Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    Thanks for - finally - posting @StummvonBordwehr! Lets hope you will get the chance to join soon!! ;)

You are right: Mage 3 -> Fighter was big fun on my very first try and i think that i will return to it once Xaghul has fallen as i am still not feeling in the shape for playing on with Eklun or Korgath who are both still waiting in SoA and ToB. No need to rush things. Maybe Xaghul will join them soon? We will see... :D
    histamiiniStummvonBordwehrArctodusJuliusBorisov
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,428
    edited December 2017
    So I've been reading about this Familiar business. Is it true that Familiar gets the LoB bonuses? Which would mean that with my Familiar I would get extra, (12*2+20)/2 = 22 hp, which feels like massive. Also is there any drawbacks if you keep it in your inventory, other than taking one item slot? Can you put it in the Bag of Holding? :)
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609

So I've been reading about this Familiar business. Is it true that Familiar gets the LoB bonuses? Which would mean that with my Familiar I would get extra, (12*2+20)/2 = 22 hp, which feels like massive. Also is there any drawbacks if you keep it in your inventory, other than taking one item slot? Can you put it in the Bag of Holding? :)

I have the feeling this got changed, it used to be the familiar get's LoB bonus, but on my B/M my familiar description says 12 hp and even tho I forgot to remember my exact hp before, I'm pretty sure I didn't get 20+ hp.
    histamiinisemiticgoddess
    My Beastmaster as well as my Mage->Fighter got 22 HP bonus @Victor_Creed_SFV - strange! ;)

Not to forget: You cannot put the Familiar into a Bag of Holding as its marked as "unremovable".
    histamiiniVictor_Creed_SFVArctodussemiticgoddess

My Beastmaster as well as my Mage->Fighter got 22 HP bonus @Victor_Creed_SFV - strange! ;)

Most likely didn't notice it since my hp pool was really high and I forgot to check before using it (I have 133 at max level and I think it was around 120s after using familiar)
    I think I got mostly thrown off by the familiar description saying 12 hp, I never noticed it say that before.
    edited December 2017
    Damn you can learn Find Familiar right at the beginning, which now feels like a massive mistake in my part. Well next time...

But I made a mage character to test it out, and I only got 6 hp? Addition to SCS+Ascension I only have EET (BWS) installed.

EDIT: tested it in unmodded game and you get 22 hp, damn this wont do.

EDIT2: it has to be the EET, well it's too late to change that so I'm just going to EEkeeper it in if I get that far. It's not like EET is any good for this challenge anyway.
    Post edited by histamiini on
    StummvonBordwehr
    Made progress until Davaeorn and also found a nice spot to charm and retreat:

You need to kill the guard to make it work and also looked to me like only improved invis works reliably, since normal invis triggered his prebuffs (he neither came after me nor called any guards tho).
    HarpagornishistamiiniArctodus
    It works even with Sanctuary or "normal" invisibility @Victor_Creed_SFV as long as you are fast enough - pause button is your best friend here. Its always funny to watch how his own Battle Horrors take him down! Too bad he saved nearly always in my last runs... :D
    Victor_Creed_SFVhistamiini

It works even with Sanctuary or "normal" invisibility @Victor_Creed_SFV as long as you are fast enough - pause button is your best friend here. Its always funny to watch how his own Battle Horrors take him down! Too bad he saved nearly always in my last runs... :D

I guess I managed to mistime it the one time I tested normal invis. :D
    Saving on his part doesn't matter too much if you killed the guard, at least for me with invis, since I can just invisibly rest next to the door and when guards spawn you just run out the door rest outside and come back.
    (I feel like when you're close enough to the edge of the map or another area transition, enemies will rarely spawn on rest, but I couldn't really find out vs Dava, since he failed his save 3rd try.)
    edited December 2017
    Speaking of charming, I'm thinking advancing the main quest, and I remember you @Harpagornis feeding the Greywolf to the Kobbos. But what do you do in case that the charm doesn't work, is there some failsafe?
    Victor_Creed_SFV
    edited December 2017
    KITE HIM DOWN @histamiini! And run like a chicken. Not your style? Then summons should do the job! ;)

Or retreat-rest for another attempt... :D

P.S. Blind also works even though he will run around like crazy
    histamiiniVictor_Creed_SFVArctodus
    If you're hasted you can pull Greywolf towards the mines entrance, where the guards will attack him.
    It's kinda finnicky, since he's also hasted, another thing i once did, was go invis, wait out his haste, then pull him to the mine entrance, kite him while the guards also help your dps.
    histamiini
    That haste waiting and luring is just my style so I'll probably try that, WoMS if something goes wrong.
    Victor_Creed_SFVArctodus
    edited December 2017
    Ouch @histamiini! Getting trapped is a real nightmare. I remember something similar happening with Phase Spiders porting around me out of nowhere. Shortly after they feeded upon my corpse. :D

I think one should look at this like a chess game where you got outplayed. You learn much more from losing than winning. Here its learning by dying. Yeah, its painful - but - this one wont happen again. No? ;)

P.S. I ALWAYS buy the Sandthief Ring before going in there!! ;)
    histamiiniStummvonBordwehrVictor_Creed_SFVJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2017
    @Arctodus I was cheaping out because that Sandthief ring is like 17k, but lesson learnt. I also play chess so I know what you mean @Harpagornis

And another valuable lesson is to have somekind of armor on. :D Well I'm sure Two will do a perfect job. :*

StummvonBordwehrGrond0Victor_Creed_SFVJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2017
    Yeah, the Sandthief Ring is expensive. But with CHA 20+ and Reputation 20 you can lower its cost to 11725 gold. Should be doable! ;)

However: Good luck with your next run! ;)

Xaghul is ready for Bridgefort and the temple but i feel too tired. Looks like he has to wait until tomorrow... DAMN! :D
    histamiiniGrond0Victor_Creed_SFVJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2017
    Looks fine @histamiini - will be helpful for any F/M/T aspirant! ;)

Yeah, i agree with you that taking over items from BG1 or SoD into BG2 does not feel right even though Martyrs Morningstar alone is a big temptation. But: No, no! :D

Need some rest before Xaghul can crush through SoD.... zzzzzz....

He only needs Martyrs Morningstar and The Hydra Flail for some really big dual-headbanging. The Crusader Attacks should be big fun with this setup. Hopefully! :D

The only problem will be: Which weapon to use against Big B? Sundermaul +3 would be perfect but is out of reach. This leaves open only Quarterstaff +3 or the Club +3. Or Martyrs Morningstar. Have i missed one? ;)

Tanking Big B hoping for Crits from Martyrs Morningstar could be a real thriller. Will it be 40 attacks only? Or 70? Maybe even 100? :D

Time for some sleeping... Good Night, Good Luck! ;)
    histamiiniGrond0Victor_Creed_SFVJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2017
    Rolled Two, the elf fighter/mage/thief no-reload.

One minute in and Two is already a massive improvement from One. Didn't loot mistake Candlekeep, Find Familiar tripled the hp to over 30, and Pick Pocket 60 got me the Algernon's Cloak straight away. Been doing collection/xp run slightly different order this time, after getting the Ankheg Plate I went straight to Drizzt, that way I got 5k money to spend from the get go.
    ArctodusAerakarStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2017

The only problem will be: Which weapon to use against Big B? Sundermaul +3 would be perfect but is out of reach. This leaves open only Quarterstaff +3 or the Club +3. Or Martyrs Morningstar. Have i missed one? ;)

Tanking Big B hoping for Crits from Martyrs Morningstar could be a real thriller. Will it be 40 attacks only? Or 70? Maybe even 100? :D

Btw isn't Martyr +2 weapon, or does that ability add to main hand weapon also? I calculated that my F/M/T will have +5 Thac0 compared to my Cavalier vs. Bel, because I have to use Kiel's Helmet, Fighter level is one below and no Cavalier bonus vs. demons. So I'll be suffering against him also longer. Luckily the Familiar makes the hp difference smaller.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Yup. Enchanted Weapon will be mandatory in 2.5 if you want to use it against Belhifet.

It's just as well, really. We've seen before that relying on critical hits alone to nail Belhifet, while possible, is simply not reliable in a no-reload context. It's entirely possible to go for many rounds without landing a critical hit, and any delay gives Belhifet time to regenerate.
    HarpagornisArctodushistamiiniJuliusBorisov