Skip to content

Forgotten Realms Books

Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
Let's make a list of Forgotten Realms books so people can have a resource if they wish to read them.

Both standalone ones and book series are fine to put in.

FORMAT:

Book Title: XYZ

Book Description: ...

Rating: ?/10

Part of a Series: Y/N

Would you recommend to others? Why/why not?
Post edited by Wandering_Ranger on

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Contemplative_HamsterBladeDancerRaduzielProont
  • Wandering_RangerWandering_Ranger Member Posts: 175
    Thanks, but I had something in mind more along the lines of a person writing about the book(s) they read, and then writing what they are about, if they recommend them, and whatever else.
    booinyoureyes
    Book Title: XYZ

Book Description: ...

Rating: ?/10

Part of a Series: Y/N

Would you recommend to others? Why/why not?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't get that from mere lists on the internet, and you have to sift through hundreds of titles in the process to find a story you may be interested in.

In any case, not interested in participating in what the thread is about and are only here to say what a bad idea it is? Bye bye. Not interested in your input in the slightest.

I scroll past through dozens of topics I don't care about. Imagine if I stopped by every one to not participate in the discussion at hand and was merely on the thread to denounce it. What is that called? Trolling.

@JuliusBorisov take a look at this please and tell me how the above post is okay by community standards. It's not participating in the post, it's extremely pointless, and it's a derailment of the thread. Some people may want a book thread. For those that do, they can come here. For those that don't, they can use google (which everyone knows how to use). He could have just as easily scrolled past but instead chose to make the above pointless post. Imagine if everyone did that. Every thread would be cancer.
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited February 2018
    Point 1: You edited your first post to reflect more accurately what you intended for this thread. The original first post merely called for a list of FR novels.

Point 2: When I started writing my post, which took some time because I had to look up the comics I wanted to include in my post here on this friendly forum, your second post was not available.

Point 3: My written comment and the images state my view on FR novels. I do not recommend them from the point of view of a literate adult - with a degree in Anglophone literature as it happens, but even without it, I would stay away from FR novels. I've read about 50 of the books and anthologies from @Dev6 's link. They were OK when I was a teen learning English ESL, but their literary qualities are rather lacking. Anything by Ed Greenwood is sure to be about bared flesh, archaic English, avuncular wizards and lots of fight scenes. Most of the rest of them are ... about as good as you'd expect from novelizations of a game setting.
    Dev6RaduzielProont
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Book Title: Baldur's Gate #1

Author: Philip Athans

Book Description: "Someone is sabotaging the iron mines of the Sword Coast, pushing powerful realms toward a bloody war, and a young mercenary toward an unimaginable secret."

Rating: 0/10

Part of a Series: Y

Would you recommend to others? Why/why not? Only if you take pleasure in self-torture.

--

@Wandering_Ranger - You forgot to include the author in your format block.

Also some other excellent guides to FR novels:
    * http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels.htm
    * https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2276.Best_Forgotten_Realms_Novels
    Contemplative_HamsterDev6booinyoureyesBladeDancer
    edited February 2018
    Book Title: Any novel by Ed Greenwood

Book Description: A young, supple female is granted spectacular powers. She must now survive everything the Zhentarim / Church of Bane / Red Wizards of Thay / the Shadovar /The Cult of the Dragon can throw at her! Luckily, Elminster comes to the rescue .... but at what price for Young Supple Female, Elminster, Shadowdale, and the Realms? Also, breasts and philosophy.

There may also be other elements in the book in question, but the above plot will still hold true for most of them.

Rating: 0/10

Part of a Series: Oh, yes.

Would you recommend to others? Why/why not? No. Though it will teach you the archaic forms of the second person informal nominative and possessive (thou, thy, thine). So that's something.
    Dev6
  • Dev6 said:

Also, breasts and philosophy.

I'm sold.
    Of course, when I say philosophy, I mean your garden-variety discussions of why good people do good things, etc. It's hardly Aristotle or Gottlob Frege.

But breasts, breasts definitely.
    Dev6booinyoureyesBalrog99Proont
    edited February 2018

Dev6 said:

I'm sold.
    Of course, when I say philosophy, I mean your garden-variety discussions of why good people do good things, etc. It's hardly Aristotle or Gottlob Frege.

Also, occasionally they are Elminster's breasts
    Argh, THAT scene just came back to me from 19 years ago.

My fellow forumites, this is an actual scene in an actual published book by Ed Greenwood about the origins and youth of Elminster:

A young, supple Elminster has just had an involuntary magical sex change. In such trying times, his first thoughts turn toward his new boobage and how he could engage in lovemaking and be on the *ahem* receiving end of attentions for a change.

Curse you for making me recall this! :#
    Post edited by Contemplative_Hamster on
    Dev6booinyoureyesProont
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited February 2018

Dev6 said:

I'm sold.

Oh God, I don't know if that's a joke or not, but coincidentally, in the novel that details Elminster's origin story, he is forced to be a woman for several chapters.
    Dev6booinyoureyesProont
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited February 2018

Dev6 said:

I'm sold.

Argh, THAT scene just came back to me from 19 years ago.

My fellow forumites, this is an actual scene in an actual published book by Ed Greenwood about the origins and youth of Elminster:

A young, supple Elminster has just had an involuntary magical sex change. In such trying times, his first thoughts turn toward his new boobage and how he could engage in lovemaking and be on the *ahem* receiving end of attentions for a change.

Curse you for making me recall this! :#
    And Ed Greenwood rationalized El's magical sex change as a necessary step to become the powerful mage he will be thousands of years later, claiming women are more sensitive to magical energies than men or something like that. :/
    Dev6booinyoureyes

Point 1: You edited your first post to reflect more accurately what you intended for this thread. The original first post merely called for a list of FR novels.

Point 2: When I started writing my post, which took some time because I had to look up the comics I wanted to include in my post here on this friendly forum, your second post was not available.

Point 3: My written comment and the images state my view on FR novels. I do not recommend them from the point of view of a literate adult - with a degree in Anglophone literature as it happens, but even without it, I would stay away from FR novels. I've read about 50 of the books and anthologies from @Dev6 's link. They were OK when I was a teen learning English ESL, but their literary qualities are rather lacking. Anything by Ed Greenwood is sure to be about bared flesh, archaic English, avuncular wizards and lots of fight scenes. Most of the rest of them are ... about as good as you'd expect from novelizations of a game setting.

Point 1: Use a bit of intuition. Anyone can use Google, so obviously it wasn't asking for that.

Point 2: Check a post before posting.

Point 3: Should've said that instead of using stupid comics and you wouldn't have looked like you were trolling. At least it would have been (somewhat) on point. But honestly, better that you said nothing at all and left people who do want to find out about books to enjoy them.

Imagine if everyone did this sort of thing on threads everywhere.
  • Bah. You don't get to dictate the form or content of my literary reviews and appreciations. I did do exactly what you asked in several posts above. Still waiting for your contributions.
    Dev6ThacoBellProont
    Nor did I try. you don't get to come onto a thread and derail it either. And nor will I respond to you again. Bye bye.
  • Bye, luv. Safe travels.
    RaduzielProont
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    @Wandering_Ranger since you're so good with Google, you should try looking up the definition of pathetic. It's what your posts in this thread are.
    Raduziel
    As was your initial moronic response, but that's life. You came to my thread, not the other way around. That's the very definition of pathetic.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Closing the thread for moderation review.
    JuliusBorisov
This discussion has been closed.