Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Zaghoul said:

Sure it's risky, but I can't resist it. I like my critters walking outside of my pack and assisting in combat and with traps as much as possible.
    'Please mista fighter, don't hurt muh kitty cat.' :*B)

Back when losing a familiar meant permanent CON loss, I can get that. These days, though, I think this is the popular wizard attitude regarding familiars:

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2018
    Pooky, noooooo!
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,866

An actually unpopular opinion I see!

If she's the introduction to the "great world of Baldur's Gate" I'm joining the suicide at the cliffs.
    And I'll jump whatever you say.

OK! Jump!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    JoenSo said:

Before I joined these forums I had no idea people were annoyed by Imoen. And I still don't understand what there is to be annoyed about.

Count me as an Imoen fan. Playing BG with her is like having Little Orphan Annie in my party. And the cheerful, playful, "Sun will come out...tomorrow!" attitude is probably exactly why so many people don't like her. They're the dark, brooding people who only want dark, brooding people in their games and stories. The same people who love Drizzt and drows, and who only read Batman comics.

@Zaghoul , I've always wanted to keep my familiar out when I play a mage, and have it be part of my adventure. But I never do it, mainly because of AoE spells. I'll think, "Let's play with my familiar as part of the party this time - I'll micromanage it and keep it out of trouble." And then I think, "No, sooner or later there's going to be a Fireball or a Horrid Wilting with my poor pet's name on it. It's a guaranteed constitution loss to not have it in my pack, plus it's a guaranteed sad ending to my roleplaying."

I never thought of it before, but that might make an interesting no-reload challenge - Can you get through the entire trilogy with your familiar out and have it survive?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @BelgarathMTH Nice idea. :) That would be one heckuva challenge for sure. :*
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844

@Zaghoul , I've always wanted to keep my familiar out when I play a mage, and have it be part of my adventure. But I never do it, mainly because of AoE spells. I'll think, "Let's play with my familiar as part of the party this time - I'll micromanage it and keep it out of trouble." And then I think, "No, sooner or later there's going to be a Fireball or a Horrid Wilting with my poor pet's name on it. It's a guaranteed constitution loss to not have it in my pack, plus it's a guaranteed sad ending to my roleplaying."

I never thought of it before, but that might make an interesting no-reload challenge - Can you get through the entire trilogy with your familiar out and have it survive?

I imagine such a game would, metaphorically speaking, quickly go the way of the Druids - and Marc Bolan, come to think of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skjvDLpeh4c

T.Rex "Ride A White Swan", 1970

Ride it on out like a bird in the sky ways
    Ride it on out like you were a bird
    Fly it all out like an eagle in a sunbeam
    Ride it on out like you were a bird

Wear a tall hat like a druid in the old days
    Wear a tall hat and a tatooed gown
    Ride a white swan like the people of the Beltane
    Wear your hair long, babe you can't go wrong

Catch a bright star and a place it on your forehead
    Say a few spells and baby, there you go
    Take a black cat and sit it on your shoulder
    And in the morning you'll know all you know, oh

Wear a tall hat like a druid in the old days
    Wear a tall hat and a tatooed gown
    Ride a white swan like the people of the Beltane
    Wear your hair long, babe you can't go wrong

Da-da-da-di-di-da, da-da-da-di-di-da ....
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited April 2018
    @Contemplative_Hamster Heh, I figger it would probably be a longgg challenge to get through. ;)B)
    I made a thread about fighting with your familiar a while back: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/33857/comparing-familiars

Never actually did it, but you've got ideas there for keeping the familiar alive.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited April 2018
    JoenSo said:

Before I joined these forums I had no idea people were annoyed by Imoen. And I still don't understand what there is to be annoyed about.

Most of what's said about Imoen is projection from everybody.
    I never liked her, so I projected onto her annoying traits.
    And those who like her do the opposite, project positive traits.

It wasn't until years later and finding this forum I found out that yes, she was never actually written as a character.
    She doesn't really exist, either in BG or BG2.
    Late invention in BG to get you to the FAI.
    Meant to be killed early BG2.

She's a tool of the game not a realised character consequently everybody is correct about her character.

For instance, it's heavily hinted at in BG2 that Irenicus rapes her. And even if he doesn't, she is then locked in Spellhold for months. But these events have no follow up, nothing in game that builds on that happening to a character.

Edited to add
    It's patently absurd that you would take Imoen with you to hunt for Irenicus after Spellhold and what she has been through. You'd get her somewhere safe, away from anything that threatened her. She would be utterly incapable as a real character of shrugging off her experiences, think about what she has been through and remember what she was like and was saying in Irenicus dungeon. Yet never mentioned for the rest of the game, never reacts, nothing.

The background events that happen to Vic, Aerie, Anomen, Valagar, Mazzy, Korgan, Jaheira help inform the character a great deal. And HD, Edwin, Janson, Keldorn less but somewhat as well.

Nalia has the same problem as Imoen, and of course it's because there was a last minute swap.
    Nalia loses her castle, home, inheritance, family and it's "so what she's fine with it".

It's interesting the way that inadvertantly a "thing" has been created that can only be a reflection of what people bring to the game themselves.

JoenSo said:

"Count me as an Imoen fan. Playing BG with her is like having Little Orphan Annie in my party. And the cheerful, playful, "Sun will come out...tomorrow!" attitude is probably exactly why so many people don't like her. They're the dark, brooding people who only want dark, brooding people in their games and stories. The same people who love Drizzt and drows, and who only read Batman comics."

Generalisation much?

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @UnderstandMouseMagic "For instance, it's heavily hinted at in BG2 that Irenicus rapes her."
    Uh, no its not. Nothing even remotely comes close to this outside of mods.
    ThacoBell said:

@UnderstandMouseMagic "For instance, it's heavily hinted at in BG2 that Irenicus rapes her."
    Uh, no its not. Nothing even remotely comes close to this outside of mods.

Not mods this is the dialog.

The Dryads in the dungeon tell you they are his concubines.

This is what they say to Imoen.

Imoen: I used to dream...but he doesn't. Your charms don't work on him anymore, do they?

; How do you know of this? He has touched you as we, hasn't he? Irenicus searches for something he cannot find, and he looks within those who have no more idea than he.

They tell her after a bit more.

Live as you can where you must, young woman. You will not survive if you give in. We have learned this.

It's quite specific that they refer to themselves as his "concubines".

Don't get me wrong, I don't like this and felt it was unecessary in the game. But somebody wrote that and I doubt it was done without thought about what was being suggested.

How does Imoen know Irenicus doesn't dream?
    How does she know their charms don't work on him?
    Why do they say he touched her as he touched them?

I don't think Irenicus raped Imoen. For one thing, the torture he inflicted on Imoen and Charname was geared towards a very specific purpose: unlocking the Bhaalspawn essence inside them. That's why he dissected Khalid in front of Imoen, for example: that sort of grisly anatomy lesson is very much in sync with the kind of morbid fascination you'd expect from Bhaal, the god of murder and assassins. All the torture revolves around killing people--there's not really a sexual element in it.

More importantly, the dryads confirm in the first dungeon that Irenicus is empty inside. He doesn't even feel lust in the presence of dryads he captured specifically to spark something in him. Irenicus' portrayal comes off as consistently asexual.

For what it's worth, the dryads asked Imoen a question that could be interpreted as asking if he raped her, but Imoen didn't answer that question.

I'd agree, it is questionable.

But Irenicus isn't asexual, far from it.
    Loss of libido doesn't render somebody asexual and it never says that anyway. It's lost emotion.

It's made clear that he's obsessed with Ellesime, even tries to create clones of her.
    What do you think he's going to do with them?
    And Imoen says "anymore" which indicates that there was something before.

Rape is always said to be about power, not lust or emotion.
    Charname can be male or female so they used Imoen.

Sex and death are always linked, perhaps especially for females.
    Mandrake root and where and what it's traditionally or superstitiously said to grow from.
    Plants flowering/seeding before dying.
    Bhaal procreates to escape death.
    Vampires??
    We're talking well known themes here, I doubt the writers were unaware of them.

That whole part of the dungeon is all about lost love and lost emotion, I don't see that it says anything about lost capability.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I have always interpreted the dialogues in much the same way as @UnderstandMouseMagic does. But I have also always thought that the writers did a good job of being vague enough to allow players to interpret it in a different way if they chose to. Either way, torturous things were done. I don’t feel that it would make it somehow “not as bad” as long as there were no sexual elements.

I also don’t think that it is important to try to make others believe that things happened either way. This is just one more example of why this game stands out and stands the test of time. It allows room for more than one interpretation, more than one play style.
    The Dryads specifically say that their charms don't work on him. That they are unable to give him what he needs. They are his "concubines" in name only.
    ThacoBell said:

The Dryads specifically say that their charms don't work on him. That they are unable to give him what he needs. They are his "concubines" in name only.

Sex or no sex, what he needs is clearly emotional more than anything. I don't think that's an indication that he tried to recapture that emotional connection non-sexually.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Wow, people are so much better than me at interpreting things in dialogues. I just see what is right in front of me, nothing more, nothing less. But in this case, even though the dialogue may be written by a man, I will trust the instinct of a female, such as @Ravenslight (and I think @UnderstandMouseMagic as well?).

And with regards to Imoen being all casual about her events, it's been stated over and over again about how she was added as a prolonged NPC and therefore lack material for most of the game. So it has nothing to with her character really, it's a design decision.

On another note, @UnderstandMouseMagic says:

"Edited to add
    It's patently absurd that you would take Imoen with you to hunt for Irenicus after Spellhold and what she has been through. You'd get her somewhere safe, away from anything that threatened her. She would be utterly incapable as a real character of shrugging off her experiences, think about what she has been through and remember what she was like and was saying in Irenicus dungeon. Yet never mentioned for the rest of the game, never reacts, nothing.
    "

It's not absurd at all to me. Why would bringing Immy with CHARNAME be any different than bringing other NPCs? Why would Imoen as the only character be unable to "shrug off" her experiences? Charname was equally tortured, Jaheira lost her partner, many other NPCs have dreadful experiences etc. I don't see why Imoen is any different. Shit happens, you live, you grow stronger. Being together is stronger than being apart. I can of course RP and leave Imoen behind, but I don't believe its a given and can therefore just as well not.
    The music in Baldur's Gate is meh. Its not really bad, but I find it largely forgettable. Despite playing since realease, the only song I can consciously recall is the loud and obnoxious battle theme. What I REALLY remember and enjoy about soundtrack, are all the wonderful ambient noises.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    (chuckle) And here I was just this morning thinking about how much I like the Baldur’s Gate Music. I believe the one from the Druid Grove is my favorite.

I agree about the ambient sounds. Good stuff! :)
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,652
    5th Edition made a terrible decision in limiting Base Attack Bonuses so completely. The difference in base AB between a 1st level and 20th level fighter is +4. That is absurd.

Someone who has barely picked up a sword for real combat should be miles behind someone who has risked their lives, and possibly died, in combat against opponents far beyond normal human/demihuman strength and has probably slain hundreds to thousands of creatures personally. There shouldn't be balance between low level beings and high level beings in that regard, you should get steamrolled by beings far beyond your power if you are foolish enough to try and engage them.

I'm also sick of the attempts to "balance" high level wizards and sorcerers by either gimping them or making everyone else a pseudo-wizard. Roughly 1% or less of aspiring wizards survive enough adventures to become high enough level to really start standing out. Playing through those very dangerous low levels is the test you take for earning that power later on. And even then, anyone who can get their hands on your spellbook can render you powerless if you are a wizard and not a sorcerer.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I think the low numbers was just to make it so the math doesn't get absurd. 5e, I think, is trying to find the balance between a fantasy simulator and fun game. If you go full fantasy sim (3.5, Pathfinder) then the math gets incredibly bogged down and it becomes difficult to track things on a character sheet. Meanwhile if it gets too game-y (4e) then things become more restricted and less fluid.

I think as well D&D, regardless of edition, loses all semblance of balance once you get past level 10. I think it's why most premade adventures stop around 15-ish.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,652
    Here's another unpopular opinion: 2nd edition DnD is pretty balanced. The higher in level you get the more different the classes become but they are all equally capable of handling problems in their own way, according to the unique skills of that particular class. In that sense, I find high level DnD actually better than low level.

Yes, high level mages are one-person armies. But high level fighters can assemble literal armies and decent level commanders with magical gear. The mage might have impressive spells like stoneskin, protection from magic weapons, and the like but the mage that can handle whole squads led by a character equal in level to them are few and far between.

Likewise, Rangers get access to a handful of unique followers that bring a lot to the table, like the Pegasus, Hippogriff, Treant. Laying down arrows from on high, or waiting until the right moment to begin an ambush, Rangers are all about scouting and controlling the battlefield and fighting on your terms.

Thieves don't need to run up to a mage and backstab them, they have a whole guild of thieves by high levels and the whole class is about subterfuge. Make natural, non magical poisons and slip em in their drink. Stalk your mage, learn their movements, assemble a trap squad and a backstab squad and plan your assault accordingly. PnP thieves can read magic scrolls by level 10, use magic right back at them to cover yourself if need be.

Honestly, the only truly underpowered class is the Paladin. He is the only non-magical class to not have the ability to attract his own following as a way to bolster his own abilities. But then again, I suppose you are supposed to have the backing of your church or whatnot.

Here's another one: There is no "best" official edition. They all succeed and fail in different ways (4th is still the worst).

For me, the most fun is a hodgepodge of 2 and 3.5. I like the basic groundwork of 2nd edition and how the classes work, with feats, some abilities, and less restriction on class requisites from 3.5 to make the individual characters stand out.
    Skatan said:

Wow, people are so much better than me at interpreting things in dialogues. I just see what is right in front of me, nothing more, nothing less. But in this case, even though the dialogue may be written by a man, I will trust the instinct of a female, such as @Ravenslight (and I think @UnderstandMouseMagic as well?).

And with regards to Imoen being all casual about her events, it's been stated over and over again about how she was added as a prolonged NPC and therefore lack material for most of the game. So it has nothing to with her character really, it's a design decision.

On another note, @UnderstandMouseMagic says:

"Edited to add
    "

It's not absurd at all to me. Why would bringing Immy with CHARNAME be any different than bringing other NPCs? Why would Imoen as the only character be unable to "shrug off" her experiences? Charname was equally tortured, Jaheira lost her partner, many other NPCs have dreadful experiences etc. I don't see why Imoen is any different. Shit happens, you live, you grow stronger. Being together is stronger than being apart. I can of course RP and leave Imoen behind, but I don't believe its a given and can therefore just as well not.

You have taken the quote out of context.
    It was to illustrate that the character "Imoen" has no character and everything about her can be projected onto her by the player.

I think Imoen in Irenicus's dungeon does have some character written for her, her dialog, the way she has been affected ect.
    But they didn't write anymore and it's said that's because she was meant to die in the story.

In the dungeon she's scared, deeply disturbed and simply wants to go home or get out. She reacts to Jaheira's dismissal of her as a child, there's some emotion.
    That's good, that's writing something about her, character development.
    Months later, with everything having got worse, it stops completely, because it was never written.

And that allows the player to project want they want onto "Imoen".
    @Skatan

BTW, yep I'm a woman.

(people on any forum always tend to have this problem, what am I doing wrong?) :D

• MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    -Proficencies: doesn’t make sense that you can have Grand Mastery in Long Sword but zero points in Short Sword, which should be free. Or Club and Mace. Or dagger and dart. That’s why at least I feel zero guilt on EEKeeing free points in Short Bow when I progress in Long Bow. Come on...

-Paperdoll goblins, they look like Yoda and they suck. Or worst, they make me believe my character is that oligofrenich ugly thing from Harry Potter and how can I role play with that. I rather use a green skinned halfling paperdoll.

-About Imoen, big fun. She feels like a good friend to have, feels like you are playing tabletop with friends. But that doesn’t work much when you wanna do powergamer ninja black ops runs.

-About Hexxat, I agree in the snowflake thing 100%. And she might talk cool and that, but she represents the perfect antagonist of civilization. She is a real natural enemy. But I have to say in her favor that is normal that “she doesn’t need men”. She is a vampire, no ability to produce children and no need to be protected. Also, she just doesn’t enjoy penis...