Skip to content

Your Greatest Facepalm Moment?

Comments

• Abby_ZeroAbby_Zero Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2017
    Saving Samuel on a ‘leave no quest entry undone (except for A Farmer’s Troubles, Troubles in the Region, unattainable like Gurke’s Boots, etc) campaign’ pretty early on then finding the Flaming Fist Guard looking for Samuel after I cleared like 30 hours of quests since I saved the game before bringing him to Gellana. Thankfully in 2017 as opposed to 1998 I had the ‘net to help and I found out I could turn Samuel the Deserter grey without basically restarting! So it had a happy-unfacepalming ending.

Not for Gellana Moonshade though.

PS I totally remember this encounter from back in the day. Once I saw Samuel the Deserter I was like ‘Oh $#*+’ lol
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm curious why people keep mentioning some kind of protection from 1 hit kills. 90% of my deaths in the series are from being one-shotted by either bears, xvarts, or that darn ogre as soon as I step outside candlekeep. I rarely take damage, its just "whoops got one hit again".
    tbone1OrlonKronsteenirving15Proont
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    ThacoBell, there is protection from getting killed in one hit if you are both:
    - level 1
    - uninjured

So, if you progress to level 2 or have even one hit point less than max, you can be one shotted. That's what happened to me (I had 9/10 hp). I'm not sure about other Infinity Engine games, but in BG1 it should be working. At around the same time I had Montaron getting smashed by the belt fetish ogre and he survived with 1 hp left, as a result of that "level 1 + max hp" protection.

And yes, Gallenger, it seems that there comes a time in a man's life when he has to be humbled by a gibberling :+D.
    LoldrupMirandelGoturalSxphxrxth
  • ArnebArneb Member Posts: 14
    Where do you get the idea of that one-hit protection? I had plenty of level 1 mages and thieves with full hp one-shotted by a random crit.
    It is maybe a thing of the EE?

By the way, sorry for being OT.
    edited November 2017
    Level 1 every time. I don't usually hit level two until clearing the FAI. I stay at max health too. I go from full health to dead in 1 hit.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited November 2017
    In the original version I got killed several times trying to equip arrows/potions on the inventory screen while the enemies were still shooting off attacks. This was particularly a problem back then because high arrow and potion stacks weren't things.

In my first playthrough, ever, I got ambushed by half ogres on the way to the Friendly Arm Inn and was swiftly stomped. Then get to Tarnesh and get stomped. Then give up the game for a year or three because my teen self deemed it too difficult.
    AerakarMivsanirving15Proont
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    edited November 2017
    Finishing up the topic of the one-hit kill protection - I remember I've found info about it in the "Did you know?" threads where some players edited their characters to test the idea out. They had characters with only 1/1 hp as a max and found out that they were virtually immune to physical damage that way. However, there were some exceptions and sources of damage (like spells, if I remember correctly) that would still kill that kind of character. Forgive me for the lack of details but I've read those a long time ago and that linked thread has over 100 pages now. The info is there, however, if anyone's interested!
    Gallenger said:

I still kinda miss the ability to have the game be live in the inventory screen because whenever a party member gets held/stunned etc I instinctively turn to playing inventory tetris after the fight, only to realize that with EE the game pauses lol.

That's one cool thing about Icewind Dale 2 - you can sort your inventory when your party is walking through town, etc., but can still have the option to have the inventory paused when in combat, for example.

I miss the BG1 mandatory unpause in the inventory because that gave the quickslots and weapon slots value. You also had to make decisions whether you wanted to equip an item with a spell/ability or one with some permanent boosts. In the EE you can of course always swap in the item with a spell for a second, use the spell and then equip the permanent boost item back. In BG1 you had to be prepared with antidotes, ammo and other quick slot items so that you wouldn't be caught off-guard in certain situations, having to quickly go through your inventory when the battle raged on.
    Post edited by Mivsan on
    UnderstandMouseMagicMontresor_SPGotural
    I've read about the "level 1 protection" in other threads. It has never worked for me. I'm typically only level 1 for the first two maps before FAI. That means gibberlings, bears, wolves, that ogre. No spell damage. Only being one shot by a standard bear or ogre attack or a gibberling crit.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    ThacoBell said:

I've read about the "level 1 protection" in other threads. It has never worked for me. I'm typically only level 1 for the first two maps before FAI. That means gibberlings, bears, wolves, that ogre. No spell damage. Only being one shot by a standard bear or ogre attack or a gibberling crit.

Maybe it only works for npc's and not the player character?
    @BelgarathMTH I dunno, if so, that contradicts existing information on this forum.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited November 2017
    When I "upgraded" to version 2.0 on the PC unintentionally and found that the very thing I had invested in the EE on several platforms for was broken: platform mobility. For the Android version stayed at 1.3, and these were/are not compatible.
    Loldrup
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

When I "upgraded" to version 2.0 on the PC unintentionally and found that the very thing I had invested in the EE on several platforms for was broken: platform mobility. For the Android version stayed at 1.3, and these were/are not compatible.

well if you got the PC version on steam you can still go back to 1.3 :)
    Loldrup
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331

well if you got the PC version on steam you can still go back to 1.3 :)

And that's another thing, let's just say I don't have Steam and don't want Steam, so that's no option. I bought the game directly from Beamdog because I wanted to support them, but didn't get the support I expected in return. I still don't hate Beamdog for this at any rate, though some I've discussed this with previously seem to think so.
    But let it just rest.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

ThacoBell said:

Maybe it only works for npc's and not the player character?
    it's actually a game engine thing, i believe if you are uninjured and have 12 HP or less you cannot die in one hit from physical damage ( xzar is a perfect candidate to test this with ) although some baddies can over ride this rule for some bizarre reason, like the ogre wearing the cursed belt in the area under the FAI
    StummvonBordwehrlolien