Skip to content

The 2.5 Update Beta is HERE! Test, play, let us know what you think!

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    IWD had worse balance than BG2. It skewed HEAVILY in favor of fighter classes.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited April 2018
    ThacoBell said:

Its a bunch of hookie. If people are going to complain about balance then we need to remove unrestricted resting, about 2/3rds of the mages spellbook, multiclassing, dual-classing, get rid of Bards and Berserkers altogether, Insect Swarma and Nature's Beauty need to go, etc. The game description always stated that oils of speed doubled apr and nodoby complained then. Its more likely that the there was an error with the coding than an error with the item description.

we need to remove unrestricted resting
    mage spellbook should not be changed but bg2 spells should be only made accessible later in bg:ee, more towards the end of the game
    dual classing should be improved to allow dualing into a kit
    bards should work the way they do in IWD
    berserkers can be nerfed a bit imho
    druid spells - nah, not op

well there you go

all totally unrelated subjects to oil of speed
    Not when people complain about the "balance". If oil of speed is so unacceptably powerful, then there at least a dozen examples of things more powerful.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @ThacoBell Don't you think getting Improved Haste in BG1 against Sarevok and Drizzt, resulting in you hitting more frequently than they do, is too much?

@ThacoBell Don't you think getting Improved Haste in BG1 against Sarevok and Drizzt, resulting in you hitting more frequently than they do, is too much?

No, not really. Especially not when much easier ways of fighting them exist.
    sarevok is in fact most vulnerable to a flurry of physical attacks and can be killed quickly and reliably with a strong warrior squad, so oil of speed can simulate this for a party that has, say, only one or two strong meleers
    i disagree 100%. i think that only new players (the new generation of players) really matters.
    Adul said:

The idea is that this is a 20 year old game with a fan base who know it inside and out and adore it the way it is, so changing things around arbitrarily should be avoided. The core game should offer the genuine experience, and tweaks like this should be left up to mods.

Its not an arbitrary tweak. Its fixing the potion to match the game description. Everything in the game tells you that potions of speed double APR.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited April 2018
    ThacoBell said:

Its not an arbitrary tweak. Its fixing the potion to match the game description. Everything in the game tells you that potions of speed double APR.

That's true, but it never did double your APR in either game. It said it did, but it didn't. +1 APR is how it's always worked.
    Adul said:

ThacoBell said:

That's true, but it never did double your APR in either game. It said it did, but it didn't. +1 APR is how it's always worked.
    And? The giving the potion double APR fixed that.
    ThacoBell said:

Adul said:

ThacoBell said:

And? The giving the potion double APR fixed that.
    I suppose I disagree with your approach because I assign more value to the experiences of the players who have been playing the game over the past 20 years (myself included) than what the original intent of the developers was 20 years ago. To put it more simply, I care more about what the game is than what it was meant to be.

But I do realize that my preference in this regard is highly subjective, so no hard feelings if we can't agree on this one specific thing.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Do we have any information about which one is suppose to be correct ? Yes typo in description do happen, but it also happen that a dev make an item then change it's effect and forgot to update the description.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited April 2018
    I have a revolutionary idea which is very much "thinking outside the box"; let's just add a potion of cheetah speed into the game files, with only a few obtainable in SoD, none in BG1 and plenty in BG2. Problem solved. :P

Edit: I was so amazed by my own genius I forgot to add that this potion of cheetah speed should give the user improved haste and let's keep the old potion as a regular haste.
    Post edited by Skatan on
    lefreut said:

Do we have any information about which one is suppose to be correct ? Yes typo in description do happen, but it also happen that a dev make an item then change it's effect and forgot to update the description.

descriptions have been stronger than existing functionality historically. here is a rare example of the description being patently wrong; what was meant is that the oil doubles your APR from 1 to 2, but higher APRs than 1 had been overlooked by the writer of the description.

i can't be 100% sure about this of course, but i'm ~95% sure
    ThacoBell said:

@Adul I've been playing since BG first came out (I still have the original 5 cds somewhere), the irony is that I always trusted the item description and believed that I was getting double apr. To not only learn that oils are actually much less useful than I thought all these years, but then to have them fixed and then yanked away is INCREDIBLY frustrating.

Hey, I can understand that. We've had different experiences with the game. I've been using the Oil of Speed all these years knowing it gave +1 APR, and I wasn't even aware that the description was wrong until this change came up in the patch notes. I probably read the description once many years ago, and then forgot what it said later.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I know BG doesn’t always adhere to PNP RAW, but 2ed DMG says,

“A potion of speed increases the movement and combat capabilities of the imbiber by 100%. Thus, a movement rate of 9 becomes 18, and a character normally able to attack once per round attacks twice. This does not reduce spellcasting time, however.”

Case closed ;-)
    edited April 2018
    Adul said:

ThacoBell said:

@Adul I've been playing since BG first came out (I still have the original 5 cds somewhere), the irony is that I always trusted the item description and believed that I was getting double apr. To not only learn that oils are actually much less useful than I thought all these years, but then to have them fixed and then yanked away is INCREDIBLY frustrating.

Hey, I can understand that. We've had different experiences with the game. I've been using the Oil of Speed all these years knowing it gave +1 APR, and I wasn't even aware that the description was wrong until this change came up in the patch notes. I probably read the description once many years ago, and then forgot what it said later.
    I may be completely wrong here, I'm not so good with all the mechanics of the game, but haven't the original oil of speed (and haste spell) only added APR up to the next full APR; meaning if you were on a half APR, the effect only brings you up the next full APR, ie 1, 2, 3 etc and not 3/2, 5/2.

Example I am level 7 fighter with 1,5 (3/2) APR using a weapon I'm not specialized in or a specialized fighter below level 7, when drinking a potion I get 2 APR, not 2,5 (5/2).

EDIT: Guys, don't give me any insightfuls until this has been debunked/confirmed! I'm writing from work and from memory and cannot test and confirm any of the above, hence my "disclaimer". :)
    Post edited by Skatan on
    Skatan said:

Adul said:

ThacoBell said:

I may be completely wrong here, I'm not so good with all the mechanics of the game, but haven't the original oil of speed (and haste spell) only added APR up to the next full APR; meaning if you were on a half APR, the effect only brings you up the next full APR, ie 1, 2, 3 etc and not 3/2, 5/2.

Example I am level 7 fighter with 1,5 (3/2) APR using a weapon I'm not specialized in or a specialized fighter below level 7, when drinking a potion I get 2 APR, not 2,5 (5/2).
    Interesting, I can't say I've ever noticed that. In which game(s) was that the case, do you know?
    BG1 primarely, but as stated above it's from memory (and my memory cannot always (rarely?) be trusted!). Take this with a grain of salt until someone more knowledgeble can answer.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited April 2018
    Beamdog mage overlords strike back, thoroughly disappointed, and it's not even released yet.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I guess it was a situation when one part of players would have always stayed unhappy.
    Adul said:

The idea is that this is a 20 year old game with a fan base who know it inside and out and adore it the way it is, so changing things around arbitrarily should be avoided. The core game should offer the genuine experience, and tweaks like this should be left up to mods.

Thanks!

I guess it was a situation when one part of players would have always stayed unhappy.

Adul said:

Thanks!
    I still don't consider this a "tweak", its bringing an effect up to date with existing documentation. The oil speeds habing double apr is more faithful to the core game.

Technically, it would be the most faithful to the core game if the potion continued to give +1 APR, but its description continued to say that it gave double APR. :P
    Adul said:

Technically, it would be the most faithful to the core game if the potion continued to give +1 APR, but its description continued to say that it gave double APR. :P

But thats inconsistent with all the documentation of the original game. Programming errors are more likely than a suspiciously consistent description typo that otherwise has no grammar errors, and somehow was never corrected in all these years.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Faithful to core game: no Drow, no kits, no Raise Dead will work on elves, no Monty Haul items.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    For original BG there were no kits or fighting styles, "double attacks" was a fancy way of saying in text that you get +1 APR, as it is more flavorful to read descriptive text than game mechanics. This naturally missed a few corners, such a darts that no-one used at 3 APR, and the more widely used bows. Fighters getting specialization and extra attacks were deep enough into the game that the flavor worked, and no-one got hung up on the mechanics.

The difference would be pronounced in BGEE, and we seem more focused on game mechanics than flavor these days - so fixing the text is entirely the correct response as far as I am concerned (but no surprise, as I am quoted in the original rationale as one of many preferring this change).