Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

I'm getting antsy and itchy like Lilarcor waiting for the 2.5 patch! I'm like:

"Boring. Boring. BorIIING!"
    "Can we go kill something now, huh?"
    "Can we go whack something now?"
    "C'mon, what about now? Let's KILL!"
    "C'mon c'mon, let's go whack something evil.
    "Come on let's kill something NOW!"
    "Come on, what about now? No? C'mon, c'mon! I'm getting itchy, let's GO!"

The patch needs a bit of additional testing. Read in the voice of Kevin Michael Richardson: "It SHALL come!"
    Contemplative_HamsterWise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehrProont
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited January 2018
    Raduziel said:

About illegal characters...

Did you know that both Baervan Wildwander and Baravar Cloakshadow doesn't allow their priests to multiclass?

So Quayle, Aerie and Glint are all ineligible for being Fastpaw/Hoodwinker.

Let's try asking @AndrewFoley and @Jacob about this ;)
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2018
    Quayle I kind of can understand as Hoodwinkers get access to Illusion spells (today any modder can make a Cleric with access to Illusion spells but IDK how things were back when BG1 was released).

Baervan gives access to thief skills, so Aerie should be a Cleric/Thief and Glint a Fastpaw instead of a Hoodwinker.

At least it would make sense mechanically.
    Wise_GrimwaldAerakarProont
  • Raduziel said:

Did you know that both Baervan Wildwander and Baravar Cloakshadow doesn't allow their priests to multiclass?

Source?
    edited January 2018

Raduziel said:

Source?
    Demihuman Deities - ISBN 0-7869-1239-1

Edit: When I get home I'll post some screenshots, give the exactly page and the TSR Code.
    Aerakartbone1Proont
  • Raduziel said:

Raduziel said:

Source?
    Demihuman Deities - ISBN 0-7869-1239-1

Edit: When I get home I'll post some screenshots, give the exactly page and the TSR Code.
    No prob - I've got it somewhere, too.
    Raduziel
    @Abi_Dalzim Some clerics (like Tyrrans) can use longswords or shortswords. A priest weapon restriction is defined by its deity, not its class.

What's the problem of Yaga-Shura using orcish archers?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Raduziel: The Archer kit is restricted to humans, elves, and half-elves due to being a ranger kit. But Orc Archers aren't actually coded as having the Archer kit; it's just a name.
    edited January 2018
    @semiticgod

So there is no problem with the orcish archers, right?

It is like the discussion I had on the Mercenary kit thread: not every mercenary is a Mercenary as not every archer is an Archer.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

@Raduziel: The Archer kit is restricted to humans, elves, and half-elves due to being a ranger kit. But Orc Archers aren't actually coded as having the Archer kit; it's just a name.

Really? I definitely remember them using Called Shot.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Raduziel: They use Called Shot, but they're coded as unkitted fighters instead of Archers. They don't get any Archer bonuses, either.
    edited January 2018
    Called Shot is not a kit's special ability in PnP, anyone with a ranged weapon can try a CS.

Called Shots

Take a look at Chapter Nine of the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 58. As you'll see in those rules, when you wish to make a Called Shot, you announce this before initiative is rolled, and you receive a +1 penalty to your initiative. Then, when your turn comes up in combat, you suffer a –4 penalty to your attack roll. Naturally, you can take Called Shots with melee, thrown, and missile weapons, and even with weapon-like spells such as magic missile.

Called Shots can be used for a variety of purposes. The most important of these are: Disarming a weapon; striking a specific body part; smashing something being held; bypassing armor; and special results.

Disarming a weapon warrants its own maneuver, so you'll find "Disarm" below.

Called Shots

To make a called shot, a player must announce his intention before any initiative dice are rolled. Upon doing so, he suffers a +1 penalty to his initiative (representing the time spent carefully aiming his attack).

When the character does get a chance to act, his attack roll suffers a -4 penalty. If the roll succeeds, the called shot accomplishes what the player wanted; if the roll missed, no damage occurs.

Because the AD&D game uses a generalized system for damage, called shots cannot be used to accomplish certain things. Against a creature, a called shot will only cause the normal amount of damage allowed the weapon. Attempts to blind, cripple, or maim will not succeed. So what can it do?

A called shot can cause a target to drop items or react in some other, more subtle, way. It can penetrate weak points in armor. It also can be used in attempts to knock an object out of a hand, shatter a flask, or otherwise damage items. Called shots can be very useful in activating the trigger of a known trap (if this can be done with a weapon) or in impressing the locals in an archery contest.

semiticgoddessStummvonBordwehrProontlolien
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

@Raduziel: They use Called Shot, but they're coded as unkitted fighters instead of Archers. They don't get any Archer bonuses, either.

That seems to drive the point home just as well, fighters arbitrarily having a ranger ability just because.
    semiticgoddessContemplative_HamsterThacoBell
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    SirK8 said:

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Coran has a kid in Baldur's Gate. The lady that gives you the quest to get Yago's book of curses or whatever is the child's mother. This only becomes apparent if Coran is in your party. If you refuse the quest he will leave. However, after completing it, he doesn't want to have anything to do with his kid.

This is content added by the BG1NPC mod.
    Wise_GrimwaldBleriot
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Raduziel said:

@Abi_Dalzim Some clerics (like Tyrrans) can use longswords or shortswords. A priest weapon restriction is defined by its deity, not its class.

Perhaps true in D&D rules, but in original BG rules which I actually like no cleric could use a bladed weapon.
    DJKajuru
    Yeah, but it is not like clerics wielding swords is an heresy (pun intended).
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208

This... bizarre engine quirk I discovered while messing with my mod might be useful to someone out there.

Not really relevant to what I'm making, but I've discovered a really weird interaction with death-by-zero-current-health. I was testing the HP cost component solo at first so I didn't realize this, but apparently when the PC has other party members, the script that kicks in when the shadow adept is out of HP will kill them, but the game doesn't end! They stay dead, but a Raise Dead or Resurrection will bring them back with no apparent issue. But that's not the weird part. After discovering this strangeness, I then decided to Ctrl-Y the PC to see what happens, and they died as expected, but the game still didn't end! Here's a screenshot of the game continuing to run with a dead PC:

This is a pretty major bug and I'm looking into getting it fixed, but holy hell. This might actually be useful in some way for some other modder out there.
    But ... what is Charname doing in Sigil? :smile:
    @Artemius_I Report the bug on support.baldursgate.com (if you think it's a major one and want to get it fixed) - as it's a bit difficult to explain what you're expereincing without knowing the details of how your mod is working.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277

@Artemius_I Report the bug on support.baldursgate.com (if you think it's a major one and want to get it fixed) - as it's a bit difficult to explain what you're expereincing without knowing the details of how your mod is working.

@JuliusBorisov

I doubt anyone will ever run into this bug as no vanilla behavior would enable it. Plus, as I've said, it can enable certain modding possibilities.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

@JuliusBorisov

I doubt anyone will ever run into this bug as no vanilla behavior would enable it. Plus, as I've said, it can enable certain modding possibilities.
    If nothing else, it would have allowed Black Pits to function without the rings of Min1HP, I assume.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited January 2018

This... bizarre engine quirk I discovered while messing with my mod might be useful to someone out there.

Not really relevant to what I'm making, but I've discovered a really weird interaction with death-by-zero-current-health. I was testing the HP cost component solo at first so I didn't realize this, but apparently when the PC has other party members, the script that kicks in when the shadow adept is out of HP will kill them, but the game doesn't end! They stay dead, but a Raise Dead or Resurrection will bring them back with no apparent issue. But that's not the weird part. After discovering this strangeness, I then decided to Ctrl-Y the PC to see what happens, and they died as expected, but the game still didn't end! Here's a screenshot of the game continuing to run with a dead PC:

This is a pretty major bug and I'm looking into getting it fixed, but holy hell. This might actually be useful in some way for some other modder out there.
    @Artemius_I Huh. I could see using the Shadow Weave & having a special connection to Shar through the use thereof as an excuse to allow a dead PC to hold onto his soul for at least a little longer to give them the chance of being raised.
    Would definitely be different. No help for a solo run but possible for use with a party as mentioned.

Just an idea. Maybe work in a constitution loss on being raised as that would be a pretty big hit for a shadow weave user.
    StummvonBordwehr