Skip to content

Suggestions Thread: Game Mechanics (scripts, spells, feats, combat)

Comments

• jglvz256jglvz256 Member Posts: 52
    Is it just me or do Grenadelike weapons (eg acid flask, alchemist's fire) only ever do one point of damage to each target when they're supposed to do 1d4 or d6 or whatever? It's actually the same in NWN2 as well if it's a bug or am I misunderstanding something somewhere?
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited May 2018
    @jglvz256 Yes, it is intentional. This is the function the grenades use in particular.
    // * Does a damage type grenade (direct or splash on miss) void DoGrenade(int nDirectDamage, int nSplashDamage, int vSmallHit, int vRingHit, int nDamageType, float fExplosionRadius , int nObjectFilter, int nRacialType=RACIAL_TYPE_ALL)Alchemist Fire has nSplashDamage set to 1, and I presume if all the rest do 1 then they have it set too. I think its rather silly design, but eh.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    jglvz256 said:

Is it just me or do Grenadelike weapons (eg acid flask, alchemist's fire) only ever do one point of damage to each target when they're supposed to do 1d4 or d6 or whatever? It's actually the same in NWN2 as well if it's a bug or am I misunderstanding something somewhere?

it deals 1d4 / 1d6 to the target they are directed to - but if you throw it at location, none monster gets hit for this damage and only splash damage (1) will affect all targets in AoE
    JFKJuliusBorisov
    Ok, thanks. That bothered me for years. :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2018
    I noticed that I am not able to have Epic Spells at level 12(fighter) 18(wizard) any more, was this a bug previously? because it says you need 21 level and able to cast 9th level spells, and the proper amount of points in spell craft. at level 12/18 fighter wizard you have all that, assuming the 21 level restriction is character levels not class levels, which the way its worded it seems it is character levels, if this should be class levels the description should say so (in my opinion), as well the automatic spells feats have the same description for requirements, but i am able to select the automatic spells (automatic still spell), this description needs to be changed or the feats should work the same (be able to select them the same way).

edit: on the wiki it specifies that for epic spells it should be caster level, and auto spell are character level. perhaps the description needs an update?
    Post edited by D3V11_ on
    pscythe
    D3V11_ said:

I noticed that I am not able to have Epic Spells at level 12(fighter) 18(wizard) any more, was this a bug previously? because it says you need 21 level and able to cast 9th level spells, and the proper amount of points in spell craft. at level 12/18 fighter wizard you have all that, assuming the 21 level restriction is character levels not class levels, which the way its worded it seems it is character levels, if this should be class levels the description should say so (in my opinion), as well the automatic spells feats have the same description for requirements, but i am able to select the automatic spells (automatic still spell), this description needs to be changed or the feats should work the same (be able to select them the same way).

edit: on the wiki it specifies that for epic spells it should be caster level, and auto spell are character level. perhaps the description needs an update?

You had community patch installed? It is not possible without it, yes the description is misleading, normally you must have 21lvl wiz/sorc/druid/cleric.
    JuliusBorisovD3V11_
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Zwerkules said:

I haven't seen anything else that covers it partially.
    They both probably fit best into the "Engine" category. They are about animations too, but it is not so much about the graphics than about what is done with the animations.

https://trello.com/c/YTfnzlZt/188-make-animated-meshes-fade-away-when-tilefade-is-activated

https://trello.com/c/G30oqfW7/189-allow-tiles-animloops-to-be-turned-on-and-off-by-scripts
    ZwerkulesProontdunahan
  • Drow_ArrowDrow_Arrow Member Posts: 73
    So i think it would be really good to have Throwing Weapons (Darts, Throwing Axes, etc) be Dual Wieldable, it's logical as you throw them with one hand that someone is skilled enough to throw two weapons.

TL:DR:

- Enable Dual Wielding for Throwing Weapons
    RifleLeroyProontpscythe
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2018
    What about rogue cunning of the rogue class?
    http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Rogue's_cunning
    Is beamdog planning to keep that spell disabled by default?
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited May 2018
    Greetings Beamdog NWN community,

I just wanted to know if the scripting issue currently present in the Prelude of the original Neverwinter Nights game has been resolved in the Enhanced Edition before I submit a bug report. In the Divine Magic Training area of the Neverwinter Academy, Ansel is teaching Tabitha how to use her Turn Undead Ability. The script is intended to run in a loop where he summons a skeleton, and she promptly destroys it. However, Tabitha fails to destroy the skeleton while Ansel continues to bring more into existence. During a run through of the Prelude, I counted 17 summoned skeletons after killing the weak goblins in the room.

Also, I would like to know if my suggestions regarding the Weapon Master PrC with Unarmed Strike and Fighters having Intimidate as a class skill are partially related to any cards already on the Trello board. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.

Greetings Beamdog NWN community,

I just wanted to know if the scripting issue currently present in the Prelude of the original Neverwinter Nights game has been resolved in the Enhanced Edition before I submit a bug report. In the Divine Magic Training area of the Neverwinter Academy, Ansel is teaching Tabitha how to use her Turn Undead Ability. The script is intended to run in a loop where he summons a skeleton, and she promptly destroys it. However, Tabitha fails to destroy the skeleton while Ansel continues to bring more into existence. During a run through of the Prelude, I counted 17 summoned skeletons after killing the weak goblins in the room.

This bug was caused by community patch in past, while this should be fixed now are you sure it is not caused by any custom content you installed?
    edited July 2021
    Mr. Shadooow,

First and foremost, let me say it is an honor to make your acquaintance on this forum. I am positive it is not caused by any custom content because there is none. I installed the community patch following a fresh install of NWN1 with both expansions and running the 1.69 critical rebuild. Installed and updated in these steps:

1) Install Neverwinter Nights
    2) Install Shadows of Undrentide
    3) Install Hordes of the Underdark
    4) Run nwnenglish1.69hotuupdate.exe
    5) Update binkw32.dll files by renaming old file to binkw32_ati.dll and extracting patched binkw32.dll to Neverwinter Nights install directory
    6) Run Community Patch 1.71 Final

Let it be known that I have not installed NWN:EE as of yet. I am currently playing my retail copy of NWN1 that I bought back in 2002 from Sam's Club, the Shadows of Undrentide expansion I purchased from Electronics Boutique/EB Games before it was taken over by Gamestop, and the Hordes of the Underdark expansion I purchased from Best Buy. I still use the folding 5-disc sleeve that came with my copy of HotU to store my game discs. Just thought I'd throw in a little nostalgia there.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
  • SagilSagil Member Posts: 6
    Additions:
    • Let clients automatically download & install required hak packs when connecting to a server.
    • Make the effects of combat modes scriptable. E.g. I might want to change power attack to give a +10 damage bonus while wielding a 2-handed weapon, increase the bonus provided by dirty fighting, or allow dwarven defenders to move (at reduced speed) in defensive stance.
    • Make bonus stacking rules more flexible. For AC there's armor bonus, shield bonus, deflection & dodge, with only dodge stacking. For other bonuses it would be great if scripters could optionally assign a stackingType for each bonus which prevents stacking with other bonuses of the same type. E.g. I might want resistance from feats to stack with everything (items, spells), and prevent stacking of bull's strength and aura of vitality.
    • Provide script function for dealing multiple damage types in one go (like weapon attacks do). E.g. I might want spells like flamestrike to show a single damage message (on screen & in combat log), or simulate weapon attacks in a custom whirlwind script without generating massive spam.
    Fixes / Changes:
    • ArcSpellLvlMod (and DivSpellLvlMod) should not just increase spells per day, but also spells known and caster level.
    • EffectDamage should use nDamagePower argument as described (bugfix).
    Other:
    • Allow Aurora toolset to run natively under linux and OS/X.
    RifleLeroyDerpCitySnafulatorDrow_Arrow
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited May 2018
    Can we get 2 new column for feats.2da or spell.2da, to tag using x feat/spell will not take you out of stealth / detect mode. I have a custom examine system that I want to require action but not take you out of detect mode. I'm sure this be nice for other systems too.
    Post edited by ShadowM on
    RifleLeroy
  • SnafulatorSnafulator Member Posts: 27
    Sagil said:

Additions:

• Let clients automatically download & install required hak packs when connecting to a server.
    • Make the effects of combat modes scriptable. E.g. I might want to change power attack to give a +10 damage bonus while wielding a 2-handed weapon, increase the bonus provided by dirty fighting, or allow dwarven defenders to move (at reduced speed) in defensive stance.
    • Make bonus stacking rules more flexible. For AC there's armor bonus, shield bonus, deflection & dodge, with only dodge stacking. For other bonuses it would be great if scripters could optionally assign a stackingType for each bonus which prevents stacking with other bonuses of the same type. E.g. I might want resistance from feats to stack with everything (items, spells), and prevent stacking of bull's strength and aura of vitality.
    • Provide script function for dealing multiple damage types in one go (like weapon attacks do). E.g. I might want spells like flamestrike to show a single damage message (on screen & in combat log), or simulate weapon attacks in a custom whirlwind script without generating massive spam.
    Fixes / Changes:
    • ArcSpellLvlMod (and DivSpellLvlMod) should not just increase spells per day, but also spells known and caster level.
    Other:
    Cannot upvote these suggestions enough.
  • Serenityx3Serenityx3 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2018
    I had an idea for Whips, Giving them a bit of range, So you would be able to whip enemys from behind an animal companion or henchman. Since whips have low damage over the rest of the weapons, they should have something to incentivize people to use them! =)
    Proont
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    With the modification of racialtypes.2da perhaps it would be useful to add a column for base type so that implementations of new races can refer back to the correct row for things like favored enemy. I'm assuming that it's based on row number. Similarly it would be useful to have a separate function for getting the actual type of the creature as well as the race.

For example GetRacialType(object oCreature) returns the actual row number of the race, while GetCreatureBaseType(object oCreature) might return a row number referenced by a BaseType column in racialtypes.2da from the creature's own racialtypes row number. NWN2 had an implementation where they separated this out into two 2da files, where racialtypes.2da represented the actual base type of the creature and racialsubtypes.2da represented the actual creature race with a reference back to what the original type is. I think a column in the same file that maps the rows to their base row would achieve the same kind of logic.

Adding a similar base type check in the cls_pres_* 2da files for prestige classes would also let ppl flag groups of related races or subraces as fulfilling the requirements.

A final thought on the subject is adding an ECL or LA column to the racialtypes.2da file with an appropriate GetRacialLevelAdjustment(object oCreature) function so it's easier to take into account in custom experience scripts.
    DerpCity
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    raz651 said:

Probably for the same reason summons last for 24hrs instead of 6 seconds per round.

Xorina said:

Parry [is not] part of D&D.

So what's it doing in there if it's not authentic rules?

Answer from the neverwinter nights manual pg. 80

"Note: Parry is a Neverwinter Nights skill. It is not a part of the
    Dungeons & Dragons® game experience but is a necessary part of
    the Aurora Engine technology."
    Ah I see. Is there an argument to be made on Parry skill being disabled on difficulty slider on "D&D 3.0 Hardcore rules"?

I'd love a revised 3D view option of removing blocking scenery directly in front of the camera but built everywhere else, this would I image require more GPU muscle.
    DerpCity
    edited May 2018

Zwerkules said:

I don't know if there is a reason why animated meshes can not fade away when tilefade is activated. It is strange to see the top of a windmill fade away while the windmill vanes remain.
    To make the placing of items easier for builders it is a good idea to make the foliage of trees tilefade, but this is only possible if the foliage is not linked to the tile's animation node; however if it is not linked to the animation node, emitters and other animated objects (creatures, doors, etc) are not rendered behind the foliage.

Yes! the windmill vanes being just wood frames is strange.

Perhaps there could be an additional toggle of tree foliage on/off in similar way of full/fast grass? Even make it move in the breeze?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

So i think it would be really good to have Throwing Weapons (Darts, Throwing Axes, etc) be Dual Wieldable, it's logical as you throw them with one hand that someone is skilled enough to throw two weapons.

TL:DR:

- Enable Dual Wielding for Throwing Weapons

https://trello.com/c/S2uvqx0P/192-enable-dual-wielding-for-throwing-weapons
    Sagil said:

Additions:

Fixes / Changes:
    Other:
    Aren't these on the Input board already (a few of them are on the Roadmap even? (and bugs should be reported on the bug tracker).
    ProontPrince_Raymond
    edited May 2018
    Xorina said:

I'd love a revised 3D view option of removing blocking scenery directly in front of the camera but built everywhere else, this would I image require more GPU muscle.

No responses for this? This would be cool.

The character is always in the centre of the screen so the game would just need to check which direction the objects are, relative to the camera or something, no?
    Xorina
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Suggestion:

When a Monk is in Flurry of blows mode, have the Attack bonus UI in the character sheet show the additional attack. For example, at level 10 you have 3 attacks per round unarmed. When you initiate Flurry of blows, have the 4th attack added and shown in the sheet.

Currently, the attack bonus penalty is applied and reflected in the existing attacks in the UI, but the free additional attack is not added to the UI.
    ProontPrince_Raymond
    edited September 2022

Suggestion:

When a Monk is in Flurry of blows mode, have the Attack bonus UI in the character sheet show the additional attack. For example, at level 10 you have 3 attacks per round unarmed. When you initiate Flurry of blows, have the 4th attack added and shown in the sheet.

Currently, the attack bonus penalty is applied and reflected in the existing attacks in the UI, but the free additional attack is not added to the UI.

In addition to this, the extra attack granted to a character by Haste (both the spell and the item property) currently doesn't display as an added attack on the character sheet either. Although, the icon is displayed in the "Effects" section of the character sheet and next to the character's portrait in the upper-right corner of the screen. The character is granted the appropriate number of attacks, so this adjustment would be nothing more than cosmetic.

While we're on the subject of attack bonuses, it would seem there is a combat mechanics issue stemming from any number of combinations of Attacks of Opportunity; a Monk's Flurry of Blows; the Circle Kick, Cleave and Great Cleave Feats; and Haste causing the UI to calculate attack bonuses incorrectly. Let's use the same 10th level Monk and put her in the room with many fire beetles in the Silver Sails Trading Co. located in the Docks District of Neverwinter. Let's assume the player selected all the aforementioned feats for this character during the leveling process. Let's also assume the 10th level Monk is using Unarmed Strike with a Haste-granting item equipped. Now, she activates Flurry of Blows and initiates combat with the fire beetle swarm. Since these are all 1-2 Hit Dice creatures, it's safe to say she will kill them very easily. As the fire beetles are skittering about, one of them provokes an attack of opportunity from the Monk. This is done at her full attack bonus -2 due to FoB. That attack hits, killing the first fire beetle which then passively activates her Circle Kick/Great Cleave attacks. Here's where it gets weird: With the exception of Great Cleave, all her remaining attacks for the round will be done at a cumulative -5 penalty in addition the monk's -3 unarmed attack penalty and the -2 penalty from FoB. This includes all her extra attacks granted by Circle Kick, FoB and Haste. By the time she has reached her final attack of the round, her attack bonus is negative. I remember first encountering this issue back when BioWare released Patch 1.68 for Neverwinter Nights. Patch 1.67 was the last support patch that did not have this issue. Would it be possible for me to upload it somewhere for someone to examine its code? I have already submitted a bug report regarding this issue; I just thought I'd give everyone else here on the forums a "Heads up!".

Thank you for reading. Happy, healthy (both mentally and physically) gaming to all.
    ProontDerpCitybigdogchris
    edited November 2018
    Suggestion: New spell and magical item property, both from the "Magic of Faerûn" source book.

Spell: Weapon of Impact
    Item Property: Impact

Doubles the threat range of a bludgeoning weapon.
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    Suggestion: softcode Crippling Strike.

Goal: we'd like to rebalance the duration.

Background: We're an action mod and like to balance things under the principle that "what's good for the goose is good for the gander", (ie mobs can abuse anything PCs can), but we don't currently allow Crip Strike on mobs as it is considered overpowered. There are other exceptions (some whole core classes don't show up as NPCs/mobs), but this one came up in conversation recently.

-Dave
    DerpCityRifleLeroyProont
  • SagilSagil Member Posts: 6
    Add a scripting function to get values of effects (e.g. attack or damage bonus). For itemproperties this can be done indirectly via GetItemPropertyCostTableValue, but for effects there's no simple workaround (that I know of).
    ShadowM
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336

*snip*

In addition to this, the extra attack granted to a character by Haste (both the spell and the item property) currently doesn't display as an added attack on the character sheet either.

I came back here just to say the very same thing. Thanks.

Prince_Raymond
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Can we have a script hook for when a Healing Kit is used and for when the last projectile in a stack in the projectile slot is fired?
    BalanorProontShadowMMelkior