Skip to content

Why not adding a bag of holding to BG1 and save our efforts from importing one from EEKeeper?

kingnightkingnight Member Posts: 54
edited February 2018 in The 2.5 Update Beta
I'm bearing this too long and I have to write it down tonight, I think it's serious time to add a few more containers to the game. I'm doing statistics of my time of playing, and I found out I have spent much more time sorting my loots than just killing and exploring in some levels. It's really bad to travel around to just sell and clear your items, it isn't worth my time. Methinks at least a bag of hoding, an ammo belt and one more scroll case should be added to the game. Dose any one support my view?
Post edited by CamDawg on
LoldrupStummvonBordwehrlost1

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @kingnight
    1. You can achieve this pretty easily through mods without the need for EEKeeper
    2. If you are going to so harshly criticize the game, please make sure that your criticism has less spelling errors first.
    3. Even with a Bag of Holding you are likely going to spend more time sorting your loot than doing a lot of the other things in the game, it's just how these games work.
    4. One Scroll Case has always been plenty for me. Even when I hoard all my scrolls
    5. If you think that the sorting is bad now, you should have tried sorting in the original vanilla game when stacking was a lot more difficult.
    ThacoBelltbone1
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I just recruit Neera, 'borrow' her BoH and then remove her from the party. Is this no longer possible in 2.5?
  • kingnightkingnight Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2017
    @ZaramMaldovar
    First, maintaining team is currently working on their new release, and they are gathering feedbacks, I just present my ideals for their future review. How did I speak out my opinions became a "I am going to HARSHLY CRITICIZE the game"? Didn't think you that you are overreacting?

Second, of course you can criticize my spelling errors, because I'm telling you that I'm not a English native, are you satisfy now?
    Post edited by kingnight on
    [Deleted User]
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    I think it could be nice to have the containers in game somewhere. You could create a ticket on Redmine to add that as a new feature. Can't hurt to make the suggestion.
    ProontLoldrupStummvonBordwehr
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    There isn't so much loot in BG1 that its difficult to sort and maintain. If BG1 is giving you problems without a BOH, then it will give you problems with a BOH.

I think it could be nice to have the containers in game somewhere. You could create a ticket on Redmine to add that as a new feature. Can't hurt to make the suggestion.

Thank you for supportting me, bro. Will you share some more information about the Redmine you just talk about?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    While it's not an 'official' solution, Tweaks Anthology has an 'Add Bags of Holding' component:

For Baldur's Gate content, this component will add a gem bag to the Friendly Arm Inn store, a scroll case at the High Hedge, an ammo belt to Thunderhammer Smithy, a potion case to the Nashkel General Store, and a bag of holding at the Sorcerous Sundries in Baldur's Gate.

Combining it with Bottomless Bags of Holding will alleviate a lot of inventory management.
    StummvonBordwehrProontAerakarLoldrup
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    dunbar said:

I just recruit Neera, 'borrow' her BoH and then remove her from the party. Is this no longer possible in 2.5?

Neera has a Gem Bag, not a Bag of Holding

@kingnight
    I apologize, I had no idea that English was not your first language. I do however stand by the rest of my statements, Bags of Holding are for the most part unnecessary in BG1. However, I will concede that they would be a welcome addition under the condition that they are difficult to obtain.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisovGreenWarlock
    @ZaramMaldovar
    Then I accept your apology, I think we are good.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovGreenWarlock
    edited December 2017
    CamDawg said:

While it's not an 'official' solution, Tweaks Anthology has an 'Add Bags of Holding' component:

For Baldur's Gate content, this component will add a gem bag to the Friendly Arm Inn store, a scroll case at the High Hedge, an ammo belt to Thunderhammer Smithy, a potion case to the Nashkel General Store, and a bag of holding at the Sorcerous Sundries in Baldur's Gate.

Combining it with Bottomless Bags of Holding will alleviate a lot of inventory management.
    I know there's a unofficial pack, but this is my efforts to make it become an official one. Besides, a bottomless Bags of hoding is not my intention. In Siege of Dragonspear, we got 1 bag of holding, 2 more potion case, 1 more scroll case. If a 25+ hour expansion could be such a generous, why couldn't be the classic one?
    Post edited by kingnight on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    kingnight said:

Thank you for supportting me, bro. Will you share some more information about the Redmine you just talk about?
    Looks like argent77 beat me to putting up the link. You can request they add one to the game there. It seems like a relatively simple thing for them to incorporate to me.
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    edited December 2017
    Don't know about others, but my bags of holding are bugged at the moment. Happened with the one with the coffin, but it seems to be a general problem.

Meaning everything I put into the bag and take out again is still in the bag (and a copy in the inventory) when I look into it again. Unlimited rare items sound fun, but I prefer to play a bit more honest. Tried to add a bag of holding (bag04) with keeper for a workaround, same problem.

Now I limit myself to not using bags of holding, if possible. Like the good old days of BGI. I don't think the beta helps, but downloading it now.
  • RakhsevRakhsev Member Posts: 11
    I think we need more on your experience to help you play the game. Are you playing on PC ? iPad ? Solo run ? Do you sell common items ?

A bag of holding in BGEE is uneccessary and won't help you.
    kingnight said:

It's really stupid to travel around to just sell and clear your items, it isn't worth my time.

I'm surprised you're getting any help here with this attitude.
    ThacoBell
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Sam_ said:

[Note for Daveaorn 3]Davaeorn,
    As you have probably heard, the iron poison has begun to take effect around the coast. With the majority of iron imports being disrupted by Tazok, almost all of it comes from the tainted source in Nashkel. The Sythillisian uprising in Amn has ensured that no forces from that nation will be able to take action against our mercenary forces. However, the Flaming Fist has caught several of the Blacktalon mercenaries. All of those captured have claimed allegiance with the Zhentarim and have thus shifted any suspicion away from the Iron Throne. I have sent Tranzig to work with the mercenaries in transporting the iron to your base in Cloakwood. He has brought several bags of holding so that he, alone, will make trips into Cloakwood, thereby lessening the chance that Flaming Fist trackers might find your stronghold.

Rieltar
    Tarsakh, 1368
    I can't tell you how many hours I spent looking for this guy's bag of holding in the Cloakwood maps, but there's your canon "hard to find" location right there.

based on this, i think Tranzig should be holding a bag of holding with some "iron" items in it, that would make the most sense to me, in fact if i recall there was a mod out there back in the day that did give Tranzig a bag of holding

although i get by perfectly without a bag of holding i guess i wouldn't mind bringing one around ( unless i get it in chapter 5, and depending on the cost i may never buy it, if i do gold piece runs )
    ProontMirandelZaghoul
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    A bag is nice but doesn't it make more sense to request larger stacks of ammunition then rather than a bag? It would definitely save you reloading issues all the time by going into the bag/case and replenish the ammunition on your characters.
    Proont
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Don't know about others, but my bags of holding are bugged at the moment. Happened with the one with the coffin, but it seems to be a general problem.

Meaning everything I put into the bag and take out again is still in the bag (and a copy in the inventory) when I look into it again. Unlimited rare items sound fun, but I prefer to play a bit more honest. Tried to add a bag of holding (bag04) with keeper for a workaround, same problem.

Are you experiencing it in 2.3 or 2.5, @RazaDelrom ?
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited December 2017
    Actually Tranzig should have got at least a bags of holding because it is said in string 6493.

[Note for Daveaorn 3]Davaeorn,
    As you have probably heard, the iron poison has begun to take effect around the coast. With the majority of iron imports being disrupted by Tazok, almost all of it comes from the tainted source in Nashkel. The Sythillisian uprising in Amn has ensured that no forces from that nation will be able to take action against our mercenary forces. However, the Flaming Fist has caught several of the Blacktalon mercenaries. All of those captured have claimed allegiance with the Zhentarim and have thus shifted any suspicion away from the Iron Throne. I have sent Tranzig to work with the mercenaries in transporting the iron to your base in Cloakwood. He has brought several bags of holding so that he, alone, will make trips into Cloakwood, thereby lessening the chance that Flaming Fist trackers might find your stronghold.

Rieltar
    Tarsakh, 1368

I created a ticket
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/34626
    Proont[Deleted User]StummvonBordwehrZaghoul
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    I am against adding more containers, inventory management is part of the game. If you can't carry all the loot just throw it away or put it in some chest for later. I always have a chest in Friendly Arm for storage.

If someone really wants the BoH, use mods or console.

Maybe adding it to story mode only would be fine.
    Fluent
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    xizor said:

I am against adding more containers, inventory management is part of the game. If you can't carry all the loot just throw it away or put it in some chest for later. I always have a chest in Friendly Arm for storage.

If someone really wants the BoH, use mods or console.

Maybe adding it to story mode only would be fine.

i also choose the friendly arm inn for extra storage, unless im playing a solo game, then i use the sack just outside the black smith's store in beregost
    tbone1rede9dunbar
    Thels said:

While it does wonders, I think it's best to leave the base game be as it is...

I agree with your opinion, and I also present my point of view.

There is no such base game as you think any more, since the time when WEIDU remastered the first saga with the Infinite Engine 2 and release the Baldur's Gate Trilogy. What we got today is in fact backup by the D&D rule set 2.5, while the original saga--which was elapsed long time ago, is base on 2.0. Imaging if you go back to the year of 1998 and experience with the first version of BG, leave alone with the graphic details, I wager you can't even bear the lost of most of the game features you enjoy today. My point is, not always good old days work well for all the time, there is an old saying, the only thing that never changes is change itself, and we should move on.

Back to the topic, we all know about the Shield of Balduran and Wand of Summon Monster, which are considered to be as the violation of the rules, but in some ways, it do help a lot, especially for those who want to play solo or who are just new beginners. In my consideration, if we have found something breaking the rules, maybe we should try not to use them(if we have the confidence) or just negelect them and it won't change a thing, but we should never oppose their existence.

Besides, we always talk about tweaks, mods and command lines all the time, maybe they can provide some help in some ways, but isn't the best way. Some others may consider that it's inconvenient, too complicated or just feel like cheating, and don't willing to apply.

Finally, thanks for the assistance provide by @Loldrup, next time I should try to submit myself.
    SkatanLoldrup
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    I think my request is the humblest.
    StummvonBordwehr
    rede9 said:

I think my request is the humblest.

I support you, in chapter 3, I think it's really really the right time and the right place for player to acquire the BOH by killing Tranzig.
    LoldrupProont
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    I still think the bag of holding is absolutely unnecessary in BG1. Unless you pick every single loot (which you're no supposed to do, it gives too much gold), have a collection of quest-related items (just use some chest as a storage) or play solo (which is not the intended way to play - if you want to, use mods), there is really no problem with the inventory management in the first game.

One exception are magical arrows, which can take a lot of space by the endgame if you are stacking them. In which case adding late game ammo case (for example in the lower levels of Durlag's Tower) is enough.

You can also add it to the story mode, if you really think beginners can't handle simple inventory management.

And "just don't use it" isn't a good argument for two reasons. First, it is more inconvenient to keep track of the things you're not supposed to use for the whole game, than use the mod once. Second, it may break the game for new players, who want to play the actual BG with some improvements, and instead get some simplified version.
    Nikomakkos