Skip to content

What is the first thing you would do if you were a mod?

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited November 2017
    Fardragon said:

I would resign. If there is any job more thankless than being a high school teacher it's being a forum moderator.

It can be quite fun sometimes :)

But if I got a badge for every time I've been offended or threatened my badge counter would have a few pages :wink:
    kcwise
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I'd change all the smilies to winking smilies! ;)
    ThacoBellmlnevese
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited November 2017

I mean some people get really angry when they're moderated.

WHAT’S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!?!?!

All seriousness asid, I’ve been a mod on other forums. One was in the early aughts on an Apple-oriented tech site. This was when OS X first came out, and the iPod, and iTunes, etc. We got a lot of Windows trolls; and oddly enough, Linux trolls as well, since OS X uses BSD (Darwin) under the hood. Strange rmes, and interesting times, but some days it was a slog.
    Post edited by tbone1 on
    kcwise
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

They have a good point. Nobody wants a policeman watching over their shoulder.
    Of the places I've seen, the best ones were without moderation.
    FinneousPJkcwiseFlashburn
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2017
    I dunno. Read threads and make sure everyone was playing nice I guess. Make sure no one was making personal attacks or anything. Throw out promotes wherever people are being excellent to each other. That kind of thing.
    mlnevesesemiticgoddess
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited November 2017
    tbone1 said:

WHAT’S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!?!?!
    It means people react badly when they're told they need to behave better. Often because they don't see what's wrong with their behavior, or because they're all about "muh freedom of speech!" even though that doesn't apply to private sites like this one and other fora. Often they like the idea of creating a hostile environment for other posters, or they think that the other members should just grow a thicker skin and put up with their BS.
    Ardanis said:

They have a good point. Nobody wants a policeman watching over their shoulder.
    Of the places I've seen, the best ones were without moderation.
    I disagree. The best places for basically letting bullies and haters dominate discussion are places without moderation. If you want to foster a site where anyone but the most aggressive and hostile posters flourish, you need moderation.
    edited November 2017
    Basically, any given forum is someone's private space, and that someone is entitled to run that space in any manner they please. People who don't like the way it's run are welcome to go elsewhere, and that applies just as much to places like 4chan as it does to places like this. Someone who doesn't cope with moderation well may be better off finding a different forum.

I prefer moderated sites to unmoderated for the aforementioned reasons. That said I am on one forum with minimal moderation that is generally fairly respectful, but that forum has a single rule that probably helps keep things from flaring up: No politics.
    Dev6
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

The worst places I've seen are the ones without moderation, like 4chan.

Except 4chan absolutely does have moderation, they just don't have a crapload of silly rules to follow.
    It's also one of the few places on the internet where one can actually speak his mind freely without giving a damn if it "ofends" anyone. so if you can't handle it then leave, it's really that simple.
    edited November 2017
    Dev6 said:

Except 4chan absolutely does have moderation, they just don't have a crapload of silly rules to follow.
    It's also one of the few places on the internet where one can actually speak his mind freely without giving a damn if it "ofends" anyone. so if you can't handle it then leave, it's really that simple.
    That's one way to put it.

Dev6 said:

That's one way to put it.
    Rereading my post I see how it can seem more agressive than I intended.
    My point is that 4chan is supposed to be a place with few rules and it does its job perfectly.
    Obviously other places on the internet need tighter rules, though some go a bit overboard with them.

I wouldn't expect this forum, for example, to follow the 4chan formula.
    BelleSorcieremlneveselolien
    Well also I reacted more strongly to your post than I should have, and I am sorry for that.
    Dev6mlneveseBalrog99lolien
    I feel like this needs a witty punchline. Sadly, I am far too tired to bring one.
    Dev6Balrog99
    Only if my girlfriend can tag along. :tongue:
    Balrog99BelleSorciere
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Well, sharing is caring. I hope she agrees!
    Balrog99BelleSorciereDev6mlnevese
    When this topic is locked by a mod will that be irony or not? Alanis confused me with that song.
    BelleSorciereThacoBellmlnevese
    @lolien I think they are talking about another kind of mod... :wink:
    lolienkcwisedeltago[Deleted User]
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited November 2017
    mlnevese said:

@lolien I think they are talking about another kind of mod... :wink:

You mean like this one?
    mlneveseThacoBellkcwise
    kcwise said:

When this topic is locked by a mod will that be irony or not? Alanis confused me with that song.

Well I could close it... then only mods and devs would be able to post...
    lolienkcwise
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    mlnevese said:

kcwise said:

But why would you?
    mlnevesekcwise
    mlnevese said:

Well, don't TELL everyone you're doing it because of ME. Sheesh, I have enough trouble getting in to the forum picnics as it is (particularly after that whole forum familiar debacle. Who knew imps could be so much trouble? I swear I bought them from a licensed distributor!)

Anyway, It's not my fault, everyone. Nothing to see here, just carry on...
    mlneveseThacoBell
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    And you’d think i’d be invited back. I mean, I brought the ants! What’s a picnic without ants? Plus they were fire ants, so we could toast marshmallows over them.
    ThacoBellmlnevesekcwiseBalrog99
    Yeah, but did you have to bring the Giant kind? Thankfully, one of the new mods had listed "fight an army of giant fire ants" as his "first thing" so it worked out.
    mlneveseThacoBell
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Probably would of banned myself for being a dick
    LadyEibhilinRhettsemiticgoddess[Deleted User]taclane