Skip to content

The Candlekeep Library: Neera the Wild Mage

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    I think there is a golden opportunity with a Wild Mage--just the class itself--to generate party banter about the unexpected results of the character's wild surge spellcastings. So I'm really hoping that the devs capitalized on this, and we'll at least see some good one-liners from other NPCs as such.

As far as the concept for her character goes, it seems okay to me. I think an emphasis on her feelings about miscast spells should work toward making CHRANAME want to keep her around, at least when the PC is a prosocial type. Because as some here have noted, as dangerous as combat is in this world, from a strictly pragmatic standpoint a Wild Mage is probably not someone you would actually want to have along, For this reason I think the devs almost have to make her as vulnerable, endearing, and emotionally relatable as possible. I.e., to make us care about her personally.

But yeah, @tillly the convention there does seem to be 'zany madcap with heart of gold' (Minsc is this also). It'll all boil down to whether it's a fresh a realization of it, or a stale one.

And I'm hoping that in general there will be more banters in EE, as that is one of the original game's deficits in comparison with BG2. The new NPCs should provide the opportunity for new banters from old NPCs.
  • GrayvieGrayvie Member Posts: 49
    Hey guys... Just wanted to ask some questions.
    First: I'm pretty sure there is a typo in the text 'Pollae eyed Moth. "Howcre you feeling?" '. I think it's supposed to be 'how're you feeling'. Hope somebody fixes it (or informs me if it's legitimate word =)).

Second: I'm not familiar with D'n'D creatures but aren't atomies, fairies and centaurs all creatures from 3ed rules? I think they are not supposed to be present in story set in 2ed.
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    @Grayvie Thanks for pointing that out. I imagine @PhillipDaigle will fix that next time he sees the forum.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Jalily said:

Exactly what @tilly said...except...Shar-Teel is not a feminist. *shudder* She's a plain old misandrist, a female chauvinist pig if you will. Please don't take her as an accurate representation of people who support political and social equality between the sexes.

Anyway, as that list shows, even characters who seem cliche when summarized can be very entertaining in action. Can't wait for November. :)

Yay, you said my favorite NPC's name! :D!

What about Kagain? He's grumpy and likes gold, like dwarves, but he's more amoral about the latter than most other dwarves would ever get.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    she sounds like 13-15 years old. Lol, fitting for a romance option.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I think she sounds a little older than that, lol. 20 sounds about right.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I still wonder how she could fit into the party of the Bhaalspawn, though. I mean, the adventures of the Bhaalspawn (main PC) require reliable and trustworthy party members, knowing all of the dangers ahead. Will Neera be capable enough, not only magically, but also mentally? I also fundamentally disagree with Neera's opinion that magic doesn't require study. To me, she appears as someone who's too lazy to actually study and develop her potential fully, which is a pity. Anyone can wield a sword, but magic...That's a different story.
  • LaflammeLaflamme Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2012

[…] the adventures of the Bhaalspawn (main PC) require reliable and trustworthy party members […]

Yeah, such as Jan the mythomaniac, Khalid the coward, Minsc the berserker, Tiax the megalomaniac, Xzar the delirious… and let's not speak of Yoshimo… ;)
  • HaggardBlazeHaggardBlaze Member Posts: 53
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

cause a mentally handicapped man who talks to his hamster would be the most reliable party member ever...................
    Yeah ok, maybe you guys got a point. It's just that Neera reminds me of a typical female American teenager who seeks to be accepted among people. After Hannah Montana and all of those other shows it's getting a bit tiresome.
    @mlnevese: I never really got into the D&D rules books and such, so that's probably my ignorance being at fault. Yet I'd see an unpredictable spell as a waste of a spell slot. I like to know what I'm firing off afterall. It's a pity since it makes Wild Mages so special I guess.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Just wait until you hear the duergar.

The german duergar.

Whoa wait what?
  • ArveragusArveragus Member Posts: 62
    Should be an amusing variation on the usual party selection. There is definite scope for banter given the lack of predictability.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited September 2012
    Quartz said:

The german duergar.

Whoa wait what?
    Sie sind die Bösen Zwerge!
    @mlnevese: Thank you for the explanation! :) Wild magic sure sounds more interesting now. A pity we never really got to see the spells you mentioned...It would have been interesting to try them out. Mind you, it's not like I'm throwing Neera aside as a character. I am interested in seeing her back story and dialogues in-game. It's just that my initial impression wasn't all too positive, I guess. :p
    Quartz said:

The german duergar.

Whoa wait what?
    I'm guessing duergar => underdark => black pits.

So... can someone enlighten me about the 3ed creatures? Where they like some sort of add-on? (coveringg areas not covered in 2ed rule books) I'm pretty sure some creatures where simply rewritten in 3ed... Does that mean that BG:EE will combine some things from later rules' editions or was it just Dave's goof since he is too used to writing books set in a more modern timeline? =) (I'm not a D'n'D know-it-all so don't bash me too hard =)))
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    @mlnevese Your post was very interesting and it shows perfectly the discrepancy between what a Wild Mage should be and what Neera appears to be.

Exhibit 1: Wild Mages - "Some extremely intelligent mages, studying this effects discovered a way of accessing raw magcal energies, bypassing the formalism of the Weave. It was hard and took years of study." "And finally to answer your question, a wild mage had to know and dominate everything a normal mage knew plus the magical equivalent of advanced quantum theory. Just in his case the theory could kill him if he misunderstood or lost his concentration."
    Exhibit 2: Sorcerers - who are known to have access to the Weave without magical study (through means of their own, descendency from dragons, etc) and often use their magical power in flashy displays. Also, (and this might not be agreed upon since it's a more recent interpretation) it can be believed that some sorcerers draw their power from wild magic.
    Exhibit 3: Neera -
    "When Neera had first applied, she impressed the centaur by demonstrating great natural potential, but none of his discipline."
    "The way Neera saw it, either you could dance or you couldn't. Likewise, either you were a mage or you weren't, and no amount of studying would change that."
    "Focus, visualize the runes you studied."
    That would be much more help if she had actually studied, Neera thought."
    "She hastened through the gestures to call up an image of a fiery gnome above her palms. She felt the arcane energies respond to her will as much as to her gestures. This was more like it-the natural evocation of magic from its very source, not the careful teasing out of its threads for a spell practiced by thousands of other casters over the centuries."

Comparing your examples to the story, Neera sounds more like an un-disciplined sorceress than a mage.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited September 2012
    @neleothesze That was his point, see the last post he made before the one you responded to.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    @Jalily So it seems :> Well, it never hurt to emphasize a point :D
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really like the idea of a wild mage NPC. But if that's how she acts in game, I'll mod her into a sorcerer after the first playthrough.

Also I'd really like to see more wild magic spells implemented. spells like there/not there and spellfire, for instance, would be really great to use. The more advanced wild surge control they had in P&P as well.
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    @Grayvie Two things to keep in mind: Many creatures that don't appear in Baldur's Gate already existed in the Realms at the time of the game's release, and when new creatures appear in later editions of D&D, the lore typically indicates that they've been there all along--they didn't suddenly appear.

So while I was aware that these particular fey didn't appear in Baldur's Gate, I didn't hesitate to mention them in the story, and Wizards' didn't bat an eye while approving it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    mlnevese said:

I really like the idea of a wild mage NPC. But if that's how she acts in game, I'll mod her into a sorcerer after the first playthrough.

This is interesting. This is very interesting.

Because one of the things about sorcerers is supposedly that they spend their early development trying to learn to control their magic.

It would be an interesting development if Neera could somehow break with tradition (even more than usual) and come into BG2 as a multiclass wild mage/sorcerer. What do you think, @Dave?

...Yes, I know..."Go sit in the corner"....
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wild_magic

Neera and some others are simply two-legged wild magic zones.
    Wild magic was discovered by mages studying wild magic zones...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Oh! Or maybe she could be retrofitted as a sorcerer with wild surges!

THAT would be interesting.
    I actually like this idea... a wild sorcerer :)

The wild mages would love to study her... if Nahal hadn't been destroyed in a wild vortex or was it Hornung? Never remember that :)
    @Dave:
    Ok, thank you for clearing that up for me and thank you for your great writing.
    Can't wait to read Dorn's story (more so if it involves the betrayal and him setting off for revenge).