Skip to content

If you could have 18 in one stat, what would it be?

1. If you could have 18 in one stat, what would it be?90 votes
    1. Strength
        3.33%
    2. Dexterity
      10.00%
    3. Constitution
      15.56%
    4. Intelligence
      15.56%
    5. Wisdom
      22.22%
    6. Charisma
      28.89%
    7. Other
        4.44%
mashedtatersZaghoulThacoBellRik_KirtaniyaAedanRavenslight

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    All of my stats are already R-18.
    mashedtaterslolienGrimjackMV
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    In real life, I value intelligence above all other things. Whether that's actually intelligent of me or not is surely arguable.
    mashedtatersMathsorcererChroniclerProont
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    When rolling 3d6, as we do for pencil/paper stats, the expected value is 10.5 while the standard deviation is 2.958. A score of 18 in intelligence is (18 - 10.5)/2.958 = 2.5354969574 standard deviations above the norm. In this world, IQ has an expected value of 100 with a standard deviation of 15 (this is the generally-accepted statistic among psychologists), so 2.5354969574 standard deviations above the norm equates to (2.5354969574*15)+100 = 138.0324, which we will round to 138. I have a score higher than that, so my intelligence score would already be an 18 in the pencil/paper system.

That is why I chose dexterity. This would make me more agile than I already am and would let me pursue the path of thief/mage, one of my favorite multiclass combinations (swashbuckler/mage if playing neutral or good, assassin/mage if playing evil).
    mashedtatersThacoBellProontPokota
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Charisma. Why not intelligence or wisdom? Because I believe those two needs to be developed and go hand in hand. And social skills, charisma etc is also a good predictor of success in modern world.

Also, I can develop my knowledge and learn how to use it better. Developing charisma is much harder.
    mashedtatersThacoBellProontsarevok57
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I think I answered in a similar thread that I'd take strength, so I could beat up the nerds who took int and wis and get their lunch money or something. Hard to go against con irl though. A long healthy life, no other stat beats that.
    mashedtatersO_BrucelolienProont
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    But are they really friends or just groupies? You don't need 18 Cha to make a few good friends, and a few good friends is all I need.

I have bad str and Con; good dex and cha; high Int, but probably what gets me far in life is my insight on when to do and not to do things, when to be pragmatic and when not to be, so I interpret that as wisdom.
    mashedtatersThacoBelllolienProont
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Who needs charisma when you can just get a Ring of Human Influence?
    mashedtatersProont
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Mathsorcerer: I was thinking real life stats for this one. If I had to pick one for the games, then...

BG: 18 Constitution
    BG2: 18 Wisdom
    IWD: 18 Dexterity
    IWD2: 18 Intelligence
    MathsorcerermashedtatersProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I don't think I would have 18 in any stat, but my int is high enough for anything I realistically need it for (sometimes its gaining the knowledge that is difficult). I have good CON, I don't get sick easily and I recover quickly when I do. STR is probably my dump stat, but its relatively easy to train.

So I'd go with DEX, it would be extremely useful in day to day life, as well as extreme situations, and can be quite difficult to increase.
    mashedtatersMathsorcererlolienProont
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Everyone on the internet having genius level intelligence is as old as all internet arguments inevitably invoking a comparison to Hitler.

Having equivalent of 18 in any stat would be amazing. Chose Charisma because I’m a creature of base instinct and who doesn’t want to be irresistible to women/preferred orientation? Also you’d fly up the corporate ladder through sheer persuasion / blagging ability and be filthy rich.

ThacoBellRaduzielmashedtatersProont
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2018
    Interesting feedback on my choice. I will take it to heart.
    Grond0RaduzielmashedtatersProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Raduziel said:

I like the way Plato thinks.

If you think you're wise, then you're not.

I think it depends on the person. I'll agree that MOST people overestimate themselves. But I wouldn't call it universal. What people think is wise will also vary from person to person, depending on personal values, philosophy, etc. So its about as hard to quantify as intelligence.
    semiticgoddessmashedtatersProont
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    edited June 2018
    An 18 Charisma would help with my speaking skills. I'm a fair writer, but I'm awful at conversation.

I've always liked bards and sorcerers over mages and clerics anyway. :P
    ProontThacoBellMirandel
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I feel that my intelligence, wisdom and charisma would all go up a few points if I had 18 constitution.
    mashedtatersAerakar