Skip to content

The 2.5 Update Beta is HERE! Test, play, let us know what you think!

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I'd rather it just followed the initial target again, so that it remained consistent with other spells in the game.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    however that makes it inconsistent with itself
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Lightning Bolt is not a single target spell, so it doesn't make sense to have it follow a specific target. It could also be annoying if the target moved in such a way that it hits friendly targets as well.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Thels said:

Lightning Bolt is not a single target spell, so it doesn't make sense to have it follow a specific target. It could also be annoying if the target moved in such a way that it hits friendly targets as well.

Or if the target moved behind a wall, it would pass through that wall to hit the target, but then bounce off further walls. Not following any target is far more in line with its intention.

The spell does need to hit its intended target when appropriate though, which currently it doesn't. The worst offender occurs when you cast the spell at a target within ~5ft, it almost never hits them.
    I've found at least one way to fix this with the currently available mechanics, but it results in it always hitting the primary target at least once, even if they have clearly moved out of its path.
    edited May 2018
    It is a single target spell in that it targets a single character—you can't target the ground with a Lightning Bolt. It should work similarly to Agannazar's Scorcher or Hold Person, which are also character-targeted spells that have areas of effect. Both of those spells follow the initial target. Even Hold Person does, which has a slow-moving projectile.

It's also worth noting that Baldur's Gate is a CRPG, not an action-RPG. You can't avoid spells cast at you by moving behind walls, and that's intended.
    Post edited by Adul on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Adul Oh sure. NOW you want to break from "how it worked in vanilla".
    @ThacoBell I don't know what you mean. I'm actually arguing for vanilla behavior.
    @Adul Except that you aren't.
    kjeron said:

Adul said:

1) Sometimes the projectile passes through characters without hitting them, especially on the initial path (before hitting any walls). This is not always the case, but it happens often enough where it's greatly affecting the spell's usefulness.

It needs a larger width, currently it's 0.
    Adul said:

2) The Lightning Bolt projectile now does not follow the person it was aimed at, and instead flies in a straight line towards the target. This makes it possible to dodge the projectile at greater distances if you move perpendicular to its path. This is inconsistent with how other character-targeted spells work in the game, all of which follow the target and are undodgable.

3) If the projectile hits a wall before it gets to the initial target, it will often reflect off or get destroyed, leaving the target unharmed. This, once again, is inconsistent with how other character-targeted spells work in the game, all of which will pass through walls unhindered, and always hit the target.

This is how it's supposed to function, and did before IWDEE was released, where the projectile was externalized but the functionality wasn't, so was given a placeholder projectile in the interim.
    It's even in the description:
    The bolt begins at a range and height decided by the caster and streaks outward in a direct line from the casting wizard. If the Lightning Bolt intersects with a wall, it will bounce until it reaches its full length.
    edited May 2018
    @ThacoBell I'm pretty sure the projectile followed the target in vanilla. But feel free to test it if you think I'm wrong.

Edit: Just tested it in vBG1 at Silke. The projectile followed me.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited May 2018
    @Thacobell - I corrected myself in a later post, it did follow the initial target, but afterwords continued on in a straight/rebounding manner. But unless you're hasted and actively trying to avoid it, it wasn't really noticable.

In the BGEE v2.5 beta, the spell is still using a broken AoE projectile, it's not perfect, but at least some aspects of its function have been fixed in 2.5:
    - It now bounces multiple times.
    - It no longer bounces off creatures.

It still needs to hit targets it should hit (width), and it needs to hit the initial target when very close.

The IWDEE v2.5 release didn't even get some of these fixes, as it's still using a functional AoE projectile.
    Sigh fair enough.
    kjeron said:

In the BGEE v2.5 beta, the spell is still using a broken AoE projectile, it's not perfect, but at least some aspects of its function have been fixed in 2.5:
    - It now bounces multiple times.
    - It no longer bounces off creatures.

I've done some more testing with the spell in vanilla BG1, and what's interesting is so far it looks like neither of those issues actually appeared there. The spell seems to work pretty much perfectly, as far as I can tell. The usual issues with Lightning Bolt must have started to crop up sometime when the BG2 engine was developed, or possibly afterward.
    imho you should be able to target the ground with this spell
    edited May 2018
    bob_veng said:

imho you should be able to target the ground with this spell

But that would also mean that it'd be much more difficult to hit moving targets with it, as the area of effect is quite narrow, and you'd have to predict the location of the target(s) at the end of the casting.

In its previous iterations the spell at least had the guarantee of hitting the initial target. That isn't currently the case.
    In the BG2:EE beta I have a game where I'm currently in the Asylum, and it looks like the dream sequence that gives the Slayer Change special ability doesn't trigger when it's supposed to (when sleeping after having finished the Bodhi fight in the room with the minotaur statue). No matter how much I sleep the dream doesn't happen.

Was anything changed regarding this dream event?
    does it trigger later?
    edited May 2018
    bob_veng said:

does it trigger later?

I've yet to find out, but I'll check back here if it does.

Edit: It does indeed happen later. Looks like it's been delayed to trigger after the Irenicus fight in Spellhold.
    Post edited by Adul on
    Right, so rather than fixing the long standing bug, make it a feature. The next time anyone complains about a change because "Core BG1 didn't work that way", I'll know they are full of crap.
    Hey, what did I do? :anguished:
    @Adul General rant, not directed at any specific user, just a common excuse people have been using to prevent bugfixes and better implementation in the EEs.

The description tells you it doubles apr right where it says, "This oil increases the movement speed and capabilities of the imbiber by 100%", an increase of 100% is double. And it being implemented as haste (which doubled your apr at the time) is inconsequential, because it did what it stated.

This is the original implementation of the oil of speed in core BG1. So when people complained that it was a betrayal of the core game when Beamdog fixed the error in the 2.5 beta, THAT WAS FLAT OUT LIES. Its not about "staying true to the spirit of the original game" otherwise the fix would have been praised for bringing the EE MORE IN LINE WITH THE ORIGINAL. Its about enforcing a certain playstyle on the entire community, because a portion of the playerbase can't let go of nostalgia. Bugs can't be fixed because it doesn't match someones memory of an "ideal" Baldur's Gate that never even really existed. We can't like the new npcs, or the new expansion, or the new UI, because its a "betrayal" and "not the same" or even better, "worse only because its new". Nostalgia is TOXIC and Beamdog should stop bending over backwards to cater to it.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Adul said:

welcome to the club.

Why the club? It's such an inferior weapon.
    Adul said:

As for the argument that bug fixes were essentially cancelled because of nostalgia, that's nonsense. The bug here was an inconsistency between the Oil of Speed's description and mechanics. Changing either of the two to be consistent with the other fixes the bug. The bug is fixed either way.

that's true. i hope everyone understands that.

• rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited May 2018

O
    The fix is to change the description, which can be based on the original BG2 description:

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37322
    I guess it is a minor issue not dealing with 2.5 patches. Nevertheless it has been submitted. What about my ticket dealing wrong item behaviors as well?
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/36456
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37211

Post edited by rede9 on
    bob_veng said:

Adul said:

As for the argument that bug fixes were essentially cancelled because of nostalgia, that's nonsense. The bug here was an inconsistency between the Oil of Speed's description and mechanics. Changing either of the two to be consistent with the other fixes the bug. The bug is fixed either way.

that's true. i hope everyone understands that.

Except that this fix isn't consistent with original functionality.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    ThacoBell said:

Except that this fix isn't consistent with original functionality.

If I understand correctly, the potion works like in BG2. There are other cases where things were working differently between BG1 and BG2 and the Enhanced Edition often choose the BG2 behavior because the engine is based on the BG2 one.