Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Mantis37 Looks like you have much the same installation as I have. I'm enjoying it. I love the way that you are writing up your adventure.
    Mantis37StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173

@Mantis37 Looks like you have much the same installation as I have. I'm enjoying it. I love the way that you are writing up your adventure.

Thanks... but remember that my installation has been defanged somewhat! Yours is far more difficult I'm sure.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You're lightning fast, @Grond0. I think you're going to win this race.
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @Grond0 Technically, when you talk to Degrodel you get 5 stone to flesh scrolls as part of the quest (thus, are quest items), couldn't you use those to bring your guy back?
    StummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    I may need over 200,000 XP to handle Sarevok regardless of his MR. We can't get a Fire Elemental until my Totemic Druid hits level 11, and my Bounty Hunter will need 220,000 XP to get lingering poison damage traps. Those two factors could really make the difference.
    Wise_Grimwaldlolien
    Sounds like bad scripting if they seriously won't respond to getting hit with Fireballs from outside their line of sight.

Good. Bad scripting is good.

Unfortunately, only one sorcerer knows Fireball; my Dragon Disciple only knows Slow and Invisibility 10' Radius. If my other sorcerer casts six Fireballs at level 8 and my Bounty Hunter throws two Special Snares, we're looking at about 121 damage assuming all saving throws are successful. But that looks almost enough to take down Diarmid, Tazok, and Semaj, leaving only the Skeleton Warriors.

@Grond0: I just performed a test and it looks like Sarevok has 100% magic resistance in my install even if Semaj, Angelo, Tazok, and Diarmid are all dead, as well as if the Skeleton Warriors who replace them are dead as well. Sarevok also has 40% resistance to fire, acid, cold, and electrical damage. On top of that, his Haste is completely undispellable; it comes from an item and even CTRL-R won't remove it.

On the plus side, his weapon is bugged. Instead of a sword, he wields... 7 gold pieces. Which deal zero damage when he hits. So I could just punch him until he falls down and then use Shillelagh to deal the final blow. The only problem would be taking down his goons.

Testing also found that Diarmid is immune to Web even after his Protection from Magic scroll has worn off and that Tazok's fire resistance is temporary rather than permanent.
    Corey_RussellStummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited November 2017
    Out of curiosity...those mod enemies don't receive improved mage scripts from SCS? I had thought all those overleveled enemies would be extra deadly.
    Post edited by Mantis37 on
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovOrlonKronsteen
    @Mantis37: Apparently not. I think SCS only modifies vanilla enemies and a few specific Tactics or Ascension enemies depending on your install; it doesn't modify all mod-introduced mages.

Anyway, I fought the respawning Gullykin ogres for over an hour and collected about 20,000 XP per party member, putting us about 80,000 shy of Raise Dead. We had three extremely close calls in the process, though: the enemy fighters hit hard and often and nearly killed both my Bounty Hunter (!) and my cleric (!!!) on separate occasions, and a Horror spell caught us off guard, though fortunately we were able to cast Remove Fear on the Bounty Hunter and Invisibility on our second sorcerer. We're now at sorcerer level 9, and have double Fireballs plus Minute Meteors and Emotion: Hopelessness (which in my install stuns for 10 rounds instead of putting enemies to sleep for 2 rounds per level).

I didn't think things would get quite this complicated. I planned on a low=risk, low-intensity poverty run where I kept the party invisible pretty much 100% of the time up until the fight with Sarevok. But without a Totemic Druid, we simply have to participate in fights; a cleric's summons are really not adequate on their own.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited November 2017

Anyway, I fought the respawning Gullykin ogres for over an hour and collected about 20,000 XP per party member, putting us about 80,000 shy of Raise Dead.

@semiticgod what spawns do you get in the pirate cave in your installation? If that's golems then they would be a very quick and easy source of XP - just use invisibility to block off your sorcerers and MMM them to death.
    StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddesslolien
    edited November 2017
    semiticgod said:On the plus side, his weapon is bugged. Instead of a sword, he wields... 7 gold pieces. Which deal zero damage when he hits. So I could just punch him until he falls down and then use Shillelagh to deal the final blow. The only problem would be taking down his goons.

Unless EE has changed things, you can kill him by just punching him. I once played in Tutu a non-violent fighter/thief and the object was to complete BG1 without killing anybody. I backstabbed him with my fists and killed him.

I was wanting to get him killed by setting off a trap, but he died before I got to the stage.

PS I f you have the Vynd mod, he throws gold pieces at a character in the Cloakwood mines (The one who asks for 100gp) and they do one HP of damage.
    JuliusBorisovlolien

I may need over 200,000 XP to handle Sarevok regardless of his MR. We can't get a Fire Elemental until my Totemic Druid hits level 11, and my Bounty Hunter will need 220,000 XP to get lingering poison damage traps. Those two factors could really make the difference.

If there are no other quests that you want to do, you can always try sleeping in the ankheg lair. I avoid doing that myself unless I am just wanting a few thousand in order to level up. Experience mining isn't my scene.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992

)I didn't think things would get quite this complicated. I planned on a low=risk, low-intensity poverty run where I kept the party invisible pretty much 100% of the time up until the fight with Sarevok. But without a Totemic Druid, we simply have to participate in fights; a cleric's summons are really not adequate on their own.

Well, I have the feeling that your situation also has a lot to do with your install. With all those mod introduces enemies (with little regards to balance, as far as I've seen in your runs lately), you make your own life a lot more miserable than it could be. Your playing a "hard-as-balls" version of a poverty run. :p

What are your thoughts about that ? Do you think mods crank up the difficulty - and if so, is it too much ? Or do you think that you would actually run into the same type of problems in a less modded install ?
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddesslolien
    Arctodus said:

Well, I have the feeling that your situation also has a lot to do with your install. With all those mod introduces enemies (with little regards to balance, as far as I've seen in your runs lately), you make your own life a lot more miserable than it could be. Your playing a "hard-as-balls" version of a poverty run. :p

What are your thoughts about that ? Do you think mods crank up the difficulty - and if so, is it too much ? Or do you think that you would actually run into the same type of problems in a less modded install ?

The mod enemies do grant a lot of additional XP, often well over 1,000 each, so some of them are very much worth tackling. But based on the death of the Totemic Druid and the near-death of two other party members who only survived thanks to Invisibility spells at the right moment, I have to say that the mod enemies make the game much more challenging, especially in a poverty run.
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovArctodusStummvonBordwehr