Skip to content

The World Cup 2018 - Discussion, Opinions, and Prediction game

Comments

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    And here are my predictions, may they serve as a warning to other players :blush:

Uruguay - France: 1-1 (France wins on penalties)

Brazil - Belgium: 3-1 (Belgium's defense isn't great, which is lethal against Neimar & Co)

Sweden - England: 1-0 (Heja Sverige!)

Russia - Croatia: 1-3
    JuliusBorisovSkatanStummvonBordwehr
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'm not in the predictions, just popping in to see your guesses, especially on the match England vs Sweden. Interesting that most of you vote for Sweden. I hope you are all right! :)

It's a tough tournament to try and predict this year! Kudos to all of you who score some predictions.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrGrond0
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Final match will be Brazil x Sweden.
    JuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Uruguay - France: 1-2

Brazil - Belgium: 2-2

Sweden - England: 0-1

Russia - Croatia: 0-1
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited July 2018
    Interesting. It seems everyone has different opinion on how each of these matches will end.

Before the tournament, I wondered which team would become the one I would care about the most. Like Wales on the Euro 2016. And now when I see even predictions about England winning I understand that I have found such team because of the feel I have inside. Reddit, for example, is full of people confident England will win.

Don't know how exactly, but Sweden have won my heart. I have to prepare for a (another) disappointment...
    Skatan
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited July 2018
    The last 5 matches between France & Uruguay have featured a total of precisely one goal (for Uruguay). Uruguay have conceded almost no goals this year, perhaps because they have Athletico's defence. Maybe I should rethink that prediction, the fun often stops in the latter stages of the World Cup...
    Montresor_SP
    France can always count on Suarez doing something stupid.
    Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Uruguay - France 2-3

Brazil - Belgium 2-1

Sweden - England 1-2

Russia - Croatia 1-2
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
    Raduziel said:

Only if something is eating him. :wink:

(sorry...)
    JuliusBorisovRaduzielStummvonBordwehrFinneousPJ
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342

Raduziel said:

Only if something is eating him. :wink:

(sorry...)
    If so I would give him the cold shoulder...

(Double sorry...)

Montresor_SPJuliusBorisovFinneousPJ
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    :( Uruguay lost
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited July 2018
    @elminster Sorry, but Uruguay was without Cavani.

And now:

yeah, what do people even find in Belgium? :smiley:

Roberto Martinez knows how to build giant-killers!
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited July 2018

Roberto Martinez knows how to build giant-killers!

Certainly looking good at half-time ...

And did just enough to hang on :).
    Post edited by Grond0 on
    JuliusBorisov
    And here we go. Nobody in this thread could predict a future champion. Officially.

And I'd say: this is great to see. The football world deserved new heroes, new stories and new teams. Well done, Belgium. Too bad they'll have to face France not in the final...
    StummvonBordwehr
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Belgium have a secret weapon... Thierry Henry :p

So England Sweden tomorrow... 11am for those in Brazil (pretty useless for most here heh).
    Having followed England devotedly since 1986, I can say England are the underdogs... We won once a very long time ago, most people in England dream of winning once within their life time. We only made the semi finals twice (including the win in 66). We'll keep dreaming and never surrender, but routing for England is supporting the underdog :#
    Raduziel
    edited July 2018
    Brazil dominated the game. One player made Brazil lost: Paulinho.

Removing Paulinho and putting Renato Augusto in his place made the team actually play. That position is crucial for Brazil because it is usually a free man that joins the attack (as the defense is already busy with Coutinho, Neymar, and Jesus).

Tite took too long to change the team. He could've swapped Fernandinho for Geromel as the former was clearly in a lame day. I think the OG messed with him too much. Douglas Costa is a better player than William and proved that in every game that he had the chance to come and play.

I'm pissed off because I keep my opinion that Belgium is a sh*tty overpraised team with only two good players (Lukako and Hazard). Brazil lost to a lame team because of one player and a bad decision from the manager.

And whoever is from Brazil gets even angrier because we know that Tite is biased towards Paulinho as he was one of the key players of the Corinthians campaign that gave Tite the opportunity to guide the National Team. He just can't see when Paulinho is not performing well.

Despite the defeat, Brazil fell making me proud. Belgium had not a single moment of peace and Courtois deserves a prize for what he did today. As a cr*ppy team should feel when facing the greatest champion of this tournament.

Well, f*ck. See you guys in four years.
    StummvonBordwehrMontresor_SPfluke13
    edited July 2018
    De Bruyne is at least as good as Hazard & Lukaku, though his role is somewhat deeper for Belgium than at club level. Belgium are a good side but they have been giving Japan & Brazil every opportunity to score against them, as is usual for a Martinez team! They'll need to tighten up vs. France.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
    What a run for Russia. Who would have guessed they would even make it this far!
    Grond0Montresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Onwards to the next two matches.

France - Belgium 2-1
    Could be an exciting match. My guess is that France will triumph in the end.

England - Croatia 2-0
    Croatia made it to the semi-finals by the skin on their teeth. England will prevail.
    Predictions for the semifinals:

France - Belgium: 2-2 (France to win in extra time)

England - Croatia: 1-1 (Croatia to win on penalties :wink:)

From my results in the quarterfinals, it looks like any team I predict as winner is doomed. Also, it will be difficult to keep any of the teams from scoring. I expect two close matches (so it will probably be 7-1 or something like that :grin:).

Of the four remaining teams, France and England have been in one WC final each, and won. Belgium and Croatia have both reached the semifinals.

Bonus prediction: France wins, Croatia gets silver. The winner of the match for third place is, as they say, the team that is the least disappointed after losing a semifinal; that will be Belgium. Sorry England!
    edited July 2018
    Don't worry, then England reserves will get to claim revenge in the rematch vs Belgium reserves.

Wish they'd get rid of the 3rd place match. No-one wants to be there.
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
    edited July 2018
    I really think Croatia are tired. They fought 240 mins + nervous penalties, while young and fast England just keep improving their game.

I think France are strong favourites here. But Belgium can score a lot. I expect something like France - Argentina here.

France - Belgium 3:2
    England - Croatia 2:1

What a tournament this is! Very exciting. Let's enjoy the remaining 4 matches.
    FinneousPJMontresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    France vs. Belgium - 4:2 (both teams showed the great scoring potential in precious games)

England vs. Croatia - 2:1 (Croatia is too tired to win this game. I'd love to see them winning, but I think not this time).
    StummvonBordwehrMontresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    I guess I have to post my predictions as well. Not that any of the previous has been accurate...

FRA-BEL: 2-2 (France winning on penalties).
    An exiting match, where both teams arent weigthed down by a tactical clever coach...

ENG-CRO: 1-1 (Croatia winning on penalties)
    Two teams with tired players - an unwilling tactical match due to fatigue. Croatia has the shoot out training by now...
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I've made the same, stubborn prediction every single time they have played... I refuse to say it this year... As a talisman of luck...
    JuliusBorisov
    Do you guys think the Ballon d'Or will finally go to not Ronaldo or Messi this year
    JuliusBorisov