Skip to content

Your Own Personal Catchphrase

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Shandaxx said:

"Egos exist to be stroked"

That has been my experience over and over again on so many occasions.

For example when you supervise someone and they make a mistake you cannot simply point that out. You cannot say "You made a mistake", you must say something like "Good idea, but there might be some room for improvement..." something like that.

And when you have a different idea than someone, and many people you have talked to approve of and prefer your idea you cannot simply confront that person with your idea. Instead you have to gently nudge that person into the direction of your idea, so that they get there by themselves and feel like they contributed.

It's always an act of balance between rudeness and being polite, to actually being overly polite. But in the end it all boils down to that egos like to be stroked.

And here's some private insight into me as a person. Since I know that I like that too, I have come to hate it. Stroking my ego is a way of manipulating me. There was a time you could make me do something for you when you complimented me. So I have come to hate compliments that are a bit too easily given to me.

I have also come to despise it when people say nice things about me just because they think that would make me feel better, because it would flatter me. No it doesn't. In most cases I can see right through it and I hate it.

To me compliments should only be given when they are truly genuine and yet my life experience tells me that there are so many people who desperately need their egos to be stroked. I have even come to know someone who strokes their own ego by telling themselves how nice they are for stroking other peoples' egos...

My conclusion: egos exist to be stroked, but please, don't stroke mine.

I'm the same way actually. I hate being complemented especially if it is through a job. You shouldn't be complimented for doing a job right. It's your job to do, you shouldn't do it any other way.
    [Deleted User]ArdanisProont
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    From the original Mystery Science Theatre 3000, “Santa Claus Conquers the Martians”:

“What do you want for Christmas, Crow?”
    “I want to decide who lives and who dies.”
    semiticgoddessThacoBellProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "A forced apology is insincere"
    Balrog99Proont
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I came up with this one when I must've been 19-20, which would be like '99/2000.

"Everyone in the world except for me is smoking crack. It's the only explanation. They go inside their homes, draw the curtains shut, and they smoke crack."

One I've lived by for the last decade or so.

"Never trust anyone that calls you sir, Mister or brother. You can automatically assume that they want something from you."

Yes, I'm a cynical bastard.
    ThacoBellProontBalrog99
    @DrHappyAngry "One I've lived by for the last decade or so.

"Never trust anyone that calls you sir, Mister or brother. You can automatically assume that they want something from you."

Yes, I'm a cynical bastard."

You would absolutely not trust me irl.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I call everyone "sir" and "ma'am," from cashiers at HEB to folks at the homeless shelter. It's just a way of showing respect to people.
    Balrog99ThacoBell
    Ha. Maybe it's because I live in city on the west coast that the only times I hear sir, brother and mister are from bums and sales people.
    edited February 2018
    I grew up in the southern Midwest. If I don’t say “Sir” and “Ma’am”, they’ll have to put a tachometer on my mom’s grave.
    Post edited by tbone1 on
    ThacoBellProont
    I think out here, terms like Sir and Ma'am are viewed as being and admission of subservience, and are considered somewhat degrading compared to out East, at least in the big cities. You still do hear it in the old money type towns. I did grow up in Florida, and one side of my family's from Louisville, and do remember it was way more common, and expected out East. In Seattle all the baristas have tattoos, so words like Sir and Ma'am just don't fit.
    Balrog99ThacoBell
    Why would tattoos preclude "sir" or "madam"?
    ThacoBell said:

They don’t. I had a great uncle who survived Iwo Jimo and got a tattoo that commemorated his friends and comrades who never left the island. My great uncle was also very polite and considerate

As was a former coworker, about ten years my junior, who had a couple tattoos. I think that people on the coasts are just rectal orifices, to be honest.

ThacoBellBalrog99Proont
    ThacoBell said:

They don't necessarily, but I guess we're just a little more punk rock out here.

ThacoBell said:

They don't necessarily, but I guess we're just a little more punk rock out here.
    For some reason "I'm a little bit country. And I'm a little bit rock and roll" just popped into my head, and I have no idea why.
    Balrog99Proont
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

For some reason "I'm a little bit country. And I'm a little bit rock and roll" just popped into my head, and I have no idea why.
    Seek help. Now.

And for the love of Thor, no one google that!!!
    semiticgoddessThacoBellBalrog99Proont
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

Ugh... I really don't like the sound I just heard.

You know, if you're going to write a catchy and memorable song that's going to stick in people's heads, it should be pleasant to hear.
    ThacoBellProont
    So its actually from something? It felt like it was, but I could not recall anything to conscious memory for the life of me.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    "Saunan taakse, ja niskalaukaus!"

It's a hyperbole, in Finnish stark humour, and mostly directed at myself, should I depart too painfully from my own standards; sometimes at greater phenomena; should the society show intolerable corruption.

Should x then "Behind the sauna, and neckshot finisher!"

ThacoBell said:

So its actually from something? It felt like it was, but I could not recall anything to conscious memory for the life of me.

It's from a South Park episode. It started out as a story about the Iraq War tearing the country, then it got into this weird flashback thing about how the Founding Fathers decided to build the country on a foundation of lies. Then there was this big singing number where liberals and conservatives agreed that none of it mattered because the important thing was celebrating South Park's 100th episode.
    ThacoBell

ThacoBell said:

It's from a South Park episode. It started out as a story about the Iraq War tearing the country, then it got into this weird flashback thing about how the Founding Fathers decided to build the country on a foundation of lies. Then there was this big singing number where liberals and conservatives agreed that none of it mattered because the important thing was celebrating South Park's 100th episode.
    Actually, it was from a really bad 70s tv show, if you'll pardon the redundancy; that phrase warned everyone that Mormons were about to sing.

ThacoBellBalrog99
    Speaking of hearing songs in my head, every time I get a notification in this thread, I hear the refrain from "Your Own Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode, with "Catchphrase" in place of Jesus.
    tbone1Proont
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    And thats the end of that chapter
    semiticgoddessProont
    I have picked up one from Jim Gaffigan. He had a bit where he wished he could act like a film director in real life. So if someone won’t shut up, he just says “Aaaaaand cut, No, stop talking, we’re done her.”

It is really hard for me to not say “Aaaaaand cut!” to certain people.
    ProontThacoBell
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    When asked a stupid question, give a smart answer.
    ProontThacoBell

It's hard for me to tell, since I do not eat mayonnaise. However, I did some research on mayonnaise today, and my hypothesis is that mayonnaise might be usable as a low-quality drum if one were to freeze it. While I have no experience with mayonnaise, I have previous encountered very hard ice cream that produced a satisfying sound when I tapped it with my finger. Perhaps one could do the same with mayonnaise if it could be made that hard, but I'm not sure if it can.

Even still, the jar containing the mayonnaise would probably be a better instrument than the mayonnaise itself.
    That's like my favorite Patrick quote! And I do hate mayonnaise, as well. I had assumed he meant using it to make a squishy/suctiony noise.

Here's a personal catch phrase from me

"Mayonnaise is like somebody simulated the taste of rot, and turned it into a spreadable condiment."

To me, mayo just tastes rotten. You put it on meat, and it tastes like rotten meat. On vegatables, it tastes like rotten vegetables. The worst part is, it soaks it's way into everything, so you can't just wipe it off. The stuff can literally trip my gag reflex, it tastes so bad to me.
    tbone1ThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

It's hard for me to tell, since I do not eat mayonnaise. However, I did some research on mayonnaise today, and my hypothesis is that mayonnaise might be usable as a low-quality drum if one were to freeze it. While I have no experience with mayonnaise, I have previous encountered very hard ice cream that produced a satisfying sound when I tapped it with my finger. Perhaps one could do the same with mayonnaise if it could be made that hard, but I'm not sure if it can.

Even still, the jar containing the mayonnaise would probably be a better instrument than the mayonnaise itself.
    That's like my favorite Patrick quote! And I do hate mayonnaise, as well. I had assumed he meant using it to make a squishy/suctiony noise.

Here's a personal catch phrase from me

"Mayonnaise is like somebody simulated the taste of rot, and turned it into a spreadable condiment."

To me, mayo just tastes rotten. You put it on meat, and it tastes like rotten meat. On vegatables, it tastes like rotten vegetables. The worst part is, it soaks it's way into everything, so you can't just wipe it off. The stuff can literally trip my gag reflex, it tastes so bad to me.
    It IS a great song by Smashing Pumpkins though...
    Proont
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    "Welp, we're boned."
    Balrog99semiticgoddessProonttbone1
    Flashburn said:

"Welp, we're boned."

"Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee."
    Balrog99ProontFlashburn