Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited June 2018
    lroumen said:

Which one then?

Scrappy doo?...=P

Oh, since we're on that topic.. I HATE the flintstones. It's the awful stuff that was on after all the cool cartoons had ended when I was a kid.
    ThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    He said scrappy was not the worst one....
    edited June 2018
    Yeah you're right, I misread it. Happens sometimes when I read posts too quickly^^
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

ThacoBell said:

I think too many people hate Paladins for that to be possible ;)

Not just paladins although they sure fit the thrope. LG have no independent mind of their own.
    No, that's not true. There is, and have been, serious debates by people who could be described as LG as to how to deal with problems, or when and how a bad law should be undone or ignored, etc etc etc. That may not be how people who control the narrative want you to see it.
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldHalfOrcBeastmaster
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    lroumen said:

Which one then?

Flim Flam *lightning strike*

ThacoBell said:

I think too many people hate Paladins for that to be possible ;)

Not just paladins although they sure fit the thrope. LG have no independent mind of their own.
    Spoken like a true chaotic that doesn't stand for anything ;)
    BelgarathMTHWise_GrimwaldHalfOrcBeastmaster
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    batoor said:

Oh, since we're on that topic.. I HATE the flintstones. It's the awful stuff that was on after all the cool cartoons had ended when I was a kid.

Hanna-Barbera cartoons were always terrible. They were all but universally low-budget, low-quality shows churned out with no creative thought behind them. Witness the multiple clones of Scooby Doo, all produced by the same studio: the Funky Phantom, Speed Buggy, Jabberjaw, Josie and the Pussycats, and I think there's more. That's not counting all the other lame shows from HB. Wacky Races was the only one I actually liked.

Even the non-Hanna-Barbera cartoons could be pretty weak at times. Johnny Bravo and even Dexter's Lab don't hold up as well by modern standards. Spongebob Squarepants and the Fairly Oddparents are some of the few shows that are still entertaining, despite being fairly old by now.

Even the classic Looney Tunes shows with their legendary reputations tend to be very sluggish when watching them now. Duck Amuck is probably one of the only episodes from the golden era of cartooning that wouldn't be boring to viewers accustomed to more recent, faster-paced shows.

Cartoons these days have gotten a lot better--and not just the adult-oriented ones like Rick and Morty and various Adult Swim shows. See Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Clarence, Teen Titans Go, and Star Butterfly vs. the Forces of Evil for excellent examples of well-made cartoons that appeal to a broad audience. They actually have some fleshed-out characters, interesting story arcs, gorgeous visuals, and a much smarter sense of humor.
    batoor
    @semiticgod I disagree. Scooby Doo, while formulaic in format, did a lot of clever things in its mysteries and set ups. I still enjoy it to this day. Don't even get me started on Looney Toons. They still rock. The trick is to watch the ones that WEREN'T popular in their day. A lot of the currently considered best of all time, were the elast liked when they were new.

Teen Titans Go is an aberration against God and a betrayal of everyone the original show did. Never mention it in a positive light, it deserves only our abject hated.
    semiticgoddesslolien
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Even the classic Looney Tunes shows with their legendary reputations tend to be very sluggish when watching them now. Duck Amuck is probably one of the only episodes from the golden era of cartooning that wouldn't be boring to viewers accustomed to more recent, faster-paced shows.

My favorite Looney Tunes was always Duck Dodgers.

Of course none of these can hold a candle to the great Jay Ward Productions cartoons like Bullwinkle and Super Chicken. The art was cheap, but the writing was great. An amazing blend of childish goofiness and adult sophistication.
    tbone1
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited June 2018
    I have to agree that Teen Titans Go is a complete betrayal of everything the original show stood for...

...and arguably the show is nothing more than a not-so-secret plan to troll innocent fans...

...but it's precisely because it's a ridiculously over-the-top betrayal of the Titans that makes it funny. It shows the other side of the Titans, the one that doesn't show up on screen, when everyone is being a lame couch potato playing video games instead of fighting evil.

And sure, there are some things that are absurd and, well, kind of stupid, like the time Cyborg mind-controlled himself into becoming his own grandma or something...

...but the show can actually be pretty charming. One of the things they do a lot is show the Titans being way too enthusiastic about something mundane, like cuddling Robin in a furry catsuit. Which isn't that creepy.

Who wouldn't want to turn into a train and ride around with your friends?

StummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I still think the Donald Duck and Chip & Dale shorts from the 1950s are some of the best things that have ever been done in animation. Take "Out on a limb". There's a scene where creepy music plays as Chip and Dale walk through their tree that now looks like a dark jungle because of the tension. Now that's some atmospheric stuff right there.

Oh, right, an unpopular opinion to keep on topic too. Hmm. I find mega-difficult and overly challenging gameplay to be utterly uninteresting. Icewind dale is the only game I play on insane, and that's just for the xp bonus.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBelllolien
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    ThacoBell said:

Teen Titans Go is an aberration against God and a betrayal of everyone the original show did. Never mention it in a positive light, it deserves only our abject hated.

Teen Titans Go is to the original show what the Baldur's Gate novels are to the games.
    ThacoBelllefreut
  • JimstromJimstrom Member Posts: 98
    edited June 2018
    I don't like kits, i found theme very gimmicky, and unbalanced, and i think there is to much focus on custom kits in the mod community.
    Post edited by Jimstrom on
    Skatan
    Jimstrom said:

I don't like kits, i found very gimmicki, and unbalanced, and i think there is to much focus on custom kits.

Custom kit!? That sounds amazing! Too bad there aren't any in the games ;)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Even the classic Looney Tunes shows with their legendary reputations tend to be very sluggish when watching them now.

Hold, I say hold on there, boy! You cain’t go forgettin’ Foghorn Leghorn! (Kid’s about about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.)

semiticgoddessAbi_DalzimZaghoulThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2018
    The new Scooby Doo from a few years ago (Mystery Inc.) is very good though.

If you ignore all the series with scrappy and flim flam the old ones are quite watchable.
    semiticgoddess
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @BillyYank Thanks.... since you brought up Super Chicken I can't get the theme song out of my head..... BaCaw!

Please no one bring up George of the Jungle I can't have that song in my head too.
    lroumen said:

The new Scooby Doo from a few years ago (Mystery Inc.) is very good though.

If you ignore all the series with scrappy and flim flam the old ones are quite watchable.

I will admit to loving "The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo", despite Flim Flam. I love Vincent Price.

Old fogeys reminiscing about childhood entertainment and how everything used to be better makes for riveting reading.

Doesn't it!? :p
    @Artemius_I I agree on all points but 4 and 7.

If the writers had wanted to write a permanent death and leave it at that, I can think of a much better way to do it.

When the Hooded Man takes Skie's soul into the dagger, have him then destroy the dagger and explain that destroying the dagger with her soul in it also destroys the soul. CHarname then has knowledge of what happened with NO WAY TO PROVE IT OR FIX IT. Having been charged and/or convicted of destroying a noble's soul, them having to flee without makes more sense. We also get a big player punch with no way to reverse it, AND the writers don't create a GIANT DANGLING PLOT THREAD.
    semiticgoddessAerakarMirandelDaevelon
    edited June 2018
    I get why Jan and Edwin might be considered tiresome and overrated to many, but what I don't get is why Minsc is so beloved. Any argument made against Edwin and Jan can be made against Minsc as well and he doesn't even have a personal quest unlike the former two...And the one that was planned for him in Unfinished business is subpar at best. Something more meaningful might have been to make a quest out of him getting a new witch.. Like with the Aerie banter.

And by god if miniature space hamster jokes haven't been overplayed as a reference outside of these games as well.

I like Jan is small doses, though I can't envision a worse shorty than Grobnar from NwN2^^
    SkatanHalfOrcBeastmasterlolienSanctifer
    @batoor "I like Jan is small doses, though I can't envision a worse shorty than Grobnar from NwN2^^"

Montaron. Such a (literal) killjoy.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    batoor said:

I get why Jan and Edwin might be considered tiresome and overrated to many, but what I don't get is why Minsc is so beloved. Any argument made against Edwin and Jan can be made against Minsc as well and he doesn't even have a personal quest unlike the former two...And the one that was planned for him in Unfinished business is subpar at best.

Agreed 100% - Minsc has always irritated me.

Also, I'd argue that his true alignment in BG1 is more akin to CN than NG.
    HalfOrcBeastmaster
    edited June 2018

batoor said:

I get why Jan and Edwin might be considered tiresome and overrated to many, but what I don't get is why Minsc is so beloved. Any argument made against Edwin and Jan can be made against Minsc as well and he doesn't even have a personal quest unlike the former two...And the one that was planned for him in Unfinished business is subpar at best.

Agreed 100% - Minsc has always irritated me.

Also, I'd argue that his true alignment in BG1 is more akin to CN than NG.
    Impossible. Minsc ALWAYS advocates the good path. His sole purpose in life seems to be 1. protect those that need protecting (especially children) 2. Kick evil in the buttocks.

After all, "BUTT KICKING FOR GOODNESS!"

I can see someone arguing for CG though. Wait, isn't Minsc CG in BG2?
    AerakarDaevelon
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2018
    Minsc gets one moment of being completely out of control in BG1 when he’s desperate and in a foreign land alone with no one to reason with him. When he’s got someone to lead him (Dynaheir or the PC) he’s completely tame. In BG2 he can even reason with himself not to attack Edwin, his arch-enemy, during the Thieves Guild questline.

Minsc’s a very good guy, he just needs someone more intelligent to guide him in the right direction.
    ThacoBellAerakarlolien
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    ThacoBell said:

@Almateria As much as I love the reference you just made, it works pretty much exactly like Dio's The World.

King Crimson would have allowed everyone to move in the "stopped time" but they would have had no memory of it, as well as selectively erasing actions they took during it for everyone but the caster.

I mean... it amounts to the same if you erase all the actions! It's the same brand of handwavery as "no the caster is just really fast" from 3e.
    Almateria said:

ThacoBell said:

@Almateria As much as I love the reference you just made, it works pretty much exactly like Dio's The World.

King Crimson would have allowed everyone to move in the "stopped time" but they would have had no memory of it, as well as selectively erasing actions they took during it for everyone but the caster.

I mean... it amounts to the same if you erase all the actions! It's the same brand of handwavery as "no the caster is just really fast" from 3e.
    It doesn't erase EVERYTHING that happens. Characters are obviously confused when King Crimson activates and they are suddenly standing at the other end of a room, or in the middle of throwing a punch that they don't remember. Its kinda like leaving out the cause, but keeping the efrect.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, Vento Aureo was the first part I read and it had this terrible ass translation at the time which didn't help. I might've not... gotten it.

(though tbf I'd also be confused after a regular Timestop, what with multiple meteor swarms over my head appearing suddenly.)
    ThacoBell