Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• legotaksinlegotaksin Member Posts: 65
    edited May 2018

Caszidy said:

@junyangche You are genius :+1: It's working :+1: I really, really, really thank you.

glad to hear it works :)

I install Spell Revalence mod and compressed override and lang folder. Text is ok but when character uses few spells, game is off.

this time, i unzipped override folder and game is not off. why this thing happens?
    If mod is installed incorrectly, game has to be off whether override folder is zipped or unzipped.

game is work when override is unzipped, but game loading is so slow because game reads many override files.

installing android mod is so painful..

Use " generated biffing" to compress files in the override folder. the method of using "generated biffing" is the same as installing mod. When the compression is completed, the generated "xxx. BIF" files will be in the data folder ( there will be some files left in the override, but only very few files ), and then packaged into " patch ... OBB" files, and the specific packaging method is above. You will find that the running speed of the game is almost as fast as that of the original version.

what you mean is

override file -> biffing
    other folder (lang, data, sound etc) -> patch~.obb

right?

i know a little about biffing.
    when biffing files are in android folder, game recognize that biffing file?
    and where i can find biffing install file?

my english is not good..
    thanks your help. :smile:
    yes,exactly like that. at last centralfix the "patch......OBB" file and it can be recognize by game.
    you can find it here.
    http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/741-generalized-biffing/
    after biffing(i chose option1(all most thingsare biffed), i tried your method and game is work.
    but game didn't recognize biff file..sad:(

i tryied few times but biffing doesn't work in android..
    There is one more step that you must do. after you install some MODS, the "chitin. key" file is also changed. you must put this file in " main ... OBB" to replace the original one( only in this way can the new XXX. BIF file be recognized by the game ). in order to keep the packet size unchanged, you must also delete some files in " main ... OBB", such as " neera. BIF" ( this file is only related to a new teammate and does not affect the game running ), and then the packaging method is the same as " patch ... OBB". Then you can run the game. I have tried this method and everything is ok.
    oh ! i have a chance again!
    but i bought neera contents. if i delete neera.bif, this doesn't affect neera?
    can i know what files are deleted? except neera.bif

I am just giving an example, and you can also choose to delete other files. From the file name, you should be able to guess what kind of files it is. for example, " blackpit. BIF" is obviously black pit file. if you only play SOA and TOB, then I recommend that you delete " blackpit. BIF" file.
    i tried again and game is work but when i use spell, game is down again..
    i guess that it is not fault of your method.
    i think it is about mod problem..
    if u are ok, can u upload ur weidu log?
    sorry for plaguing
    I also found "when i use spell, game is down",i don't know how to deal with it.i will figure it out.
    do you use spell revision mod or other mod?
    when I installed other tweak or banter pack mod using old method (not using chaing obb file), game works well.
    and i found that some spell code?(i don't know exactly) are changed after 2.5 beta in SCS mod thread.
    so i guess few things.

1. changing obb file makes problem.
    2. mod related to spell makes problem.
    if caes is 2, there are 2 cases.
    2.1. mod version is old so not matched 2.5 beta version spell code or something.
    2.2. changing spell must make problem in android
    3. using centralfix makes spell problem.

i will try to install scs ( i find it works pefactly in 2.5.16.4 pc version).
    scs also affects some spells so if i failed, i think it is not mod problem.

of course, it is just my guess.

-------------------

i finally know what is the problem.
    i failed install scs. after i remove all things and install only one basic mod and use biffing and make obb files.
    but it is fail again.
    so i think biffing is problem.
    biffing makes game shut down.
    i sure 99%
    it is sad becuz if biffing does not work, android user can't install heavy mod..

but biffing works on computer game of baldur,it can spell and won't shut down.
    i know it. so i can't understand why it doesn't work in android. now i play game with same mod using your method (making patch~.obb without biffing) and game works well.
  • junyangchejunyangche Member Posts: 32
    I think the problem should be related to chitin. key, because biffing will change chitin. key, and there seems to be no problem elsewhere.

Ps: I found that our English were terrible, but there seemed to be no obstacles in communication. :D
    JuliusBorisov

Caszidy said:

@junyangche You are genius :+1: It's working :+1: I really, really, really thank you.

I install Spell Revalence mod and compressed override and lang folder. Text is ok but when character uses few spells, game is off.

this time, i unzipped override folder and game is not off. why this thing happens?
    If mod is installed incorrectly, game has to be off whether override folder is zipped or unzipped.

game is work when override is unzipped, but game loading is so slow because game reads many override files.

Use " generated biffing" to compress files in the override folder. the method of using "generated biffing" is the same as installing mod. When the compression is completed, the generated "xxx. BIF" files will be in the data folder ( there will be some files left in the override, but only very few files ), and then packaged into " patch ... OBB" files, and the specific packaging method is above. You will find that the running speed of the game is almost as fast as that of the original version.

what you mean is

override file -> biffing

right?

my english is not good..
    yes,exactly like that. at last centralfix the "patch......OBB" file and it can be recognize by game.
    you can find it here.
    after biffing(i chose option1(all most thingsare biffed), i tried your method and game is work.

There is one more step that you must do. after you install some MODS, the "chitin. key" file is also changed. you must put this file in " main ... OBB" to replace the original one( only in this way can the new XXX. BIF file be recognized by the game ). in order to keep the packet size unchanged, you must also delete some files in " main ... OBB", such as " neera. BIF" ( this file is only related to a new teammate and does not affect the game running ), and then the packaging method is the same as " patch ... OBB". Then you can run the game. I have tried this method and everything is ok.

I am just giving an example, and you can also choose to delete other files. From the file name, you should be able to guess what kind of files it is. for example, " blackpit. BIF" is obviously black pit file. if you only play SOA and TOB, then I recommend that you delete " blackpit. BIF" file.
    sorry for plaguing
    I also found "when i use spell, game is down",i don't know how to deal with it.i will figure it out.
    when I installed other tweak or banter pack mod using old method (not using chaing obb file), game works well.
    and i found that some spell code?(i don't know exactly) are changed after 2.5 beta in SCS mod thread.
    so i guess few things.

2.1. mod version is old so not matched 2.5 beta version spell code or something.

-------------------

i failed install scs. after i remove all things and install only one basic mod and use biffing and make obb files.
    but it is fail again.
    i sure 99%
    it is sad becuz if biffing does not work, android user can't install heavy mod..

i know it. so i can't understand why it doesn't work in android. now i play game with same mod using your method (making patch~.obb without biffing) and game works well.
    it should be something with chitin.key. cuz it is changed by biffing.

Caszidy said:

what you mean is

override file -> biffing

right?

my english is not good..
    you can find it here.

sorry for plaguing
    so i guess few things.

-------------------

but it is fail again.
    i sure 99%

it should be something with chitin.key. cuz it is changed by biffing.
    your english is much better than me. :smiley:
    chitin.key maybe.. but i don't know about handling chitin.key and what i do in chitin.key. it is difficult problem.. maybe we can't handle this.

i don't use biffing and install scs and other mod using changing patch~.obb and compressing override folder(this thread method).

when i installed scs few months ago, it was really lagging but now very short lag and all things work well.

so i'm play happily now. :smile:
    JuliusBorisovjunyangcheGusindalolien
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @JuliusBorisov I checked BG2EE version 2.5.16.4 on Android. I managed to add a WIP version of the french translation into the game, including bif files for the game voices, sounds directory for the player character, patching BGEE.lua to add french to the language menu and adding L_fr_FR.lua for the game interface. I used the traditional approach of a central fixed zip file in Android/data/baldursgateiienhancededition/files.

All is working as expected: player character voices, game voices and texts in french, including two additional texts in the language menu for the french languages.

I didn't test with mods but at least the game is using the two files in the override directory of the archive and the modified dialog.tlk files, so the base for adding mods is working.

So keep up the good work and apply the same changes to the BGEE version. ;)

I encourage people to try again the simple approach of adding content through a specific zip file. Maybe it's not necessary anymore to tinker with obb files, at least for BG2EE and possibly IWDEE. For BGEE, we have to wait for an update in the beta though.
    GusindaJuliusBorisovlolienCaszidy
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    How about when modding Siege of Dragonspear on android, is that in a similar situation?
    @Mantis37 I don't own the game on Android but considering the other games follow a very similar naming convention for file (as you can see at the end of the first message), you should be able to derive the locations and names.
    For the location containing the game data, it is likely to start with with "Android/obb/com.beamdog." followed by a name based on "Siege of Dragonspear": you should find obb files there.
    For the location where to copy the archive file containing the mods, ensure you run the game and make a save, so that the directory is created. The name probably looks like "Android/data/com.beamdog.siegeofdragonspear/files".
    JuliusBorisov
    OK, thanks. I will try it when my next no-reload makes it there!
    JuliusBorisov
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Mantis37, have a friend who bought this (for Android) and wanted me to create a modfile. Did so and can confirm that the (zipped package) procedure remains the same for creating the modfile. There were some mod compatibility problems (due to not having some BG1EE files) but it didn't impact on the procedure itself.

The mods that I installed were:
    - Tweaks Anthology
    - LeUI (SOD Skin) (It does show the other games in the menu but works fine if you only select SOD). My guess is that he will end up removing that and using the changes that are in the EEUITweaks pack.
    - EEUITweaks - there were problems with one of the Portrait Pickers when you tried to move to the custom portraits, but the rest seem to work fine.

If the mod you want to install requires parts of BGEE, then you might be able to copy the required files into the override folder once you know what they are...?

I realise now that I should have grabbed the modfile for you to have a play with. If you want it, let me know and I will grab a copy when I am next over.

Gus
    Thanks, no worries for now. I usually install quite a few mods so will have a play around and see if I can get a sufficiently similar game environment when moving from BG1 and from 1.3 to 2.5. If not then I shall either skip SoD or make do as best I can. My present no-reload is using the old Card kit from this forum while randomising my decisions, so if that no longer works for any reason I guess I'll switch to something like a thief/wild mage!
    I have a PROBLEM about the Android version bg1ee, the latest BETA v2.5.10.0. After repackaging ... OBB, the game can run and the text can also be displayed, but if skills or spells are used, the game will shut down, while other methods do not seem to be able to run mods. Can someone help me ?@Gusinda @Isaya
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The BG:EE beta on Google Play has been updated. http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/05/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-25-beta.html

[Android] Mod archives created with centralfix don't work properly (partial content only) (35976)
    @junyangche, I haven't downloaded the betas to test but I did mod SoD (2.5.12.11) the other day and apart from some mod compatability problems, all was successful using the centralfixed zip file method. Have you tried that at all or just the repacking of the .obb? It might still work with BGEE 2.5.10.0. What mods are you installing?

@JuliusBorisov, does '[Android] Mod archives created with centralfix don't work properly (partial content only) (35976)' mean that the problem has been fixed or the that there is still a problem with the new version released? I am not sure that it is a feature if it hasn't been fixed :smile:

Gus

The BG:EE beta on Google Play has been updated. http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/05/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-25-beta.html

[Android] Mod archives created with centralfix don't work properly (partial content only) (35976)

thx~i will try this weekend. : )
    Gusinda said:

@junyangche, I haven't downloaded the betas to test but I did mod SoD (2.5.12.11) the other day and apart from some mod compatability problems, all was successful using the centralfixed zip file method. Have you tried that at all or just the repacking of the .obb? It might still work with BGEE 2.5.10.0. What mods are you installing?

@JuliusBorisov, does '[Android] Mod archives created with centralfix don't work properly (partial content only) (35976)' mean that the problem has been fixed or the that there is still a problem with the new version released? I am not sure that it is a feature if it hasn't been fixed :smile:

Gus

bg1ee is updated to v2.5.16.4 .maybe it is ok now. later i will try to install some mods.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited May 2018
    @Gusinda Yes, that part means the problem should be fixed. If there's a line in patch notes, it usually means the problem is fixed. But I agree, the wording misses "Fixed".
    Gusinda
    @JuliusBorisov @junyangche I confirm that the issue I reported is fixed in BGEE beta 2.5.16.4. The files I made with the previous version are working as intended now.
    And the sound files are available in the game for several languages now, it seems, so no need to use centralfix for that purpose anymore. Thank you.
    GusindajunyangcheJuliusBorisov
    For SoD can you still just centralfix the lang folder or is it necessary to have a much bigger zip file when adding several mods?
    edited June 2018
    @Mantis37, when I modded SoD the other day, I used the method of centralfixing (? is that actually a word) on the lang.zip file only. Other than some compatability problems with the mods, everything it seemed to work.

Gus
    Mantis37
    It is now :). (Source: I know some linguistics ;)). Cheers!
    Gusinda
  • BarachielBarachiel Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2018
    Okay, this is weird. I have BGEE (Beta) and the freshly updated 2.5 BG2EE on my Pixel C. I've run them both.

I hook it up to my PC, and I find only a single directory in the "android\obb" section, for BG1. It has no files. There isn't even a directory for BG2.

I don't even know where to *start* now.
    @Barachiel, if you have an additional SD card installed, then it could be likely you are looking at that. Make sure you are looking at the internal card.

Gus
    @Gusinda Pixel C doesn't support external SD cards.

If I take BGEE back to regular (non-BETA), does your offer of modding it for me still stand? And would I need SOD, too?
    @Barachiel, after the release of 2.5 yesterday, I actually tried the Beta version of BG1 as well. So you can leave it as Beta if you wish. The problem with the beta is that it will change quickly and the mod will be out of date (it requires the dialog.tlk to be the same version). I still have my modding setup for 1.3 so there wont be any problem either way. Just create a new discussion in the BG:EE Mods requesting what you want and we should be good to go.

No you wont need SoD (I don't have it for Android... yet...).

For your Pixel C, do you have both data folders? This is odd.

Gus
    edited June 2018
    @Gusinda Okay, I'll head over there for that part.

No. There's nothing in the Data folders either. By the way this thread talks, i should have neither game installed, and yet, i can load and play them just fine.
    @Barachiel, when you look at it with a file manager within Android, do you see any of the files? If there is nothing, try and switch on 'Show Hidden Files' just in case (they shouldn't be hidden though).

Gus
    edited July 2018
    @Gusinda Okay this is messed up. They're visible in the Android File Explorer, but not on Windows File Explorer, BUT I have "show hidden files/folders" enabled already.

EDIT: Nevermind! Turns out it's a caching issue, and simply rebooting my tablet fixed it. I should probably do that more often. Heh.
    Gusinda
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    edited July 2018
    at the end of my wits. the method described in OP worked perfectly on 2.5 beta, but the game refuses to acknowledge centralfixed lang.zip file anymore with the official update.

i even tried junyangche method. weirdly the game seemed to work without the patch file then, no music or movies, although it recognized updated tlk file. still, unplayable unfortunately.

i have samsng galaxy j7 pro 2017. any suggestions how to force the game to see the lang.zip again? am i missing something?

EDIT- game recognizes override folder though, just the dialog tlk and music seem to be the problem. (i tried only zipping tlk, tlk with folder pathway structure, tlk with music folder etc.)
    Post edited by trinit on
    edited July 2018
    @trinit, I will see what happens when I try later today.

Gus

Edit: OK, I hate to tell you this but all is well. I have modded my version and everything works as it should (up to where I tested it anyway). The difference I have is that everything isn't contained in the one modfile (sort of). I have found that the game crashed for me when the modfile contained too many files. A summaraised version of what I do:

- Install all the mods that you want to use using the method in the OP.
    - I then copy 'override' folder and \lang\en_US\dialog.tlk (keeping it in the folder structure) to a modfile creating folder (only the stuff I want copied to Android). In this folder I also have centralfix.exe and centralfix.bat (which just automates the centralfixing of lang.zip).
    - I create lang.zip using the 'Store' method (not compressed) and centralfix it
    - Select lang.zip and Override and compress them into one .zip
    - copy to device and unpack into ...\Files folder
    - Should now have the following in your ...\Files folder:
    override (folder)
    Baldur.lua (file)
    lang.zip (file)
    - You may have others like portraits and save but only if they have been created.
    - Make sure you have no other .zip files in the folder as they willl conflict with lang.zip...

The mods I used didn't contain any extra music or movies. Not sure if this makes a difference for you. If yours do, let me know which ones you are trying, and I will try to install them to see if there are any changes to make in the install.

Hopefully that will work for you. If I didn't explain enough, please ask Qs and I will see if I can answer tham...

Gus
    Post edited by Gusinda on