Skip to content

Beamdog streams

Comments

• KrovosKrovos Member Posts: 20

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    I'd like some clarification about this bit:

"We cannot show examples of normal/spec mapped textures in the game yet, but some great looking stuff IS coming, so get ready!"

Are we getting new textures?
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266

I'd like some clarification about this bit:

"We cannot show examples of normal/spec mapped textures in the game yet, but some great looking stuff IS coming, so get ready!"

Are we getting new textures?

Emm yes ?! it is understood from the sentence :D Anyway, I think this takes away any theory that makes many of the fact that BD is made up of screenwriters in the development team, and makes it clear that "Designers and programmers" are also present. He explains the fact that lately they are looking for new members for these 2 fields in part.
    So it's clear how the sun BD is trying to "balance" our demand among new and old players, to make sure that this NWN: EE is a success.
  • InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    I don't think we'll see much beyond a few demo pieces with the new textures in this update (though I'll happily be wrong!). But just the added support for Normal and Spec maps is a phenominal boost for making modern looking assets, personally I can't wait to get my mits on them!
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    I'm really looking forward to seeing a sneak peak of the visual potential of the EE. Hope they will show some new textures or engine upgrades they've been working on!
  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2018

I don't think we'll see much beyond a few demo pieces with the new textures in this update (though I'll happily be wrong!). But just the added support for Normal and Spec maps is a phenominal boost for making modern looking assets, personally I can't wait to get my mits on them!

In today's patch not yet, I think it will take some time for a new update, but honestly I have to say the fact that they put back the original music of NWN and not that horrible thing that makes you come to the depression of music of HoTU and already a change ... so I seem to have understood from what will come with the new path, but it is obvious that this game has a long way ahead for an official release.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a sneak peak of the visual potential of the EE. Hope they will show some new textures or engine upgrades they've been working on!

And what I have been doing since NWN: EE was announced ... actually since we started talking about a possible graphic change, but the real problem is that BD will still have to balance the requests of old and new players and to make sure that the changes made with NWN: EE do not break compatibility (something that lately is starting to bother me, because it is becoming an excuse for any topic created to implement new features, functions and improvements to the engine sice my idea on adding "ceiling" in NWN: EE - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/68706/would-you-like-to-have-ceiling-for-basic-tilesets-in-nwn-ee#latest ).
  • InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    Expansive visual updates may be a way down the line but 8156 will (should) give us support for those maps so modders and CC makers can get cracking straight away!

People'll\be showing off stuff before the day's out.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited February 2018
    Who is ready for this weeks stream!?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    This week's update is big, don't miss the stream in 20 minutes!
  • dafenadafena Member Posts: 74

Who is ready for this weeks stream!?

It is my wife's Birthday so I will not be around for the Steam this week. But happy stream day to everyone!

It is my wife's Birthday so I will not be around for the Steam this week. But happy stream day to everyone!

Congratulations! Aribeth sends her wishes! http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/02/nwnee-8157-8158-patch-notes.html
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited February 2018
    The new model I'm seeing there is nice, but it doesn't really match her portraits. However, if other content gets updated to a similar level of quality (and theres an option to turn it off if you want to), I won't complain. :smile:
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    Here is her new portrait. Hope it looks like her. :p

edited February 2018
    I SO approve of the new graphic style. But the thing is, the engine already encounters several slowdowns as it is. Will it be able to cope with the new style?

More importantly, this...

New configuration keys in nwnplayer.ini:
    [Server Options]
    AttackBonusLimit=20
    DamageBonusLimit=100
    SavingThrowBonusLimit=20
    AbilityBonusLimit=12
    AbilityPenaltyLimit=30
    SkillBonusLimit=50

Does this mean now that we can FINALLY remove those previously hardcoded caps?
    Post edited by Dark_Ansem on
  • RevockRevock Member Posts: 16
    I'm currently watching the latest stream recording, Trent answers a question about NWN2 ever being done,,,, I just bought DragonAge Origins, I wonder if they could ever do that? and make it multi-player, plus toolset.

It's Toolset hurt my brainpan the little bit i looked at it.
    Revock said:

I'm currently watching the latest stream recording, Trent answers a question about NWN2 ever being done,,,, I just bought DragonAge Origins, I wonder if they could ever do that? and make it multi-player, plus toolset.

That was the last game I bought from Bioware. The disappointment was real.

Revock said:

The Mass Effect Trilogy was pretty epic... But I never quite saw what everyone else did in DA. It felt like a US remake of a classic indie film. A big budget Witcher with everything that made that universe unique replaced with standard fantasy tropes.

I'm happy for all the people who loved the series but it wasn't for me.

:)

Revock said:

The Mass Effect Trilogy was pretty epic... But I never quite saw what everyone else did in DA. It felt like a US remake of a classic indie film. A big budget Witcher with everything that made that universe unique replaced with standard fantasy tropes.

I could never forgive the half-arsed toolset which could not even load DLC/Awakening content AND the fact that they never implemented plugin support, despite promising.
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210

Revock said:

I could never forgive the half-arsed toolset which could not even load DLC/Awakening content AND the fact that they never implemented plugin support, despite promising.
    I enjoyed some of the early gameplay, but when I bought 3rd instalment and it was buggy/ wouldn’t install (went to 92% and hung EVERY time) and was basically stonewalled, i was not impressed. I wanted some closure so went on utube to see the ending. Apparently there were 6 variant endings depending on what you did and they all basically for lack of a better term sucked from what I remember.
    Stuff like.
    Shepard dies, universe dies
    Shepard lives, universe dies, then Shepard dies
    Shepard and universe harvested horribly, universe dies.
    Shepard harvests universe, everybody dies.
    Shepard and universe lives, only to be re harvested another day horribly because you failed to do that thing back in chapter 2

Ok, not quite like that but that’s the vibe I got. Wrote them an email telling them where to jam their buggy software that sounded like I was glad I didn’t waste my time playing it through to the end anyway.
    Though some of the gameplay I did really enjoy !
    edited February 2018
    My face when I wake up late and the wife reminds me the stream starts in 5 minutes so I don't post about it until the stream is over...

• SaintPhillipSaintPhillip Member Posts: 59
    fluke13 said:

I'm enjoying the streams... thinking about some of the negative views people had on SOD/Beamdog (and a few comments on the youtube streams)... in the streams you can see Trent and Phil are just a couple of guys who love games, love fantasy and want isometric rpgs to carry on strong forever. You can disagree, like I think nwn2 going more BG style was a good thing, but I find it hard to believe that anyone can watch these streams and hate on it (I guess that's why they say "haters' gonna hate"). I think if EA did live streams, it might help their rep.

I'm liking Beamdog's style so far... EEs for the new modding capabilities equals win, SOD shows they can do great new content, now NWN, new sprites equals win... then hopefully something brand new later in the year...

Long live isometric fantasy rpgs

I agree- Thus far ive been really impressed by beamdog.

This was my first experience with the company and I was leery at first but since NWN was one of my favorite games I decided to put my reservations aside and see what happens. So far this has been a really excellent experience and I see the same thing- Some people who love games and gaming and are being really open about a project they seem truly excited about.

I dont get to watch the livestreams live most of the time, sadly- But I always catch up on them when I get the chance.

At this point I would say Beamdog has been awesome in pretty much every regard and the livestream is just some icing on the cake.
This discussion has been closed.