Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• GandaGanda Member Posts: 35
    Never thought of using Nishruu against beholders before. Don't know why, it seems so obvious now I read it in black and white :blush:
    Funnily enough my lastest BG2 run ended last night with a bit of bad luck on the unseeing eye quest against the first group of beholders.
    Gonna wait till we got Nishruu spell next time.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited December 2015
    Great prgress @Gotural, your knowledge of the game doesn't seem to rust as fast as mine... ;)

My playtrhough with Palla, which was going swell with her approaching the 2 million XP mark and several quests completed, came to an abrupt end yesterday when she got very needlessly Held by a Ghast in Prebek's home. (I didn't even watch to see if she'd make it thanks to her buffs.) As with Belle's fall in the old tunnels, this was yet another case of Blackraven stubbornly playing on when a RL intervention really demanded a short break from the game.

Edit: @bengoshi, something good did come out of this. Girlfriend and I didn't play together but after the last incident she felt guilty and decided she wanted to do a multiplayer run with me :)
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    edited December 2015
    Thank you @Blackraven
    I had the chance of playing another Blackguard, same name and portrait but one less Wisdom, last year with SCS. It was more or less a test run in minimal reload, as I used EEKeeper to give him Carsomyr +6 and 8,000,000 XP but it was fun, I also picked up Jan instead of Hexxat. I stopped in the Asylum so I actually played SCS2 once before.
    Now I'm pretty much playing blind which is very thrilling, it's deliciously stressful and I'm playing so carefully! :smile:

But I still know every creatures and encounters from at least 10 years of PnP, reading many reports on this forum and also because I always have sorcerers.net to guide me when I'm playing BG2 so I know what's coming next :wink:
    Post edited by Gotural on
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @bengoshi I am also taking screenshots in case you want me to do a post one day (which I would gratefully do).

Also you forgot when I was controlling Llolnae and she got oneshotted by the Thief in that fight (who had been held while invisible before I believe).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm always happy when others post about the MP run.

@CrevsDaak Your images are not seen. In this thread we try to post not bmps, but jpegs or pngs. Use an image converter (there're many online).

Also, I really recommend to use the Snapper program. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44455/theres-a-way-to-always-make-screenshots-in-the-jpeg-format-right-off#latest It's much easier to upload screenshots made by that program.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2015
    @bengoshi they're just .png files, not .bmp, it's just that
    1) dropbox's not showing them as usual
    2) they're too big and didn't load.

I changed them to .jpg with Photoshop (remember, I'm on Mac) and uploaded them to the post.

Edit: If anyone STILL doesn't see the image, Quote the post, copy the links and paste them in a new Tab. If it doesn't load them then, blame Vanilla (they're all within the 400-800Kb scale), I mean, I don't know what else to do.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    We already dual-classed Ruva, our Wizard Slayer, earlier on. Right before we leave Chateau Irenicus, we also dual Viora to Cleric and Zulfer to Fighter, so the quest XP after the next cutscene will give us a few levels.

The Ring of Human Influence turns Cohrvale against his friend. Once Bregg is down, we blast Cohrvale.
    imageimage

I feel this party is pretty strong, so I deliberately trigger the Suna Seni ambush early on. We bought some Acid Arrows beforehand (I used a Friends scroll to get the Glasses of Identification, and wanted to make use of the extra CHA before it wore off), which help us minimize the spell pressure in this fight.

With our Assassin and Wizard Slayer still recovering their thief and fighter levels, we don't have many good options for disrupting spells. Not yet.

Our summons crush Suna Seni, much faster than I expected. But a mage appears behind us, fully buffed, with an enchantment spell already on the way.

We can't stop it in time, even with Acid Arrows. Only Viora and Yoren Zovai, our cleric and sorcerer, make their saves against Confusion. Our Archer almost dies before a Spirit Wolf can remove her attacker.

That same Spirit Wolf keeps that mage from casting any further spells. Her spell protections won't stop its cold damage, or its paralysis on hit. With the mage gone, we go hunting for Eldarin, who fails a save against Viora's Hold Person spell.

Hold Person is devastating in the early game in Athkatla, when most of the enemies are still human.

After grabbing the Nymph Cloak from Gorch, we head to the Graveyard, earlier than normal. That cloak lets us charm Pai'Na.

This opens up a cute exploit. As a Totemic Druid, Laosha can't shapeshift. But SCS allows all druids to conjure shapeshifting tokens, and all druids can equip them. We get Pai'Na to conjure the tokens we want, so we can loot them from her corpse.

Pai'na's best spells are cast via script, however, which means we can't make her waste her Insect Plague or Chain Lightning spell. The Nymph Cloak can't get us that far.

We don't have any area-effect spells in our spellbooks, but we have scrolls to fill the void. A Fireball scroll disrupts Pai'Na's first spell and destroys most of her allies. With no spiders to distract us, we can mob Pai'Na. The pressure is too much; druid spells are very slow-casting and easy to disrupt.
    imageimage

Now Laosha can shapeshift, just like any other druid. I don't know if I'll use it much, but I like that it's possible.

A lot of SCS mages cast Protection from Fire or Protection from Cold as prebuffs, but they basically never cast Protection from Lightning or Protection from Acid. This means weapons that deal electricity or acid damage can more reliably deal damage through Stoneskin. The Halcyon spear deals 1 electricity damage per hit, and can be obtained with little fuss--much less than Borok's Fist or Blackblood or the Flail of Ages. We use summons to kill the undead in the lower tombs, since some of the enemies can drain levels. Pixie Dust keeps us out of harm's way.

The Vampyre turns into a bat and runs away, slipping through a secret door somehow. We have to rest again to finish it off, as our buffs have worn down.

We push forward with our summons just far enough to get the spear, which goes to Zulfer.

We trigger the Renfeld ambush, which is always unexciting after the much tougher Suna Seni ambush, and go visit Prebek. Unfortunately, his dialog turns him hostile even after we charmed him with the Nymph Cloak before the fight began.

We're not in too much trouble. We have more options for disrupting spells than we did before. For one thing, Ruva regained her fighter levels, which means she applies 25% spell failure per hit.

A Spirit Wolf breaks through Prebek's defenses. A Spirit Snake breaks through Sanasha's.
    imageimage