Skip to content

The 2.5 Update Beta is HERE! Test, play, let us know what you think!

Comments

• GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    Regarding the Oil of Speed buff, it should be noted that in the AD&D 2nd edition description the duration of the effect(s) was 5d4 rounds (average 12.5 standard deviation 2.5) or 75 seconds +/- 15 seconds. Where as the original Oil of Speed's effects last for 300 seconds nearly 3 times as long. The description also states "Use of a speed potion ages the individual by one year." Thus, I attempted to remake the Oil of Speed (Potion of Speed) and adding a fatigue penalty similar to the Haste spell:

Potion of Speed
    This potion increases the movement and combat capabilities of the imbiber by 100%. Thus, a movement rate of 9 becomes 18, and a character normally able to attack once per round attacks twice. This does not reduce spellcasting time, however. Use of a speed potion will cause fatigue almost instantaneously, but the other effects last for 1 turn.

STATISTICS:

Special: Doubles movement and attack rates
    Duration: 1 turn

Weight: 1
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @lefreut Do you perhaps know if it is possible to enable this feature?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    @Luke93 It's hardcoded in the engine so Beamdog has to enable this ;)
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I've been trying out the BG:EE beta (v2.5.15.1), and I've noticed that a lot of the NPCs I meet in the game seem to be... discolored. Like they're darker and less saturated than usual. Is that intentional? And if so, is there a way to reverse it?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Adul Not sure, actually. Can you file it as a bug and the team will decide (if it's intentional).
  • kingnightkingnight Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2018
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Reminds me of my brothers toy soldiers. They had that the little plastic bottom they stood on. ;)
    Yeah, someone messed up the paint job on these ones, for sure.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited May 2018
    I beg your perdon, users. Can someone check my bad English in the following ticket which is spoiling my runs?

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/37086

Is it enough clear how the bug triggers in order to reproduce it? Can someone tell me if is it just my computer to behave badly?
    edited May 2018
    @JuliusBorisov Interesting, thanks for the info. I honestly had no idea it was supposed to be a feature, the sprites just looked wrong to me. Like as if affected by a misused filter, or something. I tried without outlines and nearest neighbor, like you suggested, and it made little to no difference in coloration.

For what it's worth, I regard this as another in a series of changes that should have no place in the core game itself and would be more appropriate as components in a tweak mod. Some of these characters are iconic, and changing them around at this point undermines the game's nostalgia property, which it banks on.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited May 2018
    @JuliusBorisov
    Two years have passed and this bug is still present: https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/20282
    It looked fixed in build 2.0.62.2, but actually is still present. Any chance to fix it?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Adul Nostalgia can very easily be toxic. Comparing something new to an idealized memory will ALWAYS end in disappointment. The patches should focus on improving the games. Not keeping them in stasis to protect fragile nostalgia.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Adul said:

There's always been two camps on this issue, which is why I always try to argue for making contentious changes optional.

I get not liking the sprite outlines, but those can be turned off.

I don't understand why changing the color of Gorion's robe would be "contentious"? It's not like they changed his sprite to an elf or a fighter or an ogre. They gave his robe a darker shade. No big deal.
    I haven't been playign the beta, but based on that screenshot, I think the color changes are good.
    edited May 2018
    @AstroBryGuy I can't speak for anyone else, obviously, but the fact that I've been mistaking these sprite changes for a filter error until Julius pointed out they were a feature makes it a contentious issue for me.

Plus they just look too drab and grey and dark for my tastes. Heh heh, at first I thought the game somehow erroneously applied shadows to the sprites even though they were standing in direct sunlight. Flaming Fist on the other hand are all white now, though, so... yay?
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    actually i like the applied highter contrast and slight desaturation (that's what's actually happening) with all but Gorion (who has a changed color set). it adds some plasticity without much "cost".

I also think if something like this is made a clickable option, we'd have many many many other clickable options to add as well, and would have many many settings variations that could cause a jungle of fine-grained troubles ...

But maybe it could be done with a switch in the baldur.ini for those who really don't like it?
    While I do like the new sprite colors, its not something I'm willing to die on a hill for. If it really bothers enough people, I won't raise a stink about it. Though an option to enable/disable it in the lua (ini?) file would probably be an ideal solution.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

Thanks for the feedback. Please, @Adul, try the same thing with Nearest Neighbor Scaling off and Sprite Outlines off (as you're comparing it to 1.3).

This change is a part of the ticket "NPC organizations should wear consistent uniforms" (eg., the scholars and staff at Candlekeep, Members of the Flaming Fist in the Baldur's Gate, Gorion's colors should be heroic - Gorion's robe is dark with light trim, and a green gem on his belt and amulet). It's based on PnP sources.

Your feedback have been passed to the team for additional Triage.

i 100% support the revision in principle, but the third guy in adul's pic (candlekeep watcher) looks terrible in 2.5 compared to 1.3
    in 1.3 his armor looks metallic and realistic, and in 2.5 it looks flat and rubbery.

metallic appearance of armors must not be compromised for some other effect (darkened to look cooler maybe, or whatever).
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Oh no ... That's really no good change ...

Colour desaturation and higher contrast on the original colours as an applied filter: nice for me.

Individual colour changes based on each individual original colour or role: fine for me.

Mass treatment to remove fine grained differences: not fine for me.