Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Haha, funny one.

In all seriousness, opinions are fine and all. Blades are fun and versatile, you get a bit of everything. But if you really want to assert “strongest single class”, I’m just going to laugh for a while ;)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    ThacoBell said:

Yeah, Bards still get so much undeserved hate even with Blades being the strongest single class and still being on par with several multiclasses.

That's a tough decision because it involves wether you decide to micromanage the class or not. My blade is tough and resourceful, but I still need to rely on the party's fighters for quick damage dealing or immediate tanking.
  • dearolddavedearolddave Member Posts: 8
    ThacoBell said:

@Jaheiras_Witness It's all about versatility. The game throws thousands of different encounters at you and no single strategy (barring cheese and engine exploits) will carry you all the way through. The class that allows to bring the most effective options to any needed encounter if going to be the strongest. Not in a pure damage race, but in GENERAL EFFECTIVENESS.

Blades stand out among the single classes because you can literally throw whatever you want at any problem and be able to do so competently. Its the same reason Multiclasses are so much better than just about any single class. You get almost all of the strengths and tactics of your component classes with reduced leveling being the only downside. And with proper tactics, levels aren't really an issue for multiclasses anyway.

Pretty much my whole point as well. Blades literally have an answer for everything. And if you don't like that answer, you can always steal.

Their "on the fly" responses to random stuff are absurdly good as well, so you don't have to pre plan everything.
    DJKajuru said:

ThacoBell said:

Yeah, Bards still get so much undeserved hate even with Blades being the strongest single class and still being on par with several multiclasses.

That's a tough decision because it involves wether you decide to micromanage the class or not. My blade is tough and resourceful, but I still need to rely on the party's fighters for quick damage dealing or immediate tanking.
    Really? What difficulty are you on? My tanks are too fragile lol

It really all depends on how you define "strong." The ideal class for a no-reload run (I'd say Berserker/Mage) is most definitely not the ideal class for a speedrun (apparently a Blade), and the character with the highest damage output per round (Kensai/Thief) is most definitely not the most user-friendly or easy to play (probably a fighter of some sort).

It's a bit like asking whether a hammer or a screwdriver is a better tool. You can make arguments about which is more useful and which is more necessary, but the best way to understand them is not to lavish praise on one or scorn the other, but simply to document the uses of each tool.

Why beserker mage, though? I'd think thief/mage would be much more ideal.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    edited January 2018
    DJKajuru said:

Since you're discussing the legality of kits, in Viconia's defense she has no kit related abilities either ;)

In addition to your examples, stalkers are supposed to possess intelligence 14 (if I recall) , and Valygar's is 10. Another illegal case.

He's too stupid to realize he's too stupid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Amazing what you can accomplish when you don't realize that you can't.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    DJKajuru said:

Raduziel said:

Did you know that both Tiax and Viconia doesn't meet the prerequisites for being a Strifeleader of Cyric and a Nightcloak of Shar, respectively?

A Strifeleader needs STR 13 and Tiax only has 9.

A Nightcloak of Shar needs STR 14 and Viconia only has 10.

As 9, 10, 13 and 14 scores in STR don't change anything except for weight allowance, boosting those stats to meet the prerequisites would not be a game-breaking or powergaming choice.

Two more illegals characters :)

Since you're discussing the legality of kits, in Viconia's defense she has no kit related abilities either ;)

In addition to your examples, stalkers are supposed to possess intelligence 14 (if I recall) , and Valygar's is 10. Another illegal case.

Apparently, Shar indeed despises the weak.

About Valygar, just turn him into a Wizard Slayer as it should be.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853

The Bronze Sentry in that Dwarven tomb in SOD has no resistance to cold damage. Since it hits like a truck, has loads of hit points, is immune to missile damage, and is immune to/resists most other elemental damage, your best bet is to cycle a wand of frost between 2 or more arcane casters and kite the thing to death.

Are you talking about the Dwarves of Dumathoin Quest or another one?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Wise_Grimwald: The one in the Dwarves of Dumathoin questline.

@Wise_Grimwald: The one in the Dwarves of Dumathoin questline.

Thanks. I beat them OK without that information this time, but the information could be useful in the future.

I had to do rather a lot of sleeping, and having that info could make that unecessary.
    Since Bridgefort is coming up on the horizon, that is worth knowing. I'll see how things go. I try to role play things, so I'll just go with the flow.