Skip to content

Fallout 76 confirmed!?

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
edited November 2018 in Off-Topic
https://
Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Yes, Fallout76 is confirmed. It's old news already. Your comment also is not necessary.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Well it's unlikely to get better after they already pretty much removed the RP from Fallout 4.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    O_Bruce said:

Yes, Fallout76 is confirmed. It's old news already. Your comment also is not necessary.

I just don't like the relentless Champions of classic Fallout and their vitriolic behaviour and they are a easy target. Like i said before, i do dislike Todd ''Tell Me Lies'' Howard's use of the Fallout series, but i'm not as enraged about lore issues as those guys. I think Beth should put Fallout on hiatus and concentrate on making a new and better Elder Scrolls game, and maybe hire Chris Avellone as one of the Writers. A Elder Scrolls game written by Avellone is my wet dream.

@BelleSorciere
    I think they "Beth" should hand over the license to Obsidian for good, simply because "Beth" doesn't care about lore, consistency nor even respect the franchise and Fallout 4 was clear sign of that.

As for Elder Scrolls, I don't care. It's not my problem nor it ever be mine.

Well it's unlikely to get better after they already pretty much removed the RP from Fallout 4.

Agree, FO4 was a disaster in terms of roleplaying.
    O_Bruce said:

I think they "Beth" should hand over the license to Obsidian for good, simply because "Beth" doesn't care about lore, consistency nor even respect the franchise and Fallout 4 was clear sign of that.

I don
    O_Bruce said:

O_Bruce said:

I think Obsidian doesn't have the resources to make a next-gen Fallout game without the help of Bethesda's engines.

Morrowind is a pretty good RPG though. Maybe you should stop following my posts.
    I think it is matter of me simply browsing through recent discussions. I also think it is more rational explanation than suggesting that I follow your posts for whatever reason.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Rumor is it's supposed to be yet another online survival game. I never wanted a fallout MMO and will skip it, if that's the case.

And ya, the writing in 4 was pretty weak. The game play tweaks did make the combat a lot more fun, though. I would love to have Obsidian do more with the IP. I never got into the originals, but New Vegas was one of the greatest games ever. Every time I've tried to play the originals, I feel like I'm fighting the interface more than the enemies in the game, and decide it's not worth it.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    we could have lived in a world where troika had the rights to fallout. but then we would not have new vegas so i dunno.

Rumor is it's supposed to be yet another online survival game. I never wanted a fallout MMO and will skip it, if that's the case.

And ya, the writing in 4 was pretty weak. The game play tweaks did make the combat a lot more fun, though. I would love to have Obsidian do more with the IP. I never got into the originals, but New Vegas was one of the greatest games ever. Every time I've tried to play the originals, I feel like I'm fighting the interface more than the enemies in the game, and decide it's not worth it.

I couldn't get into FO1 and 2 the same way i got into Baldur's gate. The turn based mechanic made the games a chore to get through.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Fallout 1 and 2 had the same weakness--combat is *lethal*, especially early in the game when armor is expensive and rare. When I first started playing Fallout 2 there were several times I died while trying to walk from Arroyo to Klamath, which prompted me to rethink how I designed a new character.
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited June 2018
    Still disappointed not to be Fallout 1 EE.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited June 2018
    Fallout 1+2 had combat balancing problems.

In the beginning you were dead meat. The game had a brief balance in the middle, and then in the end you're impervious to anything except the very hardest of fights and are DROWNING in guns and ammo.

Plus you could skip 99.9% of the game as evidenced by speed runs that take like 10 minutes to win the game.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Anyone else love Fallout 4? I can't stop playing it. I hadn't heard of fallout until Fallout 3 came along. I started playing Fallout 1 recently... I do like it, but not nearly on a level with 3, 4, or BG.

In Fallout 1, I went to Junktown, and the gate guard was like "you can't enter it's night" and I was like "I've just travelled freaking miles to get here and need a water pump urgently.'... so long story short, I entered and was forced to kill about 20 guards who attacked me. I still have 100 odd days to find the pump. I feel like I broke the game :#

I couldn't get into FO1 and 2 the same way i got into Baldur's gate. The turn based mechanic made the games a chore to get through.

I don't even mind turn based combat, or the difficulty. Hell, I backed Wasteland 3 and play games like xcom, divinity: OS and the shadowrun games. The interface decisions in the old fallouts just drive me nuts, you have to right click then left click on the only option to do anything, and I don't know if I ever figured out how to reload a gun outside of combat before it was empty. I think it definitely speaks to how well designed the original Baldur's Gate interface was, and for the most part holds up pretty well today (except for cleric/thieves and cleric/mages, but it's still not anywhere near as maddening as fallouts).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Meanwhile I'm just sitting here thinking to myself, "Fallout 3 was REALLY fun, I should play it again."
    Apparently both 3 and New Vegas just got updates in the steam db, triggering lots of speculation about what it could mean. Updates? New Content? Who knows?
    https://steamdb.info/app/22300/dlc/
    https://steamdb.info/app/22380/dlc/
    ThacoBell said:

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here thinking to myself, "Fallout 3 was REALLY fun, I should play it again."

Careful, you May be labeled as a filthy casual by the oldschool fans for liking a post-Morrowind Bethesda game.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I think a multiplayer/online survival game set in the Fallout world could be interesting... I certainly won't dismiss it outright. But then, as somebody who has clocked up 88 hours in The Long Dark (hey, it's a lot for me! :p ), and who only plays Fallout 4 in survival mode, I think it's fair to say that I quite like survival games. ;)

Combat in Fallout 1 was brutal, but I like it that way, so long as there's a suitable way to mitigate the risk. "You've just stepped out into a world that you never knew before, and you're suddenly a professional soldier!" doesn't make much sense to me (though in fairness, neither does "the future of everyone in here is relying on you, so I'm going to send you out into the world with no help, no supplies, and not even a clue where to go!" doens't either). But also, "okay, so you walk 100 metres and meet a Deathclaw! Good luck!" isn't much fun either. :lol:
    ThacoBell said:

To give Falout 3 some credit, it really looked as if Bethesda had the best intentions for the game, just was too unfimilar with the franchise and what Fallout is about. Now, with Fallout 4, I think there never were good intention involved at all.

Regarding what was said about first two Fallout games, here. Yes, I agree the UI was designed poorly - but if I can learn it and get used to it pretty quickly, so can everyone else. And yes, I agree that those Fallout games were brutal, especially at beginning. And I love them for it, that really created a atmosphere of hostile and brutal post-apocaliptic world. Come to think about it, atmosphere, or the mood, whatever you call it, is my very favourite things about 2 first Fallouts. BAthesda will never come with anything closer to that.
    Yeah I won't claim the original fallout games have a great UI but it's not horrible. Certainly not unplayable.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

ThacoBell said:

Careful, you May be labeled as a filthy casual by the oldschool fans for liking a post-Morrowind Bethesda game.
    That's okay, I have enough infamously difficult games and challenge runs under my belt to feel secure in my gaming ability.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited June 2018
    Squire said:

"You've just stepped out into a world that you never knew before, and you're suddenly a professional soldier!" doesn't make much sense to me (though in fairness, neither does "the future of everyone in here is relying on you, so I'm going to send you out into the world with no help, no supplies, and not even a clue where to go!" doens't either). But also, "okay, so you walk 100 metres and meet a Deathclaw! Good luck!" isn't much fun either. :lol:

To which I have to wonder...what are you EATING (and drinking) for some 200 days?

There's food in Fallout, sure, but you rarely EAT it. I more often use it for barter balancing or even quests than eat it myself.

The Vault Dweller coming out of V13 would be terrified to eat.

Also, I make sure to keep Dogmeat happy with it by at least weekly feedings.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    @Quickblade you do have to if you play in survival mode. ;)
    What do you eat in BG? Or Call of Duty?
    Western video games, especially western rpgs, used to be made by niche gaming nerds for niche gaming nerds while the console crowd ignored them. Now western videogames became AAA products sold on consoles. (though Spyro, Crash Bandicoot and Banjo Kazooie are western videogames made for consoles, and i can't deny i grew up with them and loved them so don't call me a ''PC Master Race'' douchebag)

I think Zenimax and Bethesda never had a soul for Fallout to begin with, in my opinion.

They looked at Fallout and saw a dying franchise from a dying company (Interplay) with a small but dedicated fan base that served as an excellent opportunity for making them money (A bit like how Zenimax assimilated Bethesda because of TES). I'm sure their parent company Zenimax pushed them to buy because their investors are greedy and want to turn gaming into the next Hollywood, so they bagged it and shared much of Oblivion's ideas in a new theme.

Turns out people really like Oblivion (despite being a bit watered down from Morrowind) and the hype among the original Fallout fan base was real, so they had plenty of sales. By 2010, Skyrim was nearing completion and probably cost them a shit ton of money they weren't going to have, but they weren't about to give up on their own baby, TES. So, they found the people who worked on the old Fallout games and paid them to develop a spin-off that would be non-committal, netting them enough to finish off TES:V and hype up the original Fallout fans again, who were frustrated by the lore and roleplaying inconsistencies of Fallout 3, with New Vegas.

But, Skyrim itself had been watered down from Oblivion for mass market appeal and its only saving grace was its modability and now-maturing fan base from Oblivion. Something they would milk as long as they could. By the time Fallout 4 came out (which had a revival in hype thanks to New Vegas' appeal to the older fans while maintaining the familiarity of Fallout 3's formula) the folks who joined in from New Vegas were as aged as the Oblivion crowd when Skyrim came out. It was the peak of interest in their games and they sought to meld what sold Skyrim with a further-casualized Fallout 3. Of course we know how that went.

edited June 2018
    What are you, casul? Git gud.

Sorry, wrong game.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    I actively encourage people in this discussion to keep in mind the forum rules:

9. Be nice, intelligent and respectful to other users.

The official Beamdog forums are a safe and constructive space to discuss game content and related items. It is okay for users to disagree with one another, but opinions must be expressed in a reasonable and polite manner. It is important to maintain an atmosphere of civility and respect, so that all voices may be heard.

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

we could have lived in a world where troika had the rights to fallout. but then we would not have new vegas so i dunno.

And everything would be super buggy and fanpatched to hell.

Come to think of it, I don't see a difference after all.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

They looked at Fallout and saw a dying franchise from a dying company (Interplay) with a small but dedicated fan base that served as an excellent opportunity for making them money (A bit like how Zenimax assimilated Bethesda because of TES).

That's not really what happened at all. Bethesda founded Zenimax.