Skip to content

Your Greatest Facepalm Moment?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    sarevok57 said:

ThacoBell said:

I've read about the "level 1 protection" in other threads. It has never worked for me. I'm typically only level 1 for the first two maps before FAI. That means gibberlings, bears, wolves, that ogre. No spell damage. Only being one shot by a standard bear or ogre attack or a gibberling crit.

Maybe it only works for npc's and not the player character?
    it's actually a game engine thing, i believe if you are uninjured and have 12 HP or less you cannot die in one hit from physical damage ( xzar is a perfect candidate to test this with ) although some baddies can over ride this rule for some bizarre reason, like the ogre wearing the cursed belt in the area under the FAI
    And wolves, xvarts, gibberlings, bears...
    StummvonBordwehrlolien
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ThacoBell said:

sarevok57 said:

ThacoBell said:

I've read about the "level 1 protection" in other threads. It has never worked for me. I'm typically only level 1 for the first two maps before FAI. That means gibberlings, bears, wolves, that ogre. No spell damage. Only being one shot by a standard bear or ogre attack or a gibberling crit.

Maybe it only works for npc's and not the player character?
    it's actually a game engine thing, i believe if you are uninjured and have 12 HP or less you cannot die in one hit from physical damage ( xzar is a perfect candidate to test this with ) although some baddies can over ride this rule for some bizarre reason, like the ogre wearing the cursed belt in the area under the FAI
    And wolves, xvarts, gibberlings, bears...
    i think warrior type classes are exempt from this rule, i notice that mages and thieves at lower levels don't die in one hit from physical damage
    @sarevok57 I play bards and thieves. I have NEVER seen this one hit immunity that people keep talking about.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    It applies to in-party damage as well. Try pitting Imoen against CHARNAME just after initially leaving Candlekeep, they can battle each other as long as you wish without going down.
    lolien
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    @ZaramMaldovar @UnderstandMouseMagic @JoenSo First time I did that I forgot to have Imoen look for traps, and my lone cleric (Anomen) walked right into it. Heeeeere's my sign.
    ZaramMaldovarProontOrlonKronsteenCaptRory
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

Don't know about "young" gamers.
    Embarrassingly not that long ago this "older" gamer allowed one of her party to find their own way to the level exit................ obviously thought it was a short cut............yes well, it was certainly short................

What happened next will crush your heart. And the rest of you.
    ThacoBellProontZaramMaldovar
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141

One of my greatest facepalm moments:
    Thinking I could disarm the crushing trap in Spellhold

Edit: To explain I played BG2 first, I had almost zero game experience before this and I was 12

I still tend to do that. I'll absentmindedly click to disable every trap I see and then Squish! I really shouldn't have my main character be a Thief. I'm getting a little better though. Or more paranoid. Whichever.
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteenArtonaSkatan
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    give imoen the girdle of piercing, studded leather and ring of protection +1 so she can disarm the two traps on the land bridge that goes deeper into the Nashkiel mines; takes 30! damage from a kobold arrow and dies

reloads:

have Imoen take a second attempt at disarming the traps; takes 32! damage this time from a kobold arrow and dies again

reloads:

3rd time's the charm and i finally succeed, seriously, those kobolds are packing serious heat with those crits against my level 1 and 2 characters
    ThacoBellProontMalicronlolien
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    I've been forgetting to switch scripts lately. Trying to sneak through Baldur's Gate when my character decides to look for traps and the Flaming Fist are all like, "There he is!"
    ThacoBellsarevok57Aerakarlolien
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Proont
    I just remove all scripts because I want to control my character's movements and actions constantly, it's a pain but combined with auto-pause it usually works out.

Facepalm Moment: Looking back at 12 year old me's runs before he figured out that auto-pause was a good idea. I got curbstomped by EVERYTHING in Baldur's Gate 1 and a lot of things in Baldur's Gate 2.
    AerakarMontresor_SPProontlolien
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    sarevok57 said:

this reminds me of the time back in the day when i was a wee lad playing BG for the first time-ish, there was a halfling selling a magical gem that would give you good luck

Does BGEE have such a halfling? Where?

booinyoureyes
    @ThacoBell
    There is nothing wrong with a good two-handed sword my friend, they are overrated for a reason.

But...8 Dex?
    ThacoBellProont

@ThacoBell
    There is nothing wrong with a good two-handed sword my friend, they are overrated for a reason.

But...8 Dex?

Yeah, the problem wasn't the weapon choice, it was having no shield option due to weapon pick paired with the dex score. I think I was like 8 years old at the times.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    Loldrup said:

sarevok57 said:

this reminds me of the time back in the day when i was a wee lad playing BG for the first time-ish, there was a halfling selling a magical gem that would give you good luck

Does BGEE have such a halfling? Where?

I know I use to encounter him, I think around the Ulcaster ruins or perhaps Firewine Bridge? But I can't recall seeing him in a long time. Did the EEs remove him?
    Proontbooinyoureyes
    @ThacoBell
    It's just a gem isn't it? I mean, I know it can't give luck or identify items so it must be a normal gem.
    ThacoBellProont
    @ZaramMaldovar Yup, just a normal gem.
    Aerakar
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Nimran said:

To be fair, the gem did ‘let you see the truth’ in that you should never pay 1000 gp for a gem.

I dunno. I'd pay a 1000gp for this one. ;)

https://astratelli.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Great-Star-of-Africa-in-British-Sceptre.jpg
    Proont