Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    -Proficencies: doesn’t make sense that you can have Grand Mastery in Long Sword but zero points in Short Sword, which should be free. Or Club and Mace. Or dagger and dart. That’s why at least I feel zero guilt on EEKeeing free points in Short Bow when I progress in Long Bow. Come on...

-Paperdoll goblins, they look like Yoda and they suck. Or worst, they make me believe my character is that oligogrenich ugly thing from Harry Potter and how can I role play with that
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    ThacoBell said:

@Skatan

BTW, yep I'm a woman.

(people on any forum always tend to have this problem, what am I doing wrong?) :D

Its always "fun" to have a preconcieved notion of someone's gender online, and then find out later you were totally wrong. FWIW you always "sounded" female to me.
    I just assumed female based on the long hair in @UnderstandMouseMagic's portrait. I think most people usually just assume male unless something in the username or portrait seems feminine.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    ThacoBell said:

@Skatan

BTW, yep I'm a woman.

(people on any forum always tend to have this problem, what am I doing wrong?) :D

Its always "fun" to have a preconcieved notion of someone's gender online, and then find out later you were totally wrong. FWIW you always "sounded" female to me.
    The fangirl thing about Edwin coupled with the "I can't stand Imoen/Jaheira" might have been a clue though. :D
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

@Skatan

BTW, yep I'm a woman.

Not you; a lot of guys will show up on gaming forums just to troll or pick fights. And for some people, a different opionion is the same as a fight. (Unfortunately)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

The fangirl thing about Edwin coupled with the "I can't stand Imoen/Jaheira" might have been a clue though. :D

Not based on some people I’ve known ...
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Skatan said:

Wow, people are so much better than me at interpreting things in dialogues. I just see what is right in front of me, nothing more, nothing less. But in this case, even though the dialogue may be written by a man, I will trust the instinct of a female, such as @Ravenslight (and I think @UnderstandMouseMagic as well?).

And with regards to Imoen being all casual about her events, it's been stated over and over again about how she was added as a prolonged NPC and therefore lack material for most of the game. So it has nothing to with her character really, it's a design decision.

On another note, @UnderstandMouseMagic says:

"Edited to add
    It's patently absurd that you would take Imoen with you to hunt for Irenicus after Spellhold and what she has been through. You'd get her somewhere safe, away from anything that threatened her. She would be utterly incapable as a real character of shrugging off her experiences, think about what she has been through and remember what she was like and was saying in Irenicus dungeon. Yet never mentioned for the rest of the game, never reacts, nothing.
    "

It's not absurd at all to me. Why would bringing Immy with CHARNAME be any different than bringing other NPCs? Why would Imoen as the only character be unable to "shrug off" her experiences? Charname was equally tortured, Jaheira lost her partner, many other NPCs have dreadful experiences etc. I don't see why Imoen is any different. Shit happens, you live, you grow stronger. Being together is stronger than being apart. I can of course RP and leave Imoen behind, but I don't believe its a given and can therefore just as well not.

You have taken the quote out of context.
    It was to illustrate that the character "Imoen" has no character and everything about her can be projected onto her by the player.

I think Imoen in Irenicus's dungeon does have some character written for her, her dialog, the way she has been affected ect.
    But they didn't write anymore and it's said that's because she was meant to die in the story.

In the dungeon she's scared, deeply disturbed and simply wants to go home or get out. She reacts to Jaheira's dismissal of her as a child, there's some emotion.
    That's good, that's writing something about her, character development.
    Months later, with everything having got worse, it stops completely, because it was never written.

And that allows the player to project want they want onto "Imoen".
    OK, then I misunderstood you completely. I did read it twice to try and make sure I understood but apparently I failed, heh. Apologies.

And with regards to your gender, you're not doing anything wrong. It's just that I usually don't really care about your gender and therefore doesn't bother trying to "decipher" it through your writing. In this particular thread though, I believe the instincts of a woman is a valuable addition to the analysis and therefore chose to add it. Normally I don't.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I always assume anyone using a female forum avatar is female, until and unless corrected by that person.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Skatan

" I believe the instincts of a woman is a valuable addition to the analysis and therefore chose to add it. Normally I don't."

Why is that? Men are just as liekly to be victims of abuse as women.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

I always assume anyone using a female forum avatar is female, until and unless corrected by that person.

it's best to use the user name instead. i like useing male and female avatars depending on my mood but i am obviously male due to my username.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    I think resting is too easily abused.

In BG1 charname is a wanted person. Bounty hunters lurks in inns and taverns - Karlat in Beregost and Neira in Nashkel. When charname is attacked nobody intervenes.

But resting in any inn or tavern is risk free. No assasin would ever consider attacking you in your sleep apparently, egen you sleep inside.... even when you rest 100 times to get Dushai to fail her save against breath (Algernons cloak), the word about the sleeping Bhaalspawn never spreads - and sleeping is still safe.

I think resting should incur a certain risk of getting killed whilst sleeping - and off course an added risk for repeated sleeping.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

it's best to use the user name instead. i like useing male and female avatars depending on my mood but i am obviously male due to my username.
    Also not always an indicator. I knew a man who used both woman's user-name and an avatar (and not a cute anime character but some photo of an old lady). Never asked him "why", though.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2018
    I used to mix them too when I was younger. Simple reason, you get sucked into something you really like and you get obsessed and you dream it during the day so at some point in time you just get an account that is that male or female fantasy.

(the old lady part will remain a mystery to me unless it is one of those fortune teller or datefixer obsessions)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @ThacoBell

[spoiler]
    ThacoBell said:

@Skatan

" I believe the instincts of a woman is a valuable addition to the analysis and therefore chose to add it. Normally I don't."

Why is that? Men are just as liekly to be victims of abuse as women.
    Because this was specifically about a conversation between Imoen and a nymph discussing Irenicus. Don't extrapolate my comment into something bigger than that.[/spoiler]
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I remember being assumed to be female once, but I guess it's not surprising with my avatar and nickname. :)

Ad rem - that's legit interpretation, @UnderstandMouseMagic. It never really occurred to me that conversation between nymphs and Imoen may suggest rape. TBH, I've always considered Baldur's Gate to be too cartoonish for such sensitive matter.
    But then again - on my last run I had rather uncomfortable feeling that what Faere tries to do with Charname is eerily similar to certain movie producer.

Also - it's been a while. Hi everyone. :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Apparently, I have one: I like the Yasraena NPC mod.
    lroumen said:

Jon Irenicus is a worse antagonist than Sarevok. In bg1 the story for the protagonist unfolds more naturally and you get a better feeling for the motives of the antagonist through direct interaction with his lackeys and hired assassins than in bg2 where everything is told via cut scenes to the player instead of to the protagonist.

Not sure if I responded to this already as it was so long ago, but I agree with this as well.

Also, BG2 tried WAAAAYYYYY too hard to "top" Sarevok as a villain by having Imoen tell you, point blank to your face, "He's sooooooo evil," and Irenicus speaking in quasi-philosophical soliloquies about "pain" and the like. The former sounds lazy and forced, the latter pretentious and phony IMO.

Sarevok may have had much less of a presence throughout BG1, but his actions spoke for themselves.

I get around that problem by just assuming that everyone on here is male and then not caring what the responses to that are. :wink:
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Let me respond with an agree ;)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

lroumen said:

Jon Irenicus is a worse antagonist than Sarevok. In bg1 the story for the protagonist unfolds more naturally and you get a better feeling for the motives of the antagonist through direct interaction with his lackeys and hired assassins than in bg2 where everything is told via cut scenes to the player instead of to the protagonist.

Not sure if I responded to this already as it was so long ago, but I agree with this as well.

Also, BG2 tried WAAAAYYYYY too hard to "top" Sarevok as a villain by having Imoen tell you, point blank to your face, "He's sooooooo evil," and Irenicus speaking in quasi-philosophical soliloquies about "pain" and the like. The former sounds lazy and forced, the latter pretentious and phony IMO.

Sarevok may have had much less of a presence throughout BG1, but his actions spoke for themselves.
    The problem with Irenicus IMO is that at the beginning of the game, his OP-ness is off the scale, utterly ridiculous.
    And it's frustrating.

Then you meet him at the tree, so he's got your soul and "tree power", and the fight's a pushover if you have completed everything.
    What happened to the "disintegrate high level Cowled Wizards with the flick of my little finger" person?
    He powered down?

In fact, it's likely you could have killed him at Spellhold. He flees when "near death" that should be acknowledged in the dialogue, not the irritating "I can't be bothered".

Sarevok's fight in the temple is much better balanced IMO for the end game fight. Even when you've played the game a lot, that fight can still pull a surprise. With SCS, it's even better with the skeletons. Forget an NPC and they can be killed PDQ.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Well, the Tree of Life fight is meant to feel anticlimactic, in a way, since it's not the end of the story. That said, the fight in hell could be a lot more challenging, but Irenicus doesn't really make the best use of the Slayer (I don't use it much, but I get the sense it's honestly a little underpowered). Suppose He opened with a Chain Contingency giving him PFMW, Improved Haste, and some third buff, and then used repeated Time Stops to try and tear the PC down physically? That'd require some serious preparation to survive, without even changing the on paper encounter much, unlike Tactics or something.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Abi_Dalzim: That actually sounds a bit like SCS. Irenicus the Slayer spams PFMW and Horrid Wilting, buffs with Improved Haste and lots of abjuration spells, and attacks during Time Stop (though I've seen him stop attacking before killing a party member to cast a spell instead).
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited May 2018

@Abi_Dalzim: That actually sounds a bit like SCS. Irenicus the Slayer spams PFMW and Horrid Wilting, buffs with Improved Haste and lots of abjuration spells, and attacks during Time Stop (though I've seen him stop attacking before killing a party member to cast a spell instead).

Well, I was thinking of doing an extreme version what he does at the Tree, and chaining all his Stops together and ignoring the party members since it's you he wants, but combine that with IH'd physical attacks. With 3 or 4 Time Stops chained, he could get off 90 to 120 attacks without the player getting to do anything.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    ThacoBell said:

That sounds incredibly un-fun.

Yeah. Just because it's a good strategy on Johny's part doesn't mean it would make for a fun encounter. For instance, if you throw in a Spellstrike at the start of that (again, a good idea on Irenicus's part), there's no physical way a Mage CHARNAME could survive that.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I find timestop use in general to be un-fun. As it means just WAITING it out.