Skip to content

Tenya Thermidor v1.5

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282

So it appears the link for this mod is now broken. Would anybody have a mirror?

Sorry - I was messing around installing WordPress on my site and that seems to have broken all the links so I'm having to reupload them. The new link is here. I suppose I'll have to go around fixing everywhere else if I can remember where and how to log in there.
    Zaghoultbone1lolien
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited May 2018

I tried out the mod, but unfortunately, it appears that when I accept her into my party, the game's original version of Tenya is added rather than the modded version. See screenshot below.

Notice that the original CRE file doesn't have any weapon proficiencies.

Be warned that if you give, or already gave, the modded version of Tenya weapon proficiencies, she won't be able to equip certain weapons (like flails, even though they're her starting equipment) due to her low strength.

See the below screenshot - the flail in her hand is "redded," meaning that if I were to unequip it, I wouldn't be able to equip it again.

I got around that problem by having an item upgrade mod where a dwarf in the FAI will upgrade the girdle of piercing such that it gives extra strength. :) Can't remember the name of the mod though. It costs 10,000 gold pieces plus extra ingredients so it doesn't come cheap, but due to Tenya's low strength, it is worth it.

The creators of the Tenya mod now give her a +1 staff instead of the flail which makes a lot of sense. They have also given her proficiency in staves. Even more sensible! :)
    edited May 2018
    I have a problem. I have both Tenya and Faith 'n Powers installed (and many other mods) using BWS.
    The problem is that Tenya can't use Ebba +2, the quartestaff/halberd that was in the possession of Lethe.
    She clearly should be able to, as due to an item, her strength is 22.
    PS
    Is it a halberd or a quarterstaff? If it is a halberd that could be the cause of the problem.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

I tried out the mod, but unfortunately, it appears that when I accept her into my party, the game's original version of Tenya is added rather than the modded version. See screenshot below.

Notice that the original CRE file doesn't have any weapon proficiencies.

Be warned that if you give, or already gave, the modded version of Tenya weapon proficiencies, she won't be able to equip certain weapons (like flails, even though they're her starting equipment) due to her low strength.

See the below screenshot - the flail in her hand is "redded," meaning that if I were to unequip it, I wouldn't be able to equip it again.

I got around that problem by having an item upgrade mod where a dwarf in the FAI will upgrade the girdle of piercing such that it gives extra strength. :) Can't remember the name of the mod though. It costs 10,000 gold pieces plus extra ingredients so it doesn't come cheap, but due to Tenya's low strength, it is worth it.

The creators of the Tenya mod now give her a +1 staff instead of the flail which makes a lot of sense. They have also given her proficiency in staves. Even more sensible! :)

I have a problem. I have both Tenya and Faith 'n Powers installed (and many other mods) using BWS.
    The problem is that Tenya can't use Ebba +2, the quartestaff/halberd that was in the possession of Lethe.
    She clearly should be able to, as due to an item, her strength is 22.
    PS
    Is it a halberd or a quarterstaff? If it is a halberd that could be the cause of the problem.

My problem was the result of having visited Tenya's area BEFORE installing the mod - which meant that the game had already conjured its own version of Tenya into the area before the mod could install its version.

Could that be related to the problems you're having as well?
    edited May 2018

My problem was the result of having visited Tenya's area BEFORE installing the mod - which meant that the game had already conjured its own version of Tenya into the area before the mod could install its version.

Could that be related to the problems you're having as well?

No. My games were all started AFTER installation. I suspect that my problems come from either the Tenya mod itself, Faith n' Powers, or some other mod that changes weaapons proficiencies.
    Since Ebba +2 was unusable I thought that I would edit it in near infinity.
    However it doesn't now appear to be working. :(
    It doesn't have to be working perfectly, I just want that staff to be usable by Clerics.

Can somebody either edit it themselves, or let me know how to do it. I have edited items in the past, which were useable if not perfect.
    edited June 2018
    In my current game when Tenya went up a level she should have got 3 extra level 3 slots. She only got one and LOST two level one and level 2 slots. :( This could have been caused by another mod. The game is HEAVILY modded.
    FYI I got exactly the same problem when I used to take the characters in the Candlekeep Training Room in my party. (I found a workaround so that I could do that) Upon levelling up, they lost their bonus spells. :(
    lolien
  • zelazkozelazko Member Posts: 74
    Does anyone have converted BGT version? PSU and BiG Worldf Installpack/Fixpack user should have one. Can someone upload it?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    In my current game when Tenya went up a level she should have got 3 extra level 3 slots. She only got one and LOST two level one and level 2 slots. :( This could have been caused by another mod. The game is HEAVILY modded.
    FYI I got exactly the same problem when I used to take the characters in the Candlekeep Training Room in my party. (I found a workaround so that I could do that) Upon levelling up, they lost their bonus spells. :(

Sorry for the late reply, but I've often encountered that problem when a character has too many spells slots to begin with, then the game basically "corrects" itself upon leveling up. Could that be the issue in your case?

Sorry for the late reply, but I've often encountered that problem when a character has too many spells slots to begin with, then the game basically "corrects" itself upon leveling up. Could that be the issue in your case?

Probably. I know that happened in the vanilla game when I had the training room people in my game. I don't have the game any more so cannot check.
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    I think @kjeron figured that Weido was adding those extra slots when first acquiring a Cleric. He was looking into a fix.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Necromanx2 wrote: »
    I think @kjeron figured that Weido was adding those extra slots when first acquiring a Cleric. He was looking into a fix.
    Yes, weidu updates Memorized Spell Slots when adding memorized spells with it's ADD_MEMORIZED_SPELL patch, assuming (incorrectly at least now in the EE's) that "Memorized Spell Slots" should always be at least as much as the creatures "Total Memorized Spells".
    Any bonus spell slots a creature has (from WIS for priests or from items) do not affect the creatures "Memorized Spell Slots" on the creature file itself.
    The fix is to simply read the value altering their spells, then rewrite the value afterwards.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • zelazkozelazko Member Posts: 74
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60084-bwpv18-released/page-15

Slight conflict between Jarls BGT Adventure Pack 0.7.0 and BGT converted Tenya Thermidor. Not a lot of people will end up with it as it requires conversion but info still should be available for all to read about.
  • whatnowhuhwhatnowhuh Member Posts: 6
    Great work on the Mod!
    This was the first NPC mod I've tried and thought it was done really well (only played BGEE not SOD). I didn't encounter any bugs or problems but I also didn't use her special spells or the gear her quest line gives (other than the water elemental dish, which worked fine). It was a great idea to use an existing character from the story. I'm not sure if others have done this, but hopefully more follow suit with some of the other more memorable folk.

edited August 2019
    I have a problem with either the mod or faith n powers.

A priest of Umberlee cannot use Ebba. Now that seems ridiculous considering the fact that Ebba is supposed to be THE weapon for clerics of Umberlee according to the description.

Faith and Powers prevents clerics of Umberlee using Halberds.

One answer is to make Abba into a quarterstaff. I think that is what it used to be.

I believe that the authors of the two mods need to talk and find a mutually agreeable solution if possible.

A fighter/cleric can use it.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    It would take me all of five minutes to tell you which mod is responsible for her unable to use it, I'll look at it when I get home.

However, I strongly disagree the mod authors need to talk to each other. A note simply needs to be made of their incompatibility. This mod author is inactive, so it isn't going to happen, and sometimes you just have different visions. While ideal, not every author should be held to the same design when building their own creative work.
    Wise_Grimwaldleeux
    I am sorry to hear that the Tenya mod author is inactive. I really like the mod. Well written and enjoyable to play from a player's point of view. Of course I know nothing about how good the writer is technically. That is beyond my capacity to judge.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    It's definitely not this mod after finally looking at this, so if this weapon is being over-ridden, then you would have to blame faith and powers.
    Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Wow, I like this mod idea - even if I'm late to the game. My parties normally kills anyone remotely associated with Umberlee instinctually, but this... this could make things more interesting.
    Maurvir wrote: »
    Wow, I like this mod idea - even if I'm late to the game. My parties normally kills anyone remotely associated with Umberlee instinctually, but this... this could make things more interesting.

It does. It might be worthwhile remembering that not all worshippers of evil gods are evil themselves. That is true in RL too.
    Maurvir wrote: »

It does. It might be worthwhile remembering that not all worshippers of evil gods are evil themselves. That is true in RL too.

Oh, I know, and I really overstated that party position anyway. My parties don't usually go out of their way to take out priestesses of Umberlee. It's just that, knowing they are evil or aligned with an evil god, they don't really worry about the situation going south. If there is a way to talk out a conflict, they will, but if it comes to blows? Yeah, not sorry.

The idea of both fostering and depending on one to be the party cleric would definitely require a change in thinking where this is concerned. Given my goals of shaking up my RP style in this next run, I find this highly appealing.

In RL, I get this as well. I don't hate anyone, even if I dislike the kind of person they seem to be, and I wouldn't wish serious harm on them even if I did feel they were "evil".
    Wise_Grimwald
    When I was writing Tenya I wasn't thinking in terms of her being 'good' or 'evil', and more just in terms of her being a child who has had quite a harsh life up to now. She is a priestess of Umberlee, because her mother was and that's literally all she really knows and understands.

As a child Tenya mostly just acts on her feelings, good or bad, with far less thought to the consequences than most adults. If she's hurt or angry she lashes out (of course she's more powerful than real children so her tantrums can be very destructive). But when she's calm she can be kind and quite generous. As I've mentioned before, where I to have continued this mod in SoD or BG2 it would be up to the player to decide which behaviors get reinforced and how she continues to develop. Unfortunately I've a lot else going on right now.
    leeuxWise_Grimwald
    You aren't kidding about being powerful. I haven't written the journal entries on it yet, but the party brought her back to Beregost after dumping Xzar and Monty. They figured it would be a good idea to earn some coin and opted to work for Silke. Sirene wasn't having any of that, so Silke turned on the party. At some point, Tenya cast a water spell that killed everyone in the area! (I'm not sure if it would have affected the party, as they had taken up positions behind Tenya and Sirene to riddle her with arrows) Amazingly, this didn't cause a massive rep drop. I'm trying to do a minimal reload run, so the party just whistled and moved on, but that was a massive warning.

In all seriousness, she is a bit OP for a low-level starting party, IMHO. The half-fight with her at the beginning of her original quest isn't even close to being a gating function. My MC sorcerer was able to get her HP low enough to call her bluff as a level 1 caster.

Otherwise, I like her character. As expected, she has been a challenge, but a good one. I definitely get the abused, neglected kid vibe, so I'm torn. On the one hand, she is ripping through battles like sushi through a sumo. On the other hand, I really want to see how her story arc turns out.
    Coutelier
    edited October 2019
    It's been so long since I've played the game I don't even remember what spells she has. I remember she has innate abilities that are mostly just mephit attacks and water spells, gaining more powerful ones as she levels up - this was all to try and compensate for the fact she has a low strength for a cleric. I may have overcompensated by just a tad. I was probably also thinking though that most players wouldn't come across her until they're heading to the city for the main quest (since you have to go through the Ankheg fields). I've got to be honest though, she wasn't really conceived of as a serious character for doing challenge runs in the game.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited October 2019
    Please keep in mind, I actually like the mod. She is an interesting character, and having her along will definitely make things interesting.

I also grant that, had I not already known exactly where she was, I probably would not have taken a level 1 party that far north so early in the game. Of course, I also know that you can bypass the ankhegs by walking along the shoreline - they won't pop up that close to the water. I suppose that bit of metagame knowledge makes the difference, as it reduces the risk of running into them to zero. (just make sure you stay on the pebbly bit and don't stray onto the grass)

Of course, I remember as a very new player going up there out of curiosity, and when I realized you could get 500 gold per shell, attempting to farm the things. I had mostly level 3 party wiping them out in order to buy better gear. So, while in the normal course of a game you won't encounter her until chapter 5, there are no technical barriers preventing it.

At this point, I imagine you are "done" with the mod, and that's fine. I still feel like she is a worthwhile, and usable, NPC. However, I may use EEKeeper to drop her stats a bit so that she doesn't completely unbalance the party. If you do alter her, I'd suggest starting her out as a 2nd or 3rd level cleric, with a leveling script to boost her if she's found later in the game.
    Where I to have gone back into it, I might have reduced some of her abilities a bit. OTOH though, because she is a very young character some people seem to prefer or at least feel more comfortable bringing her along because she is a bit OP - clearly she doesn't need to be watched over and protected all the time :smile:
    Also if you do the errand she eventually asks you to do, you unlock the ability to use a very powerful item that may already be in her possession...
    That item is certainly powerful. All you need to make her uber-powerful is something to increase strength.