Skip to content

[mod] The Ooze's Lounge

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
edited March 2020 in BGII:EE Mods
If you thought that my only in-progress mod is Verr'Sza for BG2EE, then you were wrong. I would like to tell you few words about The Ooze's Lounge - my mod for BG2 and BG2EE.

When I worked on Southern Edge, I thought there should be more mods that expand Athkatla and perhaps show new "corners" of the City of Coin. That is why I released SE. But I always planned to offer something more. That is why I came up with The Ooze's Lounge - a new part of sewers that doesn't only offer few monsters to kill, but also gives a chance to meet a bit unusual merchants.

The mod was inspired by areas like Black Emporium from Dragon Age series. It introduces new merchants with some new items along with a special shopkeeper that will appear after you're back from the Underdark; there are 3-4 miniquests as well as few monsters to kill, because there's never enought of that. And as I mentioned, because I want it to look more or less like SE, the mod works on both old BG2 and BG2EE. To enjoy the conent, you must start a new quest or at least use the savegame before you entered Slums for the first time.

And here are some screenshots:

The mod isn't big, it is smaller than SE, but those who enjoy seeing new places in the game should still be able to enjoy it and hopefully find some new nice weapons to wield as well as a couple of new armors to wear.

Want to know where you can find the key?
You should find it during the Tanner's quest

Links:
Download
Forum
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
ThacoBellDoubledimasGusindaMateoFrozenZaghoulmemoryCaszidyJuliusBorisovChidojuanlolienGrammarsaladKamigoroshiAerakarInKalMantis37brunardoStummvonBordwehrThrasymachusFina92

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    What kind of weapon types are you thinking? We could always use more clubs, morningstars, maces, etc. There are already a lot of great swords and axes in the game.
    LavaDelVortellolien
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    I added those in my previous mods :) You'll find different kind of items: there are different kind of swords, daggers, there is a club, an interesting spear or a sling. So I tried to make a mix o popular and some less popular item types. Plus, there are rings, there is a new cowl for thieves. A new mage's robe.

Also note that I tried to avoid giving only brand new items. You'll find some simple +1 or +2 items. Just as at Ribald's shop. There is a mix of unique and usual enchanted stuff :)
    ThacoBellCaszidylolienAerakar
    @ThacoBell - after a while I came up with an idea. You support my projects, so... give me an item type you would like to see in the game and I will make sure it's gonna be somewhere in the mod.
    ThacoBelllolien
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Looking forward to trying this. Athkatla can never have too much areas.
    ThacoBelllolien
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    What a wonderful news!
    The game has a very poor selection of clubs, so I hope to see some of them in this mod :)
    ThacoBelllolien
    @LavaDelVortel Oh wow. Okay, let me think about it. I'm not great at this, so maybe it can be a collaboration? I do know that I'd like a club or a morningstar. As for effects that would be unique without being too strong, I dunno. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Clubs for everyone!
    ThacoBellZaghoullolien
    Hah, you people really like clubs! So... well... I have an idea. It will need some attention to implement it properly, but I think you may like it. It will be something like a mace or morningstar.
    ThacoBellAedanZaghoulCaszidy
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Maybe a club that's somehow involved with the cult of an evil god of oozes...what was his name... Ghaunadaur. It's an evil deity of drow pantheon.
    Zaghoul
    As I said, I came up with an idea and I think you're gonna like it. I need to wait a moment for other modder to help me with one thing, first. Thanks!
    ThacoBelllolien
    I'm gonna throw this out before I forget it. @LavaDelVortel No pressure to use it, I'm curious what your idea is.

The Hive:
    This club is riddled with holes and you can hear buzzing inside.

+1 or +2

Every hit has a chance to cast Insect Swarm on the target.
    Zaghoullolien
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited May 2018
    How does a Club +x that has x% chance of cast Entangle on hit (holder of club is immune) sound.
    ZaghoulCaszidylolien
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    ThacoBell said:

I'm gonna throw this out before I forget it. @LavaDelVortel No pressure to use it, I'm curious what your idea is.

The Hive:
    This club is riddled with holes and you can hear buzzing inside.

+1 or +2

Every hit has a chance to cast Insect Swarm on the target.

That's a fun idea. What if it also had like a 1% chance of insect swarming the player as well? : P
    ThacoBell
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Gusinda said:

How does a Club +x that has x% chance of cast Entangle on hit (holder of club is immune) sound.

That works nicely in Spell Revisions for the Shillelagh spell so would fit with a new item I think. B)
    Heh. Insect swarm club: +2 Fist Full o' Bees ;)

As were talking about the sewers, something that has a chance of causing a disease could work as well.
    And quests, o lawd, anything having to do with Oozemaster druids (Divine Remix ) would be a nice touch for mini quests. Something feeding off his beloved oozes and jellies and in need of PC's to help out.
    ThacoBell
    Ok, sorry to say that, but I am not going to include a quest that somehow would need other mods. Also, quests are already written and coded. So there won't be Ghaunadaur, but there is a slightly insane servant of Juiblex. But I would really like to leave other details for you to find when the mod is ready. Know that areas, items, scripts, dialogues etc are ready. What I am working on in testing, adding the final item and if you really want that club so much, I can do something like that Hive.

So yeah, remember that it's mostly finished and I am moving towards the end of the mod. May take a moment or two, though, as that's how modding works. Huh.
    ThacoBellZaghoul
    Juiblex material works just as well, especially as his servants have not been included anywhere as of yet. The area screenshots look great. B)
    lolien
    I already got the tph files from amazing @Gwendolyne and created the club. Since you were happy with the Hive idea, I made something simillar. Now some additional fixing, testing and proofreading. But there's little text here, so it shouldn't take much time.
    ThacoBellZaghoullolien
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Great job, @LavaDelVortel . I'm sure it will be fantastic.

If you're taking suggestions, the following weapons need some love in the entire BG saga (IMHO):

Dart, Spear, Morningstar, Club.
    Huh, well... there is a spear, there are two clubs now and... there's no morningstar or Dart, but there's an unique returning arrow :P
    RaduzielCaszidyThacoBelllolien
    I wonder if making the club upgradeable in ToB would be beyond the scope of this mod?

Just imagine a +4 club that can cause Insect Plague on hit. Tasty.
    Gusinda
    That woudl be too much... also because there is already a weapon that may be upgraded by Cromwell / Cespenar. I would like to stop with the new items, because it's easy to cross the line here. Mayking to many great weapons affects balance.
    @Caszidy - thank your for your very kind words.
    CaszidyThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @LavaDelVortel Good job. I would remove Nature's Beauty and restrict the use to only Druid, Shamans and Rangers, but that's just a personal taste.
    Normally I would, but there are so little druids... well, they're not a really popular class :P And there are very little clubs so I didn't want to make this weapon only for them.
    ThacoBell
    Yay!
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    Do you think it'd be safe to install this on an already setup EET install?
    Depends, but it may not be the best idea. I forgot to mention, it's better to install the mod before starting a new game or at least before entering the Slums. The Slums area is updated by the mod and if you visited it... well, the save game won't get updated.