Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Midlife Crisis United! :D
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    MCU=Marvel Cinematic Universe
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Eh, close enough. :p
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Can’t stand sushi. My wife and kids love it, but them they have never gutted and cleaned fish.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @tbone1 Let me give a recent example of how my wife still isn't convinced I don't like sushi after 20 years of me telling her I don't like it.

A few week ago we went to a shopping while the children were in day care. Now as anyone who has children knows it's a rare thing to be able to go out without them while they are too young so, even if we had just gone to the shopping to buy some stuff we were needing I was enjoying the opportunity.

Around lunch time we went to the restaurant area of the shopping and while we were deciding where we wanted to eat she met some of her coworkers who were, of course, going to a sushi place. She dragged me there...

To shorten the story I paid enough for my meal to cover my expanses and hers in any other restaurant and ate nearly nothing.

She was still surprised I basically didn't eat anything... As soon as she went back to work I doubled back and went to some other place to actually have lunch.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Fun fact: Sushi rarely contains raw fish. When it does contain fish it's usually smoked or cooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMAwtf2LUvE

I like cold rice, I love cold fish (especially salmon and smoked trout), I love seawheat (especially in soup).
    I did gut a fish before (that is in fact one of my oldest memories).
    I love sushi.

Though when it comes to Japanese food I prefer ramen (the legit stuff, not the instant block noodles from the supermarket; though I like those as well).
    @Buttercheese As long as you don't attempt to drag me to a sushi place when I'm around your corner of the world, I can accept you like the stuff :wink:
    @Buttercheese Last month we ate at a ramen restaurant that just opened her and it was darn good. But then the food was cooked and not raw
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Dogs. Just don't get why people want slobbering, barking, non-waste material burying, 'eat just about anything whether or not it's poisonous to them and won't stop eating until it's ALL gone and they're sick' animals as pets. They're sycophantic as well (which I think is part of the draw for some people).
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Balrog99 said:

Dogs. Just don't get why people want slobbering, barking, non-waste material burying, 'eat just about anything whether or not it's poisonous to them and won't stop eating until it's ALL gone and they're sick' animals as pets. They're sycophantic as well (which I think is part of the draw for some people).

You've just drscribed humans. Except for the barking part, but some of us do.
    DJKajuru said:

Balrog99 said:

You've just drscribed humans. Except for the barking part, but some of us do.
    Touche'. That's probably why I prefer cats to dogs or humans!
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I don't trust cats. You can always trust your dog. Cats are always operating on their own agenda.

I don't trust cats. You can always trust your dog. Cats are always operating on their own agenda.

That's why I love them. They remind me of myself! B)
    Balrog99 said:

We fostered dogs before I got sick. You can bring a dog into your house, saving it from possible death, give it food and water and security and a warm bed. It will be forever grateful and a friend. Unlike a human.
    tbone1 said:

Balrog99 said:

We fostered dogs before I got sick. You can bring a dog into your house, saving it from possible death, give it food and water and security and a warm bed. It will be forever grateful and a friend. Unlike a human.
    What, a dog won't slit your throat while you're sleeping to get your jewelry? That's only because they're not smart enough. The cat box is too much of a distraction!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If the critics are any indication the new Star Wars movie. Apparently its getting good reviews, and while I will admit there were solid parts to it there was also a lot of cringy moments and lame humour. Enough that I wouldn't recommend it.

(movie spoiler below)

When Leia goes all space Mary Poppins I cringed. Its definitely in the competition for the cringiest thing I've seen in a Star Wars movie.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited December 2017
    elminster said:

If the critics are any indication the new Star Wars movie. Apparently its getting good reviews, and while I will admit there were solid parts to it there was also a lot of cringy moments and lame humour. Enough that I wouldn't recommend it.

(movie spoiler below)

When Leia goes all space Mary Poppins I cringed. Its definitely in the competition for the cringiest thing I've seen in a Star Wars movie.
    Luckily, The Daily Mash has posted a guide on how to deal with this, or any, film:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/how-to-avoid-star-wars-spoilers-by-being-a-grown-up-and-caring-about-grown-up-things-instead-20171214141014

:):)
  • dreamtravelerdreamtraveler Member Posts: 377
    Star Wars
    Star Trek
    Reality Shows
    Comedies
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2017

elminster said:

(movie spoiler below)

Luckily, The Daily Mash has posted a guide on how to deal with this, or any, film:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/how-to-avoid-star-wars-spoilers-by-being-a-grown-up-and-caring-about-grown-up-things-instead-20171214141014

:):)
    Yea that website sucks at satire. The article just comes across as being more of a rant than satirical rant. I think they could have done a lot better with it.

So I guess add that website to the list of things I don't like too :)
    Post edited by elminster on
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Films and TV programs that are just too dark (as in not much light, rather than bleak).

I end up straining my eyes and missing things, and if it's on TV I turn up the brightness and the whole thing ends up looking ridiculous - but at least I can see whats going on!

When did filming everything in the dark become a thing? Surely one of the basic pre-requisites of a good film or television program is that you can see the thing!

And if I deign to complain, my beloved family tell me I'm imagining it and they don't have this problem and it's only me and I should stop interrupting because it's a good bit, and I'm like, where? Where's the good bit? How can you tell? I can't see anything, because its so damn dark!

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I don't think anybody likes not being able to see what's going on on the screen.

I don't think anybody likes not being able to see what's going on on the screen.

If it's well done in a terror movie it can be quite effective... you can count on your fingers how many times it was well done, though... And you'll have fingers to spare, probably :)
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Blair Witch Project did an excellent job with this. We see a good bit of the film through the cameras of the actors, sometimes using black and white and narrow frames of view. Much is in total darkness as well where we rely on hearing and imagination alone. Some shots very fleeting as well, just a snippit to engage our imagination even more. To top all that off we never get to see the 'bad folk'. This film also played into the greatest fear, that of the unknown, in a style that was not mainstream at the time.

I can remember thinking as I watched it: "Turn on the dang light, get another shot of that, pan the camera a little more round there, slow down, quit shaking the camera". All added to their idea of fostering the portrayal of an actual event with history behind it to make it seem that much more real.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I think the "show don't tell" only truely works in print. Its a medium that almost entirely relies on the imagination, so giving just enough to go hog wild works amazingly well (i.e. Lovecraft). Movies have always been a visual medium. You need to be able to communicate visually.
    BGLover said:

Films and TV programs that are just too dark (as in not much light, rather than bleak).

I end up straining my eyes and missing things, and if it's on TV I turn up the brightness and the whole thing ends up looking ridiculous - but at least I can see whats going on!

When did filming everything in the dark become a thing? Surely one of the basic pre-requisites of a good film or television program is that you can see the thing!

And if I deign to complain, my beloved family tell me I'm imagining it and they don't have this problem and it's only me and I should stop interrupting because it's a good bit, and I'm like, where? Where's the good bit? How can you tell? I can't see anything, because its so damn dark!

This.

I really enjoy the Walking Dead but the Season 8 mid-season finale was filmed in exactly the way you're describing. I couldn't stand an hour and a half of that. It gave me eyestrain and a headache!