Skip to content

Beamdog streams

Comments

• voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    ITS REX MANNING DAY!!!

...Also Beamdog Stream day!

:D
    JuliusBorisovHunterRayder93
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • TheAmethystDragonTheAmethystDragon Member Posts: 86

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/02/february-23-livestream-recap.html

"It’s been a fantastic week in the NWN:EE Steam Workshop. The game is not even released on Steam fully, and yet there is a lot of custom content already available."

I'm thinking the definition of "a lot of custom content" may need to be updated when referring to Neverwinter Nights. :wink:

BalanorProontJuliusBorisovshadguy
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2018
    So any chance of the team that makes the streams to go outside and film your weather, just to show us UK wussies what real snow is like? B) Before you're too judgemental though you might like to take a look at the wind we're currently experiencing on this interactive globe.

TR
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    I prefer the casual chats, and having worked in a similar situation with streaming -- don't pressure anybody to do it if they don't want to. Coders with that POW look are tragic. No need to go all Chris Roberts and waste actual dev time or produce elaborate videos. Not unless you're planning on selling us jpgs of horses.
    Proont
    So where's the green emoji so I can express my jealousy?

TR
    voidofopinionProontZwerkules
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

So where's the green emoji so I can express my jealousy?

TR

Proont
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Nice to see the VR/VorpX question come up, made my ears turn up like a dog....and a mention of first person camera. Man I hope we can get that or mod it!
    MrDamage

Nice to see the VR/VorpX question come up, made my ears turn up like a dog....and a mention of first person camera. Man I hope we can get that or mod it!

I gotcha covered ;)
    MrDamageSkipBittman
  • jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for the latest patch but can we get some stuff for players in the next updates? Everything so far is for builders.

To people looking to buy, the game still plays virtually identically to the original. I'm an early adopter but it's getting harder to defend the game against the cynics. Come on guys, give us something!
  • tgxtgx Member Posts: 40
    Well, what about the idea of some kind of sponsored building challenges? Different themes, or maybe even things to utilize the latest additions. Then, they could be uploaded for players to have fun with.

That way, it's serving both camps. I haven't seen much in the way of building projects on here. I suspect that if there was a sub-forum where people were free to discuss this and that as they work to one kind of goal, that might get more people into learning how to build. And with more builders, more modules to play?

I'd like there to be more hands-on collaboration, just so that secrets are passed down in bite sizes. Anyway, maybe that could be some draw to players? Modules and test levels of what can be done with newer and newer builds?
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I think the bulk of updates so far have been for players but if the idea is that there is no new or updated content then I think it's more specific than simply a player update. NWN already has virtually limitless content and if someone can't be satisfied with that then I'm skeptical that any content will be enough for such a person unless it's some kind of expansion worked on for a year.

As for modding differences between 1.69 and EE there are still very few essential differences and most of them are very specific. There are still many potential projects which wouldn't be able to progress because there is no change to the essential components necessary. A broad category would be related to the lack of UI scripting and customization in much the same way that it holds up certain big features it also holds up certain big modding projects from ever getting made.
    TarotRedhandvoidofopinion
    edited March 2018
    Patience guys. NwN EE (so far) wasn't built in a day you know. In a system like NwN EE it takes many hours to make the smallest of changes without breaking anything. My guess is that the original NwN took many, many thousands of man hours and even then after all the patches, there were still bugs. BD are taking their time to eliminate all those they know about or are told about by the likes of you and me. On top of that they are adding new features to the game. As a dyed in the wool sp guy I am impatient for improvements to that side of thing but I am prepared to wait. So should you be. Remember EE is after all only in open beta as yet. That effectively is what the "Head Start" program is.

TR
    Proont
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Thanks for this.
    - interesting observation about the audio; I assume it was aimed at me, even if not terribly descriptive
    - the point about the spellbook softcoding is fine, but very specific. What about other hardcoded things such as metamagic feats?
    - the obsession with retro compatibility is maddening, especially for character customisation. Wouldn't it just be more practical to a) build instructions for older content to be understood as a default state in future versions or b) establish a deadline for updating compatibility?
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,270
    @Dark_Ansem my understanding is that (a) is happening, where appropriate. (b) isn't feasible because most of the authors are no longer active, but their work is too valuable to discard.
    Proleric said:

@Dark_Ansem my understanding is that (a) is happening, where appropriate. (b) isn't feasible because most of the authors are no longer active, but their work is too valuable to discard.

who said anything about discarding it^?
    edited March 2018
    @Dark_Ansem It is not an obsession. It was an undertaking on BD's part to maintain backwards compatibility made in order to help to get the then existing community on board. It also makes business sense in that they can say that there are already literally thousands (3000+) of pre-existing modules that work with the game, on day one of the Official launch.

TR
    ProontClisair

@Dark_Ansem It is not an obsession. It was an undertaking on BD's part to maintain backwards compatibility made in order to help to get the then existing community on board. It also makes business sense in that they can say that there are already literally thousands (3000+) of pre-existing modules that work with the game, on day one of the Official launch.

TR

So how does improving character models break modules?
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Oh, I think if the character models changed in a way that invalidated or messed up weapons and armor, holdable items, etc., that'd be a break in backwards compatibility, and not good. Upgrading them like the new Aribeth model doesn't seem to do any of that. Other models are more problematic, such as tilesets that change geometry and walkmesh, which could mess up already built areas that rely on precisely placed objects such as placeables, etc, or could make triggers inaccessible.... things like that.

-JFK

TarotRedhandtgx
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    For character models there are two general concerns I believe. Backwards compatibility in the sense that the upgrade still looks and feels the same so that there isn't a huge mismatch with content designed with eyes looking at entirely different visuals. The other concern is both a backwards and forwards compatibility issue, because changing how models are composed will change how a player can customize their character. If NWN EE only """"upgrades"""" in a similar way as NWN2 did then you should expect very few mostly low quality mods, many of which are poorly converted asset flips from other games, and then expect the general PW and mod RP experience to deteriorate as a result. Of course having rounder curves, seamless joints, high resolution textures, specular maps and other effects would all be improvements but you don't need to break customization and convert everything to skin meshes for that. The "old" system used in NWN is superior and more modern in fact because it allows for more unique variations than a static skin mesh system can produce, the reason those other games usually get away with it is because they have a limited cast and scope.

It's good that Beamdog doesn't just jump head first and throw the baby out with the bathwater when updating the content, they should take their time to do it right.
    TarotRedhandProont
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Is there a stream today? Will we see more updated models? =)
    JuliusBorisov
    Stream - of course! Models - :)
    It's Friday!
    It's Beamdog Streamday!

I have a new keyboard and now type at the speed of a 4 year old.

It's gunna be a good day!

JuliusBorisovProont
    Nice surprise there! New assets are looking gorgeous.
    JuliusBorisovvoidofopinion
    edited March 2018

Is there a stream today? Will we see more updated models? =)

We did. Lucky you. I never get what I wish for.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    New assets are looking amazing!
    voidofopinion

New assets are looking amazing!

I wasn't mistaken then!
This discussion has been closed.