Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Mantis37 said:

I think I may return to BGT for my full SCS run next, the EEs can get a little bit too laggy on my rustbucket.

Just our ot curiosity, what exactly is lagging for you in the EEs, or do you mean your device (a laptop?) runs the EEs with lags?
    Mantis37
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    Congrats @semiticgod - well done. Amazing speed..some of my runs take many months to get to the end.
    ArctodusJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    Glad to see Arbogast in Amn, Enuhal!

Best,

A.
    EnuhalJuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    edited September 2017
    Once again, I'm glad you achieved your goals!

Best,

A.
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    @semiticgod Let's just not think about Noober having access to Simulacrum...
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    Borco said:

Or worse, having Imoen's belt that she wears in Irenicus' dungeon...
    Grond0JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Congrats @semiticgod - well done. Amazing speed..some of my runs take many months to get to the end.

Bear in mind that my posts usually detail events that happened in the recent past; I don't usually start posting on a run until it's got some momentum. I didn't complete the game as quickly as I posted it here.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

I appreciate it, guys. @Ygramul, can you add Frisk's run to the Hall of Heroes?

Glad to. Congratulations on a successful run.

Could you give me a pasteable text block to ... err... paste?
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325

Borco said:

Or worse, having Imoen's belt that she wears in Irenicus' dungeon...
    Maybe add Boots of Speed and Amulet of Power?
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992

Mechanically, I think the biggest takeaway here is that even low-level enemies get some pretty crazy powers that the player does not--and yet, they really don't exploit them as much as they could. A good example is SCS Bodhi with the Tactics mod. If Hazzerbazzer and Manasseh simply bought a Wand of Monster Summoning, they could have cranked Chapter 6 Bodhi's HP over 1,000 by having her drink the blood of a bunch of summoned hobgoblins. And Bodhi could have negated the slow effect from the holy water by drinking an Oil of Speed--or having one of the mages cast Improved Haste on her.

There are all kinds of examples, actually. With her 5 APR, Maneira would be unstoppable if she simply had some decent potions and a suit of full plate mail. Clay Golems would be nearly invincible if you just gave them Roranach's Horn. There's no reason vampires couldn't wear armor, or drink Potions of Magic Shielding to ward off Sunray spells. Mutamin could take over an entire city with those basilisks of his. Firkraag would be a lot tougher if he simply drank a Potion of Clarity to avoid getting feebleminded. Melissan could obliterate any mage protagonist just by using a Protection from Magic scroll on them. Liches could deal with Protection from Undead scrolls just by keeping some non-undead allies around. Mages could chain-cast Time Stop spells, waiting out the player's PFMW spells and dual-wielding daggers to kill the player's fighters. Sarevok could have destroyed the player if he just had a few archers with some Arrows of Detonation. TorGal would be much tougher if those Yuan-ti Mages kept some Protection from Fire or Invisibility spells on hand for when their troll allies fell down.

Enemies have some incredible strengths, but they never patch their weaknesses. That's what separates them from the player.

Maybe it's time for you to write a difficulty mods? :p

By the way, congrats !
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,169
    edited September 2017

Mantis37 said:

I think I may return to BGT for my full SCS run next, the EEs can get a little bit too laggy on my rustbucket.

Just our ot curiosity, what exactly is lagging for you in the EEs, or do you mean your device (a laptop?) runs the EEs with lags?
    Congrats @semiticgod, I look forward to trying a Seducer sometime.

Thank you for your curiosity @JuliusBorisov, I am playing on a laptop which is 4-5 years old, and so it has trouble dealing with some graphical effects. During many battles I simply zoom into a blank point offscreen and keep an eye on the text messages to speed the process a little :). (Not as off putting for me as for some people as I just completed a roguelike for the first time!) This is particularly pronounced when effects like cloudkill or entangle are around. By contrast I don't remember much slowdown when playing the Ascension battle with SCS- although there were more bugs to deal with in the old days!

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

@Ygramul:

Frisk, the Seducer: @semiticgod
    BG1, SoD, SoA, ToB
    Notable mods: Enhanced Edition Trilogy, SCS v30, Ascension, Seducer Kit for Thieves v1.21
    "Solo": No party members except those from Seduction
    Difficulty: Core

Yep. Just added. Congratulations.
    semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Congrats semiticgod!
    I've also had graphical issues with a couple things: cloud spells and the burning-character animation. Both slow things to a crawl; an older post claimed modifying some files to display acid damage instead of fire animations helped, but didn't list which files he edited.
    Mantis37JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald