Skip to content

Post something that everyone likes but you

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Reality fillter on nostalgia googles people are having.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Anime art style, i especially hate when westerners take western cartoons like gravity falls which have a fun and interesting design to it and anime it, than claim it would be better if it was made that way.

No -beep-, anime art 90% of the time is generic as -beep-. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact people praise it as the greatest art style ever.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Zaghoul said:

Late spring and summer. Too much light. I always preferred late fall and winter. Gets dark sooner and is cooler. Something about longer nights and it getting dark earlier is just soothing, always has been. Well that and the rich spicy scent of the leaves after they have all fallen. The 'leaf peepers' have left the mountains as well, so less traffic on the roads.

I love fall and winter as well, at least until the latter gets all February onus, but I'm from southern Indiana and May is awesome. The Kentucky Derby gives us our first day of racing, then we get a month of activity in a small town on the west side of Indianapolis called Speedway. Not only are qualifications and the race great, but the drivers are as accessible as any pro athletes anywhere. Heck, even Fernando Alonso has embraced it and says F1 needs to do more with the fans. Seriously, if you get a chance, go, because there is nothing like watching 230 MpH racing with 350,000 of your closest friends.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @tbone Lawd, down here in NC NASCAR country, folks go CAR-RAZY over the races. I never new how steep the turns were on the big tracks til my uncle workin at Daytona took us out. My lil company got invited to the Richard Petty Experience bt a supplier, unfortunately only my dad and brother had the time to go. I believe they got up close to 150mph or @ there, before they were slowed down.

I heard last weekend on a radio show near me 'Hot Rods n Happy Hour', that tracks were have to remove thousands of seats at some places to make the stands look fuller. Probably not at Indy though Ill bet.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2017
    Zaghoul said:

Late spring and summer. Too much light. I always preferred late fall and winter. Gets dark sooner and is cooler. Something about longer nights and it getting dark earlier is just soothing, always has been. Well that and the rich spicy scent of the leaves after they have all fallen. The 'leaf peepers' have left the mountains as well, so less traffic on the roads.

I used to like winter until a couple of years back. My city got hit by a really bad ice storm and I didn't have power (in the middle of winter) for about 5 days. Despite burning wood in the fireplace our house got to about 4 degrees by the time power was restored. So I've pretty much have had enough of winter for the next decade. :)
    @elminster I think I did that once, in an apartment years ago, no power and snowed in for 3 or 4 days with NO fireplace. Strange when you can see your breath INSIDE the house, hehheh. My last snow in on the top of the mountains here was for about 2wks almost, but we kept power, fire, AND internet. Lawd, without that I might a been crawling the walls.

I probably could have made it DOWN the mountain, but not in the fashion I would have liked. Ida been doin a 'Thelma & Louise' right off a cliff I think. :*:)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Zaghoul said:

I heard last weekend on a radio show near me 'Hot Rods n Happy Hour', that tracks were have to remove thousands of seats at some places to make the stands look fuller. Probably not at Indy though Ill bet.

Tracks overexpanded during the NASCAR boom, so they have been removing seats for nearly a decade. And ndy is Indy, though. They did remove some seats from the Turn 1 infield to add turns for Formula 1, which were used by Moto GP and now the Indycar Gran Prix. However, Indycar is growing now, and 2016 was the 100,000th Indy 500 and was the first time they sold out. They don't release attendance figures, but they did say the paid attendance wa more than the populations of Fort Wayne and South Bend combined. That's over 350,000.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Formula 1. I understand why ppl find it intriguing, but I just find it boring. I find pretty much all motor sports boring to be frank, but F1 last the longest :P
    @tbone1 Ahh, that explains it then. One can't help hearing about growin up in the south. Heck, I grew up in the same backwoods county as Richard Petty.

@skatan I am not much of a fan myself, but, I do, morbidly enough, like to see highlights of the crashes. That sport takes guts.
    While it's not like I dislike or disrespect that person, because he was awesome and inspiring to many (and may he rest in peace), but... Bob Ross. Many people find him very positive and inspiring, but when I watch his "Joys of Painting" series while not believing how can he create something with that level of quality and with little to no effort... I feel really bad.

Bob says painting (or art in general) is "easy", but when you struggle with something and hear it's "easy", it's kinda discouraging.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    O_Bruce said:

While it's not like I dislike or disrespect that person, because he was awesome and inspiring to many (and may he rest in peace), but... Bob Ross. Many people find him very positive and inspiring, but when I watch his "Joys of Painting" series while not believing how can he create something with that level of quality and with little to no effort... I feel really bad.

Bob says painting (or art in general) is "easy", but when you struggle with something and hear it's "easy", it's kinda discouraging.

I think the point he was making was about not being too critical of yourself.
    O_Bruce said:

Bob Ross is still one of my favorites in 'Epic Rap Battles in History'. Well, his and the Mr Rodgers one, hehheh. :)

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I think Bob Ross was mostly on TV to help people relax, since there is nothing remotely engaging or stressful on those shows. If you aren't looking to actually try replicate what he's doing, it is pretty great for just completely unplugging.
    Star Wars Rogue One. It just didn't engage me at all and the whole "this is the greatest SW movie to date" doesn't agree with me.

*Skatan: Hardiness*
    *Skatan: Defensive stance*
    @skatan I have not seen that yet but if it is no better than the one before it, which seemed like a knock off of the '77 film, I wouldn't blame ya. B)
    Its okay, Disney Star Wars is non canon anyway ;)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @tbone1 Just say that any Star Wars ship has enough firepower to destroy the Enterprise if you actually want to be attacked by mad raving people :)
    Almost as good, talk about Star Trek but try to pass it off as Star Wars EU. Pure gold.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    mlnevese said:

@tbone1 Just say that any Star Wars ship has enough firepower to destroy the Enterprise if you actually want to be attacked by mad raving people :)

Hah, Honor Harrington and 8th Fleet can kick both their asses.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Multiplayer.
    After a major beatdown in the S&S thread, I'm gonna have to say; putting pips in S&S style, hehe :smiley:
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    O_Bruce said:

This is very, VERY, colloquial but there are children in my class who cannot do art because if they feel they have drawn one line incorrectly, they scrunch it up and rage. The kids who can't draw a cow without giving it six legs and colouring it blue end up being recognised by the rest of the class as the best artists... They don't care, because they don't care they find it easy... But still, at the end, when they want recognition (as we all do when we complete work, whether it is the dishes or a humanitarian aid mission) they hold up the work and everyone applauds (including me... It's like group sub concious brainwashing, any old tat can be considered art if you just hold it up and await the applause.)

I suppose another way of saying it. If you can complete a piece of art and let other people judge it then you will get the love!

Also in my experience, I find with everything, not just art, you have to be really, REALLY good for someone to notice your work and take the time to slag it off....
    Anduin said:

This is very, VERY, colloquial but there are children in my class who cannot do art because if they feel they have drawn one line incorrectly, they scrunch it up and rage. The kids who can't draw a cow without giving it six legs and colouring it blue end up being recognised by the rest of the class as the best artists... They don't care, because they don't care they find it easy... But still, at the end, when they want recognition (as we all do when we complete work, whether it is the dishes or a humanitarian aid mission) they hold up the work and everyone applauds (including me... It's like group sub concious brainwashing, any old tat can be considered art if you just hold it up and await the applause.)

I suppose another way of saying it. If you can complete a piece of art and let other people judge it then you will get the love!

Also in my experience, I find with everything, not just art, you have to be really, REALLY good for someone to notice your work and take the time to slag it off....

I may have some ideas what you want to convey, but I don't want to stop at my speculations, so I'll ask directly: what do you want to tell me? Your analogy has little to do with what I expressed. And I think it supposed to have something in common, since you responded to me.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I feel you are being to hard on yourself... You ARE a brilliant artist. Possibly because you agonise over your work, yet still send it out into the world for other people to judge it.

Bob Ross probably didn't agonise over his work. Is he the artist that kept saying "happy little mistakes." ?

He most probably did care about his art... But did it more for fun and did not get put off by anyone critiquing it... Especially by himself... This is why he found it easy. No comeback. No judgement and self-incrimination. Just art.

I write things too late at night. I will check my writing for more clarity. I hope this makes sense...

Oh... and... The thing everyone likes but you.

Clarity.

Why does everything be black and white? Take your own meaning from things.
    Thanks for responding. So, it was "you're too hard on yourself" variant, after all.

About me being too hard on myself, no worries. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be years ago. Thought the point of my first post was less about me being hard on myself, but rather stating that my reaction to Ross' videos is totally different to most people.

I also appreciate you sharing some thought on "clarification". Funny, since my actual job kinda requires me to clarify things, as often I have to make brief interviews with people, and write down what I learn later.

But, in some areas of life, as art (any kind of art), clarification is not always needed. I can agree on that.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited June 2017
    Probably the MCU at large for the time being. I haven't even seen everything, but overall I feel the journey to the infinity war isn't all that exciting anymore. Thanos has sat on his ass for too long now and it's gotten stale...With just BARELY having a few second cameos in post credits scene here and there. I wonder if the wait for any of this will have been worth it, once Infinity War finally comes...I feel they made Thanos too ''exclusive'' and they don't have any other villain to complement him other than Loki I guess? I've only seen the first thor film though.

Oh I'm quite sure it will be a smashing box office success, but that doesn't really mean anything to me at the moment.

Also I think the Netflix series should have been set in a separate continuity from the MCU. I just hope The defenders will be decent at least>_>
    Post edited by batoor on
    I have no idea what MCU is.. something with Marvel?