Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Unpopular opinions? Hmm, sounds interesting... Let me add something!

• Kangaxx is easier to beat than most Demiliches in the game (provided you know the right way).
    • Incendiary Cloud can be much more deadlier than Horrid Wilting.
    • Stun is the most dangerous negative status condition as there are no spells to gain protection from it, and it is very difficult to be removed. (There's a weapon that grants immunity to it, though.)
    • You can get to 10 APRs without Whirlwind Attack.
    • Demiliches and Planetars should be friends. o:) (If you're in doubt about this fact, you may ask @Shandaxx.)
    Stun can be removed with the 3rd level divine spell "remove paralisis" .

Yes, an improved hasted fighter with kundane+belm can easily get to 10 attacks/round :D
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @DJKajuru You only need Kundane or belm, not both as you seem to imply. And the 3rd option is the scarlet ninjato if you have UAI
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Also there are only two demiliches.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Also possibly unpopular opinion: BG2 was just way too epic. I would've really preferred to level up a lot less and have liches dragons, beholders etc be a much bigger rarer deal.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited January 2018
    @FinaLfront

Thankyou for the explaination, really interesting. :)

I tried out a katana once in RL (at an auction they had a genuine one, went for quite a bit of money, but auctions can be fun as they never really know if you are a serious buyer so you get to mess around).

Very disappointed because I usually have five pips in katana and I couldn't carry them over!!!! :'(
    Life sucks.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @FinaLfront; well spoken. Please allow me to just retroactively state that I do not "hate" katanas as such, but only their version in BG.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited January 2018
    I think you know you're in a fantasy forum, when Katana shouldn't do more slashing damage than a Long Sword... Damn you Beamdog making fantasy realistic!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I think a katana's damage is implemented very well. The problem is making them one-handed.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited January 2018
    It can be either, just like a Long Sword can. But if it was made Two-Hander it should make more "slashing" damage than one.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Skatan said:

@FinaLfront; well spoken. Please allow me to just retroactively state that I do not "hate" katanas as such, but only their version in BG.

I hear ya. I felt I needed the disclaimer, as I was about to knock the sword down off it's pedestal a bit.

It can be either, just like a Long Sword can. But if it was made Two-Hander it should make more "slashing" damage than one.

Neverwinter Nights 2 handles this well. It gives a damage bonus when wielding a medium sized 1 handed weapon in 2 hands. Not sure if it gave a to-hit bonus or not, been a couple years since my last play. Although IIRC, the katana still rolled a D10 regardless if used in 1 or 2 hands. So that discrepancy is still there.

In one play-through, I played a half-orc barbarian that wielded an axe in 2 hands. In his words, "Me not like big clunky axe. Normal axe with two hands beddar."

I'm curious if NWN1 has this same feature. Last time I played was early 2000's. And yes, I do have my eye on that EE version.

NWN2 also allowed using spear and shield with the right feat. Which is something that should be standard across all of Toril requiring no special monkey grip, but then of course, here we go again.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Sooo in 3.0/3.5 when you wield a weapon with 2 hands you gain a 1.5 strength bonus to damage. So if you have 14 str (+2 Modifier) then your axe will deal +3 damage. That's how it should work in NWN1 but I can't confirm if it does.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Yup. One reason why scythes have the best potential damage output in NWN1.

I remember reading somewhere that the build with the most damage output was somebody who dual-wielded kukris because it was so easy to land critical hits with them. I barely knew anything about NWN1 and it was still obvious to me that that was wrong: there were numerous ways to increase the chance of landing a critical hit, and there were numerous ways to increase base damage, but there was no way to boost your critical hit multiplier. That was the limiting factor in the equation, and the scythe's x4 multiplier made it very clear which had the greatest potential. The Improved Critical feat, the keen effect, and luck would all make a much bigger impact on a scythe than a kukri.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2018
    @semiticgod Add "Weapon Master" into this equation and things will get even better (x5 multiplier and, IIRC, a bigger threat range for Critical Hit).

About the One-Handed-Sword-as-a-Two-Handed-Sword thing, the Complete Fighter's Handbook gives a nice approach to this subject in the Two-Hander Style:

Two-Hander Style

The character wields a weapon which requires (or at least accommodates) the use of two hands. Such weapons include those which require two hands (Two-Handed Sword, Polearms, and Quarterstaff, for instance) and those which can be used one-and two-handed (Bastard Sword and Spear, for example).

One-Handed Weapons Used Two-Handed

Some players don't realize that many other one-handed weapons can also be used two-handed. Since these weapons don't do any more damage two-handed, there usually isn't much reason to use them this way; however, with Style Specialization in Two-Hander Style, now there's a reason. If you specialize in Two-Hander Style and then use a one-handed weapon in two hands, you also get a bonus of +1 to damage. Thus, if you take a Two-Hander Style Specialization, when using a long sword two-handed, you do 1d8+1 damage instead of the base 1d8 (or 1d12+1 vs. large targets, instead of the base 1d12). The one-handed weapons which can be used two-handed in this fashion include: Battle axe, Club, Footman's flail, Footman's pick, Horseman's flail, Horseman's mace, Horseman's pick, Morning star, Long sword, Warhammer.

Style Specialization

You can, by devoting a weapon proficiency to it, take a Style Specialization with Two-Hander Style.
    Style Specialization with Two-Hander Style gives you a very specific benefit: When you're using a weapon two-handed, that weapon's Speed Factor is reduced by 3.

For example, a fighter with Two-Hander Style Specialization and wielding a Bastard Sword can wield his weapon faster in two-handed style than in one-handed style. Used in one hand, the Bastard Sword has a Speed Factor of 6. In two hands (normally), it has a Speed Factor of 8. But used in two hands by someone with Two-Hander Style Specialization, it has a Speed Factor of (8–3) 5.

This is because when a fighter wields such a weapon with both hands on the hilt, he has more leverage on the blade and can move it faster. That's what Style Specialization in Two-Hander Style will do for the character: It teaches him how to use the weapon much faster and more aggressively than someone with less specialized training in the weapon.

TL;DR: You gain -3 SF with Two-Hander Style and an additional 1 damage if you're using a single-hander weapon as a Two-Hander.
    Donkey Kong Country 3 is not only the best Donkey Kong game, but the best game made by Rare.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Sleep is less powerful than it should be.
    Pantalion said:

Interesting, do tell.
    Pantalion said:

ThacoBell said:

Pantalion said:

Interesting, do tell.
    The victim of the spell is utterly comatose and sprawled helpless on the ground. Assuming someone attacking the victim isn't currently defending themselves against someone else they shouldn't simply be hitting the victim, but performing a coup de grace to kill them cleanly and instantly in a single strike, slit throat, helmet removed and perfect golf swing to the temple, sword through eye socket, what have you.
    IIRC that's how PnP (at least on AD&D) handles this kind of situation.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Khalid isn't a bad NPC at all, in fact I think he's one of the best NPCs in the first game, despite his low strength score he really holds his own in battle and was responsible for a decent percentage of my parties kills even with more powerful characters such as Minsc and Dorn.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Khalid isn't a bad NPC at all, in fact I think he's one of the best NPCs in the first game, despite his low strength score he really holds his own in battle and was responsible for a decent percentage of my parties kills even with more powerful characters such as Minsc and Dorn.

He’s also versatile. You can develop him into a good frontliner or a good archer. And he doesn’t have a ‘special ability’ or illegal stat to make him more powerful, either
    No special ability, but now you can give a kit that not only suits him as makes him an even more capable tank.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The Kensai concept is dumb. Would a turtle ditch its shell so it could run faster? Would a dragon remove its scales to boost its offensive power? At least monks go all the way with the concept and forsake weapons as well. At the very least, the monk's lack of arms and armor would let them pass as harmless peasants.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

The Kensai concept is dumb. Would a turtle ditch its shell so it could run faster? Would a dragon remove its scales to boost its offensive power?

Ahem. They're called "mages".
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Pantalion said:

Ahem. They're called "mages".

And mages have several spells that replace armor, and that's not even referring to Mirror Image/Stoneskin/PFMW/Absolute Immunity. Kensai ditch their armor and don't get any direct replacements to it, as far as I know (don't play them myself).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    That's why they're kensai->mages