Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Not by changing the saving throw usage. But you get similar behaviour by changing all spell effects to have 95% to allow a save and 5% no save. That's quite a task though
    Grond0semiticgoddessMantis37lolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited February 2018

My friend @Vynn also finished a no-reload-run through IWD using HoF mode with a solo Druid years ago @semiticgod. But as he dont uses any communities his defeat of Big B was unrecorded - too bad. If i remember correctly he only reloaded against the final boss in Heart of Winter as well when trying to take down the Rakshasas in Trial of the Luremaster. Totemic Druid would be even more powerful as many opponents only use normal weapons. Thats one of the reasons why Monks can be big fun once they get their weapon immunity. Combined with Quivering Palm my solo Monk rocked IWD pretty hard - except for some parts of the Luremaster which were really painful... :D

A lot fewer enemies use nonmagical weapons in IWD:EE than in vanilla, at least as of v2.5. Protection from Magical Weapons blocked a lot of attacks in Frisk's run.

Did @Vynn play in the vanilla game or EE?
    Wise_Grimwald
    I forgot to mention: I've also installed a component from Tactics4IWD2 that reduces HP for summoned critters, so summons will not dominate IWD2 the way they did in IWD:EE. I won't be able to just steamroll everything with Animate Dead and Shades.

I do have Vipergout, however, which Tactics4IWD2 buffs. Vipergout summons a single viper per round for one round per level, and each viper lasts for 3 rounds. You can't cast spells while it's in effect, but Caballus' Whispering Staff allows us to cast Invisibility Sphere even while Vipergout is in effect. This means we can have a virtually immortal summons for one round per level, since any viper that dies will be replaced within seconds. It won't deal a bunch of damage, but it should be very draining to enemy spellcasters.
    @Flashburn: What mod is the Staff of Enchantment +5 from?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited March 2018

More Style For Mages.

A wizard staff can be upgraded to +5 in ToB, though it can be imbued with a school of magic at 250k XP when its still +3. Thrall is exclusive to the Staff of Enchantment +5. If I were to guess, I'd say it works similarly to your Seducer's Recruit Follower ability, but it's only 1x/day instead of at-will.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Flashburn said:

More Style For Mages.

A wizard staff can be upgraded to +5 in ToB, though it can be imbued with a school of magic at 250k XP when its still +3. Thrall is exclusive to the Staff of Enchantment +5. If I were to guess, I'd say it works similarly to your Seducer's Recruit Follower ability, but it's only 1x/day instead of at-will.
    Are there any limitations on it? Recruit Follower could only work on critters half the caster's level.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847

Flashburn said:

More Style For Mages.

Are there any limitations on it? Recruit Follower could only work on critters half the caster's level.
    Magic Resistance can block it but there's no HD limit and it bypasses mind-affecting immunities. Immunity to opcode 82 (Set AI script) will block it, but from a look at NearInfinity, nobody has that immunity except The Winged.
    lolien
    edited March 2018
    Flashburn said:

Flashburn said:

More Style For Mages.

Magic Resistance can block it but there's no HD limit and it bypasses mind-affecting immunities. Immunity to opcode 82 (Set AI script) will block it, but from a look at NearInfinity, nobody has that immunity except The Winged.
    That's pretty darn powerful. You could recruit an army of demons and golems by lowering their MR with Lower Resistance/Pierce Shield/Magic Resistance/The Answerer, as well as NPCs with customized equipment. Unless its spell level is 1-5, you could even recruit liches, and if it wasn't level 6 or 7, either, you could recruit rakshasas.

In fact, you could just chain-cast the Gate spell and use the staff to generate an army of 20 Pit Fiends. I know that you can make temporary summons into permanent party members using opcode 82, and I can only assume you can also make permanent familiars with the same opcode.

Or go with Summon (Fallen) Planetar instead and create an army of 40 planetars with instant-casting Heal spells.
    RaduzielFlashburnlolien
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    Congratulations @Flashburn ! Well done - and with the enchanter, we now have an entirely new kit in the hall of heroes!
    FlashburnsemiticgoddessJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Good stuff @Flashburn. It was nice to see Rasaad at the Throne for once as well.
    FlashburnsemiticgoddessJuliusBorisovlolien
    @Flashburn: Congratulations! I can add it to the Hall of Heroes if you post the text for it.
    FlashburnJuliusBorisovlolien