Skip to content

[MOD] [BETA] Monastic Orders of Faerun

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

In other news, you get kick animations and YOU get kick animations and EVERYONE GETS KICK ANIMATIONS.

Human
    Half-Orc
    Elf
    Half-Elf
    Dwarf
    Halfling
    Gnome
    What about 2handed animations (e.g. the staff)?
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    It's one or the other, unfortunately (kick anims use the same slots as twohanded weapons), and the anims I've posted are just rescaled human Monk animations.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2017

I am making Monks into a Thief kit in order to allow things like multicasting. As a Thief kit not only do they still have all of their hotbar abilities from before, but they can also multi/dual class to Mages, Priests, and Fighters.

I know it's just my opinion, but giving up all the awesome kits you made in favor of multiclassing doesn't sound like a good trade for me.

But you're the one calling the shots, it's your baby. If you're actually going to do this, can you please provide a permanent link to download a version before this altering?

Thanks!

Edit: I was writing in portuguese.
    edited November 2017
    @Raduziel , I'm more than happy to keep the old version kicking around. All the kits I made are being slightly/moderately restructured to hopefully be a bit more interesting. The monk description I included yesterday was just the base upon which the actually interesting class features are to be built.

My various Monk kits aren't going anywhere; they are simply being adjusted to emphasize what makes each Monastic Order unique, while also opening up the possibilities for multiclassing. To elaborate a bit:
    - Old Order monks are fully customizable (within the new progression system), due to their lack of a central philosophy. They can also multiclass however they please (Fighter/Monk, Monk/Mage, Monk/Cleric).
    - Sun Soul monks are still do-gooders with a propensity for fire, and can also multiclass as Fighter/Monks or Monk/Clerics (with various cleric kits on the table for Lathander, Sune and Selune).
    - Dark Moon monks are shadowy figures with access to minor illusion magic and the Monk/Illusionist multikit.
    - Shining Hand monks are skilled in fighting arcane spellcasters and have access to the Monk/Mage multiclass.
    - Hin Fist monks rely on swift strikes and movement, and can progress as Fighter/Monks.
    - Long Death monks are stealthy assassins with access to powerful poisons and disabling effects and can progress as Fighter/Monks.
    - Broken One monks are resilient protectors of the weak, and are able to progress as Monk/Clerics (maybe with a Painbearer kit).

Monks in the new system also get a variety of fighting styles (modal abilities that they can shift between at-will, such as Flurry of Blows), which serve to provide different cool "Monk-ish" abilities without requiring massive amounts of micromanagement.
    Post edited by Aquadrizzt on
    Here are some of the Fighting Styles that I've drawn up for the next release of this mod. Note that numbers are a bit in flux right now, and that the underlying designs are what I'd appreciate feedback on.

Remember that Monks have access to a rather limited number of these, they may only have one active at a time, and changing them costs a round. Also note that, unless otherwise specified, these effects work with all weapons the Monk uses, not just fists.

- Flurry of Blows: +1 APR
    - Broken Blade: +1d6 fist damage
    - Hands of Iron: +2 bonus to melee Armor Class
    - Unbreakable Stride: immunity to slow, haste(?), entangle, web, grease, hold person, etc.
    - Steel Serpent: your attacks have a chance to poison, dealing damage over time unless the target saves vs. death.
    - Night Cobra: +1x backstab multiplier, +40% stealth
    - Death's Hand: heal 1d3 on hit; heal for 25% of your HP on kill (or other bonus)
    - Leaping Spirit: you teleport to a random enemy every round; +1x backstab multiplier; your hits always backstab
    - Ghostwalker: immunity to backstab, critical hits, and normal weapons
    - Swirling Winds: large bonus to missile AC
    - Shattered Mirror: whenever you are struck, create a mirror image (up to some limit)
    - Diamond Mind: immunity to most mind-affecting conditions
    - Thrashing Dragon: two-weapon style bonuses
    - Storm's Vengeance: +1d4 electric damage; enemies that hit you in melee take electric damage
  • JarinexJarinex Member Posts: 46
    I haven’t had a chance to really play BG2EE recently, but Im definitly glad to see you are coming back to this mod. There are some great ideas in it for sure!

Will the next release be EET compatible? And will it meld well with the other mods (i.e tome and blood, might and guile, etc etc)? Since you want to try and make it as a thief kit, I wonder if it will work well with them?

I’ll let people with more experience give better ideas, but I think they look good.
    The version I'm working on now is was written completely from scratch. I've been quite careful to maximize compatibility while I'm writing it, but the real test will be when it's finished and I can actually try installing it on EET.
    Also for reference, here is the current base class description (presented as a Thief kit).

MONK: Monks are warriors who pursue perfection through contemplation as well as action. They are versatile fighters, especially skilled in combat without weapons or armor. The monk's focus and dedication to their path allows them to perform amazing feats of both martial and mental discipline.

Advantages:
    - Has THAC0 equal to a Fighter of the same level.
    - May add their Wisdom modifier to their Armor Class.
    - Has an improved Unarmed Strike that deals 1d6 crushing damage, grants two attacks per round, and counts as a +3 magical weapon.
    - At 3rd level, their base AC decreases to 9, and decreases by 1 more at 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th levels.
    - Hit Die: d8

Disadvantages:
    - May only distribute 25 at 1st level and 15 skill points per level after 1st.
    - May not invest points in Open Locks, Pick Pockets, Set Traps, or Detect Illusions.
    - May not use the Remove Traps ability.
    - Does not deal bonus damage from Backstabs.
    - May not use or become Proficient with two-handed melee weapons.
    - May not use shields.
    - May not become Proficient in any weapon styles.
    - May not wear armor or helmets.

Prime Requisites for Dual-Classing: Dexterity and Wisdom
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2017
    Ye olde iteration over items.

//build item restrictions spell
    // filters are:
    // 1) is two-handed and classified as halberd/staff/spear/greatsword
    // 2) is armor and uses an armor animation (2a, 3a or 4a)
    // 3) is a shield and uses shield animations
    // 4) is a helmet and has an animation (except wings and circlet)
    COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.itm~ ~override~ //copies all item files
    PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) BEGIN // avoid crashing on empty items
    READ_BYTE 0x18 flags1
    READ_SHORT 0x1c type
    READ_SHORT 0x22 anim
    TEXT_SPRINT res ~%SOURCE_RES%~
    PATCH_IF ((type = 2) AND ((anim = 16690) OR (anim = 16691) OR (anim = 16692)) ) BEGIN
    INNER_ACTION BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~QDMNKIR.spl~ ~override~
    LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 180 parameter1 = 9382 parameter2 = 0 target = 2 timing = 9 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~%res%~ END
    END
    END
    PATCH_IF ((flags1 BAND 0x2) AND ((type = 20) OR (type = 26) OR (type = 29) OR (type = 30)) ) BEGIN
    INNER_ACTION BEGIN
    LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR opcode = 180 parameter1 = 9382 parameter2 = 0 target = 2 timing = 9 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~%res%~ END
    END
    END
    PATCH_IF ((type = 12) AND ((anim = 12868) OR (anim = 13124) OR (anim = 13380) OR (anim = 12612) OR (anim = 12355) OR (anim = 12611) OR (anim = 12867) OR (anim = 13123) OR (anim = 13379) OR (anim = 13635) OR (anim = 13891) OR (anim = 14147)) ) BEGIN
    INNER_ACTION BEGIN
    END
    END
    PATCH_IF ((type = 7) AND ((anim != 8225) AND (anim != 16970) AND (anim != 22361) AND (anim != 22362))) BEGIN
    INNER_ACTION BEGIN
    END
    END
    END
    BUT_ONLY

I'm using a 180 applied via a clab instead of a 319 applied on weapons because there will be a rather large number of Monk kits (including a host of multiclass kits) and it's easier to add a line to a clab than add two dozen 319s to items (in my opinion).
    edited November 2017
    Having taken a step back from my Path of War induced frenzy, I return with a more reasonable approach for now. Monks will (once again) have three styles, of which they may choose only one to be active at any given time.

All Monks have access to these two:
    - Flurry of Blows: +1 APR (+2 at 10th)
    - Ki Strike: +1 to hit and damage (+2 at 5th, +3 at 9th, +4 at 13th, +5 at 17th).

Each Order offers a Monk their third style, which applies on melee attacks only:
    - [Old Order (base)] Stunning Blows: chance to stun (save vs. death negates)
    - [Sun Soul] Searing Fists: chance to cast burning hands on target.
    - [Dark Moon] Hands of Shadow: chance to blind (save vs. spell negates).
    - [Shining Hand] Unraveling Strikes: chance to dispel (save vs. spell negates).
    - [Long Death] Death's Fangs: chance to poison (save vs. death negates).
    - [Hin Fist] Precise Strikes: improved critical chance; bonus critical damage.
    - [Broken One] Guardian's Rebuke: chance to reduce attack/damage by 2 (save vs. breath negates).
    Would having both fighting styles and defense modes be too much? I want to maintain the ability of the monk to be good against certain status effects but I don't want to just throw them a bunch of random immunities.

Would having both fighting styles and defense modes be too much? I want to maintain the ability of the monk to be good against certain status effects but I don't want to just throw them a bunch of random immunities.

I think it would be cool if you had both the different orders/fighting styles, with various 'stances' that further diversify each kit.

I completely agree about random bonuses and immunities that don't seem to be tied to anything.
    Oh, another thing: personally, i really think that the monk should go the "unchained" route with full attack and higher hit points (perhaps with lower saves vs magic, which is essentially a 3e ' will save'). It's a warrior class, so it should have the skeleton of a warrior class
    edited November 2017
    @Grammarsalad , so right now I'm trying to keep my desire to go full Path of War (stances for everyone and everything and manuevers and techniques and ki powers and...) in check and keep Monks streamlined, unique, and viable alternatives to Fighters.

I don't want to have to do dialog menus for abilities if I don't have to, so I'm trying to provide each Monk with a decent set of options from the jump for both Fighting Styles and defensive modes. Defensive modes might need to be offered a bit after 1st (maybe 4th or 5th), but making low level monks less squishy wouldn't hurt either, so we'll see.

Fighting Styles
    - Flurry of Blows: +1 APR (+2 at 11th)
    - Ki Strike: +1 to melee hit and damage (+2 at 5th, +3 at 9th, +4 at 13th, +5 at 17th)
    - Stunning Blows: 25% chance on melee hit to stun (save vs. death negates). (save -1 at 7th, save -2 at 15th).
    - [Order style]: basically stunning blows but with a unique effect for each order.

Defense Modes
    - Stillness of Mind: immune to charm and fear; +4 to saves vs. spells
    - Purity of Body: immune to poison and disease; +4 to saves vs. death
    - Deflect Missiles: +4 to AC vs. ranged
    - Lightning Reflexes: evasion(?), immune to backstabs; +4 to saves vs. breath

The bonuses offered by Defense Modes could also scale (probably along with Ki Strike). Basically, at any given point, you have one offensive and one defensive buff, which you can tailor to dealing with whatever you're encountering.

EDIT: Unchained Monk BAB has already been realized :P; "[Monks have] THAC0 equal to a Fighter of the same level." I've also given Monks their canonical d8 hit die.
    I like that, but I think ki strike should be something they get seperate from a fighting style. Being able to hit creatures immune to magic weapons is essential at later levels.
    edited November 2017
    Ki Strike only offers the hit/damage bonuses now. Their fists are always treated as +5 for the purposes of damage reduction (even at level 1), but do not get the hit/damage bonus usually ascribed to +5 weapons. Other weapons they wield will have the enchantment bonus ascribed to the weapon.

The "weapons you wield are improved to be +5 weapons" would work better for the Kensai or a new kit IMO.

Ki Strike only offers the hit/damage bonuses now. Their fists are always treated as +5 for the purposes of damage reduction (even at level 1), but do not get the hit/damage bonus usually ascribed to +5 weapons. Other weapons they wield will have the enchantment bonus ascribed to the weapon.

The "weapons you wield are improved to be +5 weapons" would work better for the Kensai or a new kit IMO.

Oh, that works
    The long awaited v0.4 of Monastic Orders is now available for download on Github. See the top post of this thread for details! Thank you for everyone's continued patience.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Aquadrizzt I reckon Polish translation would need to be totally overhauled too for v0.4?
    @Cahir, almost certainly. V0.4 was written entirely from scratch. Thanks in advance!
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Aquadrizzt I see from the changelog there is still work to be done with items. So, do you think it's better to wait for you to get it finished before I start working on translation? I don't have much time for mod translation lately, so would prefer to work on fully fleshed version.
    @Cahir, the thing is, I'm not entirely sure if the items are necessary anymore.

There is an issue with implementation (e.g. I can't limit them to be usable by only a set of Monk kits without taking over a usability flag anymore or patching them to prevent use by other Thief kits) that I don't really want to address.

There is also the fact that Monks in the new version are vastly more powerful by themselves than they were in the previous version. I balanced the Monks with the understanding that they don't need even more gear on top of that. In v0.3, the intention was to basically give Monks the gear they needed to be thematic/reskinned Fighters; v0.4 is designed emphasizes a new paradigm that a reliance on gear undermines the "feel" of the Monk class, and that they should be able to stand on their own.

In v0.3 the vestments were basically just Monk armor (which they don't really need now with a combination of the Wisdom AC bonus, the base AC bonus, their defensive styles, and the ability to use Bracers of Armor) and the handwraps were just Monk weapons (which they don't really need thanks to the THAC0 improvements, fighting styles, and higher APR). To that end, I think the Monk gear in the games already should be enough to provide Monks with rewards without making them gear dependent.

(I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this matter though).
  • MagevroMagevro Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2017
    @Aquadrizzt ,
    First, real quick, I appreciate all of the mods that you put out. Been using alot of your stuff for the past few years. You and the other constant modders really make these games so much more worthwhile for a veteran of the BG series. I'm really thankful for your work.

Anyway, having some issues with this both on BG 1/2 SOD EET and IWD EE. Checked on IWD because it was easier for me to do a clean install and only test your mod. My EET is heavily modded with BWS. This is all to say I have localized it to your mod.

Monk fists are doing non-lethal damage. This is with or without stances. I wasn't able to find any fix other than to edit the character post creation and return the base class to monk(in IWD, not sure if EEKeeper will let me do that to EET), while keeping it 'kitted'. It worked to restore the damage, but I don't know what the full load of consequences for that would be. I see it loses some thief proficiencies, and gains some ..unwanted? special abilities that a monk would have(outside of your stance modals). Don't know if this alters/ruins your fist damage and +5 magic modifier either.

Also, regarding my 'fix', I really wanted to play Monk/Mage Shining Hand..doubt my fix will let me :(

Any ideas?
    There should be an "Unarmed Strike" weapon available in the first weapon slot. If not, what game did you load it into and what was the weapon in your first weapon slot?

And switching the character's class back to the original Monk class will negate any changes I have made to the system.
  • RamzaRamza Member Posts: 112
    edited December 2017
    I can confirm I am also having the above problem with monk fists doing non-lethal damage. I do have an unarmed strike weapon in the first slot, but it only does 1d2 damage according to the records page, and I only get 1 attack per round with it (2 with flurry active). Also, not sure if this is intended, but the description for the unarmed strike item is also blank.

I also note that contrary to what the description says, my monk only has the THAC0 of a rogue, not of a warrior of the same level.

Another weird thing for this mod was during the intro, when Hrothgar approaches the party in the bar, my mage/monk's sprite was changing between the monk one, and the hooded rogue sprite. This stopped immediately after the conversation was finished.

This was a fresh install with the most recent version on IWDEE, using the default monk kit, as well as the mage/monk multiclass kit. It's probably worth noting that I had to edit the .tp2 file to comment out the section about changing Rasaad, as his .cre file didn't exist and was causing the installer to error out.

I am also running rogue rebalancing, and cdtweaks.

In both games EET (with BG1,2,SOD) and IWD, there was a weapon on the character sheet(ghoul touch icon?) but nothing on the hotbar but a blank fist. 1d2 damage, non-lethal, same as any non monk unarmed character.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2017
    Well I'm not sure if its the same thing, but I made it so all slots were filled with the fist through keeper, but to no avail. I thought about the removable item thing as well, that I might fix it if I could pick it up and place it. Would implementing the toggleable monk fist as in MnG work here?

Honestly though, if I could use quarterstaffs I'd probably be satisfied. I always liked staff monks anyway :)

EDIT: Ok, so I don't have much knowledge in this area, but I edited the qdmfist.itm in DLTCEP. Changed its properties from HandtoHand to Quarterstaff, and made it moveable. Now it works, shows the correct damage in the character sheet, and appears on the hotbar.
    Post edited by Magevro on
  • Eltharion1979Eltharion1979 Member Posts: 92
    Hello all, the mod is great, I was waiting for it for a long time :-) the problem I notice recently was that this mod doesn't work together with the Shadow Magic mod. If you add this mod, then the Shadow Monk kit from the Shadow Magic mod, disappears. So you cant have the Shadow Monk as an option if you have the Monastic Orders mod.