Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085

Meh. I was hoping for a brand new game. Whatever the case, It Will bè lucky if It manages to even sell 500,000 copies, given that crpgs have Always been the ignored underdog of videogames and D&D never had a huge appeal.

Couldn't agree more. That's why I like playing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition so much with its Pathfinder ruleset. Neverwinter Nights and its D&D platform has never been popular with gamers.

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    deltago said:

kanisatha said:

Well, I really hope the gameinformer article is an elaborate hoax, because after all this waiting and anticipation I for one will be extremely disappointed if this is yet another EE. At this point I feel that just pushing out more EEs causes more harm than good to Beamdog's standing and credibility as a game developer.

The beauty with NWN is that they can offer a NEW campaign with the release... written by Gaider... and do not need to jump through any political hoops to get 'er done.
    But that's even worse. My problem is not just that it's yet another EE but also very much that it is NwN, the worst of the old D&D games. Not being party-based (for single player) is an automatic deal breaker for me, and adding in new content to NwN is not going to change that.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Maybe one of the enhancements is party bard play for solo games...
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    This is bad.

The graphics look even worse than I remember and if you want ugly, tile-based graphics with multi-player support why wouldn't you go for Sword Coast Legends?

I guess the sales numbers will tell but this looks like yet another mistake.

kanisatha said:

My problem is not just that it's yet another EE but also very much that it is NwN, the worst of the old D&D games.

You have obviously never played Hillsfar....
    LOL! By "old" I wasn't going that far back. :smile:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    If they made a NWN2:EE that fixed all my technical problems with the game it would easily become my favorite CRPG @_@

IMHO they should have skipped this one and gone right to NWN2.

So this. NwN2 is far superior to NwN. I'd be open to picking up this EE only if the changes include making it a party-based game for single-player.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

This is bad.

The graphics look even worse than I remember and if you want ugly, tile-based graphics with multi-player support why wouldn't you go for Sword Coast Legends?

I guess the sales numbers will tell but this looks like yet another mistake.

The NWN1 toolset is far more powerful. But I was okay with the graphics of SCL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    If they finish Witches Wake I may consder this but otherwise not interested.

I want new content, not reheated stuff I've already played.
    I think finally will do is learn how to make your own race in the game. I really want to play some of my homebrew PnP stuff in a video game and NWN is probably the game to do that in.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Personally, I don't care much about NWNEE. Not only I don't intend to play multiplayer (I have neither the will nor the time to arrange my schedule with someone else), but, as far as I remember, the NWN OC is stupidly easy. I remember playing an halfling rogue back in the days that could actually facetank mobs without much of a problem. Without using his actual rogue skills. I remember vividly that it was at that moment I gave up on the game. Challenges are for me an integral part of enjoying a game, so NWN didn't do it for me.

However, I think NWNEE is a good idea for Beamdog. If they can revive the community around the game, it could prove to be a solid addition to their repertoire and provide decent income that let them polish their own game without sweating too much. I think that they now have a decent blueprint for EEs (more low profile than what they did with BG1), so if they can fix the issues people seem to have with the game, more power to Beamdog.

I still plan to play the BGEE saga a lot, but I might even preorder the game just to support Beamdog. I'm lucky enough to say that 20$ ain't much for me. I don't know... From the outside looking in, if I hear about nice difficulty modules, I might even give the thing a try.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Arctodus said:

Personally, I don't care much about NWNEE. Not only I don't intend to play multiplayer (I have neither the will nor the time to arrange my schedule with someone else), but, as far as I remember, the NWN OC is stupidly easy. I remember playing an halfling rogue back in the days that could actually facetank mobs without much of a problem. Without using his actual rogue skills. I remember vividly that it was at that moment I gave up on the game. Challenges are for me an integral part of enjoying a game, so NWN didn't do it for me.

However, I think NWNEE is a good idea for Beamdog. If they can revive the community around the game, it could prove to be a solid addition to their repertoire and provide decent income that let them polish their own game without sweating too much. I think that they now have a decent blueprint for EEs (more low profile than what they did with BG1), so if they can fix the issues people seem to have with the game, more power to Beamdog.

I still plan to play the BGEE saga a lot, but I might even preorder the game just to support Beamdog. I'm lucky enough to say that 20$ ain't much for me. I don't know... From the outside looking in, if I hear about nice difficulty modules, I might even give the thing a try.

That's the beauty of PWs. Log in and play with those that are on at that time. 24/7 access.
    ThacoBell said:

This thread is the best way to covertly find out who prefers single player and who prefers multiplayer that I have ever seen.

So true. And my preference for single-player is very clear. :smile:

I immerse myself in my cRPGs precisely to get away from other (irritating and frustrating) people. The last thing I want to do when gaming is to bring other people into my bubble of tranquility and happiness.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Fardragon said:

If they finish Witches Wake I may consder this but otherwise not interested.

I want new content, not reheated stuff I've already played.

If Rob Bartel came out of hiding to finish off this series, that would be awesome!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2017
    ThacoBell said:

I immerse myself in my cRPGs precisely to get away from other (irritating and frustrating) people. The last thing I want to do when gaming is to bring other people into my bubble of tranquility and happiness.

Are you gonna throw rocks at me now?
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    I have always had two issues with NWN:

1) 3.0 rules are probably the worst iteration of the D&D ruleset.

2) lack of party control. This was such a step backwards from the older BG series it never made any sense to me.

That being said, both of those issues could be addressed by the EE or maybe later by the EE community.

Ultimately I’m not super interested in buying the nwn ee, but if they released it with a new well designed single player campaign I would probably buy it anyway.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Meh. If I only want to play one character, Morrowind/Oblivion did it better. There's multiplayer... but I don't want to play multiplayer. It's 3E... but I don't like 3E, and this is probably the worst iteration of 3E.

If they release an iOS port I suppose might give it a try, only because iOS is so starved for good long-form premium gaming. Out of desperation, in other words.

Whats wrong with 3rd edition?

Meh. I was hoping for a brand new game. Whatever the case, It Will bè lucky if It manages to even sell 500,000 copies, given that crpgs have Always been the ignored underdog of videogames and D&D never had a huge appeal.

Couldn't agree more. That's why I like playing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition so much with its Pathfinder ruleset. Neverwinter Nights and its D&D platform has never been popular with gamers.

Theres a Pathfinder mod for BGEE?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited November 2017

That's why I like playing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition so much with its Pathfinder ruleset.

Wait, what?... Um, what are you on about...

Meh. If I only want to play one character, Morrowind/Oblivion did it better. There's multiplayer... but I don't want to play multiplayer. It's 3E... but I don't like 3E, and this is probably the worst iteration of 3E.

If they release an iOS port I suppose might give it a try, only because iOS is so starved for good long-form premium gaming. Out of desperation, in other words.

I LOVE 3.5 but I'm meh on 3.0.

Stuff like Bards only get simple weapons and can't cast in armor as well as needing ambidexterity for TWF. Granted there is an existing mod that converts the rulset to 3.5 but idk if it is compatible with the PRC pack.
    Vallmyr said:

I LOVE 3.5 but I'm meh on 3.0.

Stuff like Bards only get simple weapons and can't cast in armor as well as needing ambidexterity for TWF. Granted there is an existing mod that converts the rulset to 3.5 but idk if it is compatible with the PRC pack.
    3.5/Pathfinder is definetely my favorite edition, 3.0 definetely needed to bè fixed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    For all you ladies and gentlemen who are not too familiar with what NWN is, we have created a guide:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66918/neverwinter-nights-a-guide-for-newbies
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @ajwz *whispers* I think you quoted the wrong forumite. That was @kanisatha 's quote.
    So, I ask in all seriousness to those who've been posting in this thread forever like I have: when is "the next Beamdog project" going to be an actual original game? I for one am extremely disheartened and disillusioned. We've all been waiting with bated breath for a year and a half now, going on two years. "Soon," we've kept being told. Then there's finally buzz about an announcement, which gets me all excited. It turns out to be PsT EE. Kind of a let-down for me. Wait some more. Another big buzz about an announcement. More excitement and anticipation that here's finally news about a new game. Huge disappointment yet again. Feeling rather depressed and cheated at this point.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    kanisatha said:

So, I ask in all seriousness to those who've been posting in this thread forever like I have: when is "the next Beamdog project" going to be an actual original game? I for one am extremely disheartened and disillusioned.

I'm also in this camp. While I get that it takes longer to develop original games (I work as a software engineer)... Well, a hint would be cool.