Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    @Enuhal It seems such a strange mechanic that they have it where the dragon is killed by a throwing dagger. Inside designer joke maybe?
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Alesia_BH said:

Ygramul said:

Like I am grossly wrong on this but...
    I thought that EE included the Fixpack?

It includes the Core fixes, not the Optional But Cool components.

(In the original adventure, Free Action, in all its forms, protected against stun. The consistency led to a belief that this was by intent. Perhaps it was, at the time. Nonetheless, years after the game's release (around 2006, I think) some members of the G3 community began to question the logic. Stun is a mental effect, not a movement restriction: Why should Free Action have any effect at all? Eventually, the G3 team asked David Gaider, and Gaider said that Free Action should not protect against stun. G3 developed and implemented a patch, in response. This made some people happy, others not so much, since it left players with too few options for defending against stun. In a conversation with Camdog on the old-old Bioware forums, I suggested that the G3 team should create a Free Action Protects Against Stun component for players who might find stun overpowered post fix. Eventually that happened. I'm not sure whether my conversation with Camdog had anything to do with that)
    Ygramul said:

My current install (EE/Steam/Mac) has only SCS as a mod. Shall I then assume that, e.g., the Free Action Ring does not protect against stun?

Free Action should not protect against stun in your install. If you'd like Free Action to protect against stun, grab the Fixpack, start the installer, request display of the Optional But Cool Components, and then select Free Action Protects Against Stun.

Best,

A.
    Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

If I may follow up:
    how do IR or SR change this balance (stun etc.) with new spells/items? For the better or for the worse?
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    Ygramul said:

If I may follow up: how do IR or SR change this balance (stun etc.) with new spells/items? For the better or for the worse?

I have no idea.

(One of our SR/IR players may have some insight)

Best,

A.

Ygramul
    Arctodus said:

After having checked with NI to make sure I don't say stupid things, Free Action is much more powerful under an IR/SR setup. Not only Free Action, granted either from items or spells, protects against Stun, but it also doesn't stop Haste. Less item gives that protection though. For instance, Spider's Bane now gives immunity to Poison and Web, instead of Free Action outright (which is thematically much better in my opinion).

Thanks, @Arctodus

The Spider Bane change is interesting: it makes the item powerful where obtained (Cloakwood) but not make it the obvious no-brainer choice. (My Cavalier is still using it way into SoD by now, despite better weapons available.)

As I've already mentioned they are all quite stable and balanced (to a certain extent) though not everyone is happy with ALL their changes. That's one of the reasons they are in *work-in-progress* state for so long. My runs are also usually take VERY long time (months and even years - I am an inveterate completionist...) but I don't think it's a waste to use those mods in their current state.

Oooh, I like the changes to FoA.

I am increasingly inclined to switch to IR and SR based on what I hear. Thanks for the comments.

Am I right in assuming that in an IR+SR+SCS install Stun protection is achieved by casting Free Action most likely? (Other than blanket protection to everything with rare potions.)
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    I once had a run where at least 1/2 the NPCs you can get in BG 2 were all chunked. My party was severely underleveled by the time we faced Melissan, and didn't have enough HLAs to prevail (failed run). Was exciting run.

Since I don't play SCS, I play with chunkings possible, as that can force me to adapt and give me a challenge, especially if I get multiple a run. Can't tell you how many times poor Aerie as been chunked in my parties...
    JuliusBorisovAerakarArctodusWise_Grimwald
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Yepppp. Speaking of chunking, I've lost one of my two archers to a mage fight in Baldur's Gate that ended in flames and a Sunfire. After a bit of a debate, I'll continue without reviving him, and possibly recruit some NPCs to finish off a couple difficult fights.

The last run I made into BG2, I think I had a sizable perma-dead list: Minsc, Neera, Rasaad, Cernd (?), Korgan... everyone kept dying that run.
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    If I remember the player's manual correctly, I thought I remember it saying chunkings occur when a character's HP is at -10 HP or less.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
    edited September 2017

If I remember the player's manual correctly, I thought I remember it saying chunkings occur when a character's HP is at -10 HP or less.

On Core or above. On Normal or below permanent death is disabled

Best,

A.

semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovlolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I normally play on Core, or Insane with the bonus damage disabled, and only scribe spells when my INT is at least 24 (which guarantees a successful scribing despite all penalties). Maybe I'll try Normal mode next time to circumvent the chunking issue. With the right settings, it'll be the same as my normal setups, except without chunking.

But since higher difficulties add some extra enemies and give them some extra powers in Siege of Dragonspear, I might still play Core or Insane in SoD, and use a workaround in the event of chunking.
    edited September 2017

I normally play on Core, or Insane with the bonus damage disabled, and only scribe spells when my INT is at least 24 (which guarantees a successful scribing despite all penalties). Maybe I'll try Normal mode next time to circumvent the chunking issue. With the right settings, it'll be the same as my normal setups, except without chunking.

But since higher difficulties add some extra enemies and give them some extra powers in Siege of Dragonspear, I might still play Core or Insane in SoD, and use a workaround in the event of chunking.

If the engine lets you play on Normal without the damage nerf, and you raise the slider to Core for spell scribing and HP rolls, then you should be able to get a Core without chunking experience, for the most part.

The exceptions that I know of would be SoD (apparently), the Ascension battles at the Throne, and Oversight Sendai. There, the slider can effect enemy number and or type, in addition to damage

Best,

A.
    semiticgoddesslolien