Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Huh. I guess you miss things when, like me, you habitually assume that items and mechanics can only be nerfed, and never un-nerfed. Back before I understood much of anything about this game, I used that ring from Spellhold as a crutch against status and never understood why it didn't work against Mind Flayers. I know better now, but it didn't occur to me that it might be some help now.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2018
    In the script you see RESPONSE #30, #40, #70... Those are indicators that there is an X% chance they do that action and Y% chance to do the other action or no action at all (if sum of odds is less than 100). This means it is quite random when they switch to gaze attack or not, but at least there is a condition which gives it the highest chance #70 (range being the deciding bit in the script).
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I thought webbed, held and stunned characters had their inventory greyed out? Or is that only mind affected like confusion and such?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I've learned that you can use meta-knowledge to kill Elminster multiple times for 26,000 xp a pop. If you play a thief or, preferably, a bounty hunter it's easy as pie to set multiple traps at every spawn point for the pointy-hatted interloper. I'm not sure Mystra approves, but she hasn't cursed me yet!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Now that I think about, it should be possible to gain near-immunity to stun using the Ring of Free Action of my install, which cures stun but grants no immunity. I'll take the example of the mind flayer dungeon.

1. Before fighting any mind flayers, drop the Ring of Free Action on the ground (it has to be directly under your feet).
    2. Equip rings in both slots.
    3. If the character gets stunned, enter the inventory screen, switch out one of the rings for the Ring of Free Action, and drop the spare ring on the ground.

This should cure the stun effect, at least after un-pausing, at which point you can put the Ring of Free Action back on the ground in case you need to use it again.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Now that I think about, it should be possible to gain near-immunity to stun using the Ring of Free Action of my install, which cures stun but grants no immunity. I'll take the example of the mind flayer dungeon.

1. Before fighting any mind flayers, drop the Ring of Free Action on the ground (it has to be directly under your feet).
    2. Equip rings in both slots.
    3. If the character gets stunned, enter the inventory screen, switch out one of the rings for the Ring of Free Action, and drop the spare ring on the ground.

This should cure the stun effect, at least after un-pausing, at which point you can put the Ring of Free Action back on the ground in case you need to use it again.

Can you pick up the item from the greyed out inventory screen "floor" panel?
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Is it true that Elder Umber Hulks have a faster movement rate than normal ones? I realized this when several of the former ones were pitted against my solo Sorcerer in Dennaton's Arena (although by proper timing, I could beat them without much trouble).
  • @semiticgod , you win the IAC!

@semiticgod , you win the IAC!

What the hell is an IAC?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

What the hell is an IAC?
    I'm betting the "A" stands for acronym.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

What the hell is an IAC?
    International Acronym Contest, perhaps?
  • BillyYank said:

What the hell is an IAC?
    I'm betting the "A" stands for acronym.

What the hell is an IAC?
    International Acronym Contest, perhaps?

This.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857

A WoF is only OP outside of LoB, but a WoMS is OP even in LoB due to LoB HP changes, especially without summ caps. But FWIW, a WoL-boosted WoF is still OP in LoB.

IIRC, LoB involves +5 ST, +5 THAC0, x3 HP +80, and +1 APR in addition to +12 levels, so DPR is really important, but AI is all the same. FYI, summs only get x2 HP +20, while NPCs get nothing (BTW, solo NR LoB+SCS runs are really hard).

LoB doesn't overhaul everything. PFMW, GWW, SI, UAI, IH, FoA, CF, HiPS, IMoD, SotM, and CC are OP with or without LoB, while TS, IA, ADHW (AKA, HW) and DB are much less OP in LoB, and RM and CO are almost useless to the player, while BBoD depends on class. AoE is especially important in HoF, the IWD counterpart to BG's LoB. Under the right circumstances, DEX/INT drain, GM, DR, DD's in general, MGOI/FA+Web, RoR, and FF are more useful/important in LoB.

Sorry. So many acronyms that I didn't read it. :blush:
    The funny thing is that nothing in that acronym-loaded post is particularly insightful. If you spelled out all of the acronyms, everything is pretty basic stuff for people who are already familiar with the game.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    This is where we need that acronym glossary I created and got stickied over at the old Bioware boards. Somebody tried to save it and move it over here when those boards shut down, along with all the old no-reload posts, but it seems to have been lost anyway.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @BelgarathMTH Was it copied in this forum somewhere? I can try to locate it and bring it to the surface... if anyone has a link o it it would be even simpler...
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @tbone1

Was there a list to explain the name of the list that explains the acronyms?
    @BelgarathMTH: There's a thread called Jargon Buster that has most of the acronyms in that post.

For the record, in my post:

Summs: Summoned critters
    ST: Saving Throws
    GWW: Greater Whirlwind Attack (don't know why it's not GWA)
    CC: Crowd Control
    DD: Dwarven Defender
    DEX: Dexterity
    INT: Intelligence
    GM: Greater Malison
    RoR: Rod of Resurrection
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    edited February 2018
    Speaking of abbreviations:

Q: What does the "B" stand for in Benoit B. Mandelbrot?

A: Benoit B. Mandelbrot!

:tongue:

Recharging a wand at a normal store will recharge it all the way up to its maximum number of charges, which is normally either 50 or 100. However, recharging at Sorcerous Sundries will only recharge it to 20 charges. This is because Sorcerous Sundries already sells wands with 20 charges, and when you sell a wand to the shop, it stacks it with the other 20-charge wands. So if you can't afford to recharge a wand to 50 charges, you could recharge it at Sorcerous Sundries for 20 charges at a lower price.

I would just buy a brand new one and keep the other one until you can afford the 100 charges.
    edited February 2018
    Raduziel said:

@tbone1

Was there a list to explain the name of the list that explains the acronyms?

A long time ago, when the subject of TLAs was brought up at a meeting, I had to ask what a TLA was. :D I don't know if I was the only one who didn't know, or if I was the only one brave enough to ask. I later used the term FLA as a joke. One person was brave enough to ask, and others worked it out. TGIF is one as is DFYT. Perhaps only Brits will understand those.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2018

Speaking of abbreviations:

Q: What does the "B" stand for in Benoit B. Mandelbrot?

A: Benoit B. Mandelbrot!

:tongue:

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are being very clever and that this is a test and that I have just failed your test. I do not even know what it is that I do not know.

EDIT: Upon further review, I now believe this is on the lines of Harry S. Truman's undefined middle name, and not a clever reference to Mandelbrot's work and concepts. Yes?
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on