric/Ranger
    Probably Fighter/Cleric and Fighter/Druid too.

Heck, even Bards are pretty competitive.
    edited November 2017

Too much so for my tastes, to be honest. DLC content in general tends to be overpowered because the developers want to make sure that the new stuff is competitive with the old stuff, or otherwise no one would bother trying it out. The result tends to be power creep, and the Dwarven Defender, with its almost complete lack of disadvantages (you're required to be one of the strongest races there is) and ludicrous advantage (HLA-grade abilities at level 1), is a prime example. It's a cool concept, but the implementation is excessive.

But now that it's there, it's part of the game, and people would be mighty upset if a patch changed it!

Yeah, looked it up some more and Dwarven Defender is easier. It has ridiculous bonuses to begin with and compared to Cavalier it has faster HP, DR and ST (3 out of 5) grow, because of the Dwarven Stance and Shorty Bonuses. Anyone know why shorty bonuses exist, or what downside do they cover? At the end both are pretty similar, DD will have more HP because Hit Dice and CON bonuses, and Cavalier more MR because the Carsomyr/Purifier. Evil DD could wear Human Flesh +5 to cover some of that. Most powerful DD I think:

Dwarven Defender Base

18/00 STR (-3TH)
    17 DEX (-3AC)
    19 CON (+5HP)
    17 THAC0
    7 AC
    17 HP
    9/11/15/17/12 Saving Throws (Shorty Bonus -5/-5/0/0/-5)

Items

25STRb Crom Faeyr +5 (SoA)
    20DR 1AC Defender Of Easthaven (SoA)

10MR 1ST Amulet Of Seldarine (SoA)
    10MR 2AC 2ST Ring Of Gaxx (SoA)
    3AC 3ST The Warder's Signet (SoA)

1ACb Full Plate Mail (BG)
    3DR 2CON Helmet Of Dumathoin (SoD)
    10HP Bracers of Perseverance (SoD)
    1ST Cloverleaf (SoD)
    3ST Lucky Boots (SoD)
    25MR 1ST Cloak Of Balduran (BG)

5MR Machine Of Lum The Mad (SoA)
    10HP Deck Of Many Things (SoA)
    10MR 2ST 2CON 2STR -1DEX -2HP Hell Trials (SoA)
    2STR STR Tome, MoLTM (BG, SoA)
    2CON CON Tome, MoLTM (BG, SoA)
    2DEX DEX Tome, MoLTM (BG, SoA)

50DR 2ST Defensive Stance (1v1, 10 rounds)
    20DR Base (lv20)

60 Magic Resistance
    93 Damage Reduction
    13 Saving Throws
    25 STRb
    +1 DEX
    +6 CON
    -5 THAC0
    -5 AC
    18 HP

Dwarven Defender Potential lv21

25 STR (-7TH)
    18 DEX (-4AC)
    25 CON (+7HP)
    -15 THAC0
    -9 AC
    225 HP (282HP lv40)
    60 Magic Resistance
    93 Damage Reduction
    -15/-13/-9/-9/-12 Saving Throws
    edited November 2017
    Btw another downside I can think DD has on Cavalier is Defensive Stance slow effect, he can't jump on dangerous characters and mobs as well. Which has been a really effective way through out the playthrough. So I don't know, I'll probably have to start Solo DD now and test it.
    edited November 2017
    Pantalion said:

More powerful solo characters with level cap off?

Just off the top of my head:

Fighter/Mage/Thief
    Fighter/Mage/Cleric
    Fighter/Illusionist
    Fighter/Mage
    Illusionist/Thief
    Illusionist/Cleric
    Mage/Cleric
    Mage/Thief
    Sorcerer
    Pretty Much Any Other Mage
    Cleric/Ranger
    Probably Fighter/Cleric and Fighter/Druid too.

Heck, even Bards are pretty competitive.

Already talked some of these. Fighter will have no upside, just downsides. Mage's aren't close because their defense can be dispelled and they aren't as fast dealing damage. And rogues only become play after HLA. My last playthrough was Berseker 9/ Mage and it wasn't as easy. All multiclasses will be worse because of the leveling. Single class like Cavalier can get Greater Whirlwind beginning of the SoA fighting Firkraag.

Seriously? How does these misconceptions keep coming up?

1: Spell Immunity: Abjuration. No, they cannot be dispelled if you're paying attention. And that's assuming they play fair in the first place, assuming they're facing one of a handful of actually threatening mage fights (which is an overwhelming minority of total encounters through the game), and assuming they are actually in a position for a spellcaster to target them. It also assumes that being dispelled is a major issue, rather than a minor inconvenience to the mage's Projected Image (which is about the same time as you pick up your first Weapon Whirlwind).

2: Aren't as fast dealing damage? Fireshields x2 gives 2D8+4 damage that ignores MR per enemy that hits them in melee, per attack, while the mage is doing whatever they like at the same time. Your average level 13 fighter is taking 51+ damage per round just by hitting the mage, who is taking no damage whatsoever. Two level 13 Fighters? 102 damage. Three? 153 damage. GWW enemies? 85 damage each, no save, no MR. The absolute majority of encounters and creatures in Baldur's Gate are melee centric beatsticks which cannot hurt the mage and hurt themselves trying.

3: Have you ever even played a multiclass character? They get HLAs exactly the same time that pure classes do, and get more HLAs because they get an HLA per class level. An F/M/T has 3 HLAs around the time that a Paladin gets their second, and by 8e6 gets 20 HLAs, rather than the Paladin's 16.

The least "certain" of the list would be the three fighter/priest types, which still get to summon devas, shut down casters, spam summons, AOE no-save blind, and generally just "avoid even being in contact with the encounters that might otherwise be a threat".

All the Thief multiclasses get UAI in early SoA for an easy 100% MR, 20D6 spike traps, timestop traps, and access to level 9 spell scrolls even if they happen to be the F/M/T, not to mention Detect Illusions, the best anti-illusion tool in the game.

All the Mages get spells that render entire encounters meaningless, none of which relies on magic items or single use scrolls.

All the Fighter multiclasses get the same HLAs as the Paladin, and combine that with being attached to an actual useful class, so they can be just as good as the paladin's speciality while also being full spellcasters.

Even the Bard gets some fun, while they fall short of picking up Project Image or the better sequencers, they still get all the above low level spells that wreck encounters, UAI, and invisibility so they can't be targeted by Lower Resistance.
    edited November 2017
    1. I wasn't talking specifically one single defense but defenses that mage's have to use throughout the game. Cavalier and DD can have close to natural 100MR and 100DR with the best saving throws which can't be dispelled at all. You get Spell Immunity first in SoA?
    2. I'm fairly sure I'll cut down them faster with profencies in Scimitars/Two Weapons Style, and +3 Scimitars and Oil of Speed, which I'll get level 1. Which means I'll always be ahead of mage in developement.
    3. How do they get HLA the same time when they divide xp?
    1: I'm fairly certain that neither the Cavalier or DD get 100% MR in BG1, nor immunity to normal weapons, nor 4 APR, nor invisibility, nor the ability to ignore damage, nor spells, nor wands... Are we suggesting mages are somehow deficient before becoming game breaking abominations?

2: Not sure how you expect a Fighter/multi who cares about melee to not have equal proficiencies, nor how you expect a Cavalier to be faster without any way of popping PfMW, nor why you'd bother cheesing Drizzt at level 1 rather than just killing basilisks risk free?

3: A simple "no, I've never played a multiclass character" would have sufficed. HLAs are assigned off total character exp for multiclass characters. At 3e6 total exp, an F/M/T gets their first HLA at Fighter level 12, their second 300k Exp later at Thief level 15, their third 75k later at Mage level 13, and so forth. A Paladin gets their first HLA at Paladin level 18, their second HLA 300k later at Paladin 19, their third HLA 300k later at Paladin 20...

edited November 2017
    1. Mages will always have to load their defense and then attack.

2. I'm not saying that, I'm saying that fighter will not have close 100MR and 100DR, nor the Cleric spells. Solo melee you'll always have enough THAC0 to hit everything, you don't need +2 two from fighter.

3. You asked how does these misconceptions keep coming up? Probably because you need to pull them up from some proud posters, rather than read them in the wiki.
    1: Um, no. A mage "can" load their defensive buffs and wipe out encounters with ease. They can also use wands to destroy weak mobs en masse, bypass trash mobs with invisibility, render encounters irrelevant with a single spell, or kill numerous critters with another spell. With the way spell casting works, with the Robe of Vecna Fighter type Mage multiclasses can also cast spells while still attacking 4.5 times per round. Mage types have no problems soloing the content with the Exp cap, they only get better without the cap.

2: Every fighter I mentioned is a multiclass fighter, and most of them multiclassed with "mage". Same specialisation, similar THAC0, and it gets more, better, spells, wands, buffs...

3: You mean the wiki on HLAs? "Each level up exceeding 3,000,000 XP, the character will have one point to spend on their HLA pool, multi-class characters get HLAs each level after their total XP get over the threshold, though there’re limitations that triple multis like F/M/T can't access to all of them from their three classes; dual-classers only get HLAs each level when their current active class has more than 3,000,000 XP."

Not sure how expecting you to rtfm is prideful, but you're welcome for the new knowledge, I guess?
    Pantalion said:

Not sure how expecting you to rtfm is prideful, but you're welcome for the new knowledge, I guess?

I don't know @histamiini's thoughts on this, @Pantalion, but you have been making unfriendly comments implying that @histamiini is a bad player. Aside from this comment, this is the first one that comes to mind:
    Pantalion said:

3: A simple "no, I've never played a multiclass character" would have sufficed.

Like you, I also disagreed with @histamiini and argued against his or her points. But I did not assert myself as a superior player or look down on him or her.

Bear in mind that disrespectful behavior is not tolerated on this forum.
    1. Yes, that's called loading.

2. Fighter/Mage especially needs to load, because he can't have armor when spell casting. He will also end up with less MR and DR and can't access Carsomyr beginning of SoA.

3. I'm talking about this: "Multi-class Non-human races may choose to multi-class at character creation, advancing in two or three unkitted classes simultaneously. Multi-class characters gain the advantages and abide the limitations of every class, they divide their experience points among their classes, so their progress in levels are much slower than single class characters. Any XP gained are stored in total, the in-game XP values for each class are rounded down numbers after total XP is divided by the class number for display purpose, there’s no XP loss."

Seriously? Do you even think what you write? Didn't think so. Could 've just said I'm very proud...
    That Histamiini was arguing from a position of ignorance is not a value judgement, nor a character attack, it is simply a fact*. Facts are not disrespectful, whether you like them or not. It does not follow that I consider myself superior, nor that I hold any particular opinion towards them.

Likewise, my response was to disabuse them of their misconception, in response to which they inferred that this information was somehow secret, and that it was unreasonable to expect them to hold a basic level of knowledge on the topic. I have made no personal attacks at this time, and do not take prideful to be an insult, as I am fantastic.

*If Histamiini cares to dispute this and clarify that they have in fact played multiclass characters, but never into HLA levels, or that they in fact spaced out while levelling up characters through all of ToB then I will happily accept the correction.

1: You referred specifically to loading defences before attacking, I have explained this to be false, with mages being perfectly capable of wiping out entire encounters without prebuffing and with single spells. I'm not certain why you are redefining terms.

2: Armour lasts for hours, AC 5 is plenty for most combats, and Polymorph gives 100% MR and immunity to various other things (including vampires if they fixed the bug). Various spells also give effectively 100% damage reduction well before HLAs, and can be cast mid combat with the aforementioned 4.5 APR + Vecna shenanigans. This is discounting the F/M/T, which also gets any gear the Paladin could feasibly get as well.

3: So you need redundancy on the wiki? Go ahead and edit it I guess, just copy from the page explaining HLAs: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/High-level_class_ability