Skip to content

A NWN:EE Countdown on beamdog.com

Comments

• aarionnaarionn Member Posts: 94
    5 more hours till stream! I can hardly wait. Please do not disappoint us... NWN revival... it is probably more important that all your EE's together!
    Flashburn
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    It's the graphics that need to be addressed in the EE.

NWN, despite coming out after Baldur's Gate, looks significantly worse than it.

NWN is in dire need of texture updates to be brought into the modern age. Heck even getting it looking as good as Baldur's Gate would be amazing.
    AedanBaptor
  • Delyr21Delyr21 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1

Greetings, everyone!

You might have noticed a Mysterious Countdown has appeared on https://www.beamdog.com/, which will end at 12 PST/1PM MST, Nov 21.

ARE YOU READY?

I have been waiting a NWN EE for years.

I started playing 13 years ago at this game and can't wait to buy this enhanced version.

I'm also interested to beta test it to help developers if needed. Where do I have to write to ask for it?

Cya in game soon :-)
    aarionntbone1
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited November 2017
    I'm very excited about NWN:EE. I've always loved NWN, and I still play it about as frequently as BG. It has a permanent place on my gaming rotation.

I can just barely get the GoG version to run, and it has crashing issues and stability issues, especially with mods like the Aielund Saga. So I would buy this just for greater stability alone.

I saw on the Facebook page where the author of the Aielund Saga said he might remaster it for the EE if it has enough new graphical options in the toolset for him to work with.

NWN 1 can't be beat for its potential in user-created content.
    aarionntbone1
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I also will be skipping this. Bitterly disappointed they're wasting resources doing EEs instead of a new game. And of all the old D&D games, NwN was the worst for me because it is entirely oriented towards multiplayer in which I have absolutely no interest. Not being party-based means the single-player experience is by design clearly secondary. At least NwN2 corrected this huge mistake by returning to being party-based. Not being party-based is a deal-breaker for me.
  • DurendalDurendal Member Posts: 32
    If I remember correctly, the way the D&D game license works means that all "new" products have to use the most recent version of the rules and lore if possible, and since Beamdog's products have all been remasters or expansions, it skirts by that agreement.

Also, NWN was absolutely intended for multiplayer, and the Official Campaign was an afterthought because they weren't allowed to ship without single player content, so that's at least correct.
    ThacoBellBaptor
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    kanisatha said:

I also will be skipping this. Bitterly disappointed they're wasting resources doing EEs instead of a new game. And of all the old D&D games, NwN was the worst for me because it is entirely oriented towards multiplayer in which I have absolutely no interest. Not being party-based means the single-player experience is by design clearly secondary. At least NwN2 corrected this huge mistake by returning to being party-based. Not being party-based is a deal-breaker for me.

Also means that when its done they continue to do Nwn II.

This would be the death for the hope of a new game from them the next 5 years...

This sux.. sry to say...
    kanisatha
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    lordkim said:

kanisatha said:

This would be the death for the hope of a new game from them the next 5 years...

This sux.. sry to say...
    They probably have completely different teams working on
    - IE patches
    - NWN EE
    - new game

One thing doesn't necessarily take time away from the other.
    AstroBryGuyGodThacoBellBaptor
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Dev6 said:

lordkim said:

kanisatha said:

This sux.. sry to say...
    - IE patches
    - NWN EE
    - new game

Yes it does given how small Beamdog is as a company.
    Dev6 said:

lordkim said:

kanisatha said:

This sux.. sry to say...
    - IE patches
    - NWN EE
    - new game

Well last Patch for BG 1 /2 is 1½ years old..

This will take time ..trust me... No new game from Beam the next 4-5 years... IF im wrong, ill buy beers for every member on this forum ;)
    kanisatha
  • DurendalDurendal Member Posts: 32
    Making a patch is signifigantly less resource intensive than making setting up an entirely new re-release. If they're separate teams, that already implies that each is dedicated to their individual projects rather than taking away from each other.
    Dev6ThacoBell
    I love to be proven wong :)
    StummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]
  • MelkiorMelkior Member Posts: 179
    So are they going to fix mistakes, and remove some mostly-senseless limitations, and add some missing scripting commands?

Like, fix the bug where Red Dragon Disciple and Dwarven Defender can't be de-levelled because doing so doesn't remove the ability bonuses and so bugs the character?

Like, Give us a scripting command to allow tile animations to be turned on and off (and whether or not they're on or off to be read) within scripts?

Like, allow server owners to define the maximum bonuses for things like armor class by putting lines into the game's INI file to get around the bonus caps?

Like, stop the bug happening where the lightning bolt or chain lightning effect sometimes gets "stuck" so that the player is walking around with lightning constantly buzzing away?

Like, stop the bug where an enemy is totally invisible and impossible to target even though you can see the enemy's name and damage when you hit the tab key so they're obviously not using HIPS or invisibility?

Like, get rid of the bug where every creature including NPCs suddenly appears to have the invisibility effect so you can only see them if you're really close?

... and that's just me getting warmed up...
    JuliusBorisovBaptor
  • Xerxes1811Xerxes1811 Member Posts: 65
    This is awesome! I have NWN Diamond installed on my Win 10 pc, needless to say I had to mod the heck out of it to get it to run properly lol. Big thanks to Lilura and her blog for helping me get the original up and running! Even then though it still feels a bit rough and runs choppy at times, even on my beast gaming pc, game just wasn't designed for Windows 10.

https://lilura1.blogspot.com/p/index-of-content.html

All I ask is that this EE be compatible with great user created modules like Swordfight and Aeilund Saga. Interesting to see if Project Q and/or the CEP packs are baked into it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    kanisatha said:

Dev6 said:

lordkim said:

kanisatha said:

This sux.. sry to say...
    - IE patches
    - NWN EE
    - new game

Yes it does given how small Beamdog is as a company.
    The patches and the new EE have already been confirmed by BD to be different teams, so one does not effect the other. It also would make zero sense to higher Gaider just to do some grammar and editing passes on an EE. Beamdog had a big hiring push in the year and a half so three separate teams seems entirely reasonable.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited November 2017
    Dev6 said:

lordkim said:

kanisatha said:

This sux.. sry to say...
    - IE patches
    - NWN EE

This is correct, teams on NWN and IE patches are different. No comments about anything else mentioned.
    Dev6StummvonBordwehrBaptor
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    Updated graphics. I expect no less. Don't be lazy here Beamdog.
    [Deleted User]
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Melkior said:

So are they going to fix mistakes, and remove some mostly-senseless limitations, and add some missing scripting commands?

Like, fix the bug where Red Dragon Disciple and Dwarven Defender can't be de-levelled because doing so doesn't remove the ability bonuses and so bugs the character?

Like, Give us a scripting command to allow tile animations to be turned on and off (and whether or not they're on or off to be read) within scripts?

Like, allow server owners to define the maximum bonuses for things like armor class by putting lines into the game's INI file to get around the bonus caps?

Like, stop the bug happening where the lightning bolt or chain lightning effect sometimes gets "stuck" so that the player is walking around with lightning constantly buzzing away?

Like, stop the bug where an enemy is totally invisible and impossible to target even though you can see the enemy's name and damage when you hit the tab key so they're obviously not using HIPS or invisibility?

Like, get rid of the bug where every creature including NPCs suddenly appears to have the invisibility effect so you can only see them if you're really close?

... and that's just me getting warmed up...

Keep them (questions) coming, folks! Or, better, join the stream today and ask them directly!
    Baptor
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Sirick said:

There's shaders now, though it doesn't seem to make the game look that different. I hope NWNCQ still works, or gets an update for NWN:EE.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    @JuliusBorisov do you have the original assets this time or do you choose to work only on games where the arts are lost :p
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    Flashburn said:

Sirick said:

There's shaders now, though it doesn't seem to make the game look that different. I hope NWNCQ still works, or gets an update for NWN:EE.
    NWN came out during that ugly period when games were trying to find how to do 3D, it would not take much to improve things. Bump up the models and textures on characters and environments , perhaps get some mouth movement with speech. Jade Empire still looks great, and it's hardly Crisis.

I've seen Beamdog be lazy too many times, if they had just put in some more effort here and there they could banish 75% of the negative feedback they get.
    I fear I expect too much from them, and it's sad when I see modders do better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    SirickAedanThacoBell
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 3
    Hello there! Puffy from the NwN PW Server City of Arabel here, super excited about this launch and I can't wait to see the stream! Our players are equally excited and been discussing it since the announcement
    FlashburnDev6Baptor
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Shandaxx said:

Wait a minute... if Neverwinter Nights returns... so will Hordes of the Underdark, right? RIGHT???!!

I have very fond memories of that particular expansion!

@JuliusBorisov
    NWN:EE will naturally contain both expansions of NWN right?

SoU and HotU will be there, don't you worry.
    [Deleted User]
    Shandaxx said:

Wait a minute... if Neverwinter Nights returns... so will Hordes of the Underdark, right? RIGHT???!!

I have very fond memories of that particular expansion!

@JuliusBorisov
    NWN:EE will naturally contain both expansions of NWN right?

Just wait for the store page and the FAQ to go live (to see a definitive answer).
    [Deleted User]
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Shandaxx
    From the store page on Beamdog site:

[Deleted User]FlashburnStummvonBordwehr
This discussion has been closed.