Skip to content

Lord-slayers' Shrine (Dark Souls 3)

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    SethDavis said:

if this is what they're seeing, I completely agree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qiq8fcwYX18

everything got a coat of shiney and the lights got boosted

maybe people are being a bit misleading, since the "graphics" are probably better on any actual measurement of whatever "graphics" are, but they do seem to clash with the intended atmosphere

I am holding out some hope that some of this is due to bad settings and we'll be able to adjust things to our own systems for a better looking result.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    they've left comments that they have all the settings the same between both versions, but i also hold out hope that there is a better setting
    I meant more that the settings themselves may be bad. The settings on the Remaster could give us a worse outcome than those same settings on the original
    So I tried the network test.

I pick the Black Knight, get in, run up to the first mob, and the buttons do nothing. I can't attack, I can't block, I can't parry, I get invaded, I die, because I can't attack anything.

Fortunately, that cleared up. Then I had to deal with the fact that I'm used to playing Dark Souls on the XBox controller and so I kept pressing the wrong button and drinking estus when the game told me to press X to pick something up.

I need to git gud all over again.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    No such thing on PC ;_;

No such thing on PC ;_;

Yeah, would've been nice to have it on PC.
    I mean I'm going to buy Remastered on PC, and then maybe on PS4 later.
    I don't have a PS4 yet but I will have to buy one for Death Stranding. The I will Finally get to play bloodborne as well.
    PS4 is totally worth it and has some of the best games this generation.
    So who's playing DSR?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

So who's playing DSR?

I bought it last night, and will give my quick opinion. First off, on a GTX 1060 the game runs at 60 FPS in everything I have seen. There are split-second dips to 55, but that seems to be more of an issue with online connectivity and loading than any actual graphical limitations, and happens very rarely. Secondly, the color pallet IS a bit different, but I find it pleasing (certainly more so than the almost puke tint that covers the original). The bonfires are striking even from a distance, and humanity and item shine has a pleasing blue-tint to them.

PvP has gotten the most overhaul. You can change covenants at bonfires. There are already Gravelords around (and it's my understanding this was a totally irrelevant covenant in the previous version). Most of all, it doesn't all require a connectivity mod. All 3 games are now on the same level in regards to online play.

But honestly, I just wanted a version that played at 60 FPS all the way through without the need for mods and HD texture hoops. This is what that delivers. For $20, considering how long I've been waiting for exactly that, it was more than worth the price.
    I haven't picked it up yet, but will soon.

Apparently there was a cheater using exploits to softban everyone he invaded. Also curse them and give them egghead and instakill them.

Apparently there was a cheater using exploits to softban everyone he invaded. Also curse them and give them egghead and instakill them.

I left a comment on his Youtube page calling him a sociopath, which betrays the idea of "don't feed the trolls", but most of the people in the comment section were swearing up and down he was doing God's work by "exposing From and Bandai Namco and their blatant cash grab". His stated goal was to get people to refund the game, except that you can only refund a Steam game if you play it for UNDER two hours. I mean let's think about this for even a minute. He is using a curse spell that doesn't exists in-game to one-hit kill everyone he invades, which then causes some of the people he kills to be associated with him in the game files, causing them to basically lose out on $20 or $40 respectively.

Basically, this guy is everything toxic and horrible about gamer culture wrapped into one package. The nauseating entitlement (never thinking they should have to pay for anything they don't think is 100% perfect), the idea that "trolling" is some sort of high art form. And the atmosphere fostered by these people in PvP situations. Watching him even for a few minutes was goddamn infuriating.

I left a comment on his Youtube page calling him a sociopath, which betrays the idea of "don't feed the trolls", but most of the people in the comment section were swearing up and down he was doing God's work by "exposing From and Bandai Namco and their blatant cash grab". His stated goal was to get people to refund the game, except that you can only refund a Steam game if you play it for UNDER two hours. I mean let's think about this for even a minute. He is using a curse spell that doesn't exists in-game to one-hit kill everyone he invades, which then causes some of the people he kills to be associated with him in the game files, causing them to basically lose out on $20 or $40 respectively.

Basically, this guy is everything toxic and horrible about gamer culture wrapped into one package. The nauseating entitlement (never thinking they should have to pay for anything they don't think is 100% perfect), the idea that "trolling" is some sort of high art form. And the atmosphere fostered by these people in PvP situations. Watching him even for a few minutes was goddamn infuriating.
    Yeah, that guy. Also, despite his loftily stated goals as you describe them, he's done this in Dark Souls 3 as well - I mean he's cheated as much as he's able and basically invades and cheat-kills as many people as possible.

Also related, the guy who made Watchdog for Dark Souls: Prepare to Die isn't going to update it for Dark Souls Remastered, pointing out that people can get banned for using it and that Bandai Namco needs to fix it and not rely on the fans to do their work.
    The sheer number of people who think this guy is doing a good thing kind of shines a light on the BS that underlies the whole "git gud" thing.

The sheer number of people who think this guy is doing a good thing kind of shines a light on the BS that underlies the whole "git gud" thing.

Dark Souls has never been about difficulty (or at least I don't think it was until the later half of Dark Souls 3 and the DLCs, when they sort of just started buying into it themselves). The "git gud" crowd are the exact type of people you'd imagine they are.
    Vaati is back after a long absence. This video especially shows little details From put into the game that almost no one would ever see, or make the connection to. I still marvel at the item placement in regards to the story-telling, and how deep it runs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC3JdEoDl1Q
    edited June 2018
    So, I keep hearing alot of comments about how this game looks like an amalgamation of a game called Tenchu and Bloodborne. I can't speak to the first at all, as I have never played it. But this clearly seems to fit into that 3D Ninja Gaiden aesthetic. I can't help but think I'd be more excited about this if Nioh didn't already exist. Clearly it is much different, clearly it will have that macabre From Software weirdness all over the place. But idk. When they said they were moving on, they weren't lying. Idk, I was hoping for a more original setting then feudal Japan (or something inspired by it). It's not like this territory hasn't been mined to death already in the last two or three console generations.
    edited September 2018
    The Truth that was concealed

The Truth of the First Flame, the Truth of Life

The Truth of Life was concealed

Life was born from the Dark

The bright light only segregates from the Truth

Perhaps the gods died to repent their secret

The secret truth of the Fire

Hard not to immediately think of Aldia's key line in Dark Souls 2, which was of course A lie will remain a lie.

The fire was never meant to be linked. Gwynn doing so was indeed the "First Sin". Gwynn destroyed the natural order of the universe, and everyone who has linked the fire since has simply perpetuated it.
    LadyRhian said:
    I get what they were going for, but I prefer more serious efforts

https://youtu.be/UFQT5qjpusg
    Steam sale is a magical time

https://youtu.be/-JZ8C5DJNs4
    From Soft are working on 2 games in addition to sekiro and at least one of them will feature the classic asymmetric multiplayer

https://youtu.be/5FXb3j3k7WI
    https://youtu.be/1qKBSMBMFDM

More on Sekiro. Can't wait :)