Skip to content

The 2.5 Update Beta is HERE! Test, play, let us know what you think!

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @JuliusBorisov Would there be a way to let users enable named npc color changes without also enabling standard uniforms? The assassin's and bandits don't make sense having recognizable uniforms, but the colors changes on the named npcs are VERY TASTY.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    There's a point system? :anguished:
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

There're agrees with the quoted post from people with over 11 000 points. That's certainly not the factor to judge options on.

Balquo said:

The uniforms will ship with 2.5. They just won't be attached to anyone (except for the Flaming Fist.) So a very simple mod could attach them easily.

Souds like a win option.
    But Drizzt and Cadderly, for example, are not done by uniforms. The color selections in the CREs are changed.

Is it just the changes via "uniXXX.itm" that are being backed out, or will color revisions applied to CRE files be backed out too?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    The colours are applied to the item. When the item is equipped the colours apply to the CRE file.

In this case, the item has just been removed from the CRE file.

Which means the colours are still applied to the ITM. If added back by a future mod, for example, then it will behave like it does in the current beta.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited May 2018
    @JuliusBorisov
    Why should it be available via mod and not officially? I think that this could be a new feature that players can turn on/off in the Options menu.

The colours are applied to the item. When the item is equipped the colours apply to the CRE file.

In this case, the item has just been removed from the CRE file.

Which means the colours are still applied to the ITM. If added back by a future mod, for example, then it will behave like it does in the current beta.

Actually, in the cases of Gorion, Drizzt, and Cadderly (and maybe others), the color changes are not done via an item. The colors in the CRE files were edited.

Are these non-uniform item color changes being reverted as well?
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    edited May 2018
    lefreut said:

bleusteel said:

I mean no offense to anyone, Julius, but @AstroBryGuy has nearly 10,000 visits and 6,300 points. His opinion carries more weight. IMHO :smile:

@JuliusBorisov has even more points, we should all listen to him :p
    Absolutely! It just struck me as odd that a mod would post saying something like “everyone has opinions.” Of course they do, that’s why we’re here. Why the need to remind @AstroBryGuy of this? Have respect for our veterans :smile:

On topic: I’m happy to see the unique NPCs getting more flair.
    @JuliusBorisov Wait, I'm getting confused now (again). If the Drizzt change wasn't part of the uniform feature, where did the greenish Drizzt sprite come from? I met him in the beta yesterday and he was very green indeed—I thought that was part of the same feature that introduced the uniforms.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I admit I might be misunderstanding the intent of pointing out that different people have different views.

Sorry for wasting everyone’s time. Happy thoughts to all :smile:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Look at him in 2.3:

@AstroBryGuy Drizzt was not a part of that feature change.

Ok. @Adul had mentioned Gorion and Drizzt (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/979279/#Comment_979279), and you said the reversion was a "full reversion", so I assumed that meant undoing the changes to FR cameo NPCs like Drizzt and Cadderly.

On a similar note, are any of the content additions for BGEE v2.5 being considered for reversion? (e.g., Branwen & Tranzig, Kivan & Tazok, the Mysterious Vial, etc..) If any of those changes are being reverted to "BG1 canon" state, it would be good to know before I invest time in adapting BG1NPC to the new content in the beta.
    No plans for reverting that.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Now I’m confused. I had assumed that these new uniform colors would not be applied in BGII either. Only shipped with the patch so that they could be used by modders if desired.

Now I’m confused. I had assumed that these new uniform colors would not be applied in BGII either. Only shipped with the patch so that they could be used by modders if desired.

Correct. Why BGII, though? We've been speaking about BG:EE only.

This was a reply about

any of the content additions for BGEE v2.5 being considered for reversion? (e.g., Branwen & Tranzig, Kivan & Tazok, the Mysterious Vial, etc..)

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I read the earlier post wrong. However I’m relieved to know that they won’t be a mandatory addition to BGII either. :)

Thanks! Glad to hear that!
  • StarhowlStarhowl Member Posts: 39
    Adul said:

Starhowl said:

Is there any info on the ETA of the update having been released in a form so I can continue my save game on SoD?

If you don't want to wait, you could try to run your save in SoD v2.3. You might run into some issues, but generally the IE games are very lenient in terms of savegame compatibility between different games and versions.
    And how am I gonna run my SoD-save if the client only shows main-game saves anymore due to beta-status?
    Starhowl said:

Adul said:

Starhowl said:

Is there any info on the ETA of the update having been released in a form so I can continue my save game on SoD?

If you don't want to wait, you could try to run your save in SoD v2.3. You might run into some issues, but generally the IE games are very lenient in terms of savegame compatibility between different games and versions.
    And how am I gonna run my SoD-save if the client only shows main-game saves anymore due to beta-status?
    You'd need to disable the beta and let the Steam client reinstall 2.3, which is the current stable version where SoD is available.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    Dev6 said:

Wait... How can you give an opinion of you're @voidofopinion ? :open_mouth:

I am void, but I am of many opinions.

;)
    edited May 2018
    I've noticed some inconsistencies with the Lightning Bolt spell in the 2.5 beta. The spell's mechanics seem to have been reworked, which has resulted a number of new problems:

1) Sometimes the projectile passes through characters without hitting them, especially on the initial path (before hitting any walls). This is not always the case, but it happens often enough where it's greatly affecting the spell's usefulness.

2) The Lightning Bolt projectile now does not follow the person it was aimed at, and instead flies in a straight line towards the target. This makes it possible to dodge the projectile at greater distances if you move perpendicular to its path. This is inconsistent with how other character-targeted spells work in the game, all of which follow the target and are undodgable.

3) If the projectile hits a wall before it gets to the initial target, it will often reflect off or get destroyed, leaving the target unharmed. This, once again, is inconsistent with how other character-targeted spells work in the game, all of which will pass through walls unhindered, and always hit the target.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i agree that twitch-dodging is undesirable in IE, because it is already abstracted as saving throws

since lighthing bolt is such a highly spatially-conditioned spell, i think it should always bounce off walls and not just after hitting the first target

about it behaving as other projectiles (homing in on the target), i've never actually noticed it. i thought it always flew in a straight line
    edited May 2018
    I'm certain the projectile used to follow the initial target before the initial hit, and it's always worked that way, since at least vanilla BG2. Now I can just easily dodge Lighning Bolts, and that was never the case before this patch.
    bob_veng said:

since lighthing bolt is such a highly spatially-conditioned spell, i think it should always bounce off walls and not just after hitting the first target

The problem with that is that it's used as traps in a lot of tight corridors (especially in BG1), and the fact that the projectile will now be destroyed at the first bend means that it's not going to work a good portion of the time.
    I've also noticed an inconsistency in the text feedback between the current BG:EE and BG2:EE betas: the text message that prints out whenever the party gains or loses an item as a result of a script now lists the name of the item in BG2:EE, but not in BG:EE.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Adul said:

I'm certain the projectile used to follow the initial target before the initial hit, and it's always worked that way, since at least vanilla BG2. Now I can just easily dodge Lighning Bolts, and that was never the case before this patch.

So it did, also looks like it traveled faster so that it was less of an issue. Giving it some width and speed would prevent most dodging.
    Adul said:

The problem with that is that it's used as traps in a lot of tight corridors (especially in BG1), and the fact that the projectile will now be destroyed at the first bend means that it's not going to work a good portion of the time.

I've not seen it just "stop" when it hits a wall, it always bounces until it's ran out it length. It's not supposed to bounce off creatures though, only walls. It does occasionally get "trapped" between poorly drawn walls and run out its length without really going anywhere, but that's not new.