Skip to content

Fallout 76 confirmed!?

Comments

• voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248

ThacoBell said:

@ThacoBell They made System Shock (and 2)

Ah okay. That would explain it. I don't like system shock. *cue boos and hisses fromt he crowd. Maybe the occasionaly thrown vegetable.*
    You are not alone.

I though it was slow, clumsy and pretentious.

I didn't like Deus Ex for the same reasons.

;)
    Proceeds to throw tomatoes at Finneouspj for dissing Deus Ex.
    What the hell?
    Sorry. Sorry. I mistook you for voidofopinion.

ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm convinced that the quote system is a basic form of illusion magic, as people get switched around all the time with long chains.

Yeah, I never got to play system shock when it first came out and I picked it up for the first time on GoG about 3 years ago. Without nostalgic feelings, it really hasn't aged well. The story and writing was perfectly fine, it was just a chore to play mechanically speaking. I do really like the Thief series though.
    fluke13
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Finally decided to fire up fallout 4 for the first time on this rig, and I have to wonder if the game is trying to tell me something.

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    ThacoBell said:

I'm convinced that the quote system is a basic form of illusion magic, as people get switched around all the time with long chains.

Yeah, I never got to play system shock when it first came out and I picked it up for the first time on GoG about 3 years ago. Without nostalgic feelings, it really hasn't aged well. The story and writing was perfectly fine, it was just a chore to play mechanically speaking. I do really like the Thief series though.

The first one has been remastered, which helps quite a bit from a interface perspective. I don't assume you are talking about 2, since it is fairly modern and intuitive all things considered. The first game however is very much a "DOS" RPG with everything that entails as far as control schemes go. System Shock was the next step after Ultima Underworld, and that game in particular is praised even today for having about as good UI as you can possibly expect from that time period. The auto-map and the ability to make notes on it is still the gold standard in that department. Doom and Wolfenstein 3D get all the credit (and they deserve it), but Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 and System Shock are far more impressive and important to actual game design, and were also technically superior in many ways as well. System Shock 2 has an interface pretty similar to Deus Ex. The first two Thief games are just, wow, I don't even have the words to praise them sufficiently.

This time period was so good. You had Bioware, Black Isle and Interplay. You had Looking Glass. You had Troika. You had New World Computing. You had Blizzard before Activision. All of them churning out classic after classic after classic from the mid-90s to the early-2000s. There isn't anything remotely like it today.
    Apparently there's a petition demanding a single player only game
    https://change.org/p/bethesda-keep-the-lone-wanderer-wandering-alone

I signed it, not that I really expect it to do anything. Who knows, it might get their attention.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

I signed it, not that I really expect it to do anything. Who knows, it might get their attention.

Fallout as you have known it is, essentially, dead. What you'll get with Fallout 76 is an amalgamation of the Survival Mode and the base building elements of Fallout 4. The world will be 4 times as large, but I'm guessing it will be wide-open spaces signifying nothing, as that space will be used by all the players to claim territory. I don't see how they can make a game 4x as large as Fallout 4, which was already massive, and make it legitimate content rather than just terrain. I don't even think this game is going to be making a pretense of being an RPG anymore. It will be a survival/shooter game.

As for the online element, we are fighting a losing battle. The only games that are going to be single-player exclusively anymore (more the most part) are going to come from crowd-funding and indie developers. Sure you'll get some legit single-player experiences like Uncharted. Some games like Dark Souls will have legitimately interesting and innovative PvP. But the most popular games in the world right now are sandbox shooters, MOBAs, and Call of Duty clones. I'm guessing most people here don't have much interest in any of that junk. But that is where Fallout is going, and it probably isn't coming back.
    FinneousPJThacoBellMathsorcerer

Fallout as you have known it is, essentially, dead. What you'll get with Fallout 76 is an amalgamation of the Survival Mode and the base building elements of Fallout 4. The world will be 4 times as large, but I'm guessing it will be wide-open spaces signifying nothing, as that space will be used by all the players to claim territory. I don't see how they can make a game 4x as large as Fallout 4, which was already massive, and make it legitimate content rather than just terrain. I don't even think this game is going to be making a pretense of being an RPG anymore. It will be a survival/shooter game.

As for the online element, we are fighting a losing battle. The only games that are going to be single-player exclusively anymore (more the most part) are going to come from crowd-funding and indie developers. Sure you'll get some legit single-player experiences like Uncharted. Some games like Dark Souls will have legitimately interesting and innovative PvP. But the most popular games in the world right now are sandbox shooters, MOBAs, and Call of Duty clones. I'm guessing most people here don't have much interest in any of that junk. But that is where Fallout is going, and it probably isn't coming back.
    Part of the reason I backed Wasteland 3.

It has a multiplayer element to it, but the way it's done in a way that intrigues me. You can co-op with a friend (completely optional and single player's fully supported), and team up, but you can still play without them and affect he world. Potentially you could work for against each other. I might even play this as multiplayer if I can convince my friend to play it with me.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I just bought Conan Exiles earlier this year, and I'm assuming that's pretty much exactly what F76 is going to be like, except without dick physics. Then again, I don't really have any reference for multiplayer survival games besides that. But it features both survivaly stuff and base building.

I really hope that by "no npcs" they mean "no substantial npcs" and that we at the very least will still face human (or mutated human) enemies. Or that can work or guard your settlement.

Overall it's a strong wait and see for me. I'll probably not but it even if it seems good because of the multiplayer aspect.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @jjstraka34 Actually I AM talking about 2. It just feels so clunky to play.
  • ricoyungricoyung Member Posts: 83
    For all those dissing Fallout 76, I was also until I learned some things;
    The Making of Fallout 76 - Noclip Documentary:

This one goes into more game play detail:

And now I just may have to try it out :)
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @ricoyung Can you TL;DW?
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    lol, I was just going to share that same video!

* you don't lose anything for respawning (it's not an MMO, there's no XP/level/equipment loss)
    * serial griefers get a "wanted" rating - not quite sure how that works when there's no authority... maybe it's more of a reputation thing, but everyone will soon know who they are and will be able to "bounty hunt" them
    * you can easily move locations, and even servers, without losing anything if you do meet a serial griefer
    * there are quests, and they're trying to encourage players to cooperate on them rather than PVP
    * the nukes are designed as endgame content, and using it to grief players would a) waste it and b) be easy to recover from (apparently it generates an area of high-level loot (somehow) so the incentive is to get there first, not drop it on somebody else)
    * microtransactions are cosmetic only, there's no pay-to-win (like how it is in Elite)

That's the TL;DW version.
    FinneousPJ
    Thank you. No, I'm still not convinced it's the game for me.
    ThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I think the wanted level will dictate what server you get placed on. With a cap of 32 players per server, I’ll be easy to separate those who PvP to those who PvE.

I am still not 100% convinced about the story and game mechanics yet especially with the end game scenarios mentioned in the videos.

I was always under the impression that Fallout was about rebuilding civilization, not helping to destroy it further to obtain epic loot.
    ThacoBell
  • ricoyungricoyung Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2018
    Yeah, well from what I got on it it's basically an experiment...what would you do if you spent 2 mil on the multiplayer license for Fallout? would you not make use of it and at least try it out? or think "Oh gosh, the fans won't like it so 2 mil wasted, tough luck". Also it seems some are under the impression that FO76 is a replacement for FO5, that is not the case...as a matter of fact, now is about the best time for this release...not too soon after FO4 but just enough, and before their upcoming updated releases (FO5, Skyrim, etc). And from what I have heard, they had to jump through some hoops to even get multiplayer to work with the engine.
    So I'm up to try it out, if I don't like it then it goes in the box along side Lego Clone Wars...The box with the games I never play *I keep it around just to remind me :P
    Oh..and IMO I don't think "Rebuilding Civilization" was really in the script... Maybe a beginning in this (especially with mods) but not in totality...who knows, maybe FO5 will have the ability. lmao
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    what annoys me the most about 76 is that it set in a time frame we barly covered and they are going to do nothing with it.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Skipping this, as I have no interest in its co-op function. And its questionable that nexus mids will even be supported.

Also, still waiting for a Fallout game set outside the Americas. Post-apocalyptic Africa, Europe, Asia or Australia deserve some limelight too.
    voidofopinionThacoBell
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248

Also, still waiting for a Fallout game set outside the Americas. Post-apocalyptic Africa, Europe, Asia or Australia deserve some limelight too.

China.

>:)
    KamigoroshiThacoBellricoyung
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Squire said:

That doesn't change my opinion, I still want a single-player game, I don't want to meet other players in my game world. Game worlds mean being in control, for interaction, there's enough of that in the real world already.

ThacoBell
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    deltago said:

I was always under the impression that Fallout was about rebuilding civilization, not helping to destroy it further to obtain epic loot.

Maybe, but there were always groups trying to destroy it... or at least make life difficult for others so that their raider gangs can have more stuff.

That being said, it's not for everyone... I'm not sure it's for me either but I'll wait and see.

@Kamigoroshi I think they confirmed mod support will be a thing... and yeah, be nice to do Fallout in a different country to the USA for once! :lol:
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

Squire said:

That doesn't change my opinion, I still want a single-player game, I don't want to meet other players in my game world. Game worlds mean being in control, for interaction, there's enough of that in the real world already.

you always have this

Son_of_ImoenShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    edited July 2018
    BTW, this is the answer to the ''Fallout 3 is garbage'' video from a few years ago.

Really well made and respectful video, but i still think Todd & Co. have issues with Fallout's lore and roleplaying philosophy.

@BelleSorciere @Vallmyr

China.

>:)

Fallout New Paris.

BTW, this is the answer to the ''Fallout 3 is garbage'' video from a few years ago.

It's also just plain wrong, so there's that.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    I'm going to reserve judgment for the various game modes and mechanics and online components until release bc nobody in the world knows how its going to play out with 10's of thousands of players on all at once on live servers but I'm excited for Fallout 76 bc every Fallout game I've played has been very memorable in some way (even the bad ones) and Day 1 Bethesda games have hilarious bugs and memes that are fun to talk about. I'm tempering my expectations by going in expecting "an experience" rather than a game I'll be good at that is fun to play. Somebody's got to be on the forefront of whether or not a game is good or not, so I'm fine being that person in the case of a Fallout.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270

bleusteelShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    scriver said:

Why?

scriver said:

Why?
    Because at 3 minutes, when I decided to stop listening, I did not agree with what he was saying.
    scriver said:

scriver said:

Why?
    Because at 3 minutes, when I decided to stop listening, I did not agree with what he was saying.
    He doesn't say that FO3 is the best game of the series. He says that it's not as bad as the oldschool fans Say.

scriver said:

scriver said:

Why?
    He doesn't say that FO3 is the best game of the series. He says that it's not as bad as the oldschool fans Say.
    That's a pretty pointless assertion. What matters is whether it is a good Fallout game. It is not.